Propinquity (4)

Grasping at straws
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“What do you think about Yeji and Lia unnie?” Yuna asked swinging their newly purchased snacks in one hand as she walked. Ryujin struggled to keep up with Yuna’s pace, but still managed to give Yuna a baffled look. She wasn’t expecting Yuna to have picked up on Yeji and Lia’s budding relationship, much less ask about it.

She knew about what was going on between the unnies?

Ryujin wrapped her arm around Yuna’s in an attempt to slow her down. Yuna stiffened under her touch and Ryujin bit back a sigh at the uneasiness radiating off Yuna but neither of them mentioned it.

“Walk slower- I swear- tall people and their long legs.” Ryujin groaned. Yuna chuckled and much to Ryujin’s surprise slowed her pace slightly. “I think.. Yeji and Lia are in the process of figuring out what to do with their feelings.” Ryujin answered careful not to reveal more than necessary. Yuna nodded her head and absentmindedly kicked a bottlecap off the sidewalk.

“I saw them flirting the other day and thought they might have been together. Do you think it’d be okay if they dated? They’re both idols, not to mention girls. This industry isn’t very nice to us.” Yuna reflected wryly with her eyes trained ahead of her. There it was. Yuna’s surprisingly deep thoughts popping out of nowhere. Yuna always had this side to her. Asking questions that treaded too close to waters that people were generally avoidant of. In all honestly, it was endearing, and it was at times like these Ryujin wondered more and more about the captivating enigma that was Shin Yuna.

“Well.. It would be easier if people didn’t like each other. Don’t you agree?” Yuna nodded silently reluctant to interrupt Ryujin. “But people don’t work like that. We’re a lot more complex. Sometimes we like others for reasons we can’t even explain, but idols, girls, whatever. We’re people, first and foremost. We are built to be complicated.” Ryujin let out a sigh and rubbed the side of her head with her free hand. “As for Lia and Yeji, they can do whatever they want. I trust them to make their own choices.” Yuna bit her lip debating whether to ask the question that had been burning on the tip of her tongue for a while now.

“Have you ever been in love, Ryujin?” Yuna’s voice was so quiet Ryujin almost missed it. Ryujin blinked, caught off guard by the question.

“Uh, Yes. I guess I have.” Ryujin cracked a smile the thoughts of trainee days filling her mind where she let her feelings die unrequited. Yuna didn’t respond to Ryujin’s words instead she hummed in expectancy. “What about you, Shinnayu?” Ryujin teased. Yuna scoffed at the nickname.

“Ah.. well..” Yuna drawled and Ryujin stopped in her tracks, a few feet outside their dorm. She felt her heart sink, but brushed it off.

Yuna? In love? Since when?

“Who?” Ryujin asked curiously. Heat creeped up Yuna’s cheeks and she glanced nervously at Ryujin.

“W-well I’m not sure if I’d consider it love.” Yuna mentally cursed herself for stuttering. The wind nipped at the pair standing outside and Yuna let out a visible shiver. Ryujin set her thoughts aside and quickly shoved her hands in her pockets and d around for keys she was met with empty pockets and formed into a small ‘o’.

“You don’t happen to have keys on you?” Ryujin asked hopefully. Yuna shook her head and Ryujin whipped her phone out and dialled Yeji who, promptly forwarded her to voicemail. Ryujin bit her tongue in a poor attempt to stop the string of curses ready to fly out of .

“Could you call Lia? I’ll give Chaeryeong a call. I’m sure someone’s home to open up the door.”

Ryujin and Yuna were currently plopped on the stairs in front of the building. Ryujin had left three angry voicemails on Yeji’s phone and called quits when neither Chaeryeong or Lia picked up or responded to either of their texts.

“Are you okay? Sorry I should’ve double checked if I had the keys.” Ryujin apologized.

“No, I forgot them too.” Yuna chuckled and Ryujin’s eyes fixated on the goosebumps that were apparent on Yuna’s half bare legs. Ryujin pulled off her hoodie in one swift motion and gingerly placed it over Yuna’s legs s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter