Bestest Mate - Kim Minju

The Theorist

Living in New York was such a cliché reality for you. It was never dawned to you at first that you'll be sent to America to study college - you had no plans in your life to even reach this part, but now you're here so you've decided to roll with the punches. A scholar of sorts, genius from the womb, but this made you overconfident to the point you can't distinguish indolence from being secure with your education.
Music Education seemed to fit your toll in life, remembering that lovely day in your childhood when you picked up your mum's guitar and started copying her playing, but in reality you were just strumming that guitar like a psychopath. Parents found that cute, and started investing in your interest with the instrument. They bought you your own guitar, nurtured your musical-prowess at a very young age, and now you're stuck listening to Nirvana songs, mindlessly playing power chords for everything. 

First day at a university is always scary for any person, whether it'd be the guy that had the gleaming confidence at high school for playing sports, or that quiet kid that does nothing except play online games - we're all equally petrified of entering the new world and reality of our lives. 
This was evident on your first day, especially being you just moved in to a new country, haven't made any friends, whilst now you have to learn the ropes and start your adult life in college. 
NYU looked hefty and busy from outside its doors, and this took you by surprise since you went there early to have time explore and find your class - rather than running late and get lost. With your schedule on-hand, and nothing but a persistent attitude, you went in and the moment that changed your life didn't greet you on your classroom, or the corridors, or even the restroom - it greeted you the moment you went through that door, whilst your eagerness was blinding you both physically and mentally. 
You bumped into the back of a fair-heighted woman, wearing a white-striped shirt and specs, holding her guitar case in one hand. 

09bc7ab9501880dc095a41952de86d9e.jpg

She quickly turned around to see who bumped her and she looked pretty irked. 
"Watch where you're going!" She said with an angry tone. 

Concerning how you didn't want to spend your morning with any trouble you quickly apologised and bowed as if your life depended on it. In the process of doing so, you put down your guitar case, placed both hands at your side, and bowed deeply. She didn't take much time on the apology and instead diverted the tension to opening a topic between you two.

"Oh, you have a guitar too. Are you in Music as well?" She asked. 

You looked at her, stood straight, and took a glimpse of your guitar case and picked it up so you can spend no time reverting back your eyes to hers. 

"Yeah, it's my first day. I just got here actually, moved in yesterday." 
"Me too! I just moved in yesterday too. Still pretty much jetlagged from an almost 14-hour flight." 
"Oh! You're a foreign student like me! Where are you from, Korea?"
"How did you know?" 

You couldn't respond with why you said Korea, whilst you could have just said any other Asian country and have been either corrected by her, or offend her - you chose the one that popped at the very top of your noggin.  
You just shrugged, along with a smile a tap on your head to make it more casual between you and the girl. 

"My name is Kim Minju. Nice to meet you." She operates the social cue by reaching out her hand. 

You introduced yourself as well, requitting that hand for a handshake, and you bowed slightly with a smile. Kim Minju found a warm feeling being around you after that, and she made sure to keep you close - like beside her all the time whenever she can. Luckily, you two were at the same class as well! How ing lucky a mong like you can get, right?

"Don't tell me you also went here early like me..."

The happenstance is just too much to take, you couldn't help but grin like an idiot, and so did Kim Minju. You replied with a nod and an exposition.

"Yeah, rather be early to start familiarising myself with the campus, than be late and get lost on the way to first period." 
"You know, I am truly amazed. You and I think alike - I literally ran that idea through my mind the whole night last night." 

You both started chuckling and nodding like two peas in a pod - wondering if there would be anymore surprises between you two new friends. 

"Well it's only 8:11 AM, we don't have class yet until 9. Wanna roam around with me?" 
You offered to spend time with Kim Minju, but you instantaneously increment some words in your offer with "-Unless you want to spend some time alone! I don't mean to abrupt any plans you had this morning by yourself..."

Minju just nods her head with a smirk on her face, goes to your side with the unoccupied hand, grabs it with hers and starts walking forward. You held your guitar case tight, and followed along in the same length as her position. 
I guess sometimes being early does have its perks, like meeting a new friend, and starting the day right. 



- 4 Years Later -


Final year at Uni, through the hardships, fun times - basically the thick and thin, Kim Minju was there with you. You two have become inseparable, closer than what two friends can get, and maybe there are some underlying feelings that have developed after all these years, but everytime when you and Minju had a moment of truth - it just comes down to the wire of being friends. There was no romanticised idea of being in a relationship with each other, you two loved each other like you were already in one anyway, and you can argue it's strictly-platonic but not everyone buys it. But you tell yourself there was no need to sell it anyway 'cause you and Kim Minju are just being yourselves. 
You reminisce all throughout those four years how you and Kim Minju learned how to adjust living in America, living like an American, and maybe even becoming one. 
You remember the first time after your last class with her, she wanted to try the McDonald's near campus - so you two went to have dinner there. It still retains in your mind that cute laugh Kim Minju kept on doing for minutes because when you two were ordering at the counter - you got in a heated argument with the cashier for wanting 'chips' with your Cheeseburger, but they didn't serve any.
The cultural difference was something you had to breakthrough, and so did Kim Minju. Imagine being in her shoes, whilst it's already scary for some people to stand in a queue and order in a fast food - she had to do it in a foreign country where she was afraid her English might not be understandabe, or she might pronounce something wrong. To each their own. 

You also remembered this one time you and Minju wanted to get around the city to explore and try some genuine food since fast food was getting really old. You heard of the Kat'z Restaurant from the local guide to sandwich locations, and not even surprising at that point, Kim Minju is a big fan of sandwiches. She told you all about the sandwiches in Korea that contained corn, and you were deeply astonished by such existence of a sandwich. The exploration for food was also an opportune act for you two to learn the transport systems of the city - from buses, to trains, to cabs. You heard from a local that the usual way is to walk 13 to 15 minutes down the road from campus to Kat'z - but concerning how Kim Minju walks as slow as a bloody tortoise with Arthritis, you decided it was best to just get a cab. Almost everyone who heard of that idea detested and opposed it, saying it was too expensive just to take cab from campus to Kat'z. Best way now to go without walking is the train, so you two went off. 



Graduation was looming around the corner, and though it sprouts happiness for everyone, that was only for the moment since that meant you have to bid farewell to everything that shaped your reality for four years. This included Kim Minju, the girl you cared for the most in your life. Finals are over and everyone is just chilling, waiting for the day of recognition - and you're there in your room, just sat on your bed talking with your mom and dad on the phone about their flight details to NYC. They've always been supportive parents, and surely they did not want to miss the day of their child's graduation. You three were talking about hotel booking, where they were gonna stay for a few days, and yourself, when suddenly a knock on your door was audible. You clearly weren't expecting anyone to swing by your flat, and clearly you don't expect any deliveries, so you hesitated to answer the door. But now the second time of knocking was persistent and it kept going like it was meant to annoy your neighbours in the dorm. 

"All right! I'm coming!" 

You walked up to your door, slid the bar off from its security, then lo and behold - it was Kim Minju. 
Though it didn't really surprise you that it was your bestest mate in the world, it did surprise you she wants to spend time on a Sunday.
She walked inside your flat, and embraced you as she usually does. You embraced her tightly like any good friend would do, then she went straight to lie down on your bed. 

"Yeah - Mom, Dad, I'll call you back. My house has just been invaded." 
"Son! Are you oka-" were the last thing you heard from your phone before you hung up. 

You turned to Minju who's lying on your bed, making a blanket angel with her arms flopping at the side. 

"How've you been, dear?" You opened to start the conversation.
"I'm okay. I was just at my room, then I sorta started thinking about after graduation. You'll be going back to your country, and I'll be going back to mine. It will be inevitable to miss you." 
"Yeah, I'll completely long for you too, Minju. You're my closest friend, my bestest mate - like you said that one time."
"I should tell you though, after graduation and once I get back to Korea, I'm gonna audition for KPOP. I wanna pursue my dream of being in a girl group." 
"Why didn't you just stay there then?" 
"Parents made a deal with me. I study abroad, graduate with at least a bachelor's, they'll allow me to comeback and pursue my dream."
"Damn. 'At least a bachelor's', I thought the Asian-parents stereotype was just a fad, but I guess I understand why stereotypes existed in the first place now."
"I'm nearly done with the first half, dude. Once I get that diploma, I'm going back to Korea, and I'm gonna do my best to become a trainee, and debut in a group."
"I'll awlays be rooting for you, Kim Minju. I'll make sure to watch all your stages, and your music videos." 

Kim Minju sits upright from your bed, and gives you a warm smile from her current height. She then stood up, walks past where you're stood then grabs you by the hand. 

"Come, I wanna eat." 

You quickly rebounded your hand from hers and looked at her with a confused status.

"Uhmm, just wait? Let me dress up first?" 
"Oh! Sorry! I didn't notice."
"It's okay, where do you wanna eat though?" 
"Jollibee." 

Now that took you by surprise. In all your years as friends, best friends, 'bestest friends' even - this was something that took you by surprise. You just nodded with a weirded out look in your eyes, then proceeded to grab a pair of fresh jeans from your closet and a plaid flannel to blend in. You always loved the grunge look, it was simple and it's timeless as well.

"Okay, 'bestest mate' - lead the way to Jollibee."

Kim Minju reaches out her hand and waits for you to hold it before you two exit the dorm.
Once outside your building, it was just another Sunday in Manhattan - bad traffic, most vehicles were cabs, and everyone just chilling either at the corner street or inside cafés. This time, you and Minju just walked to the nearest Jollibee. Unconsciously, you two were doing your best to slow down time, and since that's scientifically-impossible without leaving the planet, you'd just extend the time you spend with each other. This meant walking to everywhere, eating slowly, sipping your coffees as sluggish as you two can. 
If all the time in the world can be yours, right? 



Once at Jollibee, you offered to take Minju's order so she can just find a table and sit down. Though this looked like a good plan at first, she quickly refused because she's not familiar with the menu, so she stands in queue with you. 

"Have you ever tried Jollibee?" Minju asked.
"Yeah, this one time. I was with Mark - the Filipino bloke from my Math class. He took me to Jollibee 'cause he was craving the 'Chickenjoy'. Apparently this fast food is very well-received in the Philippines." 
"It was from there to begin with, stupid. I heard the spaghetti is something different though. I heard from Anna it's different from your American-style spaghetti - the sauce they use is sweet. Though she said it was weird at first, you grow into it fast, and you'll crave the flavor afterwards." 

Small talk about what was in front of you, and the queue got shorter by the front, and longer at the back. You two slowly approached the counter. 
Finally at the front, it was time to order, and before any of you two got to say your cues, the cashier gives you their patented-greeting.

"Jolli-afternoon! Welcome to Jollibee, may I take your order?"
"Yeah, one Chickenjoy with rice meal please, side of Coke." Minju takes the initiative.
"And I'll have the 'intruiging' Jollispaghetti please. Side of Coke as well, and can I get a single order of fries?" 
"Yes, sir! Would you like them large fries?" 
"Absolutely." 

A rapid recap of your orders, and payment, you were given the queueing number for your meal that you bring to your table whilst waiting for the food to arrive. 
Nothing much was talked about whilst waiting for the food, it was just some random reminiscing from the two of you - whether it'd be something from your childhood, or an embarrassing moment back in Middle School, it was something to pass the time. 
A server approaches your table with the food you ordered, he cautiously lays the plates and beverages on your table, then greets the two of you to have a wonderful day. 
It's chow time! 



Right in the middle of having your meal, Minju looks at you straight in the eyes like she's seeing something beyond your iris. At first you thought it was just her usual-teasing, but then she paused her everything just to keep looking at you in the eyes. 
You settled your fork down, and leaned back on your chair. 

"Is there something in my corneas, Kim Minju?" 
"No - I just remembered the first day we met."
"I remember too. It's a good thing you had to be a moron and stand in front of the door 'cause if not, I wouldn't have met you."
"And it was a good thing you had to be an imbecile to not look where you were walking to 'cause if not, I wouldn't have met you." 

The jesting banter of two good friends gets followed by a good laugh between you two. You looked outside the window for a tad, watched the cars passing- by the avenue, then you returned your sights to meet with Kim Minju's eyes. 

"I'm glad I met you, Minju. You were the best thing that has happened to me in all my years here in New York."
"Even if I tease you so much, and we fight sometimes for all the stupidest reasons?" 
"I didn't stutter." You replied with a warm smile, and Minju starts blushing. 

A moment of pause, then you break the silence by returning to your spaghetti. 

"You know what? You're completely correct. This spaghetti is so peculiar at first, but then after a few - you can't help but keep on eating!"
"I know right? This Chicken is magnificient too! Entirely-different from the chicken we get in Seoul. You never tried the spaghetti though?"
"No, the last time I ate here, I got the Yumburger. I must say that one was pretty delicious as well - especially the mayonnaise they use."

Minju opts not to reply with words, and just with her face with an interested aura. She takes another bite of her chicken slathered with gravy, then she does that cute reaction she does by tilting her entire body to the right, looking at the person she's eating with in the eyes and going "mmmmmm!". It was absolutely adorable, and you couldn't believe Minju was inexorably leaving your side after graduation. 
Now all the more you realise it, it begins to consume your thoughts bit-by-bit. These little quirks and things that make up Minju for who she is, is the Minju you dearly love and will always remember by. 
Maybe you two have stolen a portion of each other's hearts, and none of you want it back. Maybe that's what 'bestest mates' do, be that someone you'll love even after the love is gone. 

The rest of the day was spent entirely going around the city, in and out of eateries and art-appreciation societies. Whether it'd be by foot, or by the subway, Minju just dragged you wherever she could. 
It was evening fall, and Minju decided she wanted to have a pint at a bar. She was no drinker, and you knew that just the slightest liquor in her system that she will get inebriated. You decided to go along with her to of course spend time, and drink a good glass of Guinness. 
First round was on her, so you two sat by the bartop, signalled the bartended two pints of Guinness. Once the glasses were on your front, you two grabbed them by the body and did a cheers. The first sip of a cold Guinness is so refreshing, it was your comfort drink. For Minju though, you can see that the stout wasn't her preference, she reacted to it like how a child does when they have their first taste of beer. Whatever! The first round has been bought already, you two can just switch to lager on the next round. 
Sensing that the bartender was going to approach you two, you hurriedly settled your pint down on the counter and so did Minju. 

"Guinness, aye? Usually kids your age prefer the craft beer. Most NYU students do."
"Yeah, well - I'm more a 'Stout man'. It reminds me greatly about home."
"Oh! You two aren't from here! Let me guess, the lady is from Japan." 
"-Korea, actually. South Korea."
Minju corrects the bartender. 
"Oh, I'm sorry, ma'am! I hope I didn't offend you." The bartender replies.
"It's alright, mister." 

You guess the bartender was awkwarded out since after that reassurance of good between you three, he left your presence. 
After two hours of pint after pint, almost sampling all the beer on the taps, you and Minju were obviously hammered. 
Minju has her arms and head on the bartop, accompanied with closed eyes, whilst you can't even sit straight anymore, and your head to  torso is so tipsy. 
You made sure to settle your payments before even initiating to leave the bar. The honest bartender takes care of you two and makes you pay the precise amount you needed to. After paying, you woke Minju up to tell her it was time for you two to go back to your places. 
Minju awoke though, but it was no revelation she was also like you whom was tipsy as . You two grabbed on to each other's bodies, placed one arm behind the other, and started walking back to Minju's flat. Walking back was such a struggle from the pub. Imagine carrying your own body, trying to balance it - then you have Kim Minju to carry as well with her unintelligible walking. Since you were the more sober between you two, it was you who was 'tagged' to take care of the other - it was something you and Minju made a deal about back in your second year. 

Arrived finally at Minju's doorstep, you nonchalantly reached for her bag to look for her keys. You found them, and you knew exactly which key was for the door. You were best friends for four years now, it was no surprise. 
You opened the door, and carried Minju to her bed. After flopping her on her bed, she automatically adjusts herself to a more comfortable position with all the might of her consciousness left. 
You stood in the middle of the room, caught staring at the now sleeping Minju. 

"I love you, Kim Minju. Sleep well." were the words that ran through your mind before buttoning up your flannel and leaving her room. 

Two years later, and you can see Minju's new music video out along with her group. They seemed to be loved by a lot of people, as they're well known throughout the KPOP scene. Their concept of girl crush is so fitting for Minju and her members, and the vocals are so suited too. Suceeding watching the music video, you returned to your job inside Abbey Road Studios as a Sound Engineer. During a session of recording for one of the bands, you get an Instagram DM, and it was from Minju. 

"I hope you liked our music video. Though you might not understand the song, I wrote that for you."