Olfaction 19

Angels Creek

 

Lisa tells her colleague that she was just conducting a test and tells him that it's classified information that he should never tell other police officers about it. The police officer didn’t question and followed her order. Lisa tells Irene, Seulgi, and Giselle that they’ll have to move to the meeting room to discuss the matter. Was it just a circus trick or a scripted drama? They are all trying to process what just happened back in the police lineup room.

Giselle looks at Seulgi who is wiping her nose with a tissue. “So, you’re a member of The X-men?” That’s the only explanation she can understand at the moment. That Seulgi is special because she has the ability to identify bad guys with her sense of smell. She’s fascinated by it. She hopes she’s as cool as her. Seulgi looks at her, baffled. She doesn’t understand what she meant.

Lisa stands up to take a peek at the blinders and then looks at Seulgi. “Let’s say you can smell those baddies but it doesn’t mean we’ll just arrest them without proof and warrants of arrest,” She folds her arms and leans on the wall. “Besides, you can’t even tell what kind of immoral act they’ve done.”

“But isn’t it better to act something rather than doing nothing?” Irene interjects.

“True, but the police don’t have the resources to just follow them around the town,” Lisa tells them.

“I thought the town is going well economically based on the infrastructures and businesses coming in,” Seulgi says, realizing how come the police don’t have the budget if the town’s economy is booming as what she noticed.

Lisa knows that, despite the economic growth of the town for the past four years, they weren’t given a budget. They were all thrown in the buildings and recreations. A rising economic place can also have a downside with the crime rate starting to rise for the past year.

“Seulgi,” Giselle calls her attention in the middle of their conversation. “So, your mutant power is the super smell?” Seulgi nods. “Damn, just like wolverine,” Giselle says.

Irene and Lisa are looking at her in disbelief. Irene snaps her fingers. “Jesus Christ, Giselle, focus!” She says in an irritated voice.

“Just askin’,” Giselle sits properly, aware of Irene’s irritation.

“When did this ability of yours start?” Lisa looks at Seulgi to go back to the topic.

Seulgi is quiet at first trying to figure out – When did it start? – She asks herself. She looks up and tells Lisa. “After the accident.”

Irene feels bad hearing about it. She was there at the funeral with her father to pay respect to Seulgi’s dead mother. She wanted to say her condolence to Seulgi but Seulgi wasn’t there at the funeral. She heard she was still in the process of recovering at the hospital. She could have visited her, but she didn’t. Even if she had a reason, she knows it wasn’t an excuse for not visiting even just once. She felt guilty. When she saw Seulgi came back to the town, she was happy and she misses her, but her dumb and unreasonable feelings get into her way to talk to her. If she just set aside her disappointment of Seulgi, not contacting her for the past five years, maybe, they could have talked about many things and catch up and go back to what they used to be. It was impossible. She hates herself and her stupid emotions hindering her to do the right thing.

Suddenly, someone knocks on the door and opens it. “Det, there’s a situation,” Kai tells her. Lisa nods and Kai closes the door. Lisa has other things to do. She tells them to talk and figure this next time they’ll have a chance to insert this matter. She’s currently busy with other cases. It’s her priority for the moment. Lisa excuses herself and the teenagers understand it. Giselle has to go home, her mother messaged her to come home to look after her sister while she’s working overtime. She tells them she has to head first, leaving the two behind. There is nothing else to do either. Seulgi also heads out but when she is about to go to the exit, Irene hollers at her. “Seulgi!” Seulgi turns around and looks at her. Irene is hesitant to say it but Seulgi is waiting for her to say something. “Can we go somewhere and talk?” Irene pauses and adds, “Just like old times,” She smiles, waiting for Seulgi’s answer.

When Seulgi hears it, she feels genuinely happy and warm inside that Irene wants to have time with her. She looks at her smartphone and it’s 5:41 PM. She sends a message to Eleonor that she won’t be eating dinner at home. She looks back to Irene. “Sure,” She puts her smartphone in her pocket and smiles. “I’ll be glad to.”

Irene jerks in excitement, she’s happy Seulgi agreed to it but she doesn’t want to be forceful. “Are you sure?”

“I don’t see why not,” Seulgi shrugs.

Irene clears and keeps her composure. “Well, in that case, I’ll talk to my father first. Can you wait for me for a bit?”

Seulgi nods.

After Irene talks to her father, she drives her car to her favorite café in town. She and Seulgi walk inside the coffee shop and were greeted by the barista. The coffee shop feels cozy with its interior design, smell, and vibes. There aren’t any customers that day. Seulgi feels the place is exclusive for both of them. She thinks maybe they were just early. She looks at the opening time; it says 5 PM. Irene decides to sit at the middle table. When they sit down, the barista immediately hands them a menu and leaves them. Seulgi gets surprised at the menu; she thought the coffee shop only serves coffee and pastries. “They serve rice meals here? This is amazing,” She says in amusement. She reads the menu and its description. It is informative for the customers to know what the food is aside from just showing the pictures. Sometimes you look at the picture and you’re not sure what it is and you just order it because it looks good.

“Are you ready to order?” Irene says. When Seulgi nods, she calls the attention of the barista.

The barista approaches their table and picks her notepad and pen. “What would you like to order?” She says with enthusiasm.

Irene looks at Seulgi to go first. “I’d like this one,” Seulgi points at the picture and says, “Taco Rice.”

“How spicy do you want it?” The barista asks.

“Not so spicy, please,” Seulgi finishes ordering and looks at Irene. “How about you?”

“Do you want the usual?” The barista asks.

“Yes, please,” Irene answers. The barista nods and smiles. Seulgi realizes that Irene often comes here since the barista knows her usual order.

“How about drinks?” The barista looks at Seulgi.

“I’d like a Cappuccino.”

“Café Au Lait for me,” Irene says.

“Is that all?” The barista asks. Both of them nod. “Waiting time is about ten to fifteen minutes.”

“Excuse me, miss,” Seulgi says before the barista could leave. “Do you all do the work here?” Seulgi asks curiously.

The barista smiles. “We have a cook here. He’s behind there.” She points to the small window for serving behind the counter table.

“Oh, I see. Thank you.”

The barista smiles and leaves to make their coffee. Irene leans her back on the chair, folding her arms, looking at Seulgi. She’s thinking of what she wants to ask or say to her. She doesn’t know where to begin.

“What?” Seulgi notices Irene staring at her.

“What, what?” Irene replies.

“I thought you have something to tell me.”

“I do. It’s just…” Irene sighs. “I just don’t know where to begin,” She tells Seulgi. They are looking at each other, thinking and waiting for each other to start the conversation. This will be their first time talking about themselves, about their lives. Seulgi understands that. She’s willing to talk if Irene is ready. She has a lot of questions about her too.

The barista approaches them to serve their coffees and leaves after. Seulgi observes Irene drinking from her coffee. Seulgi holds her coffee and smells it. The coffee’s scent soothes her, realizing the background music is a 1950s Jazz – she doesn’t exactly know that but she just guessed – maybe a 1950s playlist from Spotify? Aside from that, it feels relaxing to hear the steamy hiss and cough of the Gaggia coffee machine. Seulgi drinks her Cappuccino. She loves its tastes, not too bitter and not too sweet. It’s just right. She thinks she’s ready to do the first move like she always does when they were young.

“It’s been a while,” Seulgi says in Korean.

“Mmm,” Irene puts down her coffee. “It’s been a while, Seulgi-ya,” She replies in Korean.

That day, they were talking about a lot of things during those five years that they weren’t together, reconnecting. They also talked about memories from their elementary days. They laughed at the ridiculous stuff in elementary. Both of them are just glad that they are back together as friends again. Irene didn’t ask why Seulgi didn’t reply to her letters. She wants to leave that in the past. What’s important is the present that they have now.

Seulgi thanks Irene for driving her home. She quite had a lot of fun catching up with her. She looks at the time and she couldn’t believe that it’s already past nine. They had a long talk and she was really happy. When she is about to go to her room, she realizes the lights in the kitchen are still on. She goes there to turn it off but when she walks into the kitchen, she sees Eleonor staring at her wine glass. She knows something is troubling Eleonor. Seulgi calls her attention.

Eleonor snaps out from her thoughts. “Oh, Seulgi I didn’t see you come in,” She closes the wine bottle and swigs the glass of wine in one drink to finish it before she stands up and cleans the table.

Seulgi looks at the wine bottle almost empty. “Are you okay?” She asks but Eleonor didn’t reply. Eleonor puts the wine bottle in the fridge and washes the wine glass. “Eleonor, is there something bothering you?” Seulgi asks again, she’s worried to see Eleonor like that. “You know, you can always tell me.”

Eleonor turns around and says, “Why do I feel your father is cheating on me?”