Olfaction 4

Angels Creek

Seulgi stands in front of everyone in the class, introducing herself.

“Ms. Kang, could you take off your mask, so everyone can see your face, please?” Mrs. Davis reprimands. “You can put it back on after introducing yourself. Did you catch a cold?”

“No, miss. I have an olfactory disorder,” Seulgi answers.

“I see,” Ms. Davis changes her tone to a nicer one, she feels sorry for the girl. Then, she lets Seulgi introduce herself to everyone. They are looking at her but not all are attentive or enthusiastic. It’s their first period after all. After Seulgi introduces herself, Ms. Davis tells Seulgi to take the seat at the back and begins her lesson. “Wake up everyone, let’s embark on Franz Kafka’s Metamorphosis.”

Seulgi sits down and draws out her notebook and pen as she listens to the lecture. She hasn’t read Metamorphosis yet, but she knows about Franz Kafka’s fictional world. If she would describe the events of her life, it felt like Kafkaesque – senseless, disorienting, and menacing of complexity. She sighs in the realization that she is definitely back to school.

When the Literature class is over, Seulgi is called by Ms. Davis for her weekly test and the extra credit to catch up with the class. Ms. Davis tells her to make an essay about Kafkaesque and how she can relate it to the modern world. She tells her that if she can give her a great essay, she will give her two perfect grades for the weekly test. Seulgi is up for the challenge as it’s a deal that is hard to pass. Seulgi thanked her teacher for the kind offer, considering she has more subjects than her classmates, not to mention taking the weekly test; it is a torture.

It’s time for her Science class. Again, the teacher tells her to introduce herself to everyone. She knew it would be the same for the next classes since it’s her first day of school. The Science teacher is giving them instructions about the project, so he gives them time to talk to their lab partners. Since the class has an odd number of students, the teacher gives Seulgi different instructions to give her extra credit to compensate for being late for the school year; he calls her and talks about it outside the classroom.

“Ms. Kang, you don’t have to do the test.”

Seulgi is surprised by what the teacher has told her.

“Let’s just say it’s not needed,” he saw Seulgi’s baffled reaction. “Don’t you think it’s better for you? I heard you had an accident.”

Seulgi looks at the side and sees the missing poster. She looks back to her teacher. “Won’t it be unfair to others who have the same case?”

“You’re a special case, Ms. Kang,” The teacher replies. “It’s better if you just keep quiet about it.”

Seulgi is confused; she thinks it is unfair to other students that she’ll just pass without shedding a sweat, but she just nods in agreement. When they finished discussing, Seulgi sits in her seat, minding her own business while everyone is discussing the project.

“Hi, I’m Hannah. Hannah Harper,” The girl introduces herself to Seulgi, she is a little curious about her.

“Seulgi Kang,” She looks at Hannah, the latter seems religious looking. She has her hair tied neatly, her clothes are modest, and she wears a crucifix necklace.

“I’m sorry to ask you this.”

Somehow Seulgi feels she knows what she is about to ask, maybe it is about her wearing a mask or her accident.

“Were you given a lot of assignments to compensate for being a late enrollee?”

Seulgi is wrong, it isn’t about it. “I can’t say it’s a lot.”

“Lucky, may I ask why you were enrolled late?”

“I had a car accident six months ago.”

“Oh,” Hannah feels bad for asking. She wished she didn't ask. “I'm sorry, it must've been tough for you.”

“No, it’s alright.”

“Where do you eat lunch?”

“Umm… Cafeteria?” Seulgi thinks where else could she possibly eat, in the restroom?

Hannah chuckles. “No, I mean, where do you sit, eat lunch with.”

“Oh, I eat alone.”

“If you'd like, you can sit with us. My friends are open to new people. They'll be glad to have you eat with us.”

“Will do. Thank you for the invitation,” Seulgi smiles.

After the Science class, Seulgi goes out of the classroom to attend her next class. The hallway is crowded as usual. A tall skinny Asian girl who is wearing a black leather jacket accidentally bumps her. Seulgi’s books fall on the floor. “Oh , sorry!” The girl shouts as she runs away. Seulgi sighs looking at the Asian girl who seems to be in a hurry. She didn’t mind her and picks up her books and goes to her locker to get her World History book. Suddenly, she smells something citrusy; she pulls down her mask to make sense of it. She shrugs it off, thinking it’s her Phantosmia. But the more she ignores it the scent becomes stronger, more citrusy. She also smells the scent of freshly cut grass. She looks around but it seems strange for the school to smell like it. She walks to her next class, anxious about her disorder but she can’t shrug off the feeling that there is something strange. She couldn’t pinpoint what but she knows it isn’t good. Curiosity pushes her to follow the mixed scent that leads her to the school gym. There is nobody there but she can smell it inside the sports equipment room. She follows the scent as it is getting stronger and stronger. She opens the door and sees the female student pushing the male PE teacher away from her. Seulgi is surprised by what she just saw. The PE teacher walks away like nothing happened, his scent was like strong citrus that stung Seulgi’s nasal. She scrunches her nose as she puts her mask back on; puzzled. She looks back at the female student who is tensed. There is something of her that looks familiar, and the more she looks at her the more she recognizes her.

“Irene?” Seulgi hasn’t seen her in a long time since she had left the town. Irene’s parents moved to Angels Creek when she was ten years old. They were classmates in their fourth grade; they were seatmates to be exact. Irene was a quiet and timid girl; Seulgi was the first one to talk to her. She approached Irene in a manner that wasn’t forceful to become friends; she didn’t want to be annoying. She liked Irene because she felt connected to her since they were the only Asians in the class, specifically the only Koreans; so she wanted to get closer to her. Since Irene didn’t talk much in class, Seulgi always made the first move. There was a time when Irene forgot to bring her art materials; Seulgi lent her art materials to her. Eventually, Irene became comfortable around her and talked to her more. They became best friends visiting each other’s houses, hanging around with each other, and going out with each other’s family outings. Until one-day Seulgi left the town; they promised to write letters to each other. Unfortunately, they just stopped communicating. Seulgi thought, maybe, life just hit them on a whim; they were in middle school, new environment, new friends, and being thirteen. But seeing Irene in front of her makes her sentimental. She stares at her, noticing how fine-looking Irene has become. Puberty did really hit her hard.

“How did you know I was here?” Irene asks.

“Wait, don’t you remember me?”

“I know who you are,” Irene’s reply makes Seulgi taken aback by her tone, she seems different. “I was asking how you knew someone was here.”

“I smelled…” Seulgi contemplates before what she is about to say; she knows it will sound ridiculous if she’ll say she followed the scent of citrus and freshly cut grass. “…something,” She says. It was a dumb answer but she doesn’t know what else to say that is believable. Even if she is in Irene’s shoes, she won’t believe it either.

“You smelled something?” Irene raises her left eyebrow; skeptical.

 

“Y-yeah,” Seulgi replies.

They are quiet for a while, not knowing what to say to each other. Seulgi has many things to ask her; she wants to catch up with her. Unfortunately, she doesn’t know where to begin; she is dazed by her thoughts. Until the second bell has rung, it was time to begin the class. Seulgi stands there like a Pompeii statue.

“Are you just going to stand there?”

Seulgi is startled. “Right! I’m late for World History class.”

“Well, what are the odds? It’s my next class too,” Irene replies.

The two of them go to their class; they apologize for being late. Since it’s Seulgi’s first day of school, she has to introduce herself to everyone. The teacher tells Seulgi to sit at the vacant seat beside Irene. When Seulgi walks towards her seat, she feels like she’s walking in outer space, her paces feel like she is floating. As soon as Seulgi takes a seat, she feels oddly weird. It’s like how it was before when they were in fourth grade, but this time is different, Irene is different, she too is different; both of them are not the same as they were before. Seulgi would occasionally steal glances at her. She feels the gaps between them. They were very close to each other when they were young, and now it seems that Irene isn’t the same Irene that she knew.

 

Seulgi can’t focus on her class, her mind is on Irene.

 

After the class, Seulgi didn’t have the chance to talk to Irene; the latter was in a hurry. She realizes that the friendship they once had was gone. It breaks her heart that they aren’t the same as before. How can she expect that everything will be the same after years of no communication? Does she expect that Irene will just let it slide and be friends with her again? It has been five years. Even the town has changed. How is it different for people?

After school, she immediately goes home, feeling blue. Seulgi rings the doorbell. Eleonor opens the door, carrying Elena. “Welcome home. How’s your first day of school? Did you make any friends?”

Seulgi enters the house, takes off her mask, and forces a smile. “It was great. Everyone was friendly,” She lies.

“Good to hear that. By the way, could you look after Elena for me? I’m cooking for dinner. Byung Wook messaged me that he’ll be coming home today,” She hands Elena to Seulgi.

“Didn’t you say he’ll be back tomorrow?”

“Change of plans, I guess?” Eleonor shrugs. “Well, I'll be cooking now.”

Seulgi takes Elena to her bedroom to look over her. About an hour and a half later, Eleonor calls them for dinner. They go downstairs to eat. When Seulgi is nearly approaching the dining room, she smells something odorous coming from there. A man wearing a gray suit is sitting at the dining table.

“Seulgi-ya, appa misses you so much!” Byung Wook grins, his eyes turn to crescents just like hers. “It's been a while,” He stands up and expecting a hug from her daughter.

Even though Seulgi communicates with her father on the phone occasionally but it has been months since she last saw him. There is an absolute change that she feels, but she can’t tell what it is.

Seulgi covers her nose when she smells a pungent odor that comes from her father. It’s strong and sharp, pricking her nasal.

 

It’s nauseating.