Someone Special - Takahashi Juri feat. Kim Minjeong (Winter of AESPA)

The Theorist

8704e8ce624d89c7954c12703cb8e075.jpg

Just one, please!” Juri begged her heart out to you.

Juri … There’re a lot more cupcakes in the oven! Just wait, please? The other guys might get angry that you're nibbling these as well.” You held your ground.

“Fine.” Juri concedes with a pout.

You felt a little guilty that you said no to your girlfriend when all that she wanted was for you to ride along with her fun, after she emptied the cookie jar your other friends brought over. This was the first Christmas you’re spending with Juri along with your friends, so to say this was the first time your friends met Juri too. Annually, you and your college mates would meet up for a small revelry over the yuletide season, before all of you would go on with each other’s affairs for the remainder of the year. This year, it was your turn to host the party at your flat, so you’re the gracious host knocking back on wine, refilling other’s glass when available, and cooking tonight’s supper.

Rather than assisting in the kitchen, your lovely Juri is regressing the progress of the feast’s variety by slowly snacking on each viand after they’re served on the dinner table - and the scary part is that it was still hours away before tonight’s banquet, you feared that there would be none left. Still, it was all in good and comedic faith, Juri was just doing what she did most of the time to annoy you and have your attention be split between cooking and your guests since you’d start drowning in yourself due to being occupied, and you’d forget about everybody else.

After a few moments of silence, Juri tries her hand once more on achieving the taste of one of the cupcakes.

“Can I at least try the frosting?” Juri asks with puppy eyes.

You shook your head with great admiration for Juri’s persistence, so you obliged. You turned around for a bit to fetch a bowl of chocolate frosting, returned to Juri in a snap, and scooped a fingerful of the said frosting. Without warning, you placed it on her nose, which prompted her to react with a joyful shock.

“There you go. Enjoy, love.” You added.

“Jokes on you.” Juri retaliates by sticking her tongue out.

You both laughed as Juri wipes the frosting from her nose and proceeds to consume it. You brought out a fresh roll of tissue paper for Juri to use, and she gives you her thanks with a kiss on the cheek. Coming from the living room, it was one of your buddies, trying to join in on the merriment, and doing a small catch up with you and Juri.

Few minutes went by with this interaction, until a doorbell took over the attention of everyone in the house. Your friend ends the conversation short when he volunteers to answer the door for you. You were just hoping he wasn’t too tipsy yet to get the door when he was the one emptying the wine bottle fast. Juri leaves your side to go back to the living room herself so she can welcome the newcomers on your behalf. You returned to cooking abruptly, and discerned all was in great shape at the moment - it was just a matter of time until the turkey was cooked, and the new batch of cupcakes to be ready for decoration and styling.

Little to your knowledge, all your friends have arrived at your house, some with their partners, and some with their promised nourishment for the potluck. You can hear from the living room the exchange of greetings and happiness between old friends, and new friends. Everyone settled easily with each other’s vibe for this year, and since it’s been a year since you all got to hangout, lots of chattering has commenced for the day. Isolated from the rest in the kitchen, you heard footsteps and saw a shadow of a person coming from the living room towards the room you're in. You were anticipating it to be Juri, but you were mistaken because it was your ex - Minjeong.

Minjeong pops her head out from the archway of the corridor to take a peek in the kitchen, and to her sufficient information, she confirms you were there. She enters the kitchen and gives you a wave for hello.

“How’ve you been?” Minjeong initiated.

“Been better. Long time no see, Minjeong-ah. Wine?” You offered.

“Uhmm, no. I’m fine, maybe later. Here’s my contribution by the way.” Minjeong hands over a tupperware filled with tteokbokki.

“Swell. Just place it over there by the dinner table, I’ll transfer it to a bowl later.” You instructed.

Minjeong does what you told her, and after she places the tupperware on the table, you both get caught at an awkward stare down. Minjeong was the first to break, so she shifts to a topic to alleviate the tension.

“So … She’s very beautiful.” Minjeong referring to Juri.

“Yeah. I met Juri at a pub back in March. I was venting a bit of my emotions, and I accidentally spilt my pint on her lap. Who would’ve thought I’d meet the one for me in a bar?” You jested.

“Anyway … We’re gonna start jamming in the living room. I studied a lot of Christmas songs on the guitar. You should join us.” Minjeong invites you.

“Yeah, I will. I’m just preparing everything, so I can step away from the kitchen for a tick, and join you guys.” You informed.

“Okay, nice to see you again.” Minjeong tells you with a fading tone.

Minjeong was unsure whether she should leave the kitchen or just stay glued where she was standing, and keep engaging in direct eye contact, less words. You can see that she was fidgeting with her thumbs on both hands, and this made you pity her, so you started thinking of a way on how cut the torture so that she may exit the room.

An ex machina arrives in the form of your girlfriend, Juri. She enters the kitchen with golly, holding an emptied bottle of wine. It appears that the first wine of the night has been enjoyed, and many more bottles to come. Juri was a great host on your behalf, frantically joining you behind the counter, searching for the cupboard where the spirits were kept. You turned your attention away from Minjeong to help Juri set up what to serve your guests. Whilst she was reaching for a new bottle of wine, you were gathering the wine glasses.

Minjeong, like you, saw this as an opportunity for her to trim the rope, so she walked out of the dining area. The second Minjeong left, Juri leaves the bottle on the counter, and goes to your side to give your cheek another kiss, and right after she places both her palms on your cheeks.

“Are you okay, baby?” Juri asked.

“Yes, love. Don’t worry, I’m fine. We talked about this, remember? I want everyone to know you’re the one I love.” You answered then kissed back Juri on the right cheek.

Juri felt relieved, so she gave you a big grin, then she took the wine glasses from you. Before she left the kitchen to serve the guests, you gave her a flying kiss, mouthing out “Thank you.”, and Juri replied with a finger heart. It was your turn to give off a big grin out of genuine felicity.
Evidently, you were the lucky one. But before you could continue on appreciating Juri’s love for you, the timer had set off, and that meant the cupcakes were ready to be extradited from the oven. You struggled to put on the mits, as you panicked with every second of the timer alarming. You hurryingly grabbed the pan, and placed it on the counter before the heat started to really hurt your palms. You took off the mits and reached out for the timer to be turned off. A scene of utter disaster and disorder, all in a span of thirty seconds at most, and all that was there to witness it was yourself. You let out a big sigh of relief, and a small chuckle for your clumsiness.

Now that the cupcakes have been left to cool, and everything else can be dropped at the moment, you took off your apron and left it in the kitchen, then headed to the living room to take a glimpse at everybody - old and friendly faces. Coming into the living room, your college mates take a jab at you with jokes, whether it’d be about a past running gag in the group, or about Juri - they didn’t have any limits especially now the wine has entered their system. However, one thing you respected and thanked your friends for is that no matter how embarrassing and humiliating their jokes were, they never said or referenced anything about your past relationship with Minjeong. Minjeong remained quiet and just laughed along with the funny bits that your friends said, equally reminiscing with you and everyone else involved when a memory gets revived from the years in the university.

Now that everyone had gotten through the portion where the necessary teasing was to be done by a group of friends to one of their mates, it was time to return to the activity at hand, and that was singing and jamming through Christmas songs - all whilst Minjeong was playing her guitar.

15ba68836f761eef7ecfe40f4b3110f7.jpg


“We’ve been singing here since the moment we stepped in, mate. Why don’t you lead us off this time around? Juri sang like three times already, she’s got a beautiful singing voice!” One of your mates instigated.

“Yeah! Any Christmas song! Minjeong said she learned a lot.” One of your mates incremented to motivate.

Juri got up from her spot around the circle, and went to your side to hold your hand.

One of your mates jeered upon seeing the sight of such a romantic cringe, and one of your mates cheered you on, commending Juri for giving you a great incentive to join in the entertainment.
You took a moment to ponder which Christmas song to sing, but due to your lack of making things facile for yourself, you chose the most ‘appropriate’ tune.

Last Christmas I gave you my heart
But the very next day, you gave it away
This year, to save me from tears
I’ll give it to someone special”

Looking at the eyes of the people around you, you can see the blank tautness of the ambience wrap around your oafish choice, and a few seconds of silence followed afterwards. Even Juri was speechless, but then your mates looked at each other in the circle, and sang the chorus once more in unison. Delight in their voices whilst they were singing the lyrics, some swaying side by side to accompany their carol. Minjeong reacts the way she should and starts playing the chords of the song on the guitar, and singing along.

Juri lets out a big laugh as she rests her head on your shoulder, and tightens the grip on your hand. You responded with a kiss on her forehead, and you rested your cheek on her head. Arrantly unperceived of the other end of the room where Minjeong was at - caught glaring at you and Juri, running on autopilot but languidly playing the guitar.
After staying for a song or two, you gave everyone the cue that you have to go back to the kitchen now. A much needed reminder to keep the antics inside the house so no one gets arrested again, and with that it was time to go back to the kitchen.

You immediately returned behind the counter, put on the apron once more, and checked the temperature of the oven and the status of the turkey. Everything was looking substantial, so it was time to prepare the sides of the turkey. You took out a medium-sized pot, and opened a large pack of polenta. In another pot, you permeated it with water for the blanching of the french beans. Both pots are now on the stove serving their purposes, and once the sides are done cooking, that would be the same for the turkey - so then it would be time to take it out the oven for it to rest and cool with the rest of the newly-cooked sustenance.

Whilst in the middle of preparing the french beans’ ice bath for its shocking, you felt an embrace from behind you. You turned around with haste to reciprocate. Juri gives you a peck on the lips, and then she brings out her phone from her pocket. She brought her earphones out from the other pocket, and she swiftly untangled the knots. She plugged it in her phone, and then she placed the right earpiece on your ear, whilst the left earpiece was hers to have. Juri always introduced you to her playlist like this, no talking and just straight up listening. What you thought was another short listen to a song Juri liked, it wasn’t; that very familiar intro that you’ve heard in your childhood once during the Christmas season befalls in your consciousness. It was the song you led with earlier - Last Christmas by Wham! A season favourite, warmly listened to by everyone around the world ever since the 80’s.

Juri wrapped her arms around your shoulders, and you planted your hands on her waist. And just like that, you two were slow dancing in the middle of a fiery kitchen, being the only ones to hear the jovial tune. Eye to eye, it was more than you deserved, and Juri was absolutely an angel sent from above. Swaying through the first verse, you were suddenly alert and wriggling, because you remembered the french beans should've surfaced from the hot water, and now they’re overcooked. Your trepidation passed on to Juri, and she herself started squirming. Luckily, all were not too late, and you were able to salvage the beans and have it shocked.

You and Juri shared a hefty giggle, long before you knew it, you both put back on the earpieces and you’ve continued slow dancing again. When you thought there would be no more distractions, your jive was put to a halt again when Minjeong walked in to grab another bottle of wine.

“Wow … Gone already? Those animals in the other room are burning through our wine rapidly, I might have to go out later and buy a few more.” You stated to both Juri and Minjeong.

“Don’t. Once there’s no more, let’s keep it at that. No need to make everyone super drunk tonight.” Juri reasons.

“I guess you’re right, love. What would I do without you?” You flirted.

Minjeong flashes you and Juri a smile on her face as she reaches into the cupboard for a new bottle. You both showed her a smile as well whilst in each other’s arms. Before leaving the kitchen though, Minjeong wanted to do something for you and Juri. For the first time in your life, you never thought someone could’ve been so mature and straightforward, but that was something conducive for the rest of time - since you and Minjeong had a deep friendship.

“I’m happy for you two. Everyone is happy for you two. I recall back in uni that you’ve always given your love for others who couldn’t do the same for you. Now, you don’t have to be heartbroken anymore.” Minjeong tells you.

“Thanks, Minjeong-ah.” You replied.

“Juri-ne chan. Take care of him, I know that he thinks he’s the one who got lucky. It’s true, he is definitely lucky to have you, but you're also one of the most fortunate women on the planet to have such a caring, and loving man who would go to the ends of the Earth just for the people he loves.” Minjeong makes peace with Juri.

“I will. Gomawoyo, Minjeong-ssi.” Juri replied.

Minjeong nodded her head and left the kitchen with the bottle of wine on hand. You and Juri looked at each other with a relieved auras, then you both gave each other a kiss. The polenta was done cooking as well, so it was time to turn off the heat at the stove, and take out the turkey from the oven and let it rest by the counter until it’s time to feast. You removed your apron and placed it on the same counter, next to the turkey, and left the room with Juri to rejoin everyone in the living room. Arriving at the living room once more, one of your mates handed you over a glass of wine and raised his glass to signal cheers. You did so as well and took a sip of your wine. Merlot will always be your preference, even though some of the rest prefer Cabernet-Sauvignon. You looked around and saw this is what the Christmas season was all about - joy and forgiveness. Spending time with your friends, spending time with the people you dearly loved. Juri with her own glass of wine, clinks her glass with yours and takes a good sip herself. Without saying a word, Juri looked over Minjeong and gestured to you to hand her a drink.

You understood what she meant, truly it was time to put it all behind. More than for the sake of genuinely letting your relationship with Juri flourish, it was for your sake of peace as well to forgive Minjeong for what she did. You gave Juri your glass, and you filled an empty one with some wine. You approached Minjeong who was quietly-fiddling with her guitar on the couch. You handed over the glass, and gave her a genuine smile and miniscule nod. Minjeong’s face brightened up, and then she took the glass from you to have a sip. She looked over Juri’s direction and raised up her glass to say cheers. Juri does the same, and in that moment, you knew she was someone special.