Olfaction 10

Angels Creek

Eleonor is skimming some fashion magazines in the living room while looking after Elena who’s playing with her toys. Elena approaches her and sits between Eleonor's legs. She plants a kiss on her daughter's head and smells her while she looks at the pictures in the fashion magazine. A minute later she hears the door open, she thought it was Seulgi but when she saw the person, it was her husband, Byung Wook, who arrived home earlier than usual.

“Honey, I'm home,” He kisses her wife and daughter.

“You're unusually early,” Eleonor says.

Elena reaches for her father to be carried. Byung Wook lifts her and plays with her, bouncing. “I'll be early for tomorrow, I was assigned to appraise a land that the government sequestered when the owner wasn't able to pay even half the loan,” He tickles Elena's tummy, the toddler chuckles, and then he stops. “Is Seulgi home yet?”

“She’ll be here any minute now,” Eleonor closes the magazine and puts it on the coffee table. She picks up Elena's toys and puts them in the storage box.

“I received your message and it's also the perfect timing to have time with her. She's been avoiding me. Is she taking her medication regularly?”

“She is. I hope you understand her condition, I can see she's suffering a lot. She's just not saying it but I can feel it.”

Byung Wook nods. He didn't know what to say. He can feel his relationship with Seulgi is slowly drifting apart. He knows Seulgi isn't the type of person to get angry that he has a new family. He can even tell that she has a good relationship with Eleonor and Elena, as what he heard from Eleonor herself, Seulgi is a good kid. He's just glad that Seulgi was raised properly for the past five years. But he is still doing his responsibility as a father despite his absence.

Seulgi arrives home and sees her father, Elena, and Eleonor in the living room. “I'm home,” She greets them as she takes off her shoes before going upstairs.

“Seulgi-ya,” Byung Wook called.

Seulgi tries her best not to breathe in front of him and disregards the smell. “Yes?” She walks into the living room.

“Why didn't you tell me you didn't have a phone? Come with me, let's buy you a new one.”

Seulgi agrees. She glances at Eleonor who is busy arranging Elena's toys. She thought maybe it’s time to have a smartphone. She needs to contact them in case of an emergency.

In the car, Seulgi tries to get a hold of herself, but she notices her father’s pungent smell is lesser than usual. Still, it’s nauseating at times. She checks her pocket if she brought her mask but then she realizes she put it in her bag which she left at home.

“It's been a while since I drove you somewhere. I kinda miss this,” Byung Wook glances at Seulgi who is silently looking at the window. “I'm glad you're getting along with Eleonor,” He pauses. “What do you think of her?” He wants to know what Seulgi’s opinion of her new wife is.

Seulgi glances at her father and looks in front of the road, watching at the people crossing on the pedestrian lane, it’s a red light. “She's very kind and thoughtful,” She thought carefully of Eleonor. She wants to tell him he has good taste for women, but that would be weird coming from her.

“She is a great mother. She treats you like a daughter. I hope you know that.” He looks at the rear mirror, adjusting it.

“A mother, hmm…” Seulgi trails off. She doesn't know what to say. Eleonor as her mom? – She doesn't know how to feel about it. She could never think of Eleonor as her mother. She just thinks nobody could ever replace her late mother.

Byung Wook catches her pondering. He just hopes he knows what she’s thinking of. And when the traffic light turns to green, he drives forward. “Seulgi, I hope you don't think that I didn't love your mother,” He wants her to know that. They had a misunderstanding in the past. But that was in the past and now is the present. He wants to tell her he's sorry for everything. But some words wouldn't come out from his mouth as his thoughts were jumbled with many things.

Seulgi can tell her father is struggling with his words. She wants to reassure him that everything is fine and she's fine that he didn't have to worry about her. “I know,” She smiles.

Neither of them talks until they arrive at the phone shop. Byung Wook suggests buying the latest iPhone since it's the best phone he knows in the market and a lot of people are using it. Seulgi insists on buying an Android phone since its price is reasonable. He thought Seulgi might be just shy to choose an expensive phone. Money isn't a problem for him since he can afford to buy her an iPhone but Seulgi tells him that she's comfortable using Android phones. After buying a new phone, Seulgi suggests her father buy a cake for them to eat after dinner. They drive to the town's well-known cake shop. She’s given money to buy the cake while her father waits for her in the car because he's making a phone call.

Seulgi goes inside the shop and searches for a delicious cake that Eleonor would like. She looks at the varieties of cakes through the display fridge; all of them are delicious to look at. There are small, medium, and large sizes of cakes. The shop is even selling slices for take-outs. A red sophisticated color cake catches her eyes. It looks like what Eleonor would like. She reads the label, "Reveluv," she looks at the clerk behind the counter. “What kind of cake is this?” She points at it.

“It's a Red Velvet Cake with a tangy buttermilk batter and luscious cream cheese frosting.”

She remembers Eleonor’s clothing, sometimes, she wears red and they look good on her. “I'd like one, please.”

“What size would you like?”

“Medium, please.”

After buying the cake she goes back to the car where her father is waiting. She opens the door and the stench comes out. She tries her best to ignore the smell; she knows it’s all in her head. Her father has just finished making a phone call. He puts his phone inside his pocket and puts on the seatbelt. “What kind of cake did you buy?” He looks at Seulgi who is putting on her seatbelt, she has a hard time with it and then her father helps her while she holds the cake box.

The pungent smell is sickening but Seulgi tries her best to get a hold of herself before she could answer. “A Red Velvet Cake,” She holds the cake box properly so it won't fall.

“Nice choice. How did you know Eleonor likes Red Velvet? Did she tell you?” Byung Wook starts the engine to go back home.

“She didn't.”

Byung Wook glances at the right side mirror before making a turn.

“It’s just a lucky guess,” Seulgi continues. She closes her eyes and purses her lips, trying not to think of the unpleasant smell but the more she’s trying to fight the thoughts, the more she becomes nauseous in the ride. Her father is talking but she isn't paying attention to what he was saying because her stomach was already churning like she is about to throw up. She covers trying to hold it in but she couldn’t anymore; so she immediately taps her father to park on the side. Concerned, Byung Wook turns the hazard light to park. Seulgi puts the cake box on the backseat and hastily unbuckles the seatbelt and runs outside the car to vomit. Byung Wook goes out of the car and approaches Seulgi to ask how she’s feeling but Seulgi would step back and vomit some more. He couldn't do anything but wait for her to feel better. A couple of minutes later, Seulgi isn't feeling nauseous anymore and the smell is neutralized. She looks at her father who’s waiting in the car with a worried expression. She goes back inside the car and her father gives her a Vicks VapoRub, a mentholated ointment to temporarily relieve her nausea.

“Are you alright?” He asks, concerned. Seulgi nods as she receives the Vicks VapoRub. “Let's go home,” He says. And when they arrive home, Eleonor finishes cooking; it's perfect timing for dinner. They eat together but Seulgi and her father haven’t spoken a word to each other since they arrived.

Eleonor notices it. “How did you know I like Red Velvet Cake?” She asks Seulgi to break the silence.

Seulgi swallows her food. “It looked appealing, so I bought it.”

“Well, Elena would also like Red Velvet cake, wouldn't you?” She looks at Elena and feeds her.

“I want cake!” Elena replies.

“Wait after dinner, Elena,” Eleonor scoops a spoon and feeds her. “You can eat the cake if you finish your meal.”

Elena becomes eager to finish dinner so she can eat the cake. Seulgi smiles when she sees how cute Elena was.

“Did you buy a new phone?”

“Yes, I did.”

“I'll tell you my number later.”

Seulgi remembers she has to ask permission if she can go to a party. She looks at Eleonor and then at her father. It’s a good opportunity to start a conversation with him. “Eishan James is going to throw a party at his house this Friday and I was invited by a friend to come,” It’s fine if they won't let her go to the party, at least she tried asking permission first. “But it's okay if you won't permit me,” She continues as she takes a bite of the grilled pork.

Eleonor looks at Byung Wook whether he would allow Seulgi to go. She gives him a look to let her. Byung Wook is anxious to let Seulgi go to the party but it's also a good opportunity for the teenager to have fun. He's just glad Seulgi asked for permission rather than sneaking out but he doubts Seulgi is the type of person to do that.

“Are you going alone?” Byung Wook asks concernedly.

Seulgi is surprised by her father's response. It seems that she’ll get approval from him. “I'm going with a friend, a girl, Giselle Uchinaga. Irene will be there too.”

“Irene? Bae Joohyun?”

“Yes, Joohyun…” It’s quite weird and foreign to say Irene's Korean name. She isn't used to that name since she's always called her Irene but her father calls her Joohyun. He always calls all Korean in their town by their Korean names. Elena doesn't have a Korean name, Eleonor was the one who named her.

“Why didn't you say so? That's a good opportunity to meet with your best friend,” When Seulgi heard the word best friend from her father, it panged her. Maybe her father doesn’t know they aren’t on good terms. “I won't be here on Friday since I'm busy with work but don't forget to message Eleonor. You still have a curfew, no drinking, and definitely no boys.” Byung Wook says firmly. As a father and as a man, he’s afraid of some boys will flirt with her daughter.

“Now, now, Dear, don't be too hard on Seulgi. She's old enough to know her limitations, don't you Seulgi?” Eleonor looks at Seulgi and smiles. She wants her to experience as a normal senior high school student. Seulgi nods and looks at her father for permission.

“Well, I guess so. But no boys, okay?”

Seulgi nods again, she thought it’s an easy task. She wasn't thinking about boys anyway. It never crossed into her mind. She just wants to go to the party to talk to Irene. Giselle told her that Irene would be there, that's what made her kind of want to go also if it was possible. Since she was permitted to go, she'll try to talk to her and tell her that she's sorry.