Suits and Aces - Ha Sooyoung (Yves)

The Theorist

Out of college, straight the line down business theories, and spent years studying the giants such as Gates, Buffett, and Ma. It was time to hand in your application and take the reality of conglomerates right on the palm of your hand. There was only one stumble though, the opening position you opted for has been given to someone else already - but your credentials, and university work shined through to convince the employers to give you a shot at something they might have. Being eager to start working right away and help your father with the bills, you agreed for whatever position it was and start Monday. 
No one however told you that the position was CEO Ha Sooyoung's new personal secretary. You only learned the details whilst already on the elevator at Monday morning, guided by the receptionist to her office. You were expecting a clerk position, or at the very least the guy who just photocopies everything that's asked of him - but no, you're working directly under the CEO herself. 
Come the lift doors open, and there she was, sat by the desk, reading the daily paper. 

83099ffec876de8328af24c9300441df.jpg

She gave you that look like she's already bursting the caption "You're not gonna last." The combination of her demeanour, glasses, and unrelenting intimidating aura surely made you beat your heart like it was racing. Without even realising, the receptionist was already out the lift and was waiting for you to step out to the office. You bounced back to reality and quickly stepped off, bowing to apologise your lack of attention. The receptionist approached the CEO, gave her a few mail envelopes, and gave her your file. After CEO Sooyoung was pleased for the time being, the receptionist went on her way and rode the elevator once more. 

CEO Sooyoung's office was the entire floor to her own. It was like a penthouse, the way everything was designed to look like a home. From the couches, to the tables, to the mini-bar and kitchen. There was even a display collection of wine, whiskey, and gin - for this you realised the CEO prides herself in being a woman that can hold her shot glasses well. 
Stood at the middle this new world, CEO Sooyoung was through browsing your file, she then laid it on her desk and proceeded to read the daily paper. You were still on-edge, so you didn't complain even if it took a mere 10 minutes before CEO Sooyoung even acknowledged your discomfort. 

"What are you standing there for?" CEO Sooyoung asked.
"I'm awaiting for your approval for whatever maybe my next action, ma'am." 
"Hmmm... You're respectful, and quite reserved - I like that. You won my attention, so for that you may sit down."

You spent no time sitting down at the couch near you, and you let out a big relieving sigh because your thighs were starting to take a toll on you. You still haven't lost your form though, and stood straight like a professional, for afterall you were wearing a suit anyway. 
CEO Sooyoung quickly lets out a disappointed tsk and looks at you with her tiger eyes. 

"Why are you acting like you're in damn court? Let loose! Lean your back on the rest! Calm down, newbie. Make yourself at home, that's why I designed this office to look like one in the first place." 

At first, you were shocked for how CEO Sooyoung was acting towards you. You were surprised how she was so casual, less formal in the workplace. You were thinking if this was a test, but you were given the invitation though, so you won't pass it since your back was starting to feel a strain, so you quickly leaned back and spread your legs to be more comfortable. CEO Sooyoung took a glimpse on your actions, and being through with them - she stood up and approached her queue of liquors. She brought out two glasses and filled them with ice cubes. 

"Do you prefer whiskey?" CEO Sooyoung inquired your preference.
"Yes, ma'am. Specifically, Irish." 

CEO Sooyoung looks at you with an impressed expression and nod as she pours both glasses. She brings both glasses and bottle of whiskey to her desk, and signalls you to sit closer to her. She pushes the other glass in front of you, and you don't need a sign to tell you what's to happen next. You received the glass, as CEO Sooyoung raises up hers and so did you. Cheers! to be heard all around the room and a good downing of whiskey has been done by the two of you. 
The flow of the strong and tasty liquor made itself present down your throat, you loosened your necktie to accomodate the change of your body temperature thanks to the liquor. CEO Sooyoung looks at you with a smirk on her face, like she knows for a fact she's gonna enjoy having you around. 

30 minutes passed and the whiskey bottle is almost half-empty now, you and CEO Sooyoung were completely dominated by the inebriation. You've taken off your coat, and CEO Sooyoung is swivelling her chair whilst leaned back like she's on an amusement park ride. It only then dawned to you that it's not even afternoon, whilst you and your boss are already tipsy from drinking hard liquor. Daytime-drinking is CEO Sooyoung's 'russian roulette', and it only dawned to you now the possibility that she might have done this everyday eversince then - and her former secretary tapped out since she could've almost died from this kind of daily-lifestyle. 
You wanted to know about CEO Sooyoung more, specifically what happened to her former secretary, so you poured her another and yourself. 

"Boss, cheers!" You initiated. 
"Cheers, newbie!" CEO Sooyoung gladly accepts the shot and goes back to leaning back on her chair, less the swivelling. 

You wiped your lips before speaking, and with enough mustered courage, you inquired in the moment.

"Boss, I have a question ... What happened to your old secretary?" 
"Her? She quit. She couldn't handle me .... She- she couldn't handle the sudden changes." 
"Sudden changes?" 
"I need someone to keep up with me. Can you keep up with me?" 


You were definitely speechless, so you just gave an innocent nod, perplexed by what she meant by 'sudden changes'. 
You just leaned back on the couch again, and just stared at the ceiling until something comes up. CEO Sooyoung seems to be indifferent as she was still leaned back on her chair too. She takes a look at her wristwatch then stands up to approach, and sit beside you. 

"I'm hungry... It's 11:02 already. I want lunch." 
"Yes, ma'am! What do you want to eat? I'll contact our receptionist to place a delivery." You instantly sobered up to fulfill your duty as CEO Sooyoung's new secretary. 
"No, forget the delivery .... I wanna go to McDonald's." 
"Uhmm, yes, ma'am. I'll tell the reception to flag a taxi right away." 
"No, I'm driving. Let's go."
"Ma'am, no offense, but you're drunk."
"Fine, can you drive?"
"Yes, ma'am, but I don't think it'd be wise that I'd drive while I'm tipsy as you.."
"Either you drive or I drive."


CEO Sooyoung gives you her carkeys and stands up to grab her bag on her desk and call the lift to her office floor. You followed by, and just like that - you embodied now that your her new secretary. Part of your life now revolves around your boss, and that may mean something either conducive or detrimental, you just don't know which one yet. Down the elevator and into the main hall where the front desk and convenient store beside can be situated, you walked behind CEO Sooyoung and kept pace when you both traversed the hall. 
Halfway through from the lift to the reception desk in the middle of the hall come the receptionist who sprints to meet CEO Sooyoung.
The receptionist was trying to explain something but you couldn't understand because you kept a distance. 
Suddenly, a man wearing a lavish suit pops out to hinder CEO Sooyoung from her tracks. He quickly gives her a peck on her cheek and hold her hand. 
It was visible for everyone to see that CEO Sooyoung didn't like this one bit. She wiped her cheek after the kiss, and reclaimed her hand after it was attempted to be held by the man. You finally caught-up with them and got the audio from the conversation.

"Hey, baby. I'm sorry if I came here early - I wanted to surprise you and take you out for lunch!" Said the man in the suit. 
"You know I'm a busy woman, Ji-hun. Then you come here to my building to surprise me about lunch when you know that will do nothing except bother me." 
"I'm sorry- look I'm- I'm just trying to do something nice for you..."
"Don't. I don't need your generosity. Go back to your office, you're wasting your time here." 
"Okay- If you say- wait... what's that smell? Have you been drinking, Sooyoung?" The man in the suit asks whilst in disbelief. 
"Of course not, don't be stupid! Anyway, meet my new secretary. He just started today, and I've already grown a liking to him." 
"Hello there, young man! Nice to meet you, my name is Kim Ji-hun. Please take care of my Sooyoung." The man says whilst reaching out his hand for a handshake. 

You stepped forward and reached out your hand as well to shake his, accompanied by a bow. You were barely hanging on at this point because the liquor still has its effects on you. 
He seemed delightful to meet you, in good faith you tried to disparage the idea that it's because he's in front of CEO Sooyoung. 
He takes no time to return his attention to CEO Sooyoung who looks quite unimpressed with his gesture. 

"I'm busy. We're meeting later anyway for dinner, so I'll see you then."
"But that's a dinner between our two families. I wanted to just have a meal alone with you." 
"Come back another day, I'm on my way already."
"Important business meeting, baby?"
"No, lunch at McDonald's." CEO Sooyoung reveals as she signalls you to keep close when she starts to walk forward again leading you to her car. 

The man in the suit is entirely speechless to what just happened, and maybe deep inside he already knows CEO Sooyoung is not all for him or what he does. Maybe he's blinded, or he just doesn't wanna give up - either way, you felt sorry for the poor bloke. 
A few steps awayfrom the building and into the carpark structure, you and CEO Sooyoung made it to her car. It was in good shape, looks like it was just recently washed. 
You took over the driver seat, and CEO Sooyoung took over the back seat. Seems like the job description continues to be discovered by you when realised it comes with "Personal Driver for the CEO". You examined the important details and you're not surprised that the CEO drives automatic. All the easier for you though, so you started the car and drove off to the nearest McDonald's. 

14-15 minutes later and you've finally arrived at McDonald's. You were already looking for a parking spot when CEO Sooyoung said

"Drive-thru. We're doing a drive-thru."
"Ma'am?"
"We're getting burgers and fries on the go."
"Yes, ma'am."


So you quickly drove to the otherside where the drive-thru's entrance was located, and entered. You drove pass the mic stand for the back seat to be levelled with it, and opened it for CEO Sooyoung so she can order. She barks in her order, and turns to you momentarily to ask

"How about you? What do you want for lunch?"
"I'll get the same as yours, ma'am."

She then turned back to the mic to double the order she gave. Apparently she's having a Big Mac meal with Large Chips and Coke - the classic. You drove forward to the window for payment, and after CEO Sooyoung handed the cash over to the employee and was reciprocated her change - you drove over to the next window so CEO Sooyoung can receive the food she ordered. After waiting for a tad, the order was complete and was given by the woman at the window. She greets you both to have a nice day and you closed the windows. 

"Here's your food, newbie. I'll put it here at the passenger seat, and your drink is here at the cupholder."
"Thank you, ma'am. I deeply appreciate it. So, do we go back to the office now?" 
"No, we're going to a casino. Take me to Gangnam, we'll go wherever there." 


You were completely baffled by what CEO Sooyoung just commanded to you. She however doesn't look like she gave a single damn in the world, as she just opens up the paper bag and started munching on her chips. You had no idea what to do, but that's just you - the secretary that was hired knew he had to drive this car to Gangnam. With a nod, and a benefit of the doubt as to why CEO Sooyoung would rather gamble at a casino, than return back to her office to hopefully get some work done - you shift from Neutral to Drive, and just left that McDonald's for Gangnam. 

An hour drive gone and now you're near Coex, and CEO Sooyoung is looking out her window for a casino where she's willing to blast all her currency in. Throughout that hour spent driving, you took bits from your meal, and all you had left now was half a burger and a fistful of chips. Your soda however was stil lleft untouch since you couldn't reach for the cupholder relatively behind. CEO Sooyoung suddenly tells you 

"Stop! I wanna gamble in there." accompanied with a pointing finger towards the casino.
"Okay, ma'am. Let me just park the car somewhere near." 
"The casino is beside the hotel anyway. Let's just park at their basement." 

With this in mind, you proceeded to drive towards the hotel's basement parking and after finding a good spot near the lifts, you shifted from Reverse to Park, and then unlocked the doors for CEO Sooyoung's pleasure. Before CEO Sooyoung opened the car door, she leaned to the fron to ask you something.

"Do you gamble, newbie?"
"I don't really play, but I know how a game of Poker works." 
"Close enough. We're playing Mahjong Poker." 

"Will I be able to bring my food inside?"
"I'll hold your coke for you." 

Replied with nothing but a smile, CEO Sooyoung smiles as well, then grabs your soda off the cupholder and exit the car. You put your burger and fries back inside its paper bag then packed it like it was your life-savings. You turned off the engine, exited the car as well, and locked it as you should. You both walked at the same pace to the lift, and one it dinged open you both went inside side-by-side. 
For a moment you thought this was God of Gamblers, whilst CEO Sooyoung wearing all white compliments that idea that Stephen Chow also wore all white at the third part for the final game. The lit doors finally open once it got to the ground floor where the casino is accessible through the hotel lobby. 
The lift opening presented you and CEO Sooyoung looking like a bunch of hustlers. Especially since you were both holding McDonald's like you both just hustled lunch out from a foreigner. 

Three hours soon comes, and the time is now 3:17 PM. You and CEO Sooyoung have been on the same table, raising the stakes and planning out your outcomes because the moron at the otherside of the table ain't a jobber himself. The games have been a 'push and pull' for one moment CEO Sooyoung wins, the next her opponent does. 
CEO Sooyoung goes all in now with her money, making it talk to intimidate her opponent, but he follows and goes all in as well. CEO Sooyoung quickly signalls you to come over so you both can discuss in whispers the situation of your hand. 

"Do you think it was smart to go for it?"
"Well, you have a Straight. Our hand is good, ma'am. The odds of losing this one is just very tragic 'cause he'll need a Five of a Kind of Four of a Kind."
"Alright, we're going in." 

CEO Sooyoung revealed her hand, and she indeed have a Straight. 1-2-3-4-5 on your side at the table, and it looked lovely because the pot is bloody filled with honey looking extra. But lo and behold, the bloke at the other end showed his hand and he had a Full House
Upon seeing this the man laughed horribly, he looked felicitous with the result of the match, and he proceeded to take all the money on the table. 

"I lost?" CEO Sooyoung reassures in disbelief.
"You lost, missy. Now leave the table, I have other ers to drain money from." The man said with a big grin and evil laugh. 

CEO Sooyoung stood up with her dignity intact, and reach out her hand for a shake. The man was confused at first, but you guess he was somehow willing to testify a fair and genuine play so he reached out his hand to shake the CEO's as well. After the handshake, CEO Sooyoung turned around from the table, grabbed your arm and drags you out of the casino. 

"Ma'am, where are we going?"
"Hotel bar." 

And with that, you both found yourselves sat on the bar stools - being accomodated by the bartender because you two are the only ones in the lounge anyway. However, the bartender is still giving you and CEO Sooyoung that privacy you two so wish to have. The lounge is quite dark, and no sunlight is protruding through the curtains, nor are they visible at all on the curtains. The entire place was only illuminated by the easy and warm lights, and the candle lit in between your counter and CEO Sooyoung's. 
CEO Sooyoung who has been sobered about an hour or two ago is back to being tipsy. She's taking shots of whatever it is available on the display shelves. From gin, to sake, to whiskey, to rhum, to even vodka - she has no remorse for her liver and kidneys. CEO Sooyoung urged you to drink along with her so you just ordered a pint of Heineken. CEO Sooyoung looking completely hammered from all her shots, she takes a look at you whilst resting her head on her arm that's resting on the counter - mind that her hair is also covering half her face and she couldn't care. 

"Order another bottle, newbie... Don't worry, this is all mine." 

She then called the bartender over by waving her hand carelessly. Once the bartender approached she sat up and ordered 

"Another shot of Bourbon, another shot of vodka, give me a bottle of Chinese Lager, and give my associate over here another bottle of Heineken." 

At this point you were trying to watch yourself from getting too drunk 'cause obviosuly you're the one who's driving the car since the owner (of the car) is hammered beyond sobriety. The bartender just nods and gets going to fulfill that order. 
CEO Sooyoung turns her head againt towards you and smiles like a lethargic, drunken bear. 

"Hell of a first day working for me, right?" CEO Sooyoung addresses the adventure.
"I'd love to think of it as a welcome."
"Oh yeah? Then what do you think of me being a drunkard?"
"We just met this morning, ma'am. I have to know you more before I brand you something. Also, after the beer you ordered for me, I can't drink anymore - I still have to drive for you." 
"Thanks for taking care of me, newbie. I have the feeling we're gonna be great..." CEO Sooyoung admits as she almost falls from her bar stool from being so drunk. Luckily you caught her though and placed her back on her balance. 
The bartender returns with her orders and places them on the counter accordingly. CEO Sooyoung gestures a cheers as she lifts her shot glass up and downs it like a pro. She follows suit with the vodka, and washes it all down with the lager. 
You know this was gonna end badly, like vomiting is imminent, and even more regrettable events. 

Two more hours passed and it's not 5:27 PM, evidently - the events that followed are CEO Sooyoung passed out drunk on her bar stool, resting her head on the bartop. You're better sober than you were two hours ago, and you can tell the air conditioning has been pumped now since the lounge was starting to feel a little wintry. You then took a look at CEO Sooyoung who seems to be shivering, further proving your observations. You took off your coat as fast as you can and placed it fitting her torso by her shoulders. CEO Sooyoung looked calmer afterwards, having the cold go away. On the dot though, her phone starts ringing that she left on the counter. You tapped CEO Sooyoung's shoulder but she doesn't seem to be budging anytime soon, so you answered her phone for her - acceptable anyhow since you're her secretary. 

"Hello?"
"Sooyoung?"
"No, this is her secretary. Miss Sooyoung is currently ..." You took a moment of pause to think up of a reason as to why CEO Sooyoung can't answer her phone, then you came up with the continuation "She's currently occupied in a meeting with an investor..."
"Oh, well this is Kim Ji-hun! Can you tell her that the family dinner we talked about earlier is by 6, so I hope she can finish up her meeting before then. Also tell her that I will pick her up wherever she maybe."
"Oh! Miss Sooyoung just told me she'll drive to the dinner. Actually, I'll drive for her, she just wants to get there on her own ... can you tell me the location where, Sir Ji-hun?"

Fortunately, the 'poor sap' gave in and told you the location of where the restaurant is. It's not that far from the hotel you're in right now, since the Hotpot restaurant is also in Gangnam. You quickly hung up the phone, put it back inside CEO Sooyoung's bag and carried her back to the car. A piggyback-ride wasn't gonna work since her balance was completely off, she'll end up falling in reverse instead of forward if so. You decided to just carry her in both arms back to the car. You brought out your credit card, and paid for everything that has been ordered and to your surprise it almost reaches your card's limit - good thing you didn't join in the drinking fest or the tag would've been doubled. 
With CEO Sooyoung in your arms, carried back to the lift on the way to the basement, you went on your way. 
You unlocked the car, whilst carrying CEO Sooyoung in your arms, then miraculously she has awaken to stand up on her own. But the moment has been extended by her going to the corner of the parking spot to puke. She spends no time getting back into your arms because after puking, she didn't even try to walk to the backseat, she just flopped into your arms and trusted you to carry her there - which you did. 

Pedal to the metal, and the car is driven out of the basement, you're back on the road and CEO Sooyoung is still catching her sleep. You decide not to bother her so she can at least sober up in a way, and you know the drive is 20-25 minutes out from your current location. You're confident you'll make it just in time before her family starts accusing you of kidnapping her or something outrageous. 
On the way to the restaurant, you stopped by a local convenience store to buy Pocari Sweat for CEO Sooyoung, as she'll pretty much need it once she's back to reality. A little more driving after that detour, CEO Sooyoung's phone is ringing again, because the ringtone is piercing through her bag. Even that loud noise can't bother CEO Sooyoung from her nap, as you took a glimpse of her sleeping soundly all over the car seats. 

5:59 PM on the car's clock, and you've made it to the front of the restaurant. It looks like one of those family-style restaurants that usually caters to big groups of get-togethers, which is fitting for tonight's agenda. You parked beside the restaurant where there's an empty space for its patrons, and tried your best to wake up CEO Sooyoung. She budges this time, and wakes up like she returned from a nightmare. 

"What happened?!" CEO Sooyoung blurts out.
"Wer're here, ma'am. Remember that family dinner?"
"Oh ... I forgot about that."
"Yeah, well it's okay. Here's a bottle of Pocari Sweat - it'll help you with your state."
"Thanks, newbie. What time is it?"
"Now it's .... 6 PM sharp, ma'am."
"You got me here just on time..." 


CEO Sooyoung then gathered her composure and exited the car, you did so as well so you can finally lock it up and return her carkeys. 
She takes a sip of that drink you gave her, and she fixes her hair whilst using the side mirror of her car as a reflection. 
After doing so, she stands up and looks at you straight in the eyes. 

"Wait .. The bill! We didn't get to pay-"
"It's already paid, ma'am. I used my card." 

CEO Sooyoung looks at you with deep-amusement, and a cozy aura given off from her stare. 

"I'll wire you the money tomorrow. Thank you, newbie." 
"Here's your carkeys, ma'am. I believe you can drive home now after this?"
"Yes, I won't drink anymore."
"Good ... So I'll see you at work tomorrow, boss. Have a good evening." 

You were already turned around and ready to walk off to the subway station to get home, when CEO Sooyoung calls you again.

"Newbie! Do you need money to get home? Do you want me to pay for the Pocari?"
"No, ma'am, I'll be fine. Just don't drink for the rest of the night, then we're even." 
"I promise." CEO Sooyoung sincerely replies. 
"Ma'am, can I ask you a question?"
"After everything I put you through today, go ahead."
"What happened to your former secretary, I mean - why did she quit?"
"This isn't my first time for this kind of day, newbie. I've been at it for weeks now. She quit because she couldn't handle my self-destructive behavior, my selfishness, and self-deterioration."
"Ma'am ... is there something I should know?"
"Three months ago, my family and Ji-hun's fixed us both for an arranged marriage. His family is a very powerful owner of a Holding Company. My dad is a CEO of a trucking business in and out of Seoul ... And it doesn't help matters when Ji-hun has been in love with me for years now. He convinced his parents to make an arrangement with my dad, and he convinced my dad to wed us."


CEO Sooyoung wrapped her arms around herself and gripped your coat that she is still wearing until now like she's gripping a rope that's holding her life together. She then shed a teardrop and follows up with the words

"I would rather die, than marry against my wishes."

She swiftly wipes her tear away and smiles at you like nothing is wrong. 

"You can keep the coat for now, boss. Looks chilly inside the restaurant." You graciously offered.

CEO Sooyoung just nods and keeps on gripping that coat like she did no fewer moments ago. She then passes you by to finally put on a fake smile in front of her parents, and die a little inside. You watched her enter the restaurant, and you finally went on your way home.