Chapter Three

Cinderella and the Treasure

FIRST ASSIGNMENT

You were heading towards your next class and stop when you walk passed a music room. You look inside and saw a music keyboard with guitars and mic. It must be where students book a practice room when they want to practice their musical talent. You always envy those people.

Seeing how the room was empty, you entered quietly and touched the keyboard. You smiled thinking about you haven’t play anything for years. You sit down and tried to remember few notes. You play a piece.

You suddenly remembered how much you love music.

As soon as you’re done, you heard someone at the door. Then the person came in. “Ohh sorry, I thought nobody’s in here.” The boy with a sling bag politely said.

You stand up and apologized “No, my fault. I wasn’t supposed to be here.” You bowed and headed towards the door.

“But it sounded like you belong here.” The boy said that made you look at him. He gives you a smile and you swear it was the most sincere smile you have ever seen.

That made you smiled back, “Thank you, Mr?”

That caught Yedam by surprised. Eversince he entered the 2nd semester, no one ever asked what his name is. Most of his lecturers know his name. Heck, even the cafeteria lady knows his name too.

But he gotta admit, if it wasn’t for Treasure conquering every club they got into, people would probably just look at them as normal students. Although, that’s not such a bad picture either.

He was surprised but he somehow relief too. “Just Yedam. Bang Yedam. No need for Mr. I’m still in my 3rd semester, sunbaenim.” He politely responded.

“How do you know I’m a senior? Do I look that old?” you jokingly asked him. He chuckled and waved his hands. “No no not at all. Some of my Treasure members is in the same class as you along with few other seniors, so yeah. I know you’re a senior.”

Honestly, you have no idea what Treasure he just said. You just thought it’s a club you’re not familiar with and avoid asking him that so you wouldn’t sound rude to a very polite junior.

You just nodded and said “Alright then. Thank you Yedam-ssi. Your compliments will be in my head for a long time.” You bowed and leave the room.

“No problem, Jasmine sunbaenim. Your piece will be in my head for a long time too.” Yedam said to himself. Feeling a bit regretful somehow and put his bag down before warming up his voice to practice.

 

That evening…

“So? Did you decided to move in the girl’s dormitory?” Yunhee asked you while all four of you at the campus open field. The view’s great since it’s facing a lake and some water related clubs always do something in the middle of the lake. Many students like to hang out there after class. Sometimes they do a mini picnic.

You were about to respond when suddenly Hayeon stood up from her reading and said “Ughh! I can’t stand Gyuri. I can’t believe she just did that in public.”

Hiyeon agreed, “I know right. I thought she’s matured enough to move on from that stupid prom thing.”

Yunhee hit the grass. “I almost throw my kimbab to her face when she said those things to Jasmine.”

“Yah, how can you be that calm when she said those things?” Hayeon asked you. “You should slap her at the very least. Prom Queen my .” Hayeon snickers.

You just chuckled at their words and somehow know if you can beaten one day, you know these girls will be there for you.

“She’s not worth it guys. Don’t waste our time.” You advice them while patting Hayeon’s back to calm her down.

Hiyeon spoke, “But she-“

“Okay!” You cut her off trying to change the subject. “So, what I was about to say is that I might actually considering moving to the girl’s dorm.”

“Really?! Just move in. We can be in the same floor atleast.” Hayeon said excitedly.

Hiyeon agreed, “Yeah, besides, we have 2 elevator each floor. Everyone will get to use it whenever we wanted to.”

You chuckled at Hiyeon’s words knowing she mocking the elevator issue at your place.

“I’ll ask my parents and let you guys know.” You replied.

“Yes!” “Great!” the girls cheered and enjoyed the view.

 

In History of Arts class...

“Okay guys. Like I mentioned earlier. For your first assignment, find a partner. I need a group of two members each. Not 3, not 4. But 2.” Professor Lee said that made some of the students sighing and panicking for those who don’t know with who to partner with.

You sigh too. You’ve done this assignment before. But last time, you partnered with Hiyeon. So it was easier. Now that you’re retaking this subject, you have no choice but to do a new one.

You know Professor Lee so well. He will not tolerate any excuses. Even if he understands your reason very well.

 He continued, “This class have 30 people. Should be enough for everyone to be in pair. Don’t come to me and explain why you should be in a group more than 2. Please don’t. I will ignore all of it. Period.”

The sighing in class becomes even louder. You scoffed and smiled, “Ofcourse you will.” Answering in your head to Professor Lee’s statement.

“Before leaving, please drop your name and your partner’s name in a piece of paper and put in this hat here.” He said lifting the hat he put on the table. “You are dismissed.”

You were putting your things inside your bag except a pen and piece of paper in your hand. You look around and knowing how most of them probably heard all the rumours about you, they probably tried their best avoiding you.

You just wait until everyone leaves, so that when that one person have no partner, you’ll gladly be their partner whether they like it or not.

“So what happened to us?” Jihoon asked while packing his stuff.

Hyunsuk and Junkyu look at each other worriedly. Jihoon noticed it and make a weird face, “Wait, you guys leaving me? I thought we’re gonna do a Rock, Paper, Scissors at the very least?!”

“Well, it’s just that our room is next to each other and it’s more convenient for us somehow.” Junkyu explained clearly nervous.

Jihoon raised his brow in disbelief  “Dude, we’re roommates?” he asked Junkyu.

“I know, it’s just that-“ Junkyu was cut off by Hyunsuk, “Jihoon-ah, come on. We paired with you so many times. I think it’s time you try to be friends with other people.” Hyunsuk advice nicely.

Jihoon scoffed, “But I’m not good at talking with other people.” He whispered.

Junkyu pat his back and said “Well, that’s life. Goodluck!” Junkyu pulled Hyunsuk with him and they quickly run towards Professor Lee immediately putting their names in the hat.

“Yaah! You guys planned this didn’t you?!” He yelled while Hyunsuk and Junkyu ran off.

He ruffled his hair and head towards Professor Lee trying to make up words about not having a partner. “Oh this is nerve racking.” He thought while looking at Professor Lee reading each of the names from the hat.

“Hi Jihoon!” one familiar girl suddenly appeared in front of him with 2 of her friends seems like cheering for her while one girl looking quite upset.

Jihoon lift up his hand awkwardly “Oh hi.”

“Well, you see, I have no partner. And you looks like you could use one too.” The girl said while playing with her blouse laces.

Jihoon make a confuse face and said “But there’s four of you. Shouldn’t there be enough?”

The upset looking girl was about to say something when the other two close .

“We’ve been partnered so many times. I just think I need a breath of fresh air, don’t you think?” she said while keep blinking her fake eyelashes and a high expectation expression.

“No way in hell I’m gonna partnered with this stalker freak.” He thought remembering how he had bad memories of her. “How the fck she still smiling like nothing happened?” he felt disgusted by her thick face.

He was about to say something when the professor said “Park Jasmine, I only see one name here?”

Jihoon turned and saw you were heading towards the door when the professor called you. He looks at the paper in the professor’s hand and there’s only one name. He looks at you.

“Yeah, I don’t know who doesn’t have a partner yet. You can just fill it yourself with whoever that’s left later.” You said to Professor Lee.

Professor Lee was about to ask the upset looking girl when Jihoon comes forward and raised his hand. “ME! ME! I’m available!” he almost yelled.

Everyone looks at him, startled by his action. He smiled and took the paper from the Professor’s hand and write his name below yours. “Here. All settled.” he hand in the paper back to the professor.

“But I thought we-“  the girl with the fake eyelashes was about to hold Jihoon arm when he move away and grab your bag. You look at your bag and Jihoon weirdly.

“It’s settled, right professor?” Jihoon asked while smiling like asking for help. Professor Lee finally got it and said “Oh! Oh. Yes yes. You’re cleared. Now, the two of you can be partner.” He said pointing to the upset girl who is now happily grabbing the fake eyelashes girl arms tightly.

“Great thank you prof!” Jihoon said and leave the class hurrily while also leaving the fake eyelashes girl in disbelief plus upset.

In the hallway, “Umm excuse me?” you said which made Jihoon stop walking.

“Yeah?” Jihoon looks at you. You point to your bag which he’s still grabbing. He looks at it and remove his hand “Oh right! Sorry. Thank you. I mean, yeah thank you.” Jihoon talked rather fast. He does that when he’s nervous.

“Thank you for what?” you asked. “For, uhh, for letting me be your partner.” Jihoon answered but still breathing quite fast.

You stared at him while trying to read his actions. You then said “Breathe. Slowly.”

Jihoon got confused but he breathe slowly unconsciously following your orders.

“Close your eyes. Untangled your fingers. Breathe.” You continued.

Jihoon did exactly what you told him too.

You can see him finally relax. He opened his eyes and made eye contact with you.

“Better?” you asked. He nodded, “Wow. Yeah much better.”

You smiled and shook your head at his action, “Interesting guy.” You thought.

“So, our assignment.” You started, he nodded.

“I have a sample we can follow. We’ll pick the topics later. Sounds okay?” you asked.

He nodded again, “Yeah, sounds great. Where should we have our first discussion? I’m fine anywhere.”

“Umm then-“ you were about to suggest a place when he cuts you off, “Wait, not anywhere. I mean anywhere where’s there not many people. If you’re okay with it that is.” He carefully said so you won’t feel uncomfortable.

You unknowingly let out a smile which caught Jihoon by surprised. “How about you gave me your number or vice versa so we can discuss before going there. Would that be okay?” this time you asked him carefully so he won’t think you’re one of those flirty girls that keeps coming to him.

Yeah, you do noticed girls keeps coming up to him. You don’t actually know much about him, or his friends that somehow attract people wherever they go. But you don’t remember all of their faces since they are so many of them.

“That’s better.” He agreed and take out his phone to give to you. You dialled your number and leave a miscall.

You don’t even bother taking out your phone and just gave back his.

“Umm sorry, your name?” Jihoon asked.

“Jasmine. Park Jasmine.” You replied. That somehow brings back memories to Jihoon. He suddenly recalled the whole cafeteria thing that happened.

“Umm hello?” you said waving your hand infront of him that made Jihoon trailed off from his thought.

“Huh? What?” he asked confused. “I was asking what to save your name as in my contact.” You replied.

“Ohh right sorry.” He apologize, “You can save it as Ji-“

“Yaah Park Jihoon! What took you so long?” Junkyu yelled from the other side of the hallway.

“Coming!” Jihoon yelled and turned his attention back to you only to be greeted with your back walking away.

“It’s Jihoon!” he said loudly even though he’s confuse why you suddenly left.

You turned and said “I heard the first time.” While pointing towards his contact name in your phone.

“Let me know the location later.” You said while still walking away and bowed slightly before completely turn heading your way.

Jihoon was speechless somehow. He looks at the number and immediately save it as

Jasmine.

“Like the flower.” He thought and let out a small smile.

He watched you walked away and quickly ran towards Junkyu and Hyunsuk who’s been waiting for quite some time.

“What was that about?” Hyunsuk asked as soon as Jihoon arrived.

“What?” Jihoon asked back.

“Why are you talking with her?” Junkyu made a weird face.

“Thanks to you guys, she’s my partner for this assignment.” Jihoon said that made both of them too stunned to continue walking.

Jihoon was babbling about being hungry when he realized no ones beside him. He turned and look at both of them weirdly.

“What are you guys doing? Let’s go. I’m hungry.” Jihoon said and continue walking.

Hyunsuk and Junkyu looked at each other and both of them quickly catch up with Jihoon asking him bunch of questions.

Jihoon ignored them and closed his ears “LALALALALALALA!”

 

At one of the campus diner…

Junkyu chew on his last piece and said “So, technically, she saved your from being partner with the creepy eye blinking girl?”

Jihoon nodded “Yup.”

“The eye blinking girl is the same girl who stalked you in the boys changing room last semester right?” Hyunsuk asked.

“Yup.” Jihoon answered while putting another fries in his mouth.

Hyunsuk and Junkyu nodded.

“So why we’re not reporting this girl yet?” Junkyu asked confused. “I don’t get the point of you avoiding her if she’s just gonna randomly show up wherever you go.”

“I did report her.” Jihoon calmly said.

“You did?” both of them said in unison.

“When?” Hyunsuk asked confused as to why does he not know his best friend went to the administration to report about a stalker.

Jihoon take a sip of his cola and said “I did it the next day after she appeared outside the changing room.”

“And? The fck is she still near you?” Junkyu frowned.

“Do you think this is the same as getting a restraining order? Well hate to break it to you, it’s not.” Jihoon sigh.

“Then what happened?” Hyunsuk take a sip of his coffee.

Jihoon leaned on his chair, “The girl defended herself. Saying she was just waiting for me because we went to the same classes. And that she have no intention of making it look “ creepy. She didn’t even took any pictures.” He was about to take a sip but he stopped, “Let’s hope she tells that last one the truth.” Jihoon finally took a sip of his cola.

“The board just let her off with a warning and that if I make another report, she might get suspended for one semester. She’s not allowed to stay close to me without any reason. If for assignment purpose, it’s allowed. Apparently. That’s why she’s been up in my this semester.” Jihoon let out a sigh.

Both Hyunsuk and Junkyu can’t believe they’re hearing that bull.

“What kind of hole is that?” someone suddenly said taking a seat at the empty chair. It was Yoshi.

Jihoon just shrugged. “I don’t know man. As long as she doesn’t suddenly appear in my shower. I’m letting the other things go.”

The three of them shook their head. “You’re too nice dude. Who the fck cares if she gets suspended? She waited for 2 hours infront of the changing room. Boys. Changing room.” Hyunsuk emphasise his words clearly.

“Even a girlfriend won’t do that. That’s just mad stalking man.” Junkyu shaking his body feeling goosebumps all over.

“It’s better to have a girlfriend than a stalker.” Yoshi said taking a sip of Junkyu’s drink.

They all agreed.

“Where’s Asahi?” Hyunsuk asked.

“He went back to the dorm. Art of Language is a killer man. Why the hell did we think a foreigner can pull this off.” Yoshi frustratedly ruffled his hair.

Jihoon scoffed, “Two foreigners taking a subject that includes few other foreign languages? Nothing deadly about that.” Jihoon sarcasmly said.

“Why didn’t just drop the subject?” Junkyu suggested.

“We probably will. We’re just thinking of other subjects to replace with.” Yoshi sigh.

Hyunsuk just patted his back and they all headed to their dorms soon after.