Olfaction 8

Angels Creek

 

“Today, I want to talk on fools. And I want you to turn with me to the third chapter of 1 Corinthians, beginning with the 18th verse; ‘Let no man deceive himself.’ If any man among you seems to be wise in this world ‘Let him become a fool that he may be wise.’ For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God.’ ‘For it is written; He taketh the wise ‘In their own craftiness.’ And again, The Lord knoweth the thoughts of the wise that they are vain.” The known charismatic pastor of Angels Creek, Teddy Graham, delivers his gospel reading to the people in his church. Everyone listens to him wholeheartedly, wanting to live by the words. He smiles at everyone as he finishes his deliverance. “Amen,” Everyone says. The pianist, who is by the side of the platform where Teddy Graham is standing, looks at him as she starts the tune of the hymn and everyone sings to the song.

The pianist looks at the people around the church to see some notable people in the town. Some of them don’t regularly attend the mass but this day is special since Teddy Graham throws a sharing food party for everyone in the church and brings their food to share with everyone. Of course, those notable people have to show their faces for the crowd as the election is nearly approaching next year.

After the mass ended, everyone is outside the church socializing with one another. There, you can find a beautiful landscape: the green grasses and the flowers that lure the butterflies and bees. The church’s landscape is just well managed. Beside the church is where the white sophisticated-looking tent pavilion was rented and set for the gathering by Oscar Pryce, the town mayor. Oscar Pryce is there with his family, greeting all the people of the church. The members of the church brought their food and set it on the white tables in the tent pavilion.

Teddy Graham looks at his wristwatch and calls everyone’s attention. “I thank everyone for coming today, Sunday, is indeed a family day. I consider you, the church, as a part of the family. I’d like to celebrate the sharing of the feast with everyone. Sharing food at one table is one way of communication and fortification of our bonds. May God bless our meal.”

“Amen,” Everyone replies.

Teddy Graham approaches Oscar Pryce who is talking to a woman who has influence over her little feminist club in the town. “Good day,” He beams. He offers a handshake to the woman first, then to Oscar Pryce. “Mr. Pryce, thank you so much for sponsoring the tent pavilion, and the –”

“–Nonsense. It’s the least I can do for our church,” Oscar Pryce replies as he looks at the woman beside him, and smiles. “I’d like to introduce you to my family,” He calls his wife and two sons. “This is my wife, Debbra, and my two sons, Bryan and Chad.”

“It’s nice to meet you and talk to you closely, Pastor Teddy,” Debbra says. She always attends the Sunday mass but it’s her first time talking to him this close. She usually just sits in the middle of the church. She thinks Pastor Teddy is more handsome at a closer distance. Not to mention how charismatic he talks. Bryan and Chad also greet him, but not as enthusiastic as their mother. Teddy notices the teenagers pass by to greet him, his smile was genuine. “Oscar, did you notice how well the pianist plays? I’ve never heard anyone as good as Pastor Teddy’s wife,” Debbra says as her husband puts his hand around her waist.

Teddy looks back at Debbra. “Oh, I’m so pleased to hear compliments about my wife. She’s just the best,” Teddy Graham’s wife approaches behind the Pryces. “Oh, there she is,” He holds her hand and introduces her to the Pryces. “This is my wife, Jennie Kim Graham, also the church’s greatest pianist,” He kisses her temple.

“Nice to meet you, Mr. and Mrs. Pryce,” Jennie shakes their hands, also their sons who are standing beside them. The two are just there for the image, Jennie knows that.

“The church is glad to have you today, Mr. Pryce,” Teddy Graham sees Mrs. Park from afar. “Mr. and Mrs. Pryce, I hope you’ll excuse me, I have to attend to others. I hope you’ll enjoy the gathering,” He smiles and tells his wife to greet the others. Jennie nods as she walks her husband walks away, going to Mrs. Susan Park. “Mrs. Park, good day,” He greets her. Bryan Pryce looks at Pastor Teddy Graham and Susan Park. Susan Park meets his eyes and bows to him from afar.

Jennie stands outside the tent pavilion where she could see everyone’s move, watching, observing. Everyone in the church is having fun, mingling with fellow churchmates. She looks at how charismatic her beloved husband is. Everyone respects him. Pastor Teddy Graham is a kind, humble, and the most honest man she knows, she’s lucky to have him – as everyone would say. She met Teddy Graham five years ago and a year later, he married her and the same year, they moved in Angels Creek. They were known to be the perfect religious couple in town. Everyone would say they are perfect for each other. A charismatic good-looking man who’s a shepherd of the Lord, and a talented beautiful South Korean pianist who is serving loyally to her husband. Hearing the comments about them is heart-warming to hear.

Jennie greets the people who enter the tent pavilion to refill their plates. She keeps her composure and shows a bright smile for everyone for the sake of her husband’s image. The women in their church would talk to her but lowkey ask about her husband. Maybe they thought she wouldn’t notice. She wonders if the people genuinely think and say good things about her, or it’s just because she is the wife of the charismatic pastor that makes them treat her nicely. She has lived in the town for four years and it was enough to know who is who.

Her eyes would glance around at the people who were there. There are those who attend the church regularly and just sometimes, and there are those who attend once in a while kinds of people. Susan Park recently comes to the church to pray for her missing daughter. The Pryces only come when there’s an event. But she notices the son; Bryan Pryce comes from time to time, recently. Although, she doesn’t think that those who don’t attend are less of a person – What does less even supposed to mean? – She hates it when people judge immediately when they don't know the person. It sickens her. She hears tittle-tattles from here and there from the church members. The gossip mongers never miss a mass and it amazes her, they always have gossip to tell. What does she expect? It’s a church, people are hypocrites. It’s best not to get involved; she listens to them but never says anything for the good of her image.

“Mrs. Graham, I brought a basket of fruits,” Hannah Harpers, a high school student of St. Raguel High School approaches her.

“You can put it inside the tent pavilion to share with everyone,” Jennie replies.

Hannah Harper lowers the basket. “Y-you see, I didn’t intend to share it with everyone. I want this to offer t–”

“–Thank you, Hannah, for the kind offer,” Jennie knows to whom it was for. Hannah has no choice but to give her the basket. “I’ll make sure, my husband knows,” She tells Hannah Harper, the latter smiles in contentment and walks away. Jennie always knows the intention of the women around her. She doesn’t feel jealous nor has ill feelings towards them. She’s always calm about this matter because she quite knows her position. A few moments later, the captain of the town’s police department arrives with his daughter and a colleague. Maybe, they are the only people she likes there. She never heard anything from them. They are the opposite of the people who are there. She watches them from afar walking towards where she is standing. She fixes her hair and dress and keeps her composure. She greets them and leads them into the tent pavilion for a conversation. This is her role; she has to keep the guests accompanied. She meets the captain’s colleague’s eyes.

There is a subtle smile.