You Wouldn't Know - Sung Jiyeon (Jane)

The Theorist

Like any other afternoon in a stumbling end of December, the air starts to get colder, and the layers of everybody's clothing starts to get thicker. Itaewon is always a melting pot of cultural-expositions for the patron of any establishment - calls for the idea that there will always be a surge of customers wherever and whenever. Taking a vacation in Seoul during the start of the wintry seasons are something you always wanted to do, whether it'd be to explore all the tourist sites all over the capital, or just meetup with your longtime online friends you met through Discord - it's never gonna be a dull moment as long as the sun is displayed over the 'morning calm'. Coming from the otherside of the globe, those mates of yours are definitely looking forward for that cultural-crossover in the flesh, for they got plans that can beat a tour package offered by the industries. 
Forget Myeondong - you're gonna get the ultimate experience, from local authentic Korean traditional food, to the most-advanced technological arcades for merriment, those mates of yours really know how to welcome a commrade. 

A Five (5) days and Four (4) nights stay ain't bad to spend in a foreign country. First two days well-spent with your friends, the third is for visiting museums and historical sites by yourself, and the last day for leisure is still a mystery on how to be occupied by you. You were thinking of just walking around the vicinity of your hotel, a part of you was also suggesting to spend it again with your friends, but this time you'll just have a food trip around the city. You started feeling a bit shy to ask them out again since you've already taken much of their attention for the time being you stayed here, so maybe it's best to just either spend this day on your own, or laze around in the hotel. Swimming ain't an option anyway since it feels like freezing outside, and the hotel buffet is only accesible without extra-payments during breakfast. Room service is definitely permissible, but you don't wanna spend that much money when you can just cross the street for a few steps and buy an equally-delicious meal at the convenience store for a cheaper tag. Liquor also falls in the same reason with food so you're only left to one device - which is to explore the vicinity. 
Luckily there was a park nearby, a few interesting locations further out, and some cafés that you heard promotes about being 100% Eco-friendly with their products and operations. 

You hurriedly put on your overcoat, standard scarf for the neck region, and earmuffs since your ears are sensitive to the temperature. You decided to bring your wallet with just enough money for food or drinks, and phone for ease of travel courtesy of Google Maps. You opted to head to the convenience store first down the road, to buy a beverage to consume whilst you're on your exploration. Down the lift to the hotel's main lobby, everything seemed normal. Lots of hotel staff busy accomodating each guest's request or concern, and then there was you just traversing the lobby to get to the exit and start the adventure. Once at the revolving doors, you took careful steps down the stairs for it was a tad slippery. Once down those stairs, you see not a lot of people outside, which was logical since most would be indoors with this temperature, probably enjoying a hot cofee or a hot meal. There was however one girl that caught your attention whilst crossing the street to the corner store - she was definitely beautiful, blonde, and that scarf of hers brings out her eyes. 

51062487_133521707690405_7558794536292772458_n.png

Her presence got you skipping a heartbeat, and almost tripping on the pavement for your attention was evidently stolen away. She had her phone out and was taking a picture of something on the convenience store window. You walked closer so you can see what she was being a shutterbug all about and it was just a poster of some KPOP group you can't even bother to care about. Maybe she was a big fan of them, and she was some sort of fansite owner doing her usual. Whatever the reason maybe, you couldn't comprehend that for anything else except the caprice of your heart to talk to her and express your infatuation. It was your last day in Korea anyway, and you've already forwarded with the idea of an adventure - so why not spend it with a stranger? With an ambivalent chest pumping all the existing feelings possible known to man, you took a deep breath and went to closer to her side and opened with a greeting. 

"Annyeonghaseyo!"
"Oh, 안녕하세요..." 
The woman responded with a bow. You bowed back as well. 
"And that's all I know what to say in Korean. By any chance, do you understand English?" 
"By chance, I do. Why, do you need to ask directions?"
"Uh - no! I was just trying to make conversation. Saw you taking a photograph of that poster, and I got curious."
"Oh, that. I was taking a picture because I love that group."
"I'm not big on KPOP actually, so I don't know anything about that group at all. They do look energetic though, and the members are quite beautiful." 
"Oh yeah? Well, I do agree, those girls are pretty. So, when's your flight?"
"Is it that obvious I'm just a tourist?"
You asked with a grin. 
"Well, the nearest university from here is at least two kilometers away so you're not a foreign student, and I saw you walk out of the hotel too." The woman explains with a chuckle on the last part.

You reciprocated her chuckle with a laugh of your own, and you nodded out of amazement on how observant she is, and witty as well to pull off humour like that. 

"To answer your question, my flight is tomorrow evening, actually. I decided to spend my last day here going around the area, before getting tied and commited to the airport."
"And let me guess, you want to ask me to go along with you?"
"I did not have that idea cross my mind at all until you suggested it now. I was honestly just going to tell you that you're very beautiful, and maybe you want to have dinner later or something." 
"I kinda want the first idea more. I would say yes if you did ask me that one."

Your face quickly brigthened up and you cleared your throat and fixed your overcoat. 

"Well then, would you like to go around and hang out with me?"

The woman looked at you straight in the eyes whilst pocketing her phone in her jacket, and then she crossed her arms. 

"My mom taught me never to go with strangers ... So my name is 'Jiyeon', nice to meet you." accompanied with an extended arm for a handshake. 

"Lovely to meet you, Jiyeon. My name is...." 
"Hold that thought!" She cuts you off to answer her phone that was ringing. 

She stepped off for a bit away from you to talk with the person on the other end of the phone, and you can see she was hurrying up to end the call. Her body language consisting of her hand resting on her waist, a frisky leg fidgeting up and down, and her eyes rolling to the side every other second. She finally got to bid farewell, and returned back to her former spot earlier. 

"So yeah, my name is 'Sung Jiyeon'. Alright, what's your plan for today? It's only minutes after 10 AM." 
"My initial plan was to head inside the convenience store, buy a drink, and then go to the park over there." 
You pointed with your thumb heading behind you. 
"Sounds like a good plan, let's go buy drinks then - you're treating me."

With those words said, Jiyeon walked pass you and headed inside the convenience store. You were still stuck for a bit where you were standing until you went back to your senses and quickly entered the store. You paused by the door to look where Jiyeon went inside the store, and then you saw her by the refrigerators to grab a chilled coffee. You marched speedily to get to her side and hold the ref door for her. 

"Really? It's cold outside and you're getting a cold drink?" 
"What? I like cold coffee more than hot. Don't you?"
"No, not that I have a favourite. I just drink whataver is suitable with the weather. Right now, it calls for a hot cup of coffee." 
"Weakling." Jiyeon remarks with a smirk on her face, jesting and sort of provoking your ego. 
"Fine! I'll get cold coffee as well!" You replied with an irked tone and a big smile on your face. 

Sung Jiyeon was absolutely successful on poking your ego, thus making you choose the same drink she got even if it was against your wishes for a hot cup of joe. You both headed to the cashier and you paid for the drinks with a joking sigh towards Jiyeon, and she hits your shoulder. 
It seems like you two are getting along well, even if it was just under the circumstance of teasing each other. So now you both head out the store and crossed the street towards the park, and you both didn't even have to hurry crossing the street because there weren't much cars passing through the area. Situated in the park now where trees beginning to wilt under the instance of the season, and a few park benches either couples are sat on, or the local birds.
It was fairly sunny for the present time, and the heat of the sun is providing you the comfort you needed, whilst Jiyeon was just displaying a blank face, sipping her coffee. You took a few sips of yours too, but you knew from the start it was pure stupidity to choose the cold coffee from the hot one - since you're already feeling a bit wintry on the outside of your skin, and now your chest is inevitably chilly. 

An hour passed with just you and Jiyeon sat on one of the park benches talking about your lives, talking about what you both got going on, and talking about your families - relatively trying to get closer and deeper with each other's presence. 
You learned that Jiyeon was born in Changwon, you also learned that she her birthday was coming up this month of December at the 20th. She knows how to speak Japanese fluently, and she's very close with her sister. 
You told her the usual information about yourself, and maybe put in a thing or two in there to impress her. She did find your capabilities impressing, and she figured out soon enough that you more or less 'loved her at first sight' for her. Not that you were being outright with your emotions, feelings, or demeanour - it's just that you couldn't help look at Jiyeon with those infatuated eyes, and be caught staring at her like True by Spandau Ballet is playing in the background.
Jiyeon took advantage of this fact by teasing you with the truth. She squeezed the words out of your mouth, even if you were so shy, embarrassed, and sheepish with it. You told her all about it though, how your heart skipped the beat when you were crossing the street earlier and she jested how that your heart actually has an ailment. She took it back right after, of course, and just continued laughing until she was read all over. 

Right around 11:20 AM, she opened up the conversation to favourite foods. Jiyeon apparently loves sushi, and she dislikes chocolates and tomatoes for some reason. You told your viand preferences as well, and after a few minutes of discussion about it - you now learned why Jiyeon opened up about it. 
Jiyeon's stomach growled so loud, that even the people at the next bench heard it - mind that the distance between the park benches are at least a metre. Not to talk about the windy-setting that adds the outside noise, rustling trees and bushes, for any other sound to be heard imprecisely. You reacted lightly and snickered at Jiyeon then stood up from the bench holding your hand out to be grabbed by her. 

"Come, let's have brunch. At least something to get you by - until it's lunch time." 

Jiyeon grasps your hand to stand up and hold indefinitely. 

"I know this café near the area that has good strawberry cake. Lunch better be wonderful because I wanted to eat straightaway."
"Don't worry, we're eating international cuisine for lunch." 
"We are?! Let's go then! Let's go have lunch then!"
"Don't you want to wait for 12 'o' clock?"
"No - let's go!" 

Jiyeon ultimately frisky from the news, hopping and jiggling from where she's stood - still holding your hand, persuading you to go where you planned for lunch. You were reluctant at first though, because that part was like a surprise that you wanted to do for Jiyeon. 
But just a little begging it took from Jiyeon that made you falter from your first thought and just said yes with a less-happy heart. 
With Jiyeon's hand holding yours, you both leave the park to return to your hotel and have a buffet lunch. Both stood by the lobby, you took the initiative and approached the front desk for directions to the hotel's buffet. The kind lady directed you towards the restaurant herself, and when you got there she bowed and returned to the front desk. The service and hospitality is quite nice, and you appreiciated the accomodating gesture the lady did for you and Jiyeon. 

After talking with the maître d'hôtel, it was acknowledge that your fee and Jiyeon's for the buffet will be charged to your room. Lead to your table for two, and the better part that you and Jiyeon realised is that there weren't many people yet, most of the food that's being served are still available and kept hot. Jiyeon was utterly excited, she wants to go on ahead already, looking back at the chafing dishes lined up for the guests - she was just waiting on your go signal to stand up from her chair and obtain whetever morsel she pleases. 

"You know, I could just stay silent for at least 20 more minutes so you can just keep on looking back at the feast, instead of getting a plate already." 
"I'm just trying to be a moral person waiting for your cue." Jiyeon retorts accompanied by sticking her tongue out which gave you a hearty-chortle. 
"I'm just kidding. Go, please help yourself to as much as you want." 

No need to tell the second time around, Jiyeon stood up and walked rapidly to the banquet. She grabbed a plate, and started filling it with all the food she fancies to consume. You just tilted your head as a reaction to finding her adorable, and 'down to Earth'. 
Thankfully, this international cuisine buffet has Japanese on the listing, because you knew that would really make Jiyeon happy. Indeed it has made her happy, because when she returned to your table she has two dinner plates on both hands, whilst her beverage is squeeze in her left arm. The one plate has all different kinds of food and nutrients from different types of cuisines - you can distinguish the Spanish variant, Italian variant, and French variant. At the other plate, it was nothing but Japanese food all-around, from sushi, to tempura, to even more sushi

30 minutes coming through the clock from the first time you and Jiyeon had a round of eating, the buffet manager approached you two and inquired how your meal was going.

"Good afternoon, ma'am - sir. How's the experience so far?"
"It's great! The foods are very yummy!" Jiyeon answers. 
"How about you, sir?"
"Delectable - especially the paella." 
"It's good to know that a KPOP Idol and her friend is enjoying their time here in my restaurant. Please, keep yourselves satisfied, and if you need anything - do not hesitate to give us your concern." The manager graciously said. 

She then proceeded to leave your tableside, and now the pressure is all on Sung Jiyeon's. 

You wanted to address the 'elephant in the room', but you wanted to choose your words carefully, so you the mood and the relationship between you and Jiyeon won't have to change. 
You smiled with a bit of small laughs, then looked at her straight in the eyes, for right then you could tell she's a bit bashful. 

"Damn ... I didn't know all this time I've been spending the last couple of hours with a KPOP idol ..."
"That's okay - it's the reason why I said yes anyway."
"You said yes to hanging out because you wanted someone who didn't know you?"
"It's difficult being a KPOP idol, especially when your group is part of the charts. I wanted to spend time on my own this morning, somewhere discreet, somewhere not many people usually are." 
"And the poster you took a photo of earlier ... was that your group?"
"Yes, I took a picture of our group - Momoland. I wanted to post it later at Instagram as an update for the fans." 
"Damn .... so, which member are you in that group?"
"Jane. I'm Momoland's Jane." 
"Well, I don't know that person, and I do not know that idol - all I see in front of me is a woman I met just this morning, Sung Jiyeon." 

Jiyeon promptly responded with a smile and a bow with her head to you and said "Thank you." 

"So ... how do you wanna spend the rest of the day after our lunch?" 
You asked. 
"I know this PC Bang, one station away from your hotel ... Maybe we can play some games?" Jiyeon recommended. 
"I would love that."

Jiyeon, Jane, or whatever alias she has, she was indifferent to you. You treat her like none of the life she's grown bored to, and for that - you found a friend beyond the idea of just a whim of your heart. 

Kind of funny, innit? You went to South Korea to spend time with the friends you already had. Now, you'll be leaving with a new one.