Still (8)

Grasping at straws
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She knew that this was probably not a good idea. 


Yeji had Lia pressed up against the door, tongue down - with seven minutes before they had to be on standby, and unfortunately her position as leader made it so that being present was necessary, but there was something so addicting about making out in dressing room number 4.

It was the room furthest from the studio entrance, the doors were fashioned with a double lock and was officially, Yeji’s new favourite place to be with Lia.

“How much time do we have left?” Lia broke away, but kept Yeji flushed against her. Yeji peppered kisses down her neck and grinned when Lia tilted her head for better access.

“No time,” Yeji answered between kisses glancing at the clock on the wall behind the pair, it loomed over the room and Yeji had a string of cusses lined up for the offending object that seemed to move unfairly fast. She unwillingly peeled herself off Lia, and straightened her shirt.

“How do I look?” Yeji raised an eyebrow when Lia closed her eyes and scratched her head as if deep in thought.

 

“Hwang Yeji, you look pretty enough to kiss.”

 

“Ah, it,” fingers trailed the sides of Lia’s collar and pulled her into another lip lock.

 

A few more minutes in dressing room number 4 wouldn’t hurt anyone.

 

 

---

 

 

The camera crew and production team moved in practiced synchronization across the studio floor. The loud steps and chatter that filled the room did little to drown out Ryujin’s thoughts. She straightened her posture, almost automatically when the volume died down, the sound of camera equipment clicking into place sets off the bounce in her knees.

 

I can do this.

 

She feels fingers brushing her own, before her hand is pulled into a comforting squeeze. She looks up and meets Yuna’s warm, brown eyes staring back at her, crinkling into upturned little half moon smiles. Ryujin’s heart swells at the gesture.

 

She has no idea why, and yet, she’s trying to comfort me.

 

“It’ll be okay.” Yuna flashes a small smile and Ryujin can see her bucked, bunny tooth smile and for a second she forgets why she is nervous in the first place.

“Thanks.” Ryujin squeezes her hand back before letting go. She is thankful Yuna doesn’t ask any questions.

 

45 minutes, tops, this’ll be fine.

 

Ryujin’s eyes flit to the door and her breath gets caught somewhere in .

 

Not fine, not fine, not fine at all.

 

A blurb of bouncy brown hair waltzes into the studio, a few inches longer than she last remembered, curls swishing with movement. Enthusiasm paints her voice with every word- that hasn’t changed. She greets the camera crew with smiles that reach her cheeks and when her eyes land on Ryujin, she breaks out into a grin.

Like a programmed response Ryujin smiles back, with the best she can muster up. It doesn’t feel genuine, but at least she’s trying.

 

 The name that sits on the tip of her tongue crawls its way back into her stomach, unsaid, and sets her chest aflame.

 

Somi.

 

“Hi Ryujin.” She looks up at the call of her name, momentarily lost, but when she catches herself, she offers a little bow.

 

“Hi.” Ryujin says meekly and this uncomfortable exchange doesn’t feel nearly enough.

 

“Hi Somi, long time no see, you look great!” Yeji breaks in, Yeji doesn’t allow for awkward silence, just like a leader is expected to do. Polite bows are exchanged and the rest of Itzy follow suit.

 

“Thank you, unnie. You all look great too. Sorry, this is a last minute switch, the host couldn’t make it today, but so long as we generally stick to the script things will run smoothly. Fighting!” The positive energy and confidence that exudes off Somi seems to bring Chaeryeong ease because her shoulders loosen up and slump slightly.

 

“Thanks, Somi.” Yeji nods in her direction and retreats back to her spot next to Lia and Ryujin. Ryujin adjusts the microphone attached to her clothing like she always does before interviews, clears and looks up mentally counting the cameras in sight.

Lia spares a glance at the rest of the girls, but then lingers on Ryujin, who is staring into the distance.

Confused, she follows Ryujin’s line of sight, and realizes who she’s staring at.

 

“Hey, Love,” Lia leans closer to Yeji so she’s within earshot. “I have a few questions.”

 

“I promise I’ll tell you about their history after the interview,” Yeji whispers, clasping her fingers behind her back, it doesn’t go unnoticed. Lia sighs and pinches the bridge of her nose at the mess she’s somehow stumbled across. She doesn’t dare look back at Yuna.

 

“Lock it up!” Someone in the crew calls. “Sound speed.”

 

“Sound speed!” The audio team confirms back with an echo.

 

“Rolling.”

 

--

When the interview is over Ryujin tries to make her retreat as smooth as possible by mingling for a few minutes before letting the rest of ITZY know she’s going to the washroom. Yeji and Chaeryeong nod her off, Lia shoots her a co

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter