Olfaction 3

Angels Creek

The next day, Eleonor, Elena, and Seulgi go to Archangel Raguel High School. Eleonor talks to the principal so they could arrange Seulgi’s missed classes from the previous school year and late enrollment for this semester, so she can catch up with her batchmates. Since she has good credentials at her former school and the mishap was enough reason for her missed school attendance. The principal gives her extra credits for the remaining subject she missed and gives her a weekly test for two months to compensate for it. Eleonor looks at Seulgi whether she can do it. It’s tough for Seulgi, it’s either she will repeat a year or take the extra credits; it’s a challenge for her. After talking to the principal, Eleonor talks with the school’s secretary about the school requirements. Seulgi is sitting outside, looking out for Elena.

“Why Ddeulgi mask?” Elena asks as she hugs Seulgi.

It wasn’t difficult for the two to get along. Seulgi thought maybe Elena is young, so she doesn’t have ill feelings towards her. But what if Elena is a teenager, will she bear dislike towards her for coming back to his father’s house? “I smell something stinky,” Seulgi replies, adjusting her mask properly.

Elena sniffs the place to be sure. “School not stinky,” She sniffs again like a cute pup. “Nope. Not stinky,” Her adorable answer made Seulgi chortle.

It isn’t about the smell of the school Seulgi was talking about something else. Seulgi pulls down her mask and sniffs, “Yeah, you’re right. The school isn’t stinky.” Elena claps her hands, she felt the satisfaction of being correct because she was right and Seulgi was wrong.

The posters on the walls caught Seulgi’s attention. She stands up, carrying Elena; she looks at one poster and reads the information.

 

MISSING

Have you seen this person?

JOY PARK

17 years old, Korean, fair skin, long chestnut-colored hair, skinny, 167cm (5’6 feet). If you have seen this girl or know of her whereabouts, please contact us. If you have any information whatsoever, please contact Angels Creek Police Department on this number: +1 801-851-4000

 

She looks at the picture and finds her pretty. She might be popular based on her looks. She wonders what happened to her or where she has been. The girl in the picture is the same age as her. She thought they might have been classmates. The realization has kicked in, how her parents would be so worried; Seulgi feels sympathy. Elena sees the sadness on Seulgi’s face. “Why Ddeulgi sad?” She asks curiously.

“I feel sad for her and her family.”

“Why?”

“She has gone missing.”

“Missing?”

“Missing means lost, not being able to return home to her family.”

“Where is she?”

“I don’t know, Elena. But I hope she will be found soon. For sure, someone out there might know something about her whereabouts.”

When the bell rang, the students came out of their classrooms to go to the next class. The hallway has become crowded with students, they walk away to go back to the school’s secretary’s office where Eleonor is. Seulgi puts her mask back on.

After enrollment Eleonor tells Seulgi that she can start her first day of school by tomorrow. Seulgi isn’t enthusiastic about the news. To be honest, she isn’t ready but she had to catch up to the lessons as soon as possible. Eleonor wants to go to the office depot to go shopping for Seulgi’s school supplies, so Eleoner drives them there. Seulgi is embarrassed by Eleonor's kindness; she wasn’t expecting her to attend to her needs as she isn't Eleonor’s responsibility. She wonders if Eleonor is just bound by her father’s request since he’s away from work and no one will do it except for her. “Pick anything you like,” Eleonor tells Seulgi, which made the latter surprise; it’s written all over her face. “Oh my, silly you. Of course, you can,” Eleonor laughs softly. She grabs a shopping cart and puts Elena inside it. She helps Seulgi with her list of school supplies. Seulgi might not realize it but if anyone knows her, they’ll probably laugh at her. She’s old enough to buy herself school supplies without an adult’s help. She might be in doubt of Eleonor’s sincerity but the woman likes her genuinely. Eleonor isn’t the kind of person who would hate children from their spouse’s previous relationship; it’s just not in her nature. She could see Seulgi is a kindhearted person by the moment how Elena runs towards her without reluctance. She trusts her daughter’s verdict. Elena has never approached strangers before but when she saw Seulgi for the first time, they just connected in a snap.

Seulgi is checking aisle by aisle for some art materials, she needs them for her pastime. She is canvassing for the price of the fountain pen. When she looked at the price tag, it was too expensive. She can’t afford it and she doesn’t want to ask Eleonor if she can get it even though it’s her father’s money. She wants to ask first before buying it. She puts the fountain pen back, thinking, it’s not the priority. She thought she’ll just come back when she has the money for it. After shopping for school supplies, Eleonor suggests having lunch somewhere, so she asks Seulgi if she’s okay with pasta. Seulgi tells her she’s okay with it. So she drives them to a popular Italian restaurant in the town. As Seulgi recalls there weren’t many restaurants and shops five years ago. It’s nice to see how Angels Creek has progressed through the years.

When they arrive at the restaurant there are many people inside, it was expected since it’s time for lunch. Luckily they don’t have to wait in line, there is a couple who has just finished eating and paid for the bill. The table available is good for two, and the other people in the queue are families of four-to-five members. A table for two is enough for them since Elena can sit in a toddler’s feeding chair. When they sit down they look at the menu and after they have decided what to order, Eleonor calls the waiter to order.

After Eleonor is done ordering, she plays with Elena by making faces and slightly pinching her cheeks. “Ddeulgi,” Elena says. Her attention is on Seulgi who’s looking at them. Eleonor looks at Seulgi, she wonders why Seulgi always wears a mask.

“Seulgi, do you get sick often?”

Seulgi wonders why Eleonor asked, but then she realizes she kept wearing the mask on; she takes it off and says, “Oh, I suffered from Phantosmia.” Eleonor tilts her head; she doesn’t know what Phantosmia means. And judging by her expression, Seulgi can tell she’s confused. “It’s a disorder in which I smell something that isn’t there.”

“Oh my, that must have been tough for you. Have you had it since birth?”

“No, I had it after the accident. I take my medication but my sinusitis keeps coming back, and occasionally I smell something spoiled, burnt, chemicals, and even putrid smell. But they aren’t there,” Seulgi purses her lips, looking at her mask; she remembers when she first encountered a smell was from a patient’s relative. Every time the relative visited the hospital, he smelled something burning. Seulgi asked the other patients and nurses if they also smelled it, but they couldn’t. Every week when she saw the patient’s relative, his smell got stronger, and she would ask the nurses if they could also smell the odor, which they couldn’t. So, she decided to have an appointment with an otolaryngologist. She was diagnosed to have Phantosmia that was caused by a chronic sinus infection. One day, the patient died from cardiac arrest, the relatives came after hearing the incident. One of the relatives smelled rotten. Nobody could smell him except for Seulgi, she was disgusted by the foul odor that wasn’t even there. It was frustrating for her to have the disorder; she didn't ask for it. To lessen the smell, she started wearing a mask and regularly takes medicine. She just wanted to be normal again.

Eleonor notices Seulgi in somber. She wants to brighten the girl’s mood; she remembers she bought something for her when they were at the office depot. She reaches for her bag and takes out the fountain pen that Seulgi was eyeing when she was looking at the art material aisle. “I saw you back there looking at it. I wanted to give it to you as a present,” she hands over the fountain pen that is in its package.

Seulgi is flabbergasted by Eleonor’s gift, she didn’t expect it. “But Eleonor… I can’t accept this,” she looks at Eleonor; she’s very pleased but hesitant. “Eleonor, this is expensive,” She says.

Eleonor shakes her head, gesturing that she shouldn’t feel abashed. “I know you’re into art. Think of it as a welcome home gift from me. I’m genuinely happy to have you with us.”

Seulgi accepts the generous gift and thanks Eleonor for it. She beams an infectious smile, forming those crescent-eyes; she feels gleeful and delighted.

 

Somehow the place suddenly turned pleasant.

The fragrance crawls to her nose.

She embraces the smell.

 

It was Lilac.