Not My Story To Tell

Meet Me Halfway
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jeno stared at Shuhua with teasing eyes, a smirk on his lips, and leaned back into his chair with his arms crossed. “So what you’re saying is…. I was right?” 

 

Shuhua clicked her tongue, a glare thrown at the snickering Jeno. “And now I regret telling you.” 

 

Jeno grinned, “Shu, I told you! I told you she either likes you or wants to you! Damn, I should’ve bet on it.” Jeno facepalmed himself, giving Shuhua a playful look. 

 

Shuhua scoffed, “you’re a child.” 

 

Jeno looked at her expectantly, “so?” Shuhua gave him a confused look, raising her eyebrows at him questioningly. 

 

“Are you gonna hook up with her?” Jeno asked, tapping the table with his hands excitedly. Shuhua’s eyes widened at his question, “w-what? N-No… I would never just hook up with someone.” Shuhua stuttered. 

 

“Why not? The beauty of a hook up is that you get to enjoy with no sort of attachment, whatsoever. It’s the best thing in the world.” Jeno spoke with true passion about the concept that is hook ups, and Shuhua scrunched her face. 

 

“The best thing in the world is forming a beautiful, emotional connection with someone that you might want to spend the rest of your life with. It’s romantic.” Shuhua smiled, eyes glinting with fondness in her gaze. 

 

Jeno pretended to puke, “ew. Shuhua, you need to stop reading those fictional romance novels of yours. Those are so unrealistic.” 

 

Shuhua gave him a pouty look, “so you’re saying you’d choose to just hook up with random people instead of falling in love with someone special?” 

 

Jeno wagged his finger, “no, no. What I’m saying, is that we’re young, and we’ve got time to fall in love and have that experience. Just have fun, Shu. That’s all I’m saying. Besides, Soojin’s hot. Too bad she’s not into men. I would totally hook up with her.” 

 

Shuhua grimaced, “hook ups sound very complicated.” 

 

Jeno hummed in disagreement, “only if you make it to be complicated. You make rules to set boundaries, and you follow them. That way it’s not complicated, and there’s no expectations from each other. Trust me I’m very experienced in this field.” Jeno wiggled his eyebrows at his friend, who looked at him with a weird expression. 

 

“I’m not considering ever hooking up with anyone, so keep your hook up advice to yourself, please and thank you.” Shuhua got up from her seat to order her second order of coffee for the day, leaving a snickering Jeno in his seat. 

 

“Hey, what can I get for you today?” Shuhua smiled at the Starbucks worker who welcomed her with the same kind smile. “Can I do a venti iced caramel macchiato, with an extra shot, please.” Shuhua said to the worker, eyes lowering to her name tag that read the name “Anne.” 

 

“Okay, can I get your name please?” Anne held a venti cup in her hand, the other holding a sharpie, ready to jot down Shuhua’s name. “Shu— I mean, Susan.” Shuhua responded, saving the complications of having to spell out her name, and using her english name instead. 

 

“Okay, Susan, would that be all for today?” Shuhua nodded in response, and before she could open her wallet to pull out her card to pay, a voice startled her from behind. 

 

“Can I get my original order, please, Anne. And just add her order to mine.” Shuhua saw the card before she saw who had voluntarily paid for her order. She whirled around, and was met with a familiar blonde girl. 

 

“Hey, cutie.” Lia greeted her with a bright smile. Shuhua’s eyes widened subtly, taking a step back to get a comfortable distance from the other girl. 

 

“H-Hey… Lia? Was it?” Shuhua said, unsure. 

 

Lia nodded, “yeah, that’s me.” 

 

Shuhua offered her a smile, “you didn’t have to pay for my drink, Lia. I’ll just pay you back—,” her hand reached for her wallet, but was stopped by Lia’s hand lowering it, “nonsense. It’s just a cup of coffee, Shuhua. I got it.” Lia assured her with a comforting smile. 

 

Shuhua scratched her head, an uncomfortable expression on her face. Lia chuckled, sensing the burden Shuhua felt. “Okay, how about, next time you pay for my cup of coffee? So we’re even?” Lia suggested, looking expectant and hopeful. Shuhua hummed in thought, “okay. Yeah, next time.” 

 

Lia smiled, “I’ll hold you up on that offer. Remember, I don’t forget the cute ones.” Shuhua received a wink, before the other girl grabbed her coffee and made her way out of the coffee shop. 

 

Shuhua’s eyes trailed after her, before finally grabbing her own drink, and returning back to her friend that gave her a questioning look. 

 

“What?” Shuhua asked. 

 

Jeno raised a brow, “who was that girl flirting with you while you were in line?” Shuhua sat down in her seat, laying her drink next to her as she opened up her laptop, ignoring her friend. 

 

“Don’t ignore me. Answer my question.” Jeno softly nudged Shuhua’s feet under the table. Shuhua rolled her eyes, “her name’s Lia. She’s one of the girls Soojin hooks up with.” 

 

Jeno tilted his head, “and you know that, how? I thought you and Soojin hated each other and weren’t close.” 

 

Shuhua shrugged, “we’re not close. I just witnessed things that were probably meant to be private and personal. I met Lia at the bar a week ago.” 

 

Jeno hummed in understanding, “wait… girls? As in plural? Like more than one? More than one person she does hook ups with? Sheesh, how much game does that girl have…” 

 

Shuhua raised an eyebrow, “is that something to be bragging about? It doesn’t seem honorable to me.” 

 

Jeno clicked his tongue, “think like a guy, and maybe you’ll change your mind.” 

 

_

 

“Did Yuqi really tell you guys to come here and check up on me? Did she forget that I’m a twenty year old adult?” Shuhua crossed her arms, staring at the two who sat on her couch, making themselves at home. 

 

“Yuqi just wanted us to make sure you’re still alive while she’s been in Boston this past week.” Lucas grinned at Shuhua, lifting his feet and outstretching them to rest on the coffee table, hands clasped behind his head. Minnie, who sat next to him, slapped his legs with a warning look, “your shoes are dirty, Lucas. Have you no manners?” Lucas clicked his tongue, but placed his feet back on the floor, nonetheless. 

 

“It’s only been a day?” Shuhua pointed out. 

 

Lucas shrugged, “hey, I don’t know. If my girlfriend asks me to do something, I just do it. You know she’s very protective over you, what do you expect?” Minnie nodded in agreement, “ and I’m here to make sure that Lucas doesn’t persuade you into doing anything stupid.” 

 

Lucas gaped, “Yuqi asked you to? Wow, she has no faith in her own boyfriend? I am a responsible adult, who is very capable of—,” Minnie raised her eyebrows at the boy next to her, “Lucas, you literally do the dumbest things. Last week you and Chan thought it’d be a good idea to have a sword fight with kitchen utensils, and you guys ended up breaking one of Yuqi’s frames at her house.” Shuhua shook her head at the memory. 

 

“Hey, I replaced it! That’s what a responsible adult would do.” Lucas reasoned, confidence always splayed on his face.

 

 “Yuqi was mad at you the whole night.” Shuhua snickered, and Lucas gave her a sheepish look, rubbing his nape. 

 

“Exactly why I do whatever my girlfriend tells me to do.” Lucas stated, causing the two girls to roll their eyes, “you’re just a simp.” Shuhua teased. 

 

Lucas gave her a surprised look, “hey! Who taught you that word?” 

 

“....Jeno…” Shuhua mumbled. 

 

Lucas shook his head, “see? At least I don’t teach her stupid word trends like that.” He told Minnie, trying to make a point. 

 

“Please, we all know you’re a simp for Yuqi. And you taught her what the word “thot” meant, literally within an hour of meeting her.” Minnie rolled her eyes. 

 

“She heard someone say it at the bar and asked me what it meant? Was I not supposed to be honest and tell her what it meant?” Lucas questioned. 

 

Shuhua sighed, “might I remind you guys again, I am an adult. Twenty years old. Been alive for two decades now…” 

 

“Yuqi says you get scared when you’re sick and don’t want to be alone.” Minnie stated, and Shuhua furrowed her eyebrows. 

 

“But I’m not sick?” Shuhua pointed out.

 

Minnie blinked, pulling out a piece of paper that was in her pocket. “She also wrote down that you’re deathly allergic to strawberries… and that you don’t know how to cook, so to keep a fire hydrant ready for when you attempt to try and whip something up.” 

 

Shuhua gaped, snatching the piece of paper that Minnie was reading off of. “She went as far as making a list?! What is this? A babysitting gig?” 

 

Lucas snickered, “now that you say that… it kinda sounds like it.” 

 

Shuhua groaned, “Song Yuqi.” 

 

Minnie chuckled, “hey, we know how Yuqi is with you, so we didn’t question it. Try to understand where she’s coming from?” 

 

Shuhua frowned, “I do. But I’ve been alone my whole life, I can handle myself. She doesn’t need to go that far.” 

 

Lucas smiled comfortingly, “you’re not alone anymore, little Shu. You’ve got a bunch of big brothers and sisters around you now.” He extended his fist towards Shuhua, and the younger girl grinned, returning his fist bump. 

 

“Yeah..” Shuhua smiled at the two. 

 

“Well, seeing that you’re alive, we’ll get out of your hair. Call us if you need anything, we’ll come running.” Minnie got up to ruffle Shuhua’s hair, pulling Lucas with her. 

 

“Bye, little Shu.” Lucas tried to pinch Shuhua’s cheeks, but his hands were swatted away by the latter before he could attempt to. 

 

“Bye. Say hi to Miyeon for me.” Shuhua followed them to the door. 

 

“Yeah, I’ll do just that. Miyeon says she misses you and apologizes for not being able to hang out much. She’s been studying like crazy for her biology exam, and the stress is getting to her.” Minnie said, and Shuhua gave her a sympathetic look. 

 

“You are dating a future doctor.” Shuhua grinned at Minnie. 

 

Minnie chuckled, opening the door, and yelping in surprise after almost running into another body. 

 

“Oh, Jin! What are you doing here?” Minnie greeted, surprising the taller girl who still had her hand up in a knocking position. 

 

Shuhua blinked at Soojin, also surprised at her sudden appearance. “Yuqi asked me to come and whip something up for Shuhua. Says she’s scared Shuhua will burn her loft and all her neighbors down to the ground.” Soojin smirked, raising an eyebrow at Shuhua mockingly. 

 

Minnie chuckled, “Yuqi’s quite the big cousin, huh, Shu?” 

 

Shuhua rolled her eyes, “she’s too much.” 

 

“Have fun you two.” Lucas grinned, walking out the door and offering Soojin a fist bump before heading down the hallway. 

 

“Jin is a great cook, Shu. You’ll love anything she makes.” Minnie assured, before waving at the both of them and running after Lucas. Shuhua already knew that Soojin was a great cook after the first time the older girl had cooked for her, but no one needed to know that. 

 

Shuhua stood with her arms crossed, only staring at the older girl. “Are you gonna let me in, or not?” Soojin questioned, still unmoved from her spot in the hallway. 

 

“I guess…” Shuhua sighed, turning around to start walking to the kitchen. Soojin scoffed, rolling her eyes and letting herself in. 

 

“You’re quite the host.” Soojin sarcastically said, following after Shuhua. 

 

“You don’t have to be here, you know.” Shuhua muttered, resting her chin on her palm as she sat on the stool. Soojin shrugged, putting her bag on the stool next to Shuhua, rounding the kitchen island to stand in front of the younger girl. 

 

“Well, I am. Yuqi asked me to do her a favor, and I promised her that I would fulfill it.” Soojin said. 

 

Shuhua avoided her eyes, lowering her hands onto her lap, so Soojin wouldn’t see the way she nervously played with her fingers. “I—, w-well, I’m giving you an out. You can leave and go home to your family.” 

 

Soojin tilted her head, “Jae’s out with some friends, and Yoon is at a friend’s for a sleepover.” 

 

Shuhua sighed, “I’m just saying you don’t have to be here. I know you have better things to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter