Deception and Contrition

More Ice Cream and Soju
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sei looked up from her journal as Doyeon came into the dorm. "Hey!" she said. "You look particularly happy today!"

Doyeon spun around, a look of complete and utter bliss washing over her face. "I'm in love!" she proclaimed.

"So Min-soo finally found himself?" Sei asked.

"Min-who?" Doyeon asked with a laugh. "Oh, no - I am so far over him now! No, I met a guy at the liquor store when I was picking up the supplies for Rina's party," she said, gesturing to the shopping bags she'd put down when she came in the door. "His name is Sung-hoon. He's an attorney. He works for a company that makes some kind of farming equipment - I don't even know what it is. He was in the store to buy a bottle of whiskey as a retirement present for his boss and we started talking while we were in the checkout line. And he waited for me after he checked out, and we went and got dinner from a food truck and sat at a table in the park across the street and ate. His mother called him on KakaoTalk and he introduced me to her, which was really nice and not at all as weird as it sounds. He offered to drive me home, but I wouldn't let him because our dorm was in the opposite direction from the park as his apartment, so he insisted on waiting with me until my cab showed up, then he helped me load my bags in the trunk - not that I needed help, but it was such a nice gesture!" She sighed and ground to a halt, like a windup toy that had run down.

"He sounds like a really great guy," Sei said with a smile. She was glad to see Doyeon happy again. To have Min-soo bail on her at a really stressful time when she could have used his support the most had really brought her down. She could fake energy and excitement when they were on camera, and nothing could ever make Doyeon give less than 110% in practice, but during off times, they could all see how depressed she was, and nothing they could do seemed to help. "So. . . when are you going to see him again?"

"Friday night," Doyeon said. "He's going to pick me up from the studio after we finish filming, then take me out for a late dinner."

Suyeon walked in just in time to hear the end of this. "What's this about a late dinner?"

"Doyeon met a guy at the store," Sei said, "and he's taking her out to dinner after we finish filming Friday."

Suyeon looked at Doyeon, who repeated the whole story for her.

"He sounds like a really great guy," Suyeon said. "So you're over Min-soo?"

Doyeon nodded. "Totally and completely over Min-soo. I'm done with him." She mimed washing her hands.

Just then Lua came into the apartment. "Doyeon! Glad I found you! Min-soo came here to talk to you. I made him wait in the lobby downstairs."

Doyeon blanched. "Min-soo's here? What do I do?"

"Weren't you just telling us you were over him?" Suyeon asked.

"I was," Doyeon said, "but telling him that to his face is a little bit different."

"Want me to go send him on his way," Lua asked.

Doyeon shook her head. "No, I'll go talk to him. For all the he ended up being a weasel, we had a lot of good times together and he deserves to get broken up with properly, not ghosted." She put on her shoes and left the apartment.

"I hope it goes well for her," Suyeon said, "but in the meantime I've got to get started on dinner." Suyeon went over to the kitchen area of the apartment and started cutting up shrimp and vegetables and making batter to make seafood pajeon for dinner. After about 15 minutes, she looked around. "Did Doyeon come back?" she asked.

Lua looked up from her phone. "No, not yet. Do you want me to go get her?"

Suyeon poured some vegetable oil into the skillet that had been heating on the stove. "Yeah, you'd better," she said as she scooped the batter for the first pajeon into the skillet. "She might need a rescue, and even if she doesn't, she probably wants dinner."

After a couple of minutes, Lua came back into the apartment with Doyeon, who looked angrier than Suyeon had ever seen her. Her mascara had run down her face and her whole body was quivering with nervous energy.

"Min-soo was here, and he'd brought some other guy with him," Lua explained. "When I got down there, Lua and Min-soo were screaming at each other, so I made him and the other guy leave. I don't know what was going on, but I could tell it wasn't good." She looked at Doyeon. "Who was that other guy?"

"That was Sung-hoon," Doyeon snapped.

"The guy from the liquor store?" Suyeon asked.

Doyeon nodded. "Apparently he wasn't a lawyer who worked for a farming equipment company - he was a private investigator that Min-soo had hired to see if I would be faithful to him while he was out 'finding himself.' As if I had ever - ever! - given him any reason not to trust me!" Just then Doyeon's phone beeped. She took it out of her pocket and looked at it for a minute, then started laughing hysterically.

"Was that Min-Soo?" Lua asked.

Doyeon shook her head, wiping her eyes and trying to stop laughing. Once she was down to the occasional giggle, she tried talking again. "It was Sung-Hoon," she said. "He said that he really liked me, that he would have come clean with me in the park except that he needed Min-soo's money. He said he really hates being a PI, and he only does it so he can pay his way through his last ye

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter