I still didn't fall in love

The red string of fate

 

"It's you." the man called out.

Yoonjung turned her head towards the voice. The deep -pleasant to ear- voice. 

A man was leaning backward on a red motorbike on the side of the road, just a few meters away in front of her. He was wearing a helmet, so she couldn't see his face. 

She tried to ignore him at first, but he spoke again.

"I have been waiting for you." 

Yoonjung pointed to herself, "are you talking to me?" 

The man finally took off his helmet and she recognised the face in an instant. 

"You!" she exclaimed. 

He hung the helmet on the motor handle and started taking his gloves off. He showed one of his palm to her. "You wrote this, right?" 

Despite knowing exactly what was written there, she still came closer to look. It says 'go to maple store at xxx if you want your wallet back.' 

She didn't respond.

He then showed her the other hand, "and this"

it says 'get your act together. babo.'

She lifted her chin up, "yes. it was me who wrote them. so?" 

He folded both arms in front of his chest and looked at Yoonjung with one brow raised. It was as though he wanted to say something disrespectful, but instead, he placed both hands next to his body and gave her a 90degree bow. 

"I am sorry for that night. It was very wrong of me." he said firmly. He kept that position for a long time.

Flustered, she patted his arm repeatedly, "what are you doing? don't be like this in public." 

He finally straightened up, standing tall, towering over her. "Let me make it up to you."

"Don't worry about it, all forgiven and forgotten. You can go now." she walked pass him.

"Come on. Anything." he followed her inside the store, "Let me buy a meal. No? what about a gift? or... what about covering your shift?"

Yoonjung turned to him, "You don't even work here."

"I can apply!" he said bluntly. 

Yoonjung sighed. She reached for his hand, the one with the 'get your act together, babo' writing and turned it for him to read. Without saying anything, she left him to go inside the staff room.

"Kang, Hi!" 

The moment Yoonjung heard Heejin calling his name, she jumped and peeked from behind the door. She watched as Heejin and Kang casually chat, as if they have been friends for a long time. 

After about five minutes, Heejin walked towards the staff room dressed in the uniform.

"You know him??" Yoonjung asked abruptly, while trying to keep her voice down.

Heejin was startled, "Oh my, you scared me."

"You know that guy?" she asked again.

"Yah of course. He has been coming everyday the last two days looking for you." Heejin opened her locker and placed her handbag inside.

"You know who he is, right?"

Heejin tied her hair up and put on the uniform vest. "Yes of course. He was they guy who caused the scene a few days ago. You left early the next morning so you didn't know, but he came to collect his wallet and asked about what happened."

"Does it mean he didn't remember?" 

"He didn't" Heejin answered, "but he did remember being thrown to the floor. He just thought it was a guy who did it to him."

Yoonjung blined her eyes slowly. She was hoping he didnt remember any of it. 

"But I told him it was you." Heejin added.

"What?"

"Yah. I told him you were the one who tackled him and threw him on the floor."

Yoonjung's jaw dropped. "Then, what did he say?"

"He said he wanted to meet you. I told him you were out of town. When he asked when were you coming back, I didn't answer." Heejin continued in a whisper, "I was worried he would take revenge on you."

"OH no. Is that why he is here?" Yoonjung gasped.

Heejin laughed, "No. He is a nice guy actually. We have been talking everytime he visits, and he genuinely just wanted to thank you."

Yoonjung pulled a chair and sat down, "I don't want to go out now that he's there... can't you just tell him to go?"

"Ok." Heejin responded, without asking why. She left the room and Yoonjung could see her talking to him again. This time, it was a short conversation, and she saw him walking out of the store.

Yoonjung slowly came out of the staff room. 

"Did he leave?" Yoonjung asked.

"Yes."

"What did you tell him?"

"I told him you don't want to come out if he's here, so he should go." 

Yoonjung felt a little bit of dissapointment, but she didn't know why. 

"Ok, let's work!" Heejin clapped her hands together before bending down to get a box of snacks. "I will restock the snacks. You watch the counter, kay?"

Without replying, Yoonjung stood behind the counter, all the time watching the door. 

 

-----------------------------