Sun Down and We All Come Out - Song Yuqi feat. G-IDLE

The Theorist

204aedbacd399f3f08031d4c98314582.jpg

There she was, standing in the middle of the flashing lights, probably drowning from them as well. Her fame was all it took to make the cameras do their main purpose for invention, and her name was all it took to make everyone look by her direction. Such an adorable, cute, and beautiful woman. She was the center of everyone's attention one way or another. You were just another one of those characters in her life - a distant observer fortunate enough to be even bask in the same atmosphere Song Yuqi is in. 
The reality of it though .... is that you don't really mind it. You're not a fan or an admirer of Yuqi's, though you acknowledge her accolades with G-IDLE, her natural Chinese-beauty, and her influence in the industry; she's just not that much of a figure in your eyes to even have you falling breathless in her presence anymore. Yuqi knows this herself, how can't she? She's your ex-girlfriend, through the thick, but apparently not the thin. 
It was G-IDLE's night out at the most prestigious and fancy restaurant in all of Gangnam, le Ciel - a five star restaurant serving the most exquisite French cuisine courses in all of Seoul. The entire restaurant has been phoned ahead, and the function room has been reserved for them six, plus their manager. A little press interview has been conducted by the company to catch up a little talk with the group after their win from the Melon Music Awards again. It was complete happenstance that you chose to the same night out to reserve a table for two in le Ciel as well, you had no idea they would be there. It just dawned to you when you entered the restaurant, and the entrance hall is filled with a handful of reporters, interviewers, and shutterbugs creating the sea of flashes. 

At the middle of all this hoopla, are the six women behind the idea of the girl group 'G-IDLE'. Soyeon stood at the very far end, followed by Soojin, Shuhua, Yuqi at the middle of them five, Miyeon, and Minnie completing the line-up. When the door was opened for you by the staff, per standard operating procedure is that they have to greet the customer(s) with a very loud "Bonjour!", which practically exposes the fact there's a person by the door. In the middle of G-IDLE's little time in the spotlight - Yuqi gets distracted from it to look at the people at the door, which was the restraurant employee, you. and your date that night: your current girlfriend. 
You met eyes with Yuqi and you both felt that sudden creeping of cold blood running along your spines. Your heart skipped a beat for all the wrong reasons, and Yuqi quickly returned her sights back to the cameras where her face screams the expression that she has just seen a ghost. Your girlfriend also sees the commotion up ahead, and she realises it's G-IDLE, whilst she evidently looks at you with a blank but worrying intention. She obviously sees your reaction, and she places her palm on your cheek to grab your attention and comfort you. 

"We can just rebook for another night, dear. If you're not comfortable-"
"Nonsense! It's your birthday! And it will take a few months again to have another reservation. It's your birthday tonight, baby. I'm not uncomfortable with 'her' around. It's been years, and I have you already - I'm completely fine, I promise." You replied. 

Your girlfriend gives you the loveliest smile of the night, and she nods to reassure that she's fine with your decision as well. You both held hands again and embraced each other for comfort. After a tight and warm embrace, you both walked to the reception area to talk to the maître d'hôtel and finally acquire the table you have reserved for months on end. It was a good thing there were only a few press media at the middle of the hall, along with a few photographers, so the path is clear to walk through and no need to squeeze pass any of the happening. 
Hand-in-hand, you and your girlfriend traversed the hallway with not a care in the world. Not each of you two even gave a damn to look at the girl group or their affair with the press. You just walked happily through, and made it sure this night will only be you, your hubby, good food, and a good bottle of wine. 
The open area served the entire aesthetic of the restaurant, from fancy chandeliers probably having authentic diamonds hanging from them for display, and a wide collection of wine bottles almost occupying the entire room. It looked lavish, expensive, and definitely high-class. That's why you brought out your white tuxedo paired with a red bowtie for this night, and your girlfriend made sure to wear the best black fancy dress she has in her closet. You both looked like the best couple in the restaurant, unmatched and unrivalled by the other men wearing three-piece suits, and women wearing what their designers dared to declare their 'magnum opus'. 

The maître d'hôtel acknowledges your presence at the reception area after only just waiting a few seconds, and she instantly inquires about your reservation or concern. You said your reservation for two, and the lady recognises right away who the couple are. 
She bows deeply, and requests that you two may wait for just a tick so your table can be prepared for your liking. You and your girlfriend said yes and were on stand-by once the lady left. Unfortunately for your case, G-IDLE just finished at the entrance hall with the press, and is now moving forward to get settled at their table for a lovely dinner as well. You heard the clacking of heels coming from behind become more defeaning, until they stopped and levelled with your position at the reception area. 
All six members have now been aware of your existence in the same restaurant they are in. 
Hoping for the best to pencil it down for the night that you did not encounter or conversed with them at all, that wishful thinking shatters right before your mind as a familiar voice from somewhere behind says "Hi!" and taps you by your arm. It was Shuhua, of course - the most energetic and happy-go-lucky out of the others just want to be respectful and still claim the idea you two are friends of separate entities from the realtionship you and Yuqi once had. 
You looked back to meet Shuhua's eyes and grinned at her like she was your little sister. 

"Hello, Shuhua!" You said with a light bow. You then proceeded to look at the others and wave hello. They waved back, and you bowed at them to show respect. They bowed as well, and after that, the members less Yuqi start conversing with you. 

"It's been so long! How've you been?!" Minnie asks with enthusiasm. 
"I'm all right. How about you girls? Congratulations on the wins, by the way! You six truly deserve it." You replied with a genuine grin and glee from your soul. 

You grabbed your girlfriend by the arm and waist lightly, and swung her front over to the ladies to introduce her.

"Guys, meet my girlfriend! We met at Jeju Island whilst I was staying at a hotel." 

Your girlfriend impulsively gives a big grin towards the girl group and bows to them. The girls reciprocate with a wave hello, and then some complimented her dress. At the middle of this exchange of pleasantries, G-IDLE's manager cuts through the space of conversation between you all, and approaches the maître d'hôtel himself to get their table going as well. 
After a moment of silence from the cut-off, Soyeon clears and refers back to talking to you. 

"We missed you. I hope the seven of us can go out for ice cream again, like we used to." 
"Yeah! That would be great. Actually, that could be my gift you guys since you won an award. Let's schedule a day where everyone is free, and the eight of us can go hang out!" 
"Eight? I don't think Manager-nim would-"
Soojin interrupts.
"No, I meant you six plus me and my girl. Eight of us could go out for ice cream - my treat." 

All six of 'em were having mixed emotions about the plan, but they were all leaning towards the positive side of it, and they want to push through with the scheme. Your glimpsed at your girlfriend and she's just smiling for formality. The maître d'hôtel finally breaks the more or less torture between the two groups by grabbing you and your girl's attention to lead you two to your table. A server also comes alongside her to lead the G-IDLE group inside the function room for their share of the night. 
You and your girl bid them farewell with a bow and a great smile, and so they did to you two as well. You and your girlfriend head right, when G-IDLE turned left, and the distance became clear once everyone were finally sat at their tables. The finest line between being technical, to being excessive is abundant all over the setup of silverware on your table. 
Forks and knives ranging from different lengths, sizes, and function are lain in front of you and your partner. The menu you two are holding are translated into three languages - EnglishFrench, and Korean
Minutes of pondering go by, the waiter takes your orders. The punctual, and fit Korean bloke greets you two a good evening both in English and Korean. 
Ceasar Salad for the two of you as appetizer, Crème de soupe à la citrouille for you whilst your girlfriend opted to stick with the salad instead of getting soup as well, a very well-regarded Filet Mignon steak at Medium Rare donenss to your liking with sides of Mashed Potatoes and Brie cheese, and Pan-roasted Sea Bass avec Roasted Pepper Sauce for your lady as entrées. 
All of this accompanied by a 1882 bottle of Cabarnet Sauvignon for you since you were having meat, whilst your lady gets Sauvignon Blanc from the 'Fatherland' France, deep cultured to flavour-extremes in a wine cellar in Lyon to go with her fish. 



Two and a half hours passed of absolute joy and feasting for the two of you, you cannot think of a better way on how to have spend this night with your girl - especially since today was her birthday. It was conspicuous in the eyes of your lover that this was one of the best nights she had with you. You both loved each other deeply and it has gotten deeper due to the ecstasy of dopamine and serotonin flowing in your bodies. Supported by the glasses of wine you two have nursed inside your stomachs, it was well time to declare it the moments in your life where you were so happy you wouldn't mind if you died. 
With the wine glasses drank over the course of the evening, it calls for you now to go to the restroom and empty your bladder. 
You stood up to head to the comfort room, controlling your balance, making it just barely obvious that you are a tad tipsy now. 
By chance and surprise at the hallway to the restrooms, Yuqi just came out of the ladies' room looking quite tipsy herself as well, and flushed. It seems like G-IDLE opted to drink the night away too to celebrate their achievement. Champagne calls for those occasions, and the ocassion fits Yuqi's reason to be downing champagne showers. You stood still for a moment waiting to see what she will do, and it seems like she's just resting her back on the wall whilst staring at you too. You could care less at this point because you have to hit the toilet as soon as possible, so you continued to the men's restroom. 
Following a few a minutes inside the comfort room, you finally got out after urinating, washing your hands, and fixing your bowtie. Right out the door, a few steps away from the men's room - you see Yuqi who it seems like never moved from the position she was at the last time you saw her. She was waiting for you to come out, and she wants to talk, apparently. 

"Nice tux..." Yuqi opened. 
"Thanks, nice dress, Yuqi."
"That tuxedo looks familiar..."
"It's the one we bought. Remember when we went to the tailour's?"
"Yeah, I remember."
"Finally got to wear it, and it still fits. Even after three years of burying this in my wardrobe." 
"Did you ever think of me after we broke up?"
Yuqi asks with a stern tone, and you know naturally how low Yuqi's voice is so this was really getting serious. 

You took a few seconds to scrutinise the words you will be releasing. Blinking, and moving your eyes around the scene, and you finally discerned the words you think will give you the best outcome.

"It's normal to think about the person you were once in a relationship with after a few months. After moving on, you only get to think of them when the topic emerges in a situation."
"Because I did .... every single day until this very day."
"That's very thoughtful of you, Yuqi. Thanks, I guess? I have to get back to my table now, you should go back to yours as well."

You were gonna walk away from Yuqi's presence now but she quickly grabbed you by the arm and pulled your sleeve. Yuqi's grip was strong but by the fact she was already intoxicated make her force a tad weak. Since you didn't want her to destroy your tux, you had no choice but to get pulled back with ease.

"I want you back..." Yuqi confesses to you. 
"What? Are you daft? It's just the liquor talking, Yuqi. Let go of me, and go back to your table now. Don't make me call Shuhua to fetch you."
"I'm sorry I broke up with you! I didn't mean to leave! I was confused at the time! I didn't know what I wanted!" 
"Yuqi, I can't. I have a girlfriend now, and even if I didn't have her - I don't love you anymore.."
"You're just saying that!"
"Yuqi, keep your voice down - you'll attract attention."
"Tell me, that day I asked you if we should break up, did you want to say yes?"

You took a deep breath to alleviate some tension on your chest, you took a glimpse at the restaurant outside and saw no one coming, so you continued to talk with Yuqi.

"Of course not. My heart was telling me to say no."
"Then why did you say yes?"
"Because your eyes were screaming, telling, explaining everything I needed to know to choose the decision I chose. You needed me to say yes."
"That's not true, and you know that I would've stayed and make it work with you!"
"No ... you're only saying that now because we had time to think the past through."
"That's what my heart is screaming now."
"You just debuted back then, Yuqi. I met you and we became a couple when you were a trainee, whilst I was at my fourth year in college. The fame, the need for recognition was blistering through your mind, and we both knew that. The busy schedules, the recordings, dance practises were eating you alive. You needed to drop something, so you started to discharge your frustrations towards me. Even unconsciously which spoke the better truth, your mind has made up the decision you would rather lose me than being Song Yuqi of G-IDLE." 
"You know I trained and worked so hard to be in a girl group ... You supported me throughout, and you said we'll both come out on top, and we'll live our lives together until the day we die."
"There were some things that were said that we couldn't have meant." 

Yuqi was utterly speechless, near to weeping, overwhelmed by her emotions and intoxication. 

"You know what was the kicker why I said 'yes'? I asked if you were still happy with me, and what did you answer?"
"Not anymore..." 

You took another deep breath to process your emotions as well because currently, the conversation is like the removal of weights and thorns from all over your shoulders. 

"When you said that, I lost my right to keep you for myself...."
"But I want to be happy with you agai-"
"I already have my girlfriend, Yuqi. She has made me the happiest, by patiently waiting for me to completely forget the heartaches from you ... by patiently showing me that love are more than just chemicals in our head ... She is the best thing that has happened to me." 

Yuqi places her palms on her eyes, and the snivelling begins. 

"One day you'll find the person who will make you happier than what I could've done if I said 'no' that day back then. Goodnight, Yuqi - give my regards to the group." 

And after such event, you went back to your table and kissed your girlfriend very sweetly. You saw Miyeon walking towards the restroom hallway, and you see her getting startled. It's probably from the sight of seeing her close friend sobbing. 
You see Miyeon disappear from your vision to run to Yuqi's aide. Right on cue a waiter approaches you with a bottle of Cabarnet Sauvingon with the intent to pour it in your wine glass. 

"Another, sir?"

You took a few seconds to think about the decision. 

"Uhmm ... no, I'll stick to the last one." You said whilst looking at your girlfriend in the eyes with the most endearing smile. 

A few seconds pass by come the waiter left your table, you call back his attention to request something. 

"Actually, scratch the wine. Bring us two glasses of your finest champagne." You commanded with a smile. 

The waiter bowed and headed to the back bar to register your order of champagne.

"Happy Birthday, love." You told your girlfriend with a heavenly smile on your face.