Surprising developments

More Ice Cream and Soju
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The rally went surprisingly well. They were surrounded by so many people who were on their side that it was easy to forget that just the day before Joon-Ho had been attacked during a soccer game on national TV for supporting them. Even the cloud of black-clad right-wing counterprotestors that they had to pass through to leave the rally couldn't dim their spirits.  When they were being interviewed on TV that night, they constantly reminded the hosts of the park police's estimate of over a million people at the rally.

"That's a million people in a city of not quite ten million people," Suyeon said. "If you know ten people, odds are you know someone who was at the protests. If you look around your audience-" Suyeon gestured toward the audience- "odds are there are at least 20 people who went to the rally." Suyeon had looked up the capacity of the room where the show was filmed while they were in the green room waiting to come on.

Suddenly, Lucy stood up. "Come on, everyone in the audience!" she called out, loudly enough that the techs had to hurry to turn down the gain on her mike. "If you were at the rally at Blue House today, stand up!"

Suyeon estimated that at least half the audience stood up. She joined Lucy in standing. "That's what we're talking about. The Korean people are better, more tolerant, than the bigots would have you believe. The bigots want everyone to believe that most people are on their side but are afraid to say so. But look at who's being attacked and who's doing the attacking. All the violence is coming from the bigots. What are they claiming to be afraid of?"

The hosts tried in vain to regain control of the show, but the audience was cheering for Suyeon and Lucy, and for themselves, and nothing could stop them. In the end, the hosts had to end the show ten minutes early, leaving the network scrambling to find something to fill the time before the next show began.

When all the members of Weki Meki gathered back at the dorm after their interviews, they shared their experiences with each other. Not all of their experiences had been as positive as Suyeon and Lucy's, but they'd all been more positive than not.

"Is this the start of a new era in Korea?" Sei asked.

"Maybe, but I wouldn't bet on it," Lua said. "The more we win, the more the bigots will go out of their way to try to paint themselves as the victims, the more they'll lash out."

"I wish she wasn't right," Suyeon said, "but I'm afraid she is."

"So what do we do?" Rina asked, her despair written on her face.

"We keep fighting back," Lucy said, her voice low and fierce. "So long as we don't despair, we can win."

"Lucy's right," Suyeon said. "So long as we're here, they can't claim victory, and since biology has shown that there will always be gay people, they're never going to win. It might seem like they win sometimes, but they can't. It's a mathematical impossibility."

They all sat in silence for a moment, taking this in. Suddenly, Suyeon spoke up. "Yoojung, come help me make some snacks for everyone."

As they ransacked their fridge and cabinets to see what they could turn into snacks substantial enough to make up for the fact that they'd missed both lunch and dinner, Suyeon and Yoojung talked quietly.

"Are you ready to tell the others about your situation?" Suyeon asked.

"I think so," Yoojung said. "I-" She stopped suddenly when her phone rang. "Hello?"

Suyeon listened intently to Yoojung's half of the conversation, trying to figure out what was going on. Suddenly, the conversation ended with "OK. We'll be right down!"

"What's going on?" Suyeon asked.

"Jun-Seo's downstairs with food for us," Yoojung said. "He saw us on the news and everywhere on TV and he figured we probably didn't take time to eat today, so he bought us food and he's waiting downstairs to give it to us."

"Oh, wow!" Suyeon said. "That's really nice of him."

As they put on their shoes, Suyeon called out to the others "We're going downstairs for a minute! Be right back!"

As they waited for the elevator, Suyeon asked Yoojung if she had decided what her answer was going to be.

Yoojung nodded. "I'm going to tell him yes. I don't know exactly when or under what circumstances we're going to get married, but I'm going to say yes."

Suyeon leaned over and hugged Yoojung. "That's great!" she said. "I'm really happy for you."

Just then the elevator door opened. Yoojung and Suyeon stepped out of the elevator and even from across the lobby they could see the smile that lit up Jun-Seo's face when he saw Yoojung. Suyeon opened the door and took the box from him so he could give Yoojung a hug and a kiss.

"Um. . ." Yoojung said, "I've thought about what you asked me this morning."

"We don't have to talk about that right now," Jun-Seo said, blushing.

"Do you want me to head upstairs so you two can have some privacy?" Suyeon as

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter