Evanesce

Starry Night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Why are things that will disappear so beautiful? It’s just a daydream.”—Evanesce

Ryeowook’s POV 

Mild phone buzzing and humming in the room. Another notification to wake me up on these sleepless nights. Nights are never meant for sleeping these days. I search clumsily next to my bed for my glasses without opening my eyes, then I put my glasses on. Clear eyesight empowers me to take a clear look at the scenery of a new day. A fresh reminder that I am still alive, at least for today. 

I mildly open my door and walk along the silent corridor to make an effortless move to the toilet. I feel my nose running all of a sudden. Without thinking much, I look at my reflection from the mirror and I find an obvious river of red blood falling from my nostril. 

I calmly take out few pieces of tissue to stop the blood from oozing, as if I could not care less. I do. It has become ordinary these days and I am slowly adapting to it. The deep red blemishes the whiteness of the paper. I wipe the blood under my nose away casually not long before it stops. 

I look at myself in the mirror again. The dark circles, the bony cheeks, and the fake smile. They do not look like the ordinary cheerful Kim Ryeowook. When was the last time I see that healthy and cheerful Kim Ryeowook?

Maybe that Kim Ryeowook had disappeared months ago. And he would never be back.

I put away the tissue paper into the trash can. I looked at the phone on the side of the sink. An abrupt thought comes into my head. I scroll down my contact list on my phone and I pause at his name, I click on his contact and I start typing, 

“Jongjin, are you free this afternoon? I have something to tell you.”

I wait patiently until the grey dots disappear as I place my phone beside the sink, it isn’t long before my phone started vibrating. I press on the home button and a preview is shown, 

“Sure, Mouse Rabbit Cafe, 1400.”

I switch off my phone after reading the message, the screen sink into complete darkness. Jongjin is not only Yesung hying’s brother, but also my all-time best friend. For some reason I cannot tell explicitly, my first instinct is to look for him, not even my members, not my mom and dad when I hear the news. That day I do not do so, but somewhat there is a peculiar urge from nowhere that forces me to look for him. I don’t know, perhaps I am just looking for a sign of relief, to get me out from this hell.

 

1400. Mouse Rabbit Cafe. 

I order a cup of iced Americano and I stir until the ice cubes melt into the brown coffee. The smoke swims up high in the air. I take a sip from the cup. The hotness touches the tip of my tongue, it hurts my tongue and all I tasted is bitterness. Nothing more, just like how life tastes like. 

I looked outside the transparent windows as I put down my coffee to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter