Quiet/Loud/Quiet

More Ice Cream and Soju
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sei was the first to hear the sound of someone outside the door to their apartment. She shushed the other so she could hear better. She identified a man's voice, hopefully one of the guards, then a woman's voice that she thought was Manager-nim's. But she didn't fully relax until the apartment door opened and Suyeon, Lucy, and Rina walked in.

"Did you watch the show?" Lucy asked, as she took off her helmet and vest.

"No," Doyeon said, "we were watching reruns of 'Likeable or Not' - of course we watched you, you goober!"

This made them all laugh, something they hadn't really been able to do for the last few days.

Yoojung ran up and caught Suyeon and Lucy up in a hug. "You guys did great! And Rina and Joon-Ho, and your parents!"

When Yoojung released Lucy and Suyeon, Lua came up and said "Now that I know you guys made it back safely, I've got to get to bed so I can be on the radio tomorrow morning."

"Do you have to go down to the studio?" Suyeon asked.

Lua shook her head. "I wish - I've love a chance to see Min-Jun - but they're just having me over the phone."

"I'm sure Manager-nim prefers keeping you safely in the apartment," Suyeon said.

Lua nodded. "I'd thought of that." She said good night to everyone and headed back to her room.

The other members sat around talking for a while, but eventually everyone drifted off to bed except Suyeon and Elly, sitting on the couch.

"You should probably be getting to bed soon," Elly said. "You must be tired after everything that's happened today."

"I don't know if I could go to sleep if I tried," Suyeon said. "My thought just keep racing around and around. Besides, I'm the leader. I should be telling you to go get some sleep."

Elly scoffed at this idea. "It won't matter if I look worn out tomorrow," she said. "At best, I'll be there to stand in the background and support you and Lucy."

Suyeon reached out and put her hand on Elly's shoulder. "I never wanted this," she said. "I mean, for a while people treated Weki Meki like we were 'Yoojung and Doyeon and friends,' and now it looks like it's going to be 'Suyeon and Lucy and friends,' and I don't want that."

Elly smiled at Suyeon. "Of course you don't. I know that. It's just that right now you and Lucy are the center of the story. And maybe someday I'll be at the center of the story." Her face fell. "Of course, if being at the center of the story comes with death threats, I don't think I want it."

Suyeon laughed softly. "I'm pretty sure it doesn't always come with death threats. I think Lucy and I were just lucky." She tried to stop herself from yawning, but couldn't quite manage it. "On second thought, I think I'll take your advice and go to bed. But you should go to bed soon."

Elly nodded. "I will, in just a minute."

Suyeon got up and headed for her room, leaving Elly alone with her thoughts.

Lucy woke up a pounding in her head, accompanied by a roaring noise. When she climbed out of bed and walked across the room to get dressed, she discovered that the pounding and the roaring weren't in her head at all, but in fact outside her window. She peeked out the window and saw several hundred people gathered on the grass outside the building. They seemed to be divided into two roughly equal groups, one dressed largely in black and the other dressed in every color of the rainbow, and the groups alternated between yelling at each other and yelling at the building. A thin line of police officers with shields and batons had interposed themselves between the two groups, keeping the groups from actually touching. As she watched, she saw someone on the "dressed in black" side throw a water bottle over the police, hitting someone on the rainbow side in the head. Then someone in the crowd spotted her and pointed to her, and soon people on both sides were pointing at her and yelling. She had never been so glad their apartment was on the fifth floor.

Lucy backed away from the window, closing the curtains behind herself. She stood there a moment, trying to process what was goin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter