Chapter Five

Cinderella and the Treasure

THREE-POINTERS

Exactly around almost 12 am, you were leaving the campus. The girls offered to walked you back to your apartment but you declined it. You just feel like walking alone after all the hectic from earlier event. But the girls made you bring along a few cans of soft drink so that if anything happened, you can throw them and make a run for it.

You’re already at a park which is just a few blocks away from your complex. You look at the Han River view and inhaling the breeze.

You then heard a ball bouncing which made you turn to the basketball court near you. The court is quite dark with only one spotlight directed to the hoop. The person is playing alone, who based on his silhouette seems like a guy. He keeps shooting the ball and never missed a single goal. He even did a smooth three-pointer.

Suddenly he hit the post and the ball rolled to your feet. You backed away a little before picking up the ball. This stranger walks towards you and you’re not worried if he’s a bad person trying to do bad things to you because the park is still filled with people. You can just scream if he did try anything or just throw the cans drink.

“Sorry. My mistake.” he said and somehow you know who’s voice is it before you can even see his face clearly from the shadow.

Both of you got startled seeing each other. And you were right.

“What are you doing here?” Park Jihoon asked.

“Walking home.” You replied and give back his ball. He nodded, “Thank you. Did I hit you?” he asked looking down to your feet.

You shook your head, “No. I’m fine.” “Good.” He said while wiping his sweats. You can tell he must playing really hard because he’s playing with a white t-shirt and Adidas pants.

“Thirsty?” you offered while lifting the plastic bag with the can drinks.

You both are now sitting in the middle of the basketball court. Jihoon is already on his 2nd can.

You raised a brow at him. He noticed that and almost choke, “Sorry, I forgot to bring my own water.”

“Don’t worry about it.” You said while taking a sip of yours.

“So how long you’ve been playing? Your shirts looks like it can fill up these empty cans.” You jokingly said that made Jihoon chuckled.

“Umm 2 hours. Nonstop. I don’t remember.” He said while his hands leaning back.

You somehow can see that his expression seems indifferent. Like he just lost his loved ones.

“So you’re a baller?” you asked while looking at the Han River view.

“Yeah. Well, used to I mean.” He replied that made you look at him.

“I used to play for our university team. But I stopped a year back.” He continued. You nodded and said “I used to be good at shooting three-pointer.”

He look at you with an impress expression. “Wow really? Is that challenge? Because it sounds like a challenge? He asked with a playful tone.

At this point you don’t even know why you’re this comfortable with him. You don’t usually the type to initiate a conversation first but it’s different when you see him.

You shrugged, “No, I’m just saying that I can shoot a three-pointer 3 times in row.”

He clap his hands and stand up. “Okay let’s see it.” He picked up the ball while staring down at you.

You smiled and stand up too. “Okay, what’s the bet?” you asked.

He did a thinking first while rubbing his non-existed beard and said “The first to shoot a three-pointer 3 times, get’s to choose the discussion location.”

You scoffed, “AND….” Jihoon continued, “Pay for a meal. Deal?”

You nodded feeling a bit competitive somehow, “Okay you’re on.” He smiled and passed you the ball. “Ladies first.” That earned a side eyed from you.

He make space for you and you immediately shoot a clean three-pointer. He made a ‘not bad’ expression.

“That’s 1.” You said while he reached for the ball.

He tilt his head and bounce the ball a few times before aiming and shoot. “And that’s a tie.” He pointed at the hoop.

You shook your head at his cockiness while picking up the ball he threw and ready to shoot the second one. It was almost too easy. Not just for you but also for him as you both are now 2-2.

It’s your turn again and you shoot but it hit the post and bounce away that made Jihoon chased the ball quickly so it won’t go any further.

“Whoa what just happened? Did the three-pointer queen getting tired?” he definitely mocking you this time.

You put your hand on your waist and scoffed “Just take a shot.”

He chuckled and said “If this makes it, you’re paying the meal.”

“I know. Just shoot.” You jokingly get annoyed at his words.

And ofcourse, he cleanly make the goal. He cheered as he chased the ball and walk up to you.

“I’ll enjoy my meal. Thank you very much.” He said with a big smile on his face.

You just rolled your eyes and sit back down at the same place earlier. He followed after and you both took a sip of your drinks.

“You know what people say,” you started that made Jihoon looks at you. “Once a baller, always a baller.” You continued.

His big smile slowly faded so he just took a sip and said “Yeah but what's the use if you’re not playing for any team.”

You nodded slowly noticing his change of tone, you looked at him before saying “You stopped playing. Doesn’t mean you quitting.” You said while standing up.

He looks up at you after hearing your words.

“You decide the location for discussion tomorrow. See you later.” You said and left.

He watched you leave and keep thinking about what you just said. He smiled and stand up getting ready to get back to the dorm.