Olfaction 18

Angels Creek

“Hello there, two little childhood friends,” Giselle greets the two, Seulgi is waiting for Irene to get her books from her locker. Classes were over and they’re going to the Angels Creek Police Station as Detective Lisa told them to meet them there. Giselle notices that the two are not awkward anymore with each other. She thought something might have shifted between the two. “So, I guess you two reconciled huh,” she says. Seulgi and Irene glance at each other but neither wants to comment about it and avert their eyes from each other. Giselle notices that. “Why are you two shy? We should celebrate your getting-back-as-friends!”

“We can’t right now,” Irene says, closing her locker.

“Why not?” Giselle asks.

Irene and Seulgi are looking at each other. Seulgi is relying on Irene to answer Giselle because she doesn’t know if she is allowed to tell the truth. “We have somewhere to go to,” Irene replies.

“To where?” Giselle looks at Seulgi for an answer because she knows Irene wouldn’t say it but Seulgi might.

Irene knows this side of Giselle; she won’t stop pushing questions until she gets an answer. “Why do you wanna know?” She replies.

“Am I not allowed to know?”

“What are your intentions?”

“Funny that you said that, you see, every time there’s someone who enters in your life, you gotta ask their intentions first. Are they staying or leaving? Just like my ex did, so I thought if someone enters my life maybe I should break their legs so they won’t leave me anymore.” Giselle looks at Seulgi who is baffled by her statement. Momo, Giselle’s classmate from Math class, approaches behind her and calls her name. “That’s right, Seulgi, just like this,” Giselle is of Momo’s intention. She turns around and talks to Momo. “What do you want? What are your intentions? Are you here to leave me again just like everybody does?”

“W-what? What are you talking about? I’m here because I need my notes back,” Momo shoots Giselle a quizzical look.

Seulgi purses her lips to prevent herself from laughing while Irene keeps a straight face to the situation.

“Oh,” Giselle becomes awkward but she tries to keep her cool. “Hehe, sorry I left it in my other bag,” she laughs awkwardly.

“Ugh! I need my notes back!” Momo snaps at Giselle.

“Woah, I said I’m sorry. Tomorrow, tomorrow! I promise I’ll return it tomorrow,” Giselle says.

“That’s the last time I’ll let you borrow my notes!” When Momo turns her heels and walks away, Giselle makes funny faces to mock her. Seulgi saw that and laughs at her craziness; she thinks Giselle is funny.

Irene saw that too. “Jesus Christ, Giselle, you’re so immature.” Then, she beckons Seulgi so they can go now.

“Seriously, where are you two heading to?” Giselle asks again.

Both Irene and Seulgi stop in their way. Seulgi looks at Irene who is inhaling deeply, still thinking what to tell Giselle so she wouldn’t bother them. Seulgi thought it’s not bad to tag Giselle along as long as they won’t tell her about Lisa and the pastor’s wife’s secret. What could possibly go wrong? “To the police station,” She says. Irene is surprised that Seulgi told Giselle, it wasn’t good. She knows Giselle won’t stop bothering them.

“Are you visiting your father there?”

Irene scoffs, forces a smile, and turns around. “Yes, I am. And if you want to come along, you can come along.”

Seulgi was surprised Irene told Giselle to come. She thought Irene would tell her something else.

“I wasn’t planning to but… if you say so, I don’t have anywhere to go to,” Giselle says.

Irene and Seulgi look at each other, communicating mentally that it was a bad idea. They thought Giselle would like to tag along because she kept asking questions but it turned out she wasn’t planning to, she was just asking where they were going, and now it’s too late to take their words back. Giselle is officially coming along with them to the police station.

At the police station, Kai calls Lisa’s attention, who is talking to the other police officer for an update of a case. Kai tells her that some teenagers are looking for her. Lisa nods. She looks at her wristwatch, thinking the two are early. She dismisses the officer and stands up. She goes out of the office and gets surprised to see a plus-one person tagging along with them. She beckons Irene to come with her but not the two.

Giselle purses her lips in excitement. She didn’t know Irene is close with the hottest and coolest detective in town. She saw Lisa before because she was in prison for doing delinquent stuff in the past. But she convinces herself and Irene that she’s a changed person now. “I thought we’re here to see Irene’s father?” She asks Seulgi, curiously.

Seulgi glances at the office where Irene’s father is, and there is someone inside based on the silhouette. “Later,” She says, she isn't fond of lying but technically it wasn't a lie. Irene's father is busy talking with someone.

Giselle looks behind her where the office is and understands it. Kai approaches them and tells them to sit down and wait. Giselle smiles sheepishly at the police officer who walks by, looking at her sardonically. It's the same officer who arrested her a year ago.

Seulgi sits properly, hugging her backpack. She feels intimidated being in the police station even though she knows she hasn't done anything wrong.

Giselle looks at the missing people posted on the corkboard and sees Joy Park's poster. “Do you know about Joy Park and Irene?”

“Not so much,” Seulgi replies.

“That's Irene alright. She doesn't talk much about her life. She's such a private person and I respect that.”

Seulgi keeps silent. She expects that part of Irene. Back then it was really hard to break Irene's shell.

“I just know they started being close last year. Irene never says anything but I know she’s so worried about Joy’s disappearance. I’m surprised she tagged us along with this.”

“What kind of person is Joy?” Seulgi asks, she wonders why Irene took an interest in Joy.

“Well,” Giselle rubs her neck, thinking about it. “As what Joy portrays or known to be at school, well, she’s pretty that’s for sure. I really think her beauty fits to be an idol, like a K-pop idol. But I think her beauty fits in a lingerie model,” Seulgi gives her a disdainful look with that statement. “Was that too much?” Giselle asks Seulgi, the latter nods. “Okay fine, her beauty fits to be a model of some sort. Anyway, she's pretty. She’s like Regina George of Mean Girls kind of popular, minus the y attitude or maybe she is. I don’t know. I can’t say, we’re not friends. But what I can say is she’s rich, her family owns lands in town. She’s smart, really smart, and has an artistic side. I see her at parties and raves. Does she do drugs? Hell, she does,” She leans closer to Seulgi to whisper. “And what I heard, she sells drugs too.”

“Why? Does she need the money so badly? Didn’t you say her family is rich?” Seulgi asks.

“Nah, this is recent. Maybe it has something to do with her father. I heard they fought and maybe that’s why she ran away. I’m speculating her father cut off her credit card, maybe that’s why,” Giselle leans back, crossing her legs. She looks at the police officer who passes by.

Seulgi lets the police officer walk until he is far before she continues to talk. “Does Irene know?”

“Beats me,” Giselle shrugs.

“Why didn’t you tell her?”

“I don’t mention Joy’s name to her, well, not anymore.”

“Why not?”

“Seulgi, think about this, when you… respect someone, and suddenly you know that they’re not really what you expected them to be. You’ll be disappointed. I like Irene, she’s my friend. I don’t want to pop that bubble and it’s not my position to meddle in. Besides, it’s not like Joy is really bad for Irene,” Giselle pauses, she feels she spilled a lot that she shouldn’t have. She’s friends with Irene but there are things that she has to respect her boundaries. “Hey, don’t tell Irene I told you this. You never heard this from me, got that?”

Seulgi nods. She thinks Irene must've been really close with Joy. She can tell Irene cares a lot about Joy that she seeks her help to find her. She shakes her head, she thought, anyone would be worried if their friend is reported to be missing. If she's in Irene's shoes, she would be too. She hopes they will find Joy as soon as possible. She wants to meet her in person.

On the other side, Lisa leads Irene to a private room where the police usually interrogate suspects. When they reach there, she crosses her arms and looks at Irene straight in the eyes. “Does the other girl know?”

“Oh, Giselle? No, we didn't tell her. She just tagged along.”

“And you thought that would make me…?”

“As I said I would never break my promise. How low do you think of me to spread your secret? What will I gain from it?” Irene looks back directly, she's firm with her words.

Lisa could feel Irene's sincerity. “Fine,” She scoffs. “Why do you want to come here in the first place anyway?”

“I want to try something and this result will make you believe us.”

Lisa is curious about what Irene is going to say. “Okay, shoot.”

A couple of minutes later, Giselle and Seulgi are called to go to the interrogation room where Irene and Detective Lisa are. Seulgi is nervous, it's her first time going in there. They stand behind a big one-way mirror window, where they can see what's inside but the people from inside cannot see otherwise. They see five male criminals with handcuffs, lining up. Lisa wants to conduct a test whether Seulgi can tell who's the criminal among the five that are inside the police lineup room if what they claimed was true about her ability to smell them. “Seulgi, tell me. Who commits who in the five convicts,” Lisa challenges Seulgi.

“I can't…” Seulgi replies.

“So, you're telling me you're a fraud and what you told me was a lie?” Lisa raises her left brow.

“No, that's not it,” Seulgi looks at Lisa in all seriousness.

Giselle is baffled by the situation, she doesn't understand what they are doing there. She thought Irene went there to see her father, but it wasn't about it.

“Why can't you do it then?”

“I can't smell them if they are inside,” Seulgi says.

Giselle walks to Irene's side and asks. “Irene, what's this? What's going on? What are they talking about? I thought you went here to see your dad?” She has zero ideas of what's going on.

“Once this is over. We'll explain everything to you,” Irene tells Giselle, the latter looks at her, and Irene's expression is serious. The atmosphere in the room is serious.

Lisa understands it and tells the convicts, via a microphone, to turn around, so they won't see Seulgi's face. She tells her colleague to open the door for Seulgi, and when the door is opened, Seulgi gets disgusted by the awful smell that is coming from inside. Lisa crosses her arms, observing Seulgi who covers her nose feeling nauseous by the odors. Seulgi looks at Lisa who is waiting for her to go inside. The more Seulgi delays going inside the room, the more she feels Lisa is doubting her ability. She looks at Irene who has a hopeful expression on her face. She doesn't want to let her down. She promised to help her and she tends to keep that promise. She closes her eyes and breathes deeply to get herself together, and heaves a breath. She reminds herself she won't stay long and just have to identify the smell. She walks in and smells them one by one and when she's done, she immediately runs out of the room searching for a trash can to throw up which makes them surprised.

Giselle and Irene run towards Seulgi to comfort her while she's throwing up. Irene taps Giselle and asks her to hand her a tissue. Giselle gives Irene a sardonic look. “Do I look like I care to carry one?” She tells Irene. The latter grunts at Giselle being useless. A police officer gives them a tissue box. Giselle is about to get it from his hand but Irene was swift enough to get it first and pulls a ply of tissues to give them to Seulgi. Giselle shoots Irene a scornful look, thinking that she looks like she's just a third wheel, a living tree, or worse, a rock, who is useless in the situation.

Lisa hands her a nasal inhaler for her nausea. “So Seulgi, tell me what you found out,” She reprimands.

Seulgi wipes with a tissue and stands up, looking at Lisa directly in the eyes. “Convicts 2, 3, and 5,” She tells her in confidence.

Lisa doesn't blink. She keeps a straight face, trying to process it. She thought Seulgi could have just been lucky but too lucky to guess. How could she possibly know? There are three real convicts in the police lineup room, of course, she didn't tell Irene that. None of them knows; only Lisa and the police officer who helped to conduct the test. One commits S*x Assault, the other one commits Blackmail and Embezzlement, and the other one commits Domestic Violence. The other two aren't convicts but decoys to trick Seulgi but she manages to get it right.