Three Words - Choi Yena

The Theorist

16f7e77aaffa40929987ae8a76079d8d.jpg


"And, that's a wrap!" The photographer bloke shouts after Yena's last pose. Yena's older sister claps in happiness as the long morning shoot has finally come to an end. The crew and the photographer start wrapping up the studio, and Yena lets out a big sigh of relief as she strips her high heels from her feet. Yena's older sister conducts a review of the pictures alongside the photographer, and Yena's fiancé. The three people marvel over the lovely and exciting photos taken of the couple, whilst you decided to go to Yena's aide, because you noticed she's in discomfort from her tight dress, and paining feet. 
Yena who was sat at one of the available chairs of the studio, massaging her foot, and grunting over the hurt. 
You knelt down in front of her, and grabbed her other foot to give it a bit of a rub to alleviate at least a small bit of discomfort. 

"Thanks." Yena said to you. 
"No problem, anything I can do to help." 
"What did you think of the shoot?" Yena asks as she leans back. 
"Absolutely brilliant ... You look very divine, as always." 

Yena nods her head to your answer, but her attention is elsewhere in the room - particularly, her soon-to-be Husband. 

"Do you think I'm making the right decision to marry him?" Yena asks once more.
"Well, do you want an honest answer, or my honest answer?" 
"Both, please." Yena requests as she turns her head towards you. 
"Well, we have to unpack 'it' first. You asked if you're making the right decision - which means you're having doubts that you're not. But the kicker is that you're having doubts of making the right decision by marrying him. You're not devoid of the want of marriage itself, but marriage with him you're contemplating." 
"And your honest answer?" 
"What makes you think that wasn't mine?" 


Yena looks at you with a smile on her face, and she reaches out her hand to your cheek. With that, you understood that she wanted to hear something from you. 

"We both know I'm dearly in love with you ... What answer do you want to hear from me? Support along the lines of 'Yes, marry him'? Or do you want me to tell you the obvious and let me say 'No, because I'm in love with you, and though I want you to be very happy even if it's not with me - it still agonises me at night knowing to the very last moment you will say I do, that you had your indecisions." 

"Is it guilt? Or is it the fact there was a chance I could've been yours, and we still didn't make it?" Yena shares her pondering with a playful tone.

"I still remember the first time we met ... That was my first time in Seoul too. The only thing I knew to do was to use chopsticks, and to call everyone's attention to raise their glasses for the newly-weds. I still wonder if everyone in the reception ever understood what I said, I mean, that was a great 'Best Man speech', innit?" 

"I think only the younger guests understood what you said. My parents, and older relatives were tapping on the kids' shoulders asking what the hell were you saying." Yena reveals to you with a great laugh. 

"I remember when the ceremony has started, and you were walking down the aisle ... In that moment, I told myself that I knew who I was going to ask to dance with at the reception." You revealed to Yena with a grin.

7cd55614194b402716471a2e54de8b3b.jpg

"Oh yeah? Was that before or after the bottle of red wine?" Yena teases. 

"I was feeling a tad shy then, so I apologise. That was also two years ago!" You responded with a chuckle. 

Yena feels the felicity as well, and laughs along with you during your reminiscence of a happy memory. Coming from the side, Yena's fiancé goes to her, and asks what's up. You stood up from the floor and told him what was going on, and he was deeply appreciative of your assistance for today, and he expects to see you at their Wedding Day in a couple of months or so. You nodded, and gave your regards to the two as they leave the studio. Once they were gone, the glum figure of your face you were trying to hide becomes exposed, and Yena's older sister takes notice of this. She quickly approaches you, and gives you a tap on the shoulder. 

"Come on, crappy. Let's eat that sadness away." 

-

The time was 12:25 PM, and lunch has been served. Yena's older sister knows this great place up in Myeongdong near the studio that serves great ramyeon and tteokbeokki, and she was quite craving so she offered to pay for your lunch as well. Not that it mattered that much to her 'cause it was her husband, and your best friend's credit card she was going to use. 

In the middle of the meal, she addresses what was buggering you, the concern that's been floating aloft your head since 10 months ago

"So, tell me, at the Wedding Day of Yena, are you going to speak up once the priest asks who wants to object?" Yena's older sister teases.

"Please, do not ask me that. I didn't have an answer then when Yena handed out the invitations after your other sister's wedding, I do not have an answer for you now, and I do not have the answer until then." You replied with a jesting remark. 

"Still, thank you for today. With Yena's fiancé, Marcel - stressed out from the wedding arrangements, international bank transactions, and immigration that I was surprised he was able to pull off today's shoot." 

"Yeah, he was able to pull it off with a flask filled with Irish Whiskey to the brim, and a bunch of pills I have no idea what are." 

"Look, do you love Yena?" 
The Older sister asked. 

"Truly!" 

"Then why are you opposing her marriage?! Her happiness, dude!"

"Because I'm a very selfish bastard! I'm a self-centred ! I can't accept the fact that it won't be me making Yena happy for the rest of her life ..." You replied with a low tone. 

"Everyone can always say they can do better than someone when they're not the one at the spot. I remember when I was going to be married to John, and Felix came up to us one night begging him to be the Best Man instead of you." 

"Well, I give my gratitude to the two of you for sticking with me." 

"Is there something telling you that Yena is making the imprecise decision of marrying Marcel?"

"Yena and I dated right off your wedding, Noona. I tried my best to stay here in Seoul when my papers were telling me to go back to London. She agreed to do a Long-Distance relationship, and the next thing I know, I woke up and went to Hyde Park for our weekly videochat - and she was nowhere to be contacted." 

"Are you saying she just feels guilty 'ghosting' you, that she somehow wants to make it up to you?" 

"It's as if she could, Noona. When I got back here in Seoul for Hayoon-noona's wedding, she went up to me to introduce that bellend. Along with her wedding invitation. I'm not saying anything along the lines of unsure choices or guilt in her part - but don't you think she just feels rushed on her emotions to wed some moron she found closer and more accesible to her because of events?" 

"It's two months away, darling. The time will pass faster than what you and I can imagine. In two months' time - John will arrive here in Seoul for my youngest sister's wedding, and by then everyone would've already made up their minds." 


You let go of your chopsticks to be left slanting in the bowl, and leaned back on your chair to give out a heavy sigh. 

"Can you just do me this one favour?" 

"No, I will not try to convince my youngest sister to back off her own wedding." 

"No! Nothing like that at all ... I just need one day with Yena. Is there somewhere in her schedule I can fit in to take her out for a day?" 

"You have the entire afternoon today, I'm calling her now to meet us at a nearby café." 

"I thought she had plans with Marcel today?" 

"Those plans are just him going to the Immigration. Yena would rather have a cup of coffee, trust me." 
The Older sister insists as she brought out her phone to call Yena and invite her over. 

-

Lunch was over, and the time was now 3:15 PM. You and Yena's Older Sister have been waiting for almost two hours after your meal for Yena to arrive. She said over the phone the traffic was horrific, but in your mind, you would rather have it stalled the entire day because you don't know for yourself yet what you've deemed to do once you see her. 
But you did have somewhere to start. 

The clock was ticking to 3:20 now, when the café door opened, and it was Yena looking lovely as always. 

Wayfarer Brown Red Tortoise and Gold Geometric Glasses - 7

You brought out your pair of glasses from your left pocket to wear, and then you stood up to greet Yena who was coming over to the table. 

Yena looked at you with great surprise, and she stared you deeply with scintillating eyes, as you gave her that smile you always did when you found her beauty caught in the moment. 

"Hey, I haven't seen those in a while ... Last time I saw that was-"
"Was when I was leaving Korea for the first time around, when we were at the airport." 
"And your tears were dripping down the lens." 
Yena adds. 

Suddenly, Yena's older sister stood up from her chair, and bid you both farewell. Yena was surprised, but you weren't because all your attention was invested on Yena. Noona went up to you for a cheek kiss, and so you both did - whilst your eyes were still locked on Yena's eyes. You told her to give your regards to John as she leaves through the door. Now, it was only you and Yena left. 

"So, order anything you want ... I'll pay for it." 
"I'll have an Iced Americano ..." Yena loudly ordered to the cashier. 

Yena then sat down at the chair behind you, and you went up to the chair opposite of it to sit on.

"Yena, you said you remember the last time I wore these specs ... Do you remember the first time I did?" 

"Unnie's wedding."

"Precisely ... when I came up to you, and asked you to dance." 

"How much do you love me?" Yena asked. 

"I love you-" 

But the moment was cut short because the server called for your attention that Yena's drink was done and for pickup on the receiving counter. You signalled Yena that you're gonna fetch her drink first, and then comeback. You walked up to the receiving area, thanked the server running it, and carefully returned to your table with Yena's drink. You handed it over to her, and sat on the chair once more. 

"Yena, I love you in so many ways than one might imagine. I'm sorry if I failed to make you realise that when we were still together. I never really told you my heart as much as I wanted to - no matter how emotionally-driven I am when it came to what I felt for you ..." 

"I'm sorry too, that I left you without telling, and the next time you saw me - I introduced you to the man I was marrying ... I know it's not an excuse, but I felt so overwhelmed of us. It felt right out of a dream, a convention, a norm all at the same time ... I just couldn't handle it, especially when you left." Yena confesses.

"Yena ... I'm not supposing, but maybe if you could just see- well I know you see it, you're actually having a bit of struggle on it, like you proposed this morning, but maybe ... If you could give us another chance ... " 

Yena remained silent, taking a sip of her coffee, and biding her time with every sip. You nervously adjust your glasses everytime it slides down the bridge of your nose. After a few minutes or so, Yena resurfaces. 

"I love Marcel ... And I can't help but think we were just a mistake. I mean, we met at a wedding! Then the night afterwards we spent hours 'til sunrise at a convenience store talking about ourselves over chips and cold coffee. It felt like love! But a part of me always said it wasn't and it couldn't have been." Yena said. 

"If it wasn't love, then how come I need you now? For a year when I was sat alone at Hyde Park, when I walk through Notting Hill's Road Market, and end up wasted at the local pub, you were the one my heart yearned for. I need you, Yena.... Please don't marry him..." You begged Yena as your tears start to fall from your ducts to the table. 



Two months passed and it was the day of the wedding. A fine 22nd, Yena's favourite number. Everyone's already arrived at the church, and that includes you. You did your best to wear a smile on your face along with that expensive tuxedo, but deep inside this was ultimate excruciating hurt for you. You were sat next to John, your best friend, and Yena's family was at the front. 
The congregation overtime has grown quiet, just as the church organ started playing, and the ceremony has started.
You were very tempted to take off your glasses because you might not be able to help the waterworks, but you decided to fight it 'till your last whim. You turned around from your seat to watch the involved people walk down the aisle. After the Best Man, the Maid of Honour, and Flower girls passed by, it was time for the bride

Yena looked so lovely, so pretty, so ethereal. You took heavy breaths at every step she took all the way to the altar, and every fibre of you wanted to breakdown and cry - especially that moment when Yena passed by you, and looked you in the eyes like it was an absolute farewell. The beginning agenda has gone through, and now everyone has been seated for the short sermon. 
Minutes passed by, and now the priest has begun to state the usual lines you've heard too many times now - it was the start of the vows. But before the vows, it's that line that sets apart all weddings from the rest. 

"Therefore are any reasons as to why these two should not be joined in holy matrimony, let them speak now, or forever hold their peace." 

John held your wrist after these words were echoed all over the congregation, and he nonchalantly gave it a light tap. No matter how much you wanted to object, you couldn't find the strength to do so. You just sunk your head low, and adjusted your glasses with no sense of any care on anything else in the world. Suddenly, the entire place errupted when one woman rose her hand up
It was none other else than Yena herself. Everyone stood up when the noises became defeaning, including you. 

The next scenes were just out of a drama novel. Family members head to the location of the bride and groom to see what was happening, and the next thing you know - their fathers were having a fistfight
John left you at your position to tend to his wife, and all you can do is spectate the bedlam. Out of nowhere, you see Yena running down the aisle towards you, and she grabbed your hand. Without much thinking, you grasped in return, and ran out the church with Yena. 
Like a scene from a movie, a fortune bus was passing by the road, and you quickly flagged it down. Ample time to board it, you and Yena rode the bus, and the rest of the people who chased after you two were left behind the church steps. 

You and Yena make you way to the back of the bus, and settled down to catch your breath. 
After a moment of doing so, you and Yena looked at each other in the eyes and bursted laughing. You've never seen Yena so happy herself. You and Yena were done through the laughter, and now it was time for the expected talk as to why. 

"Yena ... Why?" 

"I've been thinking about it since this morning ... This is for life, and I realised I don't see Marcel many years from now beside me in bed when I wake up in the morning. I don't see him making me happy 'til my last breath..." 

You nodded your head, and remained quiet to give Yena the space she needed to process her thoughts. Her phone rang up, and she said it's her sister. 
They had a conversation through the phone, and after she hung up, Yena said she had to get off the next stop and face her family to explain her decision. You offered to go with her, but then you both thought it'd be best you didn't. 

The next stop was at least 1 kilometre away, so Yena rested her head on your shoulder, and treated the ride like it was something magical. Five minutes passed by, and the bus stop was about to be visible. Yena alerted the driver to slow down, and bay the bus. 
Before she got off, she told you the words you never think you'd hear. 

"I love you. And I'm sorry. For everything done. Meet me again. This time around. I won't go." 

Then Yena leaned over to kiss your cheek, and give you that precious smile she always did as she walks down the bus to exit. 
You see her walking down the intersecting road as the bus moves forward, and you see her turn around to wave you farewell for now. 

The future seems very unclear, but one thing you're sure of is that Yena is going to stay - for better, or for worse.