In Too Deep

Meet Me Halfway
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“What are you doing here, stray girl?” 

 

When Soojin comes over to Wendy’s house like the usual Friday evening, she didn’t expect to walk into the kitchen to find her girlfriend surrounded by some of her family members. 

 

The apron that was hung around Shuhua’s neck, and tied around her waist got Soojin darting her eyes questioningly at everyone in the kitchen. 

 

“She’s cooking?” Soojin blinked, “are you guys trying to get my girlfriend’s fingers cut off?” She was immediately at Shuhua’s side, pushing the cutting board away from Shuhua and taking the knife from her grasp. “Absolutely not. I need these.” She cradles Shuhua’s hand with her own. 

 

Wendy melted into Irene, “Aw, Soojin called Taiwan her girlfriend.” 

 

“Yeah, she also made an innuendo that I did not appreciate.” Yeri grimaces. 

 

Shuhua chuckles, “baby, it’s okay. I asked Wendy to teach me how to cook.” 

 

“But you’re a safety hazard in the kitchen.” Soojin deadpans, “I can cook for you anytime you want, you know that right?” 

 

“You’re over exaggerating.” Shuhua scoffed, “I’m doing well so far. Right,  Wendy?” She beams at the older woman at the other side of the kitchen island. 

 

“So well.” Wendy grins. “Have faith in your girlfriend’s learning abilities, Jin.” 

 

Soojin still wears her frown, “well, then why didn’t you ask me to teach you how to cook?” 

 

Shuhua rolls her eyes, “because you over exaggerate and probably won’t end up letting me touch anything. And you’ve proven my exact point.” She pokes Soojin’s forehead with her pointer finger, pushing her away. 

 

When Soojin’s face is pushed away and meets Moonbyul’s cheeky grin, her soft pout disappears and is masked by her usual glare. 

 

Soojin sighs in defeat and sits next to Irene on one of the stools where everyone else had been watching Shuhua and Wendy like some cooking show. 

 

“What are you teaching her how to make?” Soojin asks Wendy, resting her chin on her palm. 

 

“She requested to learn your favorite dishes.” Wendy grins, washing the vegetables in the sink. 

 

Soojin’s eyebrows rise in surprise, and she meets Shuhua’s shy gaze for a split second, before the younger woman looks back down to the cutting board in an attempt to hide her blush. 

 

A series of “aw’s” were quietly whispered around them, and Soojin rolled her eyes at her guardians. 

 

“Be careful, stray girl.” Soojin softly warns, eyes focused on the way Shuhua cuts the vegetables on the cutting board. Soojin’s eyebrows are furrowed, and her teeth bite her fingers anxiously. 

 

Everyone could see just how lovestruck Soojin was as she watched Shuhua so focused and genuine about learning how to cook Soojin’s favorite foods. No one has ever done that for Soojin before, but of course, she’s never let anyone close enough to want to do that for her. 

 

But here Soojin was, watching her one and only girlfriend, probably the love of her life, show her affection for her. 

 

It was still hard for Soojin; allowing someone to love her this much. 

 

But god, this? This was easy. 

 

Loving Shuhua was easy. 

 

Shuhua looks up briefly, and catches Soojin looking at her with a small smile, eyes slightly glossy. Soojin softens even more, mouthing the words I love you just for Shuhua to see. 

 

I love you. 

 

_

 

Soojin lounges on the outdoor patio in the backyard of Wendy’s house, sipping on a cup of iced tea, as she watches Shuhua and her two siblings running around the grass with the three pups. 

 

“You’re doing a lot of watching.” Irene chuckles, coming to sit next to Soojin. 

 

Chuckling, Soojin only shrugs. “I’m just soaking it all in. This feeling.” 

 

Irene grins, “good feeling?” 

 

“The best feeling.” A content sigh leaves her lips. 

 

Pouting in awe, Irene pulls Soojin into a hug, resting their heads against each other as they both watch the kids play. 

 

“I’m so happy for you, Jin. I can’t say it enough.” 

 

Soojin bites her lip, “sometimes I feel like it’s too good to be true; that life is going this well for me.” Her eyes cast down to the ground. 

 

Irene sighs, placing a kiss onto Soojin’s forehead. “The universe knows you deserve to be the happiest after everything, Jin. I’m glad you found your person. In the span of time that you’ve known Shuhua, you’ve been glowing, and have grown in the best way possible.” 

 

Soojin smiles, “I’m happy.” She lets out a small giggle, pulling away to let Irene see her smile. “I haven’t said that in a while.” 

 

Irene mirrors her grin. “I’m happy that you’re happy.” 

 

And yet again, Soojin’s mother was right about someone’s happiness radiating and carrying on to the next person. 

 

Shuhua’s scream snaps her out of her trance, and Soojin’s eyes widen when she sees Shuhua running towards her as her two younger siblings chase after her with what seems to be a water balloon in Jae’s hand. 

 

“Jin, tell him to stop!” Shuhua squeals, hiding behind the chair that Soojin was sitting on. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter