Bunny

Meet Me Halfway
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Soojin looked through the windows, lifting her arm to check the time on her watch. It was already past the closing time, almost midnight, actually. Soojin saw the familiar black Mercedes in the parking lot, and assumed her friend would let her in anyway. 

 

“Hello? You in there?” Soojin knocked on the door, cradling her injured hand to her chest. 

 

A few minutes later, the sound of the door unlocking was heard from the other side, and Soojin grinned immediately. The door opened and revealed an annoyed woman, but nonetheless welcoming Soojin in. 

 

“What happened to your hand?” The woman asked, sounding not at all surprised about it. 

 

“I need you to stitch it up for me.” Soojin said, walking further into the clinic and jumping up to sit on one of the tables. 

 

The woman walked towards her, unwrapping her hand, and raising a brow, “it looks like you got stitches already? Who did them?” She questioned, knowing Soojin’s disdain for hospitals, and assuming that was the last place Soojin would go to. 

 

“I… went to the hospital…” Soojin muttered. 

 

The woman raised a brow, not believing her one bit. “You’re ing with me.” 

 

Soojin rolled her eyes, “someone made me go, and I did try to. I thought I was going to make it in. It just didn’t work out. A doctor stitched it up outside of the hospital… on a bench…” 

 

The woman gave her an amused face, “who is this someone? I’m surprised they got you to at least try to go.” 

 

Soojin shrugged, “she’s no one important.” 

 

The woman raised her eyebrows, a teasing smirk on her lips, “well, she, whoever this girl is, is making you do things out of your comfort zone. Even I can’t do that.” 

 

Soojin made a face, “Wendy, she was crying and begging me to go to the hospital because she was scared I was going to bleed to death on her kitchen floor. It’s not that deep. She’s no one special.” 

 

Wendy rolled her eyes, “crying is your weakness? I guess I’ll cry next time you show up bruised and beaten, so that you’ll consider going to a proper emergency room.” 

 

Soojin scoffed, “It was not a weakness. I was just annoyed. And besides, your clinic has everything you need to fix me up, so a hospital is not necessary.” 

 

Wendy sighed, bringing the tools she needed to fix Soojin’s finger. “Not when you show up as bad as you did the last time. I’m a doctor, Soojin, but I run a clinic, and I don’t have the tools to perform surgery on you if it ever happens again, or maybe worse. God forbid.”

 

Soojin frowned, “there won’t be a next time. He won’t find us again.” 

 

Wendy hummed, not meeting Soojin’s eyes. “If it were up to me, your drunk and poor excuse of a father would have been behind bars a long time ago.” 

 

Soojin's jaw clenched at the mention of her father, whom she doesn’t speak about. “Well, it’s not up to you.” Wendy paused her movements, raising her eyes to meet Soojin’s empty gaze. 

 

“I don’t know why you still choose to protect him. After all he’s done to you and your siblings.” Wendy shook her head, continuing with her task of restitching Soojin’s finger. 

 

“I also don’t know why you don’t fight back and protect yourself. We both know you can damn well beat anyone’s if you wanted to. You didn’t take martial arts classes when you were younger for nothing, Jin.” Wendy pointed out.

 

“I will never let him touch my siblings.” Soojin said firmly. 

 

“And what about you? You’re gonna let him just kill you?” Wendy retorted. 

 

Soojin sighed, “just drop it, please. I don’t want to talk about him. Ever.” Wendy hummed, attentive to the younger girl’s guarded personality. Soojin watched Wendy finish up, wrapping a bandage around her finger like the doctor had at the hospital. 

 

“Leave this on for—,” 

 

“For two weeks, I know, I know.” Soojin cut Wendy off, and the doctor gave her a look. 

 

“Okay, I better not see you back here, ever. Stop hurting yourself, kid.” Wendy pushed Soojin’s head lightly, causing the younger girl to let out a whine. 

 

“I thought you loved seeing me. I’m hurt.” Soojin feigned a hurt expression, clutching onto her heart dramatically. If anyone else had seen Soojin act like this, it would be quite the surprise to see her so different. 

 

“I do, but I prefer seeing you outside of this clinic, when you don’t need fixing. Every time you stop by, you’re always in a state I don’t want to see you in.” Wendy stated, and Soojin only pouted.

 

“They’re battle scars.” Soojin grinned, but it quickly disappeared when Wendy gave her an unimpressed look. 

 

“How’s Irene?” Soojin changed the subject. 

 

Wendy smiled, looking down to hide her blush at the mention of her fiancé. “She’s doing good. Says she misses you and the kids.” Soojin grinned, wiggling her eyebrows teasingly at the older girl. “Aw, Wendy you’re so gay.” 

 

Wendy scoffed, “speak for yourself. Which girl are you fooling around with this time? Is she different or is it still that Lia girl?” 

 

Soojin gaped, “I am not talking about my life with you. You’re like my mother. out, old lady.” 

 

Wendy’s eyes widened, “brat, I’m only four years older than you.” 

 

Soojin snorted, “four years too old.” 

 

Wendy crossed her arms, “I will cut you. I have tools.” 

 

Soojin giggled mischievously, hopping off of the table, and gathering her things. “Alright, I’m out. Gotta get home to my little rascals.” 

 

Wendy hummed, opening her arms patiently. Soojin stood by the door, hand on the handle, eyes blankly looking back at Wendy. “You’re lucky I take my payments from you in hugs, Soojin.” Wendy pointed out, and Soojin rolled her eyes. She exaggerated her stomps towards the older girl, going in for the hug like she was forced to do it. Wendy giggled, tightly embracing the younger girl. 

 

“Love you, kiddo. Now get out of here. You made me super late. If Irene gets mad, I’m immediately pointing fingers at you.” Wendy tapped Soojin’s teasingly. 

 

Soojin scoffed, “go ahead. Irene loves me.” 

 

Wendy chuckled, pushing Soojin out the door, before the younger girl could stall even more. 

 

_

 

Soojin grinned as Yoon pointed to her artwork that was hung on the wall of the orphanage. It was a cute drawing of their little family at the dog park because that was Yoon’s favorite place ever. 

 

“It was “show and tell” today at school, and I don’t think I really own anything that I’m proud to show off, so I drew this instead.” Yoon practically dragged Soojin towards the art wall as soon as she came to pick her up, excited to have shown Soojin her creation. 

 

“I told them about you, who is an amazing dancer and sister,” Yoon pointed to the tallest person in the drawing, and Soojin grinned, looking down at her little sister with fondness. “And I told them about Jae, who is the best soccer player ever.” Yoon pointed to the boy in the picture, a soccer ball drawn next to him. 

 

“And me! The cutest girl in the world!” Yoon jumped on her feet, finishing off by grinning widely at Soojin. “You sure are the cutest girl in the world!” Soojin laughed, bending to pinch Yoon’s cheek adoringly. 

 

“My little artist. You’re so talented.” Soojin squatted to meet Yoon’s eyes. 

 

Yoon giggled, “I showed it to Mrs. Anderson when I got here after school, and she loved it so much, she hung it up on the art wall!” She pointed at her drawing again, feeling very proud of herself. 

 

“I see that, baby. I’m so proud of you.” Soojin ruffled Yoon’s hair, grinning widely. 

 

Suddenly, Yoon’s eyes lit up, looking past Soojin, and getting excited once again.

 “Oh! Oh! Shu! Look at my drawing!” Yoon moved past Soojin, running to take Shuhua’s hand, who had just entered the doors to start her volunteer shift that week. 

 

Shuhua immediately grinned at Yoon, taking a hold of her hand, “drawing?” 

 

When Shuhua met eyes with Soojin, who was now leaning against the art wall, her smile disappeared into a surprised look. “O-Oh.. Hey…” Shuhua greeted, smiling shyly at the older girl. 

 

Soojin smirked, raising her hand, and fluttering her fingers, in greeting. Yoon proceeded to drag Shuhua closer, pointing at her drawing she was so proud of, “I drew this for “show and tell” at school, because I have the best sister and brother ever.” Yoon grinned at Shuhua. 

 

Shuhua feigned a surprise gasp, “you did? Oh my god. You did so good. You even got your sister’s red lips down to detail.” Shuhua praised Yoon, who’s smile only widened at the compliments. 

 

Soojin raised her eyebrows at the mention of her lips, tongue prodding out to swipe over her bottom lip. Shuhua met her eyes for a split second, looking elsewhere right away when she got caught staring. Soojin’s smirk widened, shaking her head softly to herself. 

 

“Are you going home already? I see your sister is here to pick you up earlier than usual.” Shuhua said to Yoon, completely trying to avoid exchanging any words or looks with the older girl. 

 

Yoon pouted, turning to look up at Soojin with a sad look, “are we? Shu just got here. I want to play. Can we stay longer? Please?” 

 

“I thought you wanted me to take you to the dog park today? That’s why I came early to pick you up.” Soojin said, an eyebrow raised at her little sister. 

 

“But I want to draw with Shu… we can go after, right? Maybe we can take Shu with us!” Yoon suggested, jumping on her feet again, grinning in anticipation. Soojin raised her gaze to look questioningly at Shuhua, who only shrugged, not being able to look at Soojin for longer than a second. 

 

“Okay, just one more hour, Yoon. Then we have to go. We don’t want to keep Jae alone at home for too long.” Soojin sighed, giving in too easily. She could never resist Yoon’s cute little face. Especially when Yoon didn’t ask for much. Yoon was quite mature for her age, having a different and realistic outlook on life that sometimes surprised the adults around her, but even then, Yoon was as cute as a button. 

 

Yoon cheered, “yay! Let’s go! I don’t want to waste any time!” Yoon took hold of both girls' hands, dragging them towards the empty room where the table that Shuhua and her would usually draw at was.  

 

Yoon sat the two girls at the table, then ran off to grab supplies from the office. Soojin chuckled at the way Shuhua still avoided her eyes, “are you going to ignore me the whole time I’m here?”  Soojin questioned with amusement in her voice. 

 

Shuhua blinked, “w-what? I’m not… I’m not ignoring you….” She stammered, taking in a breath. Shuhua looked back to see where Yoon had disappeared to, hoping she would come back quickly. 

 

Soojin rolled her eyes, “you’re bad at lying, stray girl.” 

 

Shuhua squinted her eyes at Soojin, an offended look on her face. “I’m not lying.” 

 

Soojin smirked, “you don't have to act weird around me, stray girl. We’re both adults, that did…. an adult thing…” Soojin stated, cautious about the things she said, even if it was just them two in the room, with the rest of the children playing outside. 

 

Shuhua shrugged, “I’m not acting weird.” 

 

Soojin chuckled, “yeah, okay.” 

 

Yoon came running back holding a box of coloring tools and a stack of paper. She sat in between the two girls, putting a paper in front of all three of them. 

 

“I can’t draw, Yoon.” Soojin deadpanned. 

 

Yoon giggled, “you don’t have to be good, Soojin. No art is bad. Art is art.” 

 

Soojin smiled at Yoon’s words, “you’re a wise little one, huh?” 

 

“Maybe Shu can teach you some things! She taught me a few art things last week.” Yoon suggested, and Soojin smiled at Shuhua, eyes glinting with tease. 

 

“You’re gonna teach me how to draw?” Soojin asked, resting her head on her palm. Shuhua shrugged, “what do you know how to do?” 

 

Soojin hummed, “I can barely draw a stick figure.” 

 

Yoon giggled, “Shu, she needs lots of help.” 

 

Shuhua snorted, “your sister can’t be that bad, Yoon. What should I teach her how to draw?” Shuhua asked the little girl, pulling the paper closer towards her, a color pencil in hand.

 

“Teach her how to draw a bunny! Like you taught me last time.” Yoon suggested, already starting her own drawing. 

 

“You think you can draw a bunny?” Shuhua asked Soojin, raising her eyebrows at the older girl in question. 

 

“That should be easy, right?” Soojin responded. 

 

Shuhua chuckled, before she started her bunny drawing step by step, making it simpler than what she would usually draw. Soojin followed every line and of the pencil as best as she could, eyebrows furrowed in concentration, and tongue sticking out habitually. 

 

Soojin didn’t expect herself to take thi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter