Charm offensive

More Ice Cream and Soju
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Lucy took Suyeon's hand as they walked down the corridor away from the studio. "Two down, one to go," she said.

Suyeon nodded.

"I think it's going well," Lucy said, talking more to fill the silence than anything else.

"The interviewers are being nice," Suyeon said, "but we won't know until tomorrow morning whether or not the people in the audience liked what we had to say."

Lucy nodded as she pressed the call button for the elevator. "But at least it's better than having hostile interviewers," she said with a shrug.

Suyeon let out a mirthless laugh. "Best to take our good news wherever we can find it."

"Well, here's some more good news," Lucy said as she pulled Suyeon into the elevator and hit the button for the ground floor, "we've still got each other, no matter what happens." She leaned over for a quick kiss as the elevator descended.

As Lucy and Suyeon walked down the sidewalk to the studio where their third interview was to be held, Suyeon felt like every person they passed was staring at them disapprovingly. "It's all in your head," she thought. "Even if some of them disapprove, they can't all disapprove."

Suddenly a young woman with one side of her head shaved stepped out in front of them. "Suyeon and Lucy!" she exclaimed. "It really is you! I thought it was, and so I just wanted to come say I support you. Fighting!"

'Th- thank you," Suyeon stammered.

"Would you like to take a picture with us?" Lucy asked.

The young woman's eyes got wide and her jaw dropped. 'Would I? Yes, I'd love to!" Lucy positioned her in between herself and Suyeon, then the young woman took out her phone and snapped a picture.

"Just a second," Lucy said before the young woman could say good-bye and scamper away. Lucy pulled out her phone and handed it to the young woman. "Can you take another picture of us so Suyeon and I can have one too?"

"You want-" The young woman was practically speechless. "Of course! Okay, on three: Hana, tul, set!" She handed the phone back to Lucy. "You two make such a cute couple!" she said. "I hope everything works out okay for you!" And with that she said good-bye to them, bowed, and skipped away.

"Thanks," Suyeon called out after her.

"See," Lucy said. "I told you it would be okay."

"That did make me feel better," Suyeon admitted.

Just then Lucy's phone beeped. "We'd better hurry up - that beep means we've got five minutes to get to our next interview."

As it turned out, they made it with about ten seconds to spare. They caught their breath as they sat next to each other in the makeup chairs. And it was a good thing they allowed time, because of course the makeup artists had to clean off every bit of makeup that had been put on at the previous studio and totally redo them from scratch.

Finally, it was time - a producer was calling for them to get ready to go onstage. They thanked the makeup artists and made their way to a holding area offstage. Once the announcer finished introducing them, they were cued to make their way onstage. They waved at the audience on their way to their chairs. The applause seemed kind of sparse for the number of people in the audience, but they tried not to let that bother them.

"Welcome, welcome," said the host as he guided them to their seats.

"Thank you for inviting us," Suyeon said with a bow.

Once they were all seated, the guest who had been on before them, a comedian, made a somewhat homophobic joke. Suyeon blinked her eyes rapidly to get rid of the tears that were welling up with the audiences laughter.

"Well, er, yes," the host said, obviously somewhat uncomfortable. "That is, after all, what you're here to talk about. I'm guessing you're here to deny the article in the Dispatch?"

"No," Lucy said with a smile, "actually, we're here to confirm that it's true." She reached over and took Suyeon's hand.

The host was obviously not prepared for this turn of events. He looked to the side of the stage, where a producer was motioning "Keep going!" So he took a deep breath and prepared his next question. "So. . . you're saying that the two of you are involved in a homoual relationship?"

"Yes," Suyeon said, squeezing Lucy's hand and smiling. "That's exactly what we're saying. "Like millions of Koreans, we found love where we found it, not where society expected us to find it."

"And how long have you been together?" the host asked.

Suyeon named the date. "We had a dinner party to celebrate our label lifting our dating ban, and after ward Lucy took me out for coffee."

"And you are aware," the host went on, "that this scandal could mean the end of your careers?"

Lucy's eyes flashed. "When a politician is caught taking bribes, that's a scandal. When men are caught posting pictures of women, taken without their consent, to web forums, that's a scandal. This-" she lifted her hand, with Suyeon's clasped in it- "is just two people in love. We're certain that the Korean people are smart enough to see the difference."

"But what about your parents?" the host pressed. "How have they reacted to this?"

"We don't know," Suyeon said. "We've had

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter