Wherever You Will Go - Jung Eunbi (Eunha)

The Theorist

ba0aa50b845aa4f544a800f45b0f67b6.jpg

There she was, sat on her chair, giving you the attention you desperately needed from your girlfriend. You've been waiting for almsot ten (10) minutes for her to just turn around. Once she did, she looks like she's not even interested in the slightest bit as to why you were there. She just stares at you like you were just another insignificant figure in her life. You can read yourself in her eyes, and you knew in those moments, things can't go on like this. You stood up and clenched your fist to fight the overwhelming emotions coursing through your veins, and also to drive your mouth to saying the words that needed to be said. You looked down to look at your hand that's been clasping the ring you and Eunha bought for your first anniversary. You opened your palm, and placed the ring at the table in front of the couch.

"I can't do this anymore, Eunha. Here's the ring back, as for your other stuff I'll just drop-by your parents' house and hand it to the maid."
"You've gotta be joking at this point, baby. We've been together for three years already!"
"So let's keep it at that."
"Is this because I wasn't able to have dinner with you last night? I'm a busy woman, baby! You know that running my father's company is not that easy!" 
"Exactly. That's why I'm breaking up with you."
"We talked about this, I thought we both agreed on it?"
"It's not that I don't love you. It's because I do, very much. You're better off without me." 

Eunha takes off her glasses and starts massaging her temple with her fingers whilst her eyes were closed. You just turned around to head to the door to leave, and once you reached the knob, Eunha stands up from her chair to chase after you and aggressively pull your hand away from the handle.

"If you go out that door, you have nothing left to return to!" 

You turned around to face Eunha and take one last good look at her beautiful face, the face that you dreamed of waking up next to for the rest of your life. 

"It wasn't always like this, Eunha." 
"We had to grow up someday. We both knew I was gonna become this, we just didn't have time to perpare for it when my father died, and left this 'headache' all over my shoulders."
"Yeah, it's time to grow up, and grow apart." 
"We weren't always like this .... What happened to us?" Eunha asks whilst wiping the tear crawling down her right cheek.



Eunha was right, for it wasn't like this at all when things were still on its youth. It was the lasting days of November, when the leaves started to fall from their branches to signify a simpler time. Eunha has always been the most well-known girl in your college. She was the daughter of one of the richest CEO's in South Korea, whilst her family for generations has been regarded to be of descent from wealth.
Though Eunha was born with a silver spoon in , she still wanted to be like everybody else, and her parents wanted this for her as well - even if all of them knew one day Eunha was destined to be something more than that. You were in the same class with Eunha, though she's in Business Management, and you're in Social Studies - you were both united through one kismet; Literature
The day was a lax process in the room, when the professor called you to stand up and asked you to exchange a poem with someone in the class. 
The person you chose was Eunha, of course - 'cause around that time you've already developed feelings for her, even though you were invisible in Eunha's sights. You were an evident hopeless romantic, and half the class knew you had a big crush on Eunha. Maybe even the professor knew, and this was his way of either poking fun, or giving you a way to interact with your fancy. 

You walked upfront with a piece of paper you've been saving since when, and Eunha walks down the aisle as well. Once you two met at the front of the class. 

Eunha began with a piece from William Blakeaddressing her existence, and a manner of formally introducing herself to you and the class: 

"The Angel that presided 'oer my birth
Said, 'Little creature, form'd of Joy and Mirth,
Go love without the help of any Thing on Earth.'"

She then bowed to you and reached out her hand for a shake, little did she know your heart has definitely left the building when she started speaking, and her voice was all you can hear. You were definitely falling head over heels for her. 
You reached out your hand as well to hold Eunha's, but when she was about to proceed with the handshake, you kept her hand still and looked at her eyes whilst reciting the poem you've prepared. Not one moment you glanced at the piece of paper, it's as if you were saying you memorised these lines, and waited for this exact moment. 

What you have chosen to respond with was a stanza from Pablo Neruda's "A Hundred Love Sonnets", specifically, XVII (17)

"I don't love you as if you were a rose of salt, topaz, or an arrow of carnations that propagate fire:
I love you as one loves certain obscure things, secretly, between the shadow and the soul."

After saying these lines, you then proceeded to shake Eunha's hand for motion, as you stared her straight in her eyes. Eunha was definitely speechless, but she was delighted she met a new person. 
The professor applauded, and encouraged the rest of the class to applaud you two. Both you and Eunha bowed to the class, and tried to go back to you seats - when the professor humbly stopped you on your way, whilst letting Eunha forward. 

"Lovely poem, but you're not quite done. I know my Pablo Neruda, my dear student. Finish that sonnet, then I will allow you back to your chair." 

You took a quick glimpse at Eunha to see if she was still paying attention to you, and luckily she still had her awareness set towards you. 
So with this in mind, you took out the piece of paper to recap in your mind, and continued reading the lines for the only person in the room that mattered. 

"I love you as the plant that doesn't bloom but carries the light of those flowers, hidden, within itself
And thanks to your love the thight aroma that arose from the earth lives dimly in my body."


After reciting, you had your professor's approval to go back to your seat. You broke eye contact with Eunha when you sat down, but when you tried to steal a glimpse again, she caught you. You panicked and quickly looked forward again, as the professor calls another pair of students to share some poetry lines. Though you didn't need to look at your side, you can sense Eunha's chuckling towards your actions because she found you adorable.
That's when your love story began.



A year went by, and around the time, you and Eunha have been together for quite some time now. You loved Eunha deeply, like how she deeply loves you. You've both become inseparable, like you two are the best of friends, partners-in-crime, and lovers breaking through the odds. You and Eunha are about to graduate in a few months, and amazingly, you're both doing good in your classes. There's no issues or any kind of hinderances so it was smooth-sailing, though at times you two have to shape up on your exams and study like there's no tomorrow. From that point on, you two were just spending your days together at campus, waiting for graduation to finally come around, and once that's passed, you two are going to enter the real world of adults. 
Eunha has introduced you to her parents right at the very beginning of your relationship, and her parents support her happiness: as long as she can keep her grades aloft. Her father established a professional, yet casual, connection with you as his daughter's partner - and at the same time a brilliant young bloke on your own right. Eunha's mother has that connection with you as well, though sometimes she's not silent on expressing her reservations towards you.

You and Eunha were inside an Ice Cream Parlour on a date, spending time, and furthering your relationship. Eunha then reminds you that today was the anniversary of the first time you both interacted in class. You knew this, of course, and you've prepared a long surprise and secret for that day. You took a spoonful of ice cream in your mouth, and Eunha did so as well. You cleared your throat, and begun.

"Do you remember the poem I chose? Professor Donghyuk reprimanded me from going back to my seat until I finished the stanza ... Actually, it still wasn't complete. There were a still few lines, and I've been wanting to say them to you eversince that day."
"What is it?Eunha asks whilst filled with anticipation. 

"I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where,
I love you straightforwardly without any complexities or pride:
I love you like this because I don’t know any other way to love,
Except in this form in which I am not nor are you,
So close that your hand upon my chest is my hand,
So close that your eyes close as I fall asleep."

Eunha dropped her spoon from her hand and placed her palm on your cheek as she leaned in closer to give you the sweetest kiss you've ever received.

"I love you." Eunha said with all the truth in the world. 

-

A year and a half has passed by and the worst news struck Eunha and you. You were in the office, working the photocopier, with a mug of coffee in one hand. Eunha was on a business trip in Madrid for her family's company to secure international bonds, when she revealed to you over the phone call. Her father has suddenly passed away from an underlying heart condition no one knew about - not even Eunha's mom. Hearing Eunha cry over the phone shattered your spirit, it's as if it was the worse torture you received in all your life. 
Eunha's sole plan now is to seal the matters at Madrid as fast as she can, and go back to Seoul as soon as possible. 
It took her three (3) days before she even got that plane ticket, and during those hours, Eunha has carried a sullen heart. You wanted to comfort her right at the moment her plane lands, and she pops out of the Arrivals at the airport. 
Two days after Eunha's homecoming, the funeral for her father has been set for the final preparations towards the burial. Eunha was more than devastated to see her father go without notice, same as her mother. You were deeply dejected as well, for your girlfriend, and for the passing of a good man from the world. 

In the middle of one of the nights during the service, Eunha's mom called you over to a corner to speak a private matter. Eunha was busy conversing with the other attendants of the service who wanted to pay respect to Mr. Jung.

"Mrs. Jung, is there anything I can do for you?"
"Yes, I need you to do a favor for me, for Eunha, for the Jung Corporation, and for yourself." 
"Anything for Eunha, ma'am."
"I need you to break up with her." 

You were absolutely without a sound - surprised, shocked, flabbergasted, nonplussed. You couldn't understand as to why Mrs. Jung wanted you to split up with her daughter.

"I terribly do not understa-"
"Eunha's father left the company to Eunha in his will. The will is going to take effect immediately within thirty days. Within the said duration, Eunha will be the new CEO of Jung Corporation. Remind me again, how old are you two now?"
"Eunha and I are twenty-three (23) years old." 
"Tell me, at your age, would you be able to handle a corporation?"
"It will be difficult, ma-"
"Then you understand where I'm coming from. I want Eunha to run our company with sheer focus, and undivided attention towards the prosperity of the Jung family."
"But I love your daughter .... Telling me to leave her all of a sudden is something I cannot do." 
"I'll pay you."
"Mrs. Jung, I am deeply offended. Do you really think I date your daughter for her money? For her inheritance? I love your daughter because she is the person I want to be with for the rest of my life, even if she were to lose all what she has in a blink of an eye." 
"And what about us? What about Eunha? If she were to lose her money and riches by tomorrow - are you ready to give her the life she's been accustomed to?"
"I don't know- I don't think-"
"Break up with her." 


Mrs. Jung left you speechless at the corner with your back turned from the rest of the room, as she joins the crowd to mingle. Eunha notices your solitude, so she approaches you and asks if everything is all right. You just faced her, kissed her cheek, and lied by nodding yes with a pretentious smile on your face. 



"We weren't exactly like this .... What happened to us?Eunha's question resonates through every corner of your mind.

You grabbed Eunha's hand, kissed it, and held it tight. Right at this moment, Eunha no longer cares if her tears ruins her makeup. She stares your straight in the eyes, practically begging you not to go. 
You couldn't mutter any words, you couldn't think of anything to answer with the question that rots you both to your core.

"I don't know how to answer your question, Eunha." 
"The truth! Tell me the truth!"
"Your mother asked me to breakup with you! When she pulled me aside at the funeral service, she asked me to leave you." 
"Wha- Why?"
"Because the moment your father died, you were no longer the heiress, you were Jung Eunha - the CEO of Jung Corporation."
"I'm not follo-"
"That was six 
(6) months ago, Eunha. So tell me, in those days that passed by, was our relationship something that made you feel light or burdened?"

Eunha who was trying her best to not let the tears flow all together was failing, wanting to admit to herself the truth, but she didn't want this relationship to end. 

"I loved you without knowing how, or when, or from where. I love you straightforwardly, without the complications, or pride. Now, I have to love you with my most. It's not that I don't love you, is because I'm going. It's because I do."

You turned around from Eunha after saying this farewell, finally placing your hand on the doorknob to open the door, and step out to move forward with the decision. Once you got out the room, you took a moment to stay still in front of the door. 
Every inch of your being wanted to open that door again, and kiss Eunha. 
But you knew you had to be better than this, to be a man of his word, and his convictions. That's one of the things Eunha loved about you. You hung your head low, and left the building with only one thing in mind: to grab a cold pint of beer at the nearest pub until your blood turns into alcohol

After an elevator ride, and a walk through the reception area, with the receptionist lady bowing farewell to you, you exited Jung Corproation building with nothing but regrets at your left pocket. Google Maps say the nearest open pub is half a kilometre away from your location, so there's still some sunlight to burn by walking before drinking yourself to death. 
As you were about to step foot to the direction of the pub, you hear loud clacking of heels nearing behind you, and when you turned around it was Eunha

Eunha ran to where you were standing, and once she got there, she was breathless. But she didn't take a second longer to say the words she wanted to say.

"I quit." 
"What?"
"I quit as CEO of Jung Corporation. I called the Board, they're going to start processing my resignation tomorrow."
"Eunha, are you crazy?!"
"Maybe I am! Look at me! I just quit the highest position of one of the best corporations in South Korea just to be with you! Maybe I am crazy! I'm crazy in love with you!" Eunha vents with tears streaming down her cheeks. 

Your heart sank to your stomach when you heard these words. You were completely guilty of hurting Eunha, and you wanted to make it up to her. You slowly leaned closer to embrace her, when the panting Eunha postpones your advances by punching you at the stomach.
"Ouch! What was that for?!"
"If you ever leave me again, I will do more than just a punch!" 

In the midst of pain, you couldn't help but shed a tear of joy, and grin at Eunha like the world was right. You embraced Eunha, and this time she didn't resist. 

"I don't need the money, or this company to live, dear. You're my happiness, and I'll gladly give up all of this if it means I'll keep being with you in the end." Eunha whispers to you as she sniffles her sadness away. 

Tomorrow is was still a few hours away, and maybe then you can deal with what was going to come. You couldn't care if what to come was something that will give you penance. As long as Eunha was with you, you couldn't care about anything else at all.