12 Hours - Honda Hitomi feat. Myoui Mina

The Theorist

Staring at the elderly gentleman in front of you. You were completely bored out of your mind waiting for the clock to strike at 8:35 AM. Switching between sharing another awkward glimpse with the codger, and continuing your read on the documents your secretary sent you over the course of your 2 month vacation in Tokyo. The sad reality of life is that if you want to afford the finer things in life, you need to ‘work like a dog’. And the sadder reality of it is that it will follow through your days, even if you try to indulge in the purpose of running away from them in the first place, like having a vacation leave.

It almost flew from your mind that you’re one of Britain’s best barristers, and never an hour goes by that the law in your hands is what your clients expect from your calibre. You tried to make the best out of your time in Japan, but you knew from the moment you had stepped inside that airport, you have to resume your life from paradise.

The moment you waited for has come, and the PA system opens with it’s ringtone to gather the attention of the people in the terminal. A clear, crisp voice of a woman begins her dissemination through the intercom. She announced that Gate 21 was beginning to board passengers for flight H610, which was your flight back to England. You took a heavy sigh of relief, and started organising your papers to return back inside your laptop bag. Once everything was to your satisfaction, you stood up, hung the strap of your bag on your shoulder, and fell in line for the ever growing queue stretching across the boarding area.

Eventually making it to the front, it was your turn to interact with the gate agents waiting by the desk. All you had to do was present your boarding pass, and they’ll let you through - and particularly with ease since you’re a first class passenger. Confirmations done, the gate agents greeted you a good morning, and gave you back your boarding pass. You gave a light bow, and headed through the jet bridge towards the plane. A short stroll was all it took, until you were greeted by one of the flight attendants at the airplane door who was helping with directing the passengers to their respective cabins.

V LIVE

おはようございます !She blurted out.

“Oh, ohayou … Mina.” You learned her name from her name tag.

“May I see your boarding pass?” She cordially wanted to fulfill her role.

“Sure, here you go.” You handed it over.

“First Class! This way, please!” Mina personally escorts you towards your cabin.

You felt absolutely delighted that you got what you were paying for from All Nippon Airways, but it was kind of expected anyway that people who afforded the first class travel would be treated like dukes and duchesses. Mina signals one of her colleagues to take over her post as she leads you to your appropriate seat. Mina leads the way down the aisles going up to the front of the plane, just right before the cockpit itself.

Passing through Premium Economy, Mina even offered to carry your bag for you, but of course you declined and felt a little bashful. You were both going into Business Class now, and the change of the seats and the design of the cabin was so different from the last that it wowed you to an extreme. Mina caught you wandering your eyes around, gandering at the entire cabin like a kid in a candy store, and it may be rightfully safe to assume that you have your eyes on someone already - a blonde stewardess who was assisting an elderly couple to their seats.

All you could see at the moment was her side view, and her bright blue uniform that was quite different from the rest of the other attendants, which made you burgeon with curiosity. So prying, that Mina had to tap you by the shoulder to recover your attentiveness towards heading to your cabin, and you found yourself glued standing in the middle of the aisle, blocking the other passengers from getting to their seats. You instantly turned around to apologise to the others, and Mina returned you both on your tracks towards First Class.

Even with the few remaining steps to exit the Business Class cabin entering the galley, you still had your eyes on that petite girl, and just as you were about to have your vision obstructed by the incoming wall, she gave you a glance.

Hitomi_5.jpg

Your eyes connected, and the world stood still in a matter of a second. Blankness ravaged through your unpeaceful mind, and soon the beat of your heart tripled in speed. She was the first one to look away, and when she did, your senses returned to normal and you almost bumped into Mina. Luckily, you were able to restrain yourself and stop at the right moment as Mina introduces you to your section. Your seat was at the very front of the cabin, just next to the galley separating Business Class.

“Here we are, your seat. I suppose you’ll be storing your bag inside the overhead bin?” Mina asks.

“Err, yes! I will.” You answered.

“Allow me, please.” Mina reaches out for your laptop bag.

At this point, you realised Mina is just doing her work with passion, plus it’s easier to just lift up a bag with the weight of a laptop and a few bond papers to put in a compartment; unlike carrying it through the half of the aircraft. You handed over your bag, and bowed to Mina to express your gratitude. Mina kept that smile on as she took the bag from you and put it inside the overhead bin. Whilst Mina was occupied with closing the storage, you decided to know a bit more about one of her colleagues from earlier through her.

“So, Mina, out of curiosity, that girl wearing a different uniform from yours earlier … Who is she?” You tried your best not to sound foolish.

“Oh, you mean Hitomi. She’s assigned in the Business Class cabin. Did you encounter any problems with her that we should pour our attention to?” Mina wonders with anguish.

“No! Definitely not! I was just intrigued why she was looking quite incomparable from the rest.” You defended Hitomi.

“She made a bet with the other flight attendants, and she lost. That’s why she has to wear that skimpy, colorful, and cartoonish outfit.” Mina explained.

“I see. Thanks, Mina. What time will we be lifting off?” You inquired for the last time. 

“Departure is around 9:00 to 9:10. Would you fancy a drink while waiting?” Mina offered.

“Sure, that’d be lovely. It’s an open bar, innit?” You pointed to the boozer.

The best on-board first class airplane bars | Gentleman's Journal

“For First Class passengers such as yourself, it is.”
Mina reassures with a wink.

“Well, in that case, I’d love an ‘Old Fashioned’ please.” You requested.

“In a moment, please. I’ll just fetch our bartender for this flight.” Mina bowed before leaving.

You decided to sit by the countertop in order to inspect the selection of liquor on display whilst waiting for the barman - or in this case, barwoman. Back turned from her, she was quite unsure herself if she should make her presence known, or wait for you to figure it out soon enough. Discerning it was better to make that cocktail now before the airplane lifts off is the better idea, she comes up from the back and greets you as she makes her way behind the counter.
It was that girl, Hitomi, bearing a lovely smile just like Mina had a few moments ago.

“Ohayou gozaimasu!” You greeted out of surprise.

“Hi!” Hitomi was also jolted.

“Blimey - I’m sorry. I didn’t expect you, Hitomi - I was startled.” You said.

“You know my name?” Hitomi was astounded.

“Yes … I saw your name tag earlier.” You fibbed.

I’m not wearing a name tag though …” Hitomi called you out on your truancy.

Physically, you’re not. But you see, I have this … I have this knack for guessing peoples names right by- by-  by just looking at them ...” You continued to mount your folly.

すごい ! “ Hitomi exclaimed.

“Yes! Very ‘sugoi’! Very ‘sugoi’ indeed! So, you’re the mixologist for this flight?” You immediately redirected the subject.

“Yes, I made a bet with some of my colleagues, now I have to wear this stupid costume, and make the drinks.” Hitomi said with an irked tone.

“You look parlously dainty though … But what I’m really trying to say is that you look beautiful, and you’ve surely caught a lot of people’s eyes.” You chortled at first, but then reconsolidated

Hitomi’s confidence gleamed through her smile, and just like that, she felt and looked a little less timid. It was going to be a long flight from Haneda to Heathrow, and it seems like it’s going to be an indefinite amount of time for Hitomi to wear her wagered fashion, so it’s best she starts going on about her day before anytime soon. 

Hitomi begins to make your cocktail, she gathers the necessary ingredients to make any 'Old Fashioned'. Watching Hitomi do her thing was quite magical, it was like you were in a surreal fantasy, where you have this adorable lady preparing your favourite drink. Maybe paradise hasn't left your side just yet, an estimation of 11 hours to 13 hours of flight time (depending on conditions and travel speed, of course) may be recognised as the final bits of heaven you can have, and what better way to spend it than to fly in First Class with a drink on hand?

Hitomi finishes up, and she serves you the drink on the countertop. She gives a deep bow, and leaves to return back into the Business Class cabin, and with her company gone she gets replaced by Mina to inform you that departure is now imminent in a few minutes, and everyone is advised to sit down at their respective seats. You took your drink with you back to your seat, and Mina revealed she was the stewardess assigned to the First Class cabin, but bluntly speaking, she’s the stewardess assigned to you - since you were the only First Class passenger on the flight.

-

Three hours had passed, it was exactly 12:10 from the initial departure time the airplane took, and you were woken up by Hitomi who was tapping your knee. She was serving your lunch, and the cocktail you had earlier fulfilled its purpose as a supposed apéritif, and you felt the rush of hunger fill your bones.

“Bring up your seat back, please.” She said.

You instantly readjusted your recline, and sat up as Hitomi brought out the retractable table in front of you. ‘Service with a smile’ like they were trained to do, she brings out the tray from the trolley, and lays out one by one the utensils, followed by your main course, and the drink of your choice. Hitomi gave a bow before leaving, but you halted her by lightly grasping her lower forearm.

“Hitomi, may I please have a moment?” You requested.

“Yes, what may I help you with?” Hitomi turns back towards you.

“I just wanted to ask how long you will be staying in London once we land?” You broke the ice.

“Only for a few hours, really. Once we’ve refueled and we’re good for travel, we’re gonna board for another flight returning to Haneda by midnight.” Hitomi answered.

The dismay on your face became visible with every word that Hitomi said. Your smile slowly turned to a moue. Hitomi’s grin lessened, and she felt like she’d let someone down from your reaction, and you noticed this so you quickly changed your demeanour.

“Well, that’s a shame. I was thinking of asking you out on a date once we landed. It’s okay though! I’ll just book another flight, and hopefully that time around - I’ll get to know more about you than just your name.” You confessed followed by a jest.

Hitomi left to the galley without saying another word, and you followed her with your eyes. She disappeared for a moment, and she reappeared with a bottle of wine, and two wine glasses on hand. She took a peek inside the Business Class cabin, then she turned around to go back to the seat next to yours.

“Captain estimated we’ll be arriving at Heathrow at 9 PM BST, which is twelve hours away from now. Maybe we don’t need to wait then.” Hitomi suggested whilst she was opening the bottle of wine with a corkscrew.

“Wait a minute- You’re going to drink with me now? But you’re on-duty! Are you guys allowed to drink?” You panicked with concern.

“It’s okay! Mina asked me to switch with her … So, I’m now the assigned stewardess for the First Class cabin. I won’t get in trouble if you promise not to tell.” Hitomi winked at you as she poured your glass.

You couldn’t thank Mina enough in your mind, for whatever reason she may have come up with to do that, it certainly was a delight on your end and hopefully the Business Class cabin won’t give Mina too much trouble. Hitomi handed over your glass of wine, and she reached out hers for cheers. Kanpai you and Hitomi said before you both took a swig of that bittersweet liqueur.

“At least allow me to pay for the bottle then, Hitomi-chan.” You digressed.

“Of course. Did you think I was gonna pay for this?” Hitomi said with a playful smirk.

-

What seemed like forever, only took another three hours, with Hitomi getting more flushed with each sip of wine she had, and you happier with every giggle she does due to inebriation. Finished with your meal, Hitomi mustered up the remaining sobriety she had to collect the accoutrements served with your meal, the used dishes and all back to the galley - but to no avail, you inevitably ended up helping her to carry it back. Then, you asked her to watch the in-flight movie with you. Once again, you didn’t expect her to say yes, but then again it wouldn’t matter if she was skiving if no one else would know.

Hitomi sat beside you, and you both watched the two hour long movie at each screen provided for the seats. At times, Hitomi would poke you, and pretended that she didn’t have anything to do with it - even if the joke downplays literally to its core since you’re the only two people in the cabin. You found that she was naturally skittish, and she’d act like this with people she found to be comfortable with.

Overhead the Russian border now, passing Mongolia, it was an early sunset for leaving the other face of the planet. Cruising with an altitude of 40,000 ft and above the clouds, you and Hitomi can clearly see outside the wide windows of the airplane the fleeting shape of the sun.

sunset view from the plane

Enjoying the clearest panorama, the plane’s PA system opened, and it was brought to the passengers’ attention about the pristine view.

“It’s clear and 44 degrees.” The captain said.

With the last rays of the sun submerging below the clouds, and all that remain are the funny kind of orange and yellow, the cabin lights automatically opened. Standing up from your seat, Hitomi was wondering what you were up to, so you started humming. You reached your hand out to Hitomi whose eyes glistened as you looked into them.

“If you feel like dancing, dance with me.” You said, then continued humming.

Hitomi was reluctant at first, she looked around to see if anyone else was there. Securing your privacy, Hitomi took your hand and stood up as well, and you led her to the front of the cabin. Hitomi joined your humming, and she started swaying to your rhythm. You’ve put your hands on her waists, and Hitomi embraced you, in her arms you both swayed to your hearts’ content.

Coming from the Business Class cabin, Mina was wondering where Hitomi was, and she finally located her. Mina makes her presence known, and you both stopped jiving.

“Excuse me, will you be taking the option of napping? If so, we will dim the lights and give you a pillow and a blanket, then we’ll set up your bed.” Mina offered to you.

“That would be brilliant, but would it be all right if I asked for two blankets and two pillows instead?” You asked.

“Sure, I’ll fetch your pillows and blankets. Hitomi-chan, please set up the bed?” Mina requested of Hitomi.

Hitomi bowed and left your side to lay out the retractable bed. Mina came walking back in with two fluffy pillows and two adult-sized blankets. She laid it on the bed, once Hitomi was done. Mina gave a smile to you and Hitomi, then she bowed before leaving. Hitomi felt a little embarrassed that one of her co-workers caught her. You can see that Hitomi was starting to think twice staying in the cabin, so you put your hand in hers, and you feathered her right cheek.

“I’m sure the rest have been notified that the only passenger in First Class is asleep. I don’t think we’d be bothered until landing. Would you like to rest beside me?” You proposed to Hitomi.

Hitomi nodded her head, and then took you by the hand towards the corner of the cabin. With a turn of the knob, the lights turned from neutral white to warm white - and the entire place looked like a bedroom setting. Hitomi returned you in her arms, and you both slowly crept to bed. Before you knew it, you and Hitomi were staring at the ceiling, sharing the same blanket.
Feeling the way Hitomi’s embrace loosen with every second passing by as you played with her hair, it was hard to resist closing your eyes when you know you’ve had too much of heaven at this point.

-

The remaining six hours went by, and when you woke up to the captain’s PA system announcement that the plane had started descending to London, you couldn’t feel Hitomi beside you anymore. You were alarmed, and you sat up at once and looked around you to see Hitomi was standing at the aisle beside you, watching you sleep, and snicker at your funny state. You felt relieved, and then you started laughing at yourself.

“Sorry, for a second there I thought what happened was just in my imagination, so I panicked. I don’t want to ever go far away from you, Hitomi.” You said to Hitomi.

“I had to get up now, we’re about to land soon. Thank you for everything, the truth is I wish I could stay a little bit longer with you. Maybe for a day or two - just as long as I can lie beside you again.” Hitomi said with a tear streaming down her face that she tried her best to hide.

“I promise we’ll be together again. I’ll rack up my frequent-flyer miles if I have to.” You jested.

Hitomi left the cabin back to where she needed to be. You looked at your phone, and you saw the twelve hours were up. You looked outside the window and you saw the surrounding area of the landing strip at Heathrow. At any moment now, the plane will land on the tarmac, and only who knows when will you see Hitomi again.

-

Right outside of Piccadilly Circus, near Green Park, you were reviewing a new case over brunch.
From your peripherals, you saw a petite, blonde woman approach your table. She then sat down on the chair in front of you, and took your plate from you. You grinned, and rested the dossier you were reading on the chair beside you and you looked up.

Hitomi_3.jpg

Two months … Really?”
You said with a dumbfounded tone.

“You said you’d book another flight, and you didn’t!” Hitomi yelled at you.

“It’s not that I didn’t want to, I had to work on a few cases. I need to earn money so I can book a flight.” You clarified.

“Well, I’m here now. I'm staying for a week.” Hitomi said before she took a bite of your grub.

“You didn’t even give me a kiss! You just took my food right away!” You were in awe.

“I’ll make it up to you, how about a date tonight?” Hitomi used her puppy eyes.