Olfaction 15

Angels Creek

It’s late in the evening and the moonlight shines on the ground, giving light to where the dead body was found on the open field at the barn. Cops are searching around the parameter while others put a yellow signage barricade tape to keep off unauthorized people from the crime scene. A private car arrives at the place. One officer gestures to the woman that their captain has just arrived. The woman comes out of the crime scene and approaches the man who steps out of his car. Supposedly, the police captain was about to go to bed, but he was called to go to the crime scene. The officer reported that a man was coming home from a pub. Before he entered his house, he wanted to check his cows in the barn. When he was on the lot, he noticed a body that was lying on the ground thirty meters away from the barn. It wasn’t hard to miss since the moonlight made it easier to be seen. The property owner was alarmed and called the cops immediately.

“Good evening Captain Atwood.”

“Good evening Detective Manoban. Can you fill me in on the details of the crime scene?” They walk together back to the crime scene.

“The guy was identified as Emmanuel Kant. Fifty-nine, he worked at a barbershop in the town, no kids and divorced twice.”

“And the cause of death?”

Lisa puts on the nitrile gloves before touching the dead body to avoid tampering with the evidence. “Strangulation,” She tilts the head of the dead person to show the marks on his neck. “Mr. Kant was strangled from behind using a wire,” She raises the dead body’s hand. “Look at the bloody nails, he was struggling to take off the wire to breathe,” She puts the hand down. “It was clear that he didn’t see it coming,” She stands up and takes off her gloves. “Unfortunately, the weapon used for the crime wasn’t found. So, the conclusion is that the killer was already eyeing Mr. Kant’s whereabouts. He wasn’t killed in this area based on the dragging tracks on the ground; he was dead for about three hours now before his body was seen.”

“Have you talked to any of his relatives?”

“The officers are on it,” Lisa replies. She notices the captain gave her a pissed look just being called for a typical case that they can handle. “Also,” Lisa rubs her nose with her index finger; it has become a habit of her when she’s emphasizing something based on her guts. “I think a serial killer is lurking in our town.”

Her verdict of the situation caught the captain’s attention. “What made you say so?”

“It’s just, Mr. Kant is the third person murdered using strangulation this year.”

“It could be anything.”

“But I do think, to strangulate someone is a bit personal…” Lisa rests her chin on her hand, thinking. “This kind of crime hasn’t happened before in years. I mean, I’ve lived here since I was little.” She has lived in Angels Creek longer than Captain Atwood who has lived in the town for seven years. For the past five years, Angels Creek has changed. The town may have some unlawful acts yet far from heinous crimes. From her twenty-eight years of existence in the town, she hasn’t heard the news that someone was murdered. It’s a peaceful town for her and she wants to keep it that way. The occurrence compelled her to solve the mystery and catch the killer.

“You didn’t become a detective for nothing, Detective Manoban. Conclusive evidence and patterns; be precise before jumping to a conclusion.” The police captain nods his head. “See you tomorrow in the office.”

“Have a safe drive, Captain Atwood.”

Lisa looks at him driving away from the crime scene.

The next day Lisa arrives at the police precinct with two boxes of doughnuts that she just bought. It’s a treat for her colleagues since they stayed up late last night. She puts the two boxes of doughnuts on the table near the water dispenser, luring her colleagues around that area and they are thanking her for the treat.

“We’re so lucky to have you, Detective!”

“You’re the best Det!”

“Thank you, Det Lis!”

“Thank you for the hard work last night,” Lisa replies as her colleagues get a doughnut from the box. “Kai, any updates of the murder case from last night?” She asks as she sits on her chair, a colleague makes Lisa a cup of coffee and gives it to her. She smiles at her colleague, thanking her for it. Then, she looks at the tall guy who’s holding a folder.

“From what I got, Mr. Kant always closes his barbershop at 7 PM. Last night, he went to the nearest bar around his barbershop at 7:15 PM.”

“And this came from?” She sips her hot coffee while listening to him.

“A parlor shop next to his. The woman said Mr. Kant was with a guy when he went to the bar.”

“How does she know he went to a bar?” Lisa shoots him a questioning look.

“You know the women at the parlor, they gossip a lot.”

“Does she recognize the person’s face that was with Mr. Kant?”

“She said she didn’t see much, the guy was facing back. Also, she was busy cleaning the place to mind them.”

Lisa nods. “Kai, ask the nearest bar around the place.” She puts down her almost emptied coffee and opens the file that is on her table.

“Now? Most of them aren’t open until evening.”

“No, I didn’t mean now,” Lisa rolls her eyes at him. Kai has a face that every woman likes but he is sometimes sloppy. She seldom wonders how Kai got the job as a detective. She has known him for a long time since they were classmates when they were in high school. Kai wasn’t a douchebag jock that bullies the weaklings. Lisa just simply hates his guts because of his conceited personality like he feels he can charm all the women with his face.

“Got it,” Kai flashes him a smile that could melt a woman’s heart. Unluckily, it doesn't have any effect on Lisa, it just pisses her off.

“Jesus, stop with that smile,” Lisa almost pukes her guts out; she hates his charisma.

“All the women like it, except for you.”

“Well, I’m not like them.”

Kai leans down slowly. “That’s what I like about you. You’re not like them.”

The words trigger Lisa that she grabs his collars, pissed. She slams Kai’s head on her table many times until he bleeds. Everyone is shocked and restrain her from her actions and–

“Lisa?” Kai calls her attention.

Lisa snaps back to reality, she looks at the pencil that she just broke with one hand. She realizes it was just her imagination slamming his head on the table but it felt so good. She wants to do that every time Kai is being cocky. She heaves a deep sigh. “Just get out of my sight.” Kai shrugs as he walks away from her space. Lisa leans her back on her chair as she massages her temples to relieve the stress. From all people who are assigned to their precinct, why does it have to be Kai? She doesn't like him but she has to be professional with her job. She remembers when they were in high school. Girls would like to pair up with Kai but the Chemistry teacher picked who should be paired up with. The girls were furious that she was paired up with him. She didn’t want it but she had no choice. There were times that Kai approached her like something was going on between them that caused a misunderstanding. It was infuriating at times that she was labeled as a by the jealous girls who didn’t have the guts to talk to Kai. On the other hand, Kai didn’t even do anything to clear up the misunderstanding. Lisa had to distance herself to avoid the situation she didn’t sign up for. So, after the issue was resolved, she felt a thorn was plucked out from her. No more problematic stupid girls sneering at her. After graduation, she enrolled in a college in a different state. She didn’t tell anyone about it. And years after, she didn’t expect that Kai applied for the same job as a detective. She kept contemplating about it. What a coincidence, of all courses and jobs, how did they end up working together? The fact that he is the last person she wants to come across. The universe must have been playing tricks on her.

Lisa stands up to go out and investigate other cases. When she walks out of the police station, she meets the daughter of her colleague.

“Is my father in?” The girl asks.

“Yeah, he’s in his office,” Lisa replies. She notices the girl keeps coming in to check for the progress of her friend’s disappearance. Until now, she hasn’t been found but they are doing their best to find her. She hopes they will find a lead to the girl’s disappearance.

Later that night, Lisa drives her way to the place. She parks her car and looks at the window of the house while she dials the number, ringing, waiting for the person to answer the call.

“Hi, did I wake you up?”

“You did, I was on the verge of falling asleep when my phone vibrated.”

“Oh, I’m sorry. I just…” Lisa pauses for a while. “I just finished work, and I don’t feel like going home. I wanna see you,” She hears a sigh from the person on the phone.

“You know I can’t. Not right now.”

“Your house’s lights are off, where are you?”

“Are you outside?”

“Yeah, I’m in my car.”

“Oh, god, Lisa. You’re making this difficult for us. You know I can’t go out right now.”

“Where are you particularly in the house?”

“Lisa, you’re not listening,” The woman pauses. “I’m in the kitchen.”

“Then it’s easier to sneak out!”

“Lisa, please, not now. He will probably notice that I’m gone.”

“Jennie, please. I miss you so much. I just want to see you. I promise.”

Jennie looks at the wall clock; it’s 12:32 AM. She sighs; she doesn’t want to go out at this hour because it’s risky but deep down she really wants to see her. “Okay. Fine. Wait for me there,” She hangs the phone and fixes her nightwear. She stealthily walks out of the kitchen and goes out of the back of their house. She looks for Lisa’s car and recognizes it from meters away. She walks to where Lisa’s car is. The car window goes down and she finds Lisa wearing an oversized brown hoodie. “Hop in. I’ll take you somewhere nice,” Lisa says, smiling sweetly.