Chapter 2

The heart never lies
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

"So let me get this straight-"

"No, we're not" Joohyun cut off her bestfriend while laughing.

"Shush and let me finish" The girl on the other line said.

"Okay. Go on" Joohyun said while trying her best to stop laughing. She knows that her bestfriend will be angry at her if she continued.

"So uncle allowed you to go, but with a condition. And that is to bring Seulgi with you?"

"Yes, unfortunately" Joohyun sighed and laid back on her bed. "I don't know if I could survive two days with her around."

Jennie chuckled from the other line. "You're just exaggerating. You know Seulgi isn't as bad as you make her seem to be."

Joohyun frowned and shifted the phone to her right hand.

"Why does it sounds like you're defending her? Don't tell me you like her?!"

"To be honest. Yes. I do have a crush on her. She's attractive. But don't worry. I won't steal her away from you."

"Yah!! I don't like her okay?! She's all yours if you want" Joohyun huffed before continuing.

"I don't like that annoying, clumsy, arrogant girl!" Joohyun yelled at the phone, earning a chuckle.

"Really? You don't like her? or you still haven't figured out that you like her?" Jennie teased.

"I don't like her! Period! Why are you insisting that I like that girl anyway?"

"I'm just telling you what I've noticed, Hyunnie. I can see everything after all"

"Well I think it's time for you to get some glasses because you're vision is clearly deteriorating" Joohyun rolled her eyes.

"And if you 'can see everything', then how come you asked me about what I feel for Minhyuk oppa?" She scoffed.

"That's because I wasn't sure if you like him or not. With Seulgi, however, was different."

"Yeah, because yelling at the girl and hitting her, is my way of showing interest in her" She said sarcastically.

"Be sarcastic all you want, but I know you Joohyun. I know how act when you like someone. We've been friends since middle school after all"

"Exactly! We've known each other for a long time now. And yet you sounded like you don't know me at all"

There was a pause from the other line. And Joohyun wondered if she said something wrong. She was about to ask when Jennie spoke again.

"So you don't mind if I try to make a move on Seulgi?" Jennie said a little too excitedly for Joohyun's liking.

"W-what do you mean?" 

"I want to flirt with her and maybe tell her, I like her"

"Y-Yah! Are you crazy?!" 

"Why? You said you don't like her right? Unless you're lying?" Jennie teased again. 

"No! Of course not! I already told you I don't like that girl! I'm just saying, you should set your standards high. Don't settle for anything less" 

"Are you saying I have poor taste in woman?"

"No. What I meant was, Seulgi isn't the right girl for you." 

"Aww... Are trying to confess to me now Hyunnie?" 

"Ew! You're like my sister already! That's like !" 

"Yah! You should have at least pretended! It sounded like you were disgusted by me"

Joohyun laughed out loud. She could imagine the pout on her bestfriend's face.

"Well I don't know how to lie"

"Aish!" 

Joohyun laughed louder.

"But seriously Hyun. I really like her"

Joohyun's laughter slowly died down. She took a deep breath and release it slowly. She wondered why she suddenly felt like she was suffocating.

"I will not do anything, if you don't want me to" Jennie continued.

"I-I don't care" Joohyun cleared . "Do what ever you want. I don't care"

"Are you sure?" 

Joohyun bit her lips and then nodded.

"Yeah... um..I'll hang up now. I still have things to do"

"....Okay. Bye" 

"Bye" 

Joohyun sighed after the call ended. 

She stared at the ceiling and frowned. Wondering why she was feeling that way.

"Maybe I'm just tired. Yeah. I should just sleep it off."

She nodded to herself and then closed her eyes.

Trying hard to fall asleep.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


"Umma, are you sure you'll be okay?"

Seulgi worriedly looked at her mother as they walked out of the house

It was already Friday. The day of her trip.

And even though she's happy to be with the girl that she likes. She was still a bit hesitant to leave.

Her mother had just started undergoing chemotherapy two weeks ago and was feeling the side effects already. That's why she was worried.

"Yes. I told you. I'll be fine" Mrs. Kang reassured her daughter.

"But umma what if, god forbid, something happens? I won't be here with you" Seulgi frowned.

"I think I'll just tell uncle I won't be able to go after all." She continued.

Last week, after going home from work, Seulgi told Mrs. Kang about the short trip to busan. She also told her mother that she was having second thoughts about going.

But Mrs. Kang insisted for her to go because it was a good opportunity for her to relax and have fun, since she has been working nonstop.

She also told Seulgi that she'll ask for Mr. and Mrs. Song's, their kind neighbors, help if needed. So Seulgi won't have to worry about anything.

"Ddeulgi, you know how much they helped us. This is the only way we can repay them"

Mr. And Mrs. Bae helped them pay for the operation. That's why Mrs. Kang was so grateful to them.

She would always remind Seulgi to help the old couple at the restaurant. Even if it was not part of her job.

Seulgi sighed and shifted her heavy duffle bag from one hand to the other. 

Since they had to leave in the afternoon and it was tiring going back home, just to get the things she needed for the short trip. She decided to bring it to work instead.

"But umma-"

"Aigoo, how many times do I have to tell you not to worry? I'll be alright. Plus Uncle and Auntie, already agreed to look after me, remember?"


As if on cue the front door to the other house opened and an excited 5-year-old boy came out with an elderly couple towing behind.

"Umma noona" The boy yelled and run to Seulgi.

Seulgi chuckled.

Up until now she was still amused on how the boy would call her.

Since the boy's father works abroad and his mother died after he was born.

Seulgi became a mother figure to him. She would always try to help the boy's grandparents whenever she was free.

That's also why the boy started calling her 'umma'. Because he thought Seulgi was his mother.

They only corrected it when he was two. But the boy was already used to it. That's why they just let him call her 'umma' but with the 'noona' added instead.

"Hi Daehan-ah. Are you going to school now?"

Seulgi asked as she placed her duffle bag down. She then lifted the boy up and kissed his cheek.

Daehan smiled widely. "Yes"

"Greet Auntie first" Seulgi turned the boy to face her mother.

"Morning Auntie" The boy kissed Mrs. Kang's cheek. 

Mrs. Kang smiled and patted his head. "Morning dear. Where's teddy?" 

Teddy was the teddy bear that Seulgi gave him when he started preschool. The boy cherished it the most that he would even bring it to school.

"Here Auntie" Daehan patted his small bag.

Seulgi smiled at his cuteness and buried her nose to his neck, earning a giggle from the boy.

"Daehanie is really attached to you"

Seulgi turned to the voice and saw Mr. and Mrs. Song, walking towards them with gentle smiles on their faces.

"Well this boy right here is lovable. So it's safe to say that I'm attached to him too"

Seulgi said while smiling at the couple. She then tickled the boy's side, causing him to laugh loudly.

Mrs. Kang looked at her daughter sadly.

She knew that Seulgi was attached to the child because they have similar situation.

Seulgi thought they have similar situation.

What Seulgi didn't know was that, Mrs. Kang has been hiding a big secret, she couldn't tell Seulg

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter