Olfaction 9

Angels Creek

 

It’s Art Class and Seulgi holds her paintbrush, staring at her unfinished painting but her mind is floating somewhere else. Eddie Shipman, the art teacher, gives them some advice and on how to paint. Seulgi blinks and looks left and right, observing at other students’ paintings but nothing registers in her mind. She her paintbrush without giving enough thought to her art. She’s just at a loss from yesterday’s visit from the doctor when she and Eleonor went to the hospital to see an otolaryngologist, a doctor who specializes in diseases of the ear, nose, throat, head, and neck. She was asked if she still has sinusitis which was surprising that she just realized that it stopped for a while now, and she only experienced a runny nose when she smelled strong fragrances. When the doctor conducted a test, he said her senses were normal; but Seulgi said otherwise. So, the doctor gave her another treatment for her Phantosmia, hoping it would help ease the odors that she kept sensing even though they weren’t there. Whenever her father was at home she became nauseous of his pungent smell. On the other hand, Eleonor emitted a fragrant smell that was pleasing to her nose. It was hard for her not to be with her father, dinner time was the only time they could see and talk with each other, so she tried her best to eat dinner with them. Most of the time, she goes to her room to draw. She wants to go back to painting on canvas but her mother's studio room is locked. She asked Eleonor last time, she was told that she never went to her mother’s studio room because there wasn't a key for it. Seulgi has to ask her father to open the room then. She's sure her father has the key.

“Oh my gosh, are those t*ddies? Are you painting t*ddies?”

“W-what?” Seulgi snaps out from her thoughts as she blinks and looks at her painting to be sure. She gives the girl a quizzical look.

Her painting doesn’t look like t*ddies.

“Damn, those are t*ddies,” The Asian girl who has long blonde hair, wearing a black leather jacket and tight blue jeans keeps insisting that she’s painting t*ddies on her canvass.

“No! They’re not…” Seulgi pauses and lowers her voice. “They are not, s,” She checks her surroundings if someone heard her.

The Asian girl laughs, she hasn’t seen a girl who is as cute as Seulgi. She thinks saying is too formal. “Why get embarrassed?”

“I just don’t say those words randomly,” Seulgi checks her painting again. “And no, it doesn’t look like… s,” She scorns; she knows they aren’t t*ddies, her painting just looks randomly weird. She just hasn’t thought of what to paint yet because her thoughts were clouded. She looks at the Asian girl’s painting. She squints her eyes, trying to analyze the images. It’s not finished yet but the painting somehow shows a sky, clouds, and a kind of something-pink-object that she couldn’t understand what it was. She observes the girl who’s applying more pink color to the pink painting. “What are you painting?” She curiously asks.

“Can’t you tell?” The girl pauses, rubbing her chin. “Hmmm… Maybe, I haven’t put the outline, or maybe I should put a black color to emphasize?” She looks at Seulgi for an opinion, but the latter shrugs, she doesn’t know what it is; not at all. “This is a painting of a p*ssy,” She says casually, looking at Seulgi to get her candid expression.

“A what?” Seulgi is confused as she looks at the painting closer.

“I call this painting, P*ssy is God,” The girl spreads her hands to gesture its brilliance, well, that’s what she thinks.

Seulgi wouldn’t have figured it out if the girl didn’t tell her what it was. “Are we allowed to paint something like that?” She scorns.

The girl put her hands down. “Why not? Anything that inspires you is art, also, I was inspired by King Princess’s song.”

“O-kay…” Seulgi purses her lips. She’s not sure what to reply to that.

“Ah right, I don’t wanna be rude,” She puts her paintbrush in the brush tub and forwards her hand for a handshake. “Giselle,” She smiles.

“Seulgi,” She reaches her hand.

“Seulgi, it's my first time seeing your face around, are you a transferee?”

“Yeah, I transferred a week ago.”

“Have you made any friends in your first week?"

Seulgi purses her lips, looking at her art, she has a friend, Irene, or at least she thought she's still her friend but Irene is still avoiding her like a plague. “I know someone...”

“Oh, you do? Is that person in our class?”

“No, she's not.”

“Perhaps I know the person?”

Seulgi is skeptical that she would know. “How so? There's a lot of students enrolled here,” She doubts Giselle, thinking whether she's just bluffing.

“Trust me, I know a lot of people,” Giselle raises her brows in confidence. Although she doesn't know all of the students, still, she knows who are the popular ones, the peculiar ones, and the people who caught her attention. Somehow, Seulgi caught her attention. She talked to her first because she found her cute, she was hoping that Seulgi is gay like her. But she couldn't feel her gay vibes yet. She thought if she talks to her she might know more about her.

On the other hand, Seulgi thought maybe there's a chance if she would say the name, Giselle might know about the person. “Maybe you know…” She pauses before saying her name. “Irene?” It feels like she shouldn't have asked about her. There's no way Giselle would know about Irene, she thought, Irene wouldn't be known by everyone since she's a quiet person and doesn't make a lot of friends.

“Oh! I think know who you're talking about,” Giselle drum rolls using the paintbrushes, she drums them on the wood easel. “The Korean chic, Irene Bae Atwood,” She points the paintbrush at her.

Seulgi's eyes widened in surprise. “You know her?”

“I know her? She’s my ex-girlfriend.”

“Huh?!” Seulgi is surprised.

Giselle laughs at Seulgi’s reaction and takes back what she said. “I’m kidding, hahaha! You should have seen your face,” She chortles, looking at the dismayed face of Seulgi. “I'm friends with her since we were lab partners in Science class in the first year. She's a quiet person isn't she?"

For a second Seulgi really thought Giselle was dating Irene. It really surprised her but hearing about Irene, somehow, she’s glad that Irene made a friend. She wants to ask more about Irene but at the same time, she thinks she shouldn't pry about Irene. She thinks it’s her fault for not knowing how Irene is doing all these years. If she had just replied to her letters and asked for her number, then, this would never have happened between them. “Yes… She is...” She answers.

“How did you meet her?”

“We were friends back in grade school,” Seulgi forces a weak smile when she tells her about Irene.

“Oooh, childhood friends,” Giselle grins as she’s glad to know this information about Irene. Irene never told her about a childhood friend, she thinks it’s interesting to play a role between the two. She wants to be the bridge between them. An idea just popped up on her mind. She snaps her fingers. “Ah! How about you come to the party this Friday.”

“I'm not sure about that,” Seulgi scratches her head.

“Why not? I think it's a good opportunity to know some people at school. I think it'll be fun.”

“It's just… I'm not invited.”

"Psshh, nonsense! Everyone is invited.”

“By the way, whose party is it?” Seulgi asks.

“Asian James,” Giselle replies.

“Eishan James?” Seulgi wonders how the person looks based on the name. It’s her first time hearing a unique name as Eishan James. She’s not even sure if Eishan is a male or a female name.

“Yup, the one and only person I know,” Giselle pulls out her smartphone from her pocket. “Give me your number, so I can message you the location.”

“I don't have a phone.”

“WHAT?!”

Everyone looks at them, even Seulgi, herself, was startled by Giselle's voice. “Miss Uchinaga, do you need assistance?” Their Art teacher asks.

“No, Mr. Shipman. I'm good,” She flashes him the most convincing smile.

“Okay, if you say so,” He proceeds to look at the other student's painting and gives the student advice on which color palette to use.

“Seriously, you don't have a phone? Are you grounded?”

“No, I'm not. I just didn't ask one after the accident,” Seulgi feels she'd be telling her story about the accident again.

“Oh, I'm sorry to hear that.”

But she was surprised when Giselle didn't pry about it. Instead, Giselle asks her for her address, so she can pick her up and go to the party together. Seulgi says she has to ask permission first and she will just tell her by tomorrow if she’s allowed to go to the party. After that conversation, they continue their paintings and talk about some random stuff. Seulgi would occasionally glance at Giselle's artwork and laughs mentally.

How crazy can Giselle be? She thought.

She's just glad that she has found a new friend that she could talk to.

Seulgi looks at the corkboard on her right and sees the missing person poster. She realizes she sees a lot of them at school and on the streets. She doesn’t know how many weeks have been since the person was missing. Whoever that person is, she just hopes that she returns home safe and sound.