Tension

More Ice Cream and Soju
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Suyeon woke up, yawned and stretched. She looked around and saw that Rina and Lua were already up and out of the room, so she crossed over to the window and opened the curtains. The morning's bright sun streamed in, warming her face. She laughed as she remembered her dream from the night before.

Suyeon went out into the common room and saw that she was the last one to wake up.

"We figured you needed the sleep, so we let you sleep in," Doyeon said.

"Thanks," Suyeon said. "I feel great! I had the strangest dream last night. I dreamed that the Dispatch got a picture of me kissing Lucy and published it. Then we had to go on all these interview shows to try to control the damage and get people on our side..." Suyeon trailed off as she saw her members faces. Then it hit her. "That wasn't a dream, was it?"

Doyeon shook her head.

Suddenly Lucy was at Suyeon's side, putting her arm around her shoulders. "Let's go get you some breakfast," she said, leading Suyeon toward the kitchen, "and while you're eating, I'll get you caught up on everything that happened while you were asleep."

Elly rolled her eyes and started to make a snarky comment, but was cut off by Yoojung shushing her and turning up the TV.

"It's starting," Yoojung exclaimed.

On the TV, the morning news hosts began reading the story about Suyeon and Lucy, following it up with a clip from one of their talk show appearances. "After the commercials," one of the hosts said, "we're be taking to the streets to find out what people think about this story."

"Lucy, Suyeon, get in here!" Doyeon yelled. "You're going to want to see this."

Lucy and Suyeon rushed in, Suyeon still holding half of a bagel.

"What do we want to see?" Suyeon asked.

"They're about to go talk to people on the street about you," Doyeon said.

Doyeon and Yoojung scooted to opposite ends of the couch so Lucy and Doyeon could sit between them. After a couple of minutes, Lucy started getting impatient.

"How many commercials are they going to show?" she whined.

"As many as they can get away with," Lua said. "You two are the biggest K-pop news story in months, so all the companies want a piece of the audience."

"Okay, it's starting," Suyeon said, leaning forward.

"We're on the streets of Seoul," the report said as he walked down the sidewalk, "asking people what they thing of the revelation that Weki Meki's Lucy and Suyeon are in a lesbian relationship."

For five minutes, were a blur, people of all ages and genders, some speaking approvingly of Lucy and Suyeon, others disapproving.

"Look!" Lucy yelled, pointing at the screen. "It's her!" Sure enough, the last person the reporter talked to, was the fan who'd had her picture taken with Lucy and Suyeon the night before. She grabbed the reporter's arm, wouldn't let him take the microphone away, and made an impassioned plea for all Ki-Lings - no, she corrected herself, all Koreans - to support Suyeon and Lucy and move toward a more accepting future.

Finally, the reporter was able to free his arm and regain control of the microphone. "And there you have it," he said, "lots of strong opinions on both sides. We'll just have to wait and see how this turns out."

When the show switched back to the anchors in the studio, they moved on to another story and Yoojung turned off the TV.

"That's about enough of that," she said. "We could sit here and watch TV all day and probably wouldn't get anything better than that."

"Have we heard from Manager-nim this morning?" Lucy asked.

Elly shook her head. "Not yet. She's probably been in meetings all morning. I'm hoping she'll come over around lunch time with some news for us."

Just then there was a knock at the door. Sei jumped up and ran to the door. She looked through the peephole, then turned back, a confused look on her face. "It's some strange ahjussi," she said. "What do I do?"

Suyeon got up and looked through the people. "That's not a strange ahjussi!" she said. "That's my dad!" She opened the door and the man rushed in and swept her up in a hug. When he finally let her go, she said "Hi Appa! What are you doing here? And where's Eomma?"

"I'm here to support you!" her father said. Then his face fell, the smile that had been lighting it up vanishing. "But your mother's not here. She's ashamed of you, thinks that what you're doing is wrong. We fought about it last night after your manager called. We fought for hours. When we finally stopped when we went to sleep, then when we got up we fought some more. Abo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter