choi sungyoon

☾ crescent eyes — a collection of short stories feat. golden child

 

 

you were always the lonely girl who found it hard to socialize with other students. you prefer to sit at the backstage of the school’s empty hall during recess rather than at the canteen. you love the backstage as it is your secret space, a place where you could be in your own world. you enjoy reading your book while sipping on some banana milk. 

 

it was just another day when you heard footsteps from the other side of the hall. you were startled as it was unusual for someone to be at the hall during recess. then you heard a soft melody from the piano being played. curiosity got the better of you when you tiptoed out from the backstage to peek at whoever was playing the piano. 

 

you hid behind the pillar as you stuck your head out, to see a boy in round glasses gracing the organ beautifully with his fingers. you saw the side of his face and recognized him. 

 

choi sungyoon, the senior one year above you. 

 

without your realization, you stayed behind the pillar while listening to him play the music for too long. when he was done, he turned his head around you immediately pulled your head back to hide. you were just praying that he didn’t see you there.

 

“who was it? come out! I know you were there,” he says. you were silently panicking and you could hear your heart on your ears. but before you could do anything, sungyoon suddenly appeared in front of you. 

 

“i-I’m sorry, I didn’t m-mean to lurk,” you stuttered while apologizing. you closed your eyes, embracing some sort of scolding from your senior. 

 

but what you heard next was a small laugh from that boy in round glasses. he cleared his throat, “don’t be scared. I’m not going to be angry at all.” you opened your eyes and saw him glowing with a smile. 

 

for the next few days, sungyoon would come to the hall to play the piano during recess. and you would watch him play while drinking your banana milk.

 

“you know,” he said at one time, “I used to come here to play for myself.” sungyoon then turned his gaze to look at you. 

 

“now I come here to play for you.” 

 

you’ve read a dozen of romance novels, but that was the first time you understood what first love really is.