This Feels Like Us

Meet Me Halfway
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Soojin blankly stares into thin air, tapping her foot, and teeth nibbling on her thumb in deep thought. Flowers? Candlelit dinner? That’s how they do it in Shuhua’s romance novels right? 

 

“Hello?” A hand waves in front of Soojin’s face, “earth to Soojin?” 

 

The glare Soojin throws to Karina is stern. The younger woman mindlessly sips on her daily banana milk, eyes widening at the intensity of her stare. “Geez, what thought did I interrupt?” 

 

“I’m trying to—,” Soojin pauses, groaning, “why am I telling you?” 

 

Karina blinks, “I thought we were on good terms now? Maybe even friends?” 

 

Soojin shrugs, “barely.” 

 

“Fine.” Karina crosses her arms, “I won’t help you come up with a way to ask Shuhua to be your girlfriend.” 

 

Soojin’s eyes widened, and she reached for Karina before the latter could walk away. “Wait!” 

 

Karina turns to her with a smirk, shaking her head. “You know, for the reputation you hold, I thought you’d be a natural at this.” 

 

“My reputation has nothing to do with romantic gestures.” Soojin matches Karina’s crossed arms, lifting a brow. 

 

The latter snorts, “what a player.” 

 

“I’ll knock your teeth out.” Soojin threatens with a glare. 

 

“Oh, sorry. I forgot you’re soft and smitten now.” 

 

“I’ll still knock your teeth out. Don’t call me soft.” Soojin deadpanned. “How do you even know about this?” 

 

“I figured. Shuhua has only been talking about this since forever ago. Good work, champ.” Karina’s sarcasm irked Soojin to her very core. 

 

“You make it really hard to like you.” Soojin grits. 

 

Karina rolls her eyes, “you want my help or not?” 

 

_

 

“Are you coming over tonight after your shift?” 

 

Soojin tries to balance a very clingy Shuhua on her back as she types back a reply to Wendy on her phone. After sending the text, Soojin quickly hands her phone behind her shoulder, where Shuhua takes it and pockets it into her own back pocket. 

 

“I can’t.” Soojin replies, hoisting Shuhua up, and fixing her posture. “I’m sorry, tell me why I have to carry you again?” 

 

Shuhua giggles, “because you love me?” She squeals, tightening her hold around the older woman’s shoulders, and peppering Soojin’s cheeks with kisses. 

 

Despite the blush Soojin tries to hide, she feigns a sigh of exhaustion. “Heavily rethinking my confessions.” 

 

A gasp leaves Shuhua’s lips, and she lands a punch on Soojin’s shoulder. “Take that back. Tell me you love me right now.” 

 

“I love a woman who can walk on their own two feet.” Soojin continues to tease Shuhua. 

 

Very much sulking, Shuhua pushes herself off of Soojin’s back with a pout. When the older woman turns around to face her with a grin, Shuhua walks around her with a huff, and arms crossed and reserved. Soojin chuckles to herself as she watches Shuhua stomp her way into Seulgi’s photography store. 

 

When Soojin enters, she finds Shuhua sitting behind the counter with Seulgi listening to what seems to be a rant of what Soojin had done to upset her. Rolling her eyes, Soojin lets it happen, going to clock in and set her things down in the lounge. 

 

“Did she say that?” Seulgi indulges in Shuhua’s rants, clicking her tongue and shaking her head in disappointment when Soojin appears again. 

 

“What’d you tell her this time?” Soojin sits on the stool next to Shuhua, poking her side playfully. The younger woman jolts, immediately smacking her hand away before another poke lands on her. 

 

“And yesterday, she left my house without kissing me goodbye.” 

 

“Stray girl, you were still asleep. How do you know I didn’t kiss you goodbye?” 

 

Shuhua lifts her hand up in front of Soojin, telling her that she wasn’t done with her rants. 

 

“Then today, she said she’s tired of spending time with me.” 

 

Soojin’s jaw drops when Seulgi gives her a stern look. “I said I can’t come over after my shift because I have a lot of homework!” 

 

“Same thing.” Shuhua pouts. 

 

Seulgi gives them a very amused smile, “this may come as a shock to you both, but I am not a couples therapist.” Her sarcasm makes Soojin throw her a look. 

 

“But you’re her guardian.” Shuhua points out, “scold her.” 

 

“That, I can do.” Seulgi walks behind Soojin, but instead of acting harshly, she bends and gives Soojin a tight hug. “Be nicer to Taiwan, will ya? She’s the only woman that can set you straight, as ironic as that sounds because you’re as straight as the rainbow road in Mario Kart, but I don’t want Shuhua gone any time soon.” 

 

Soojin scoffs. 

 

“Alright, I’m leaving.” Seulgi places a kiss on top of both their heads, “love you both! Don’t forget to lock up or I’ll kill you!” She reminds them as she heads out of the store. 

 

“You really told on me to my nicest guardian?” Soojin snorts, “if you wanted to get me into trouble, you should’ve gone to Irene.” 

 

Shuhua pouts, “why can’t you just do homework at my place tonight?” 

 

“That’s what this is? You’re sulking because I can’t come over?” 

 

Shuhua doesn’t hesitate to nod. 

 

“Why don’t you come over to my place? You can hang out with Jae and Yoon while I’m at work, and then I’ll come home to all three of my favorite people.” Soojin pulls Shuhua’s stool closer as the younger woman seems to be deep in thought. 

 

“That does sound like fun.” 

 

Soojin grins. 

 

“Also, holy , Seo Soojin. That was too soft and cute.” Shuhua giggles, pinching the older woman’s cheeks. 

 

Soojin grimaces and shakes Shuhua’s hands away from her now sore cheeks. 

 

“And by hanging out, I don’t mean spoiling them rotten with toys and whatever they ask from you.” Soojin firmly says, giving the younger woman a look. Shuhua looks guilty, but raises her hands in extreme defense. “What? They’re just so cute I can’t say no.” 

 

“Cute? Jae? He hates being called cute.” 

 

“You two are very similar.” Shuhua shakes her head, “but he literally gave me the pout and puppy dog eyes when we passed by the Nike store the other day.” 

 

“And you got him new soccer shoes?” Soojin scoffed, “I already talked to him about that. He’s taking advantage.” 

 

Shuhua frowns, “baby, they’re gifts. I like to give them things, it’s okay.” 

 

“I don’t want them to get used to asking for things from others like that and being spoiled.” Soojin responds, and when Shuhua starts to see the way the older woman’s eyebrows start to frown, she only nods her head and ends the conversation there. 

 

“Okay, okay.” Shuhua soothes her, “I won’t do it often. Maybe only on special occasions.” She pulls the older woman in for a hug, placing a kiss onto Soojin’s forehead. 

 

Shuhua had noticed that Soojin was very sensitive when it came to money. Especially when it was Shuhua who wanted to spoil her and her family. But, Shuhua understood. She knew Soojin’s background. Looked up to her a lot for it. 

 

“Thank you.” Soojin mumbles into her shoulder. 

 

Shuhua smiles against the crown of Soojin’s head. “Do you want to know what Jae said to me the other day?” She quips, and when Soojin pulls back with a raised brow, her grin widens. 

 

“He said I’m cooler than you.” 

 

Soojin blinks, “obviously, he was lying just to get new soccer shoes.” 

 

“I am cooler than you.” Shuhua crosses her arms, lifting her chin up with confidence. 

 

“I think I liked it better when he disliked you.” Soojin muttered, twirling her chair around. “Now you’re just taking all of their affection.” 

 

“Well, you picked a really good woman to love, Seo Soojin.” Shuhua pats the older woman on the back, twirling her chair back around so that they are face to face again. 

 

Soojin hums, leaning forward, and resting her hands at the side of the stool Shuhua was sitting on. “Seulgi says I’m not allowed to give you kisses while I’m clocked in.” She whispers, eyes already focused on grinning lips. “She says it’s not very professional of me.” 

 

“She’s right.” Shuhua whispers back, leaning closer, “but you don’t listen to her anyway.” 

 

“I don’t listen to anyone.” Soojin nudges Shuhua’s nose with her own, before closing the gap between their lips in a very deep, but chaste kiss. 

 

“Say you love me.” Shuhua demands lightly, pulling back slightly to smile, before kissing Soojin again. 

 

“I love you.” Soojin looks dazed as she gives her one last kiss, “I can’t believe I’m in love and committed to someone.” 

 

“I know. What a character development.” Shuhua giggles. 

 

Soojin rolls her eyes, “yeah, yeah. Just read your books while I do my job and develop films.” 

 

_

 

Karina shows the outline of the drawing she made of the romantic set up she had planned in her head. Winter sat to the side, watching the two dancers looking very intently at the piece of paper. 

 

“So there’s going to be flower petals leading up to the table…” Karina’s eyebrows furrowed in extreme focus, hands animating her words. 

 

Winter suppresses a smile, finding it extremely funny

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter