Chapter 2

You Hurt Me

“Come on Baekhyun, why don’t you follow your string?” Chanyeol pestered over the phone.

Baekhyun sighed as he took off his headset and paused his game. He was on a winning streak and Chanyeol was ruining it. “Chanyeol, I just don’t want to!” He couldn’t tell his friend that he couldn’t. Not yet at least, especially not over the phone.

Chanyeol rolled his eyes as he threw himself on his bed. “Fine, I’ll stop. Are you playing?”

“Yeah I am.” Baekhyun responded. Video games were his escape from the world. It was like a place that he knew he could be someone else, even if just for a little while. It was like a stress reliever and honestly, he could even call it passion.

Baekhyun heard as Chanyeol took a big slurp of his something and chewed, “You’re really good you know.” He said with his mouth full. “You should start a YouTube channel like you’ve always wanted to. They make a lot of money and I know it would make you happy.”

Baekhyun would love if he could start his own channel where he streamed gameplays. Even as a teenager, he always said he would begin one and make it a career. But his parents never supported it and he didn’t blame them. It was risky to put it all on the line like that. He told himself he would start when he moved out. But because of school and work, he was never able to begin. “I’m not that good.” Baekhyun replied.

Chanyeol scoffed, “You’re the best player I know. Why not just give it a shot?”

“It would cost a lot to buy a good camera. And then a microphone. I got bills to pay and exams to worry about.” It wasn’t as if Baekhyun never thought about this before. It was something that was constantly on his mind. It was one of the only things that kept him from thinking about his soulmate hating him.

“If money’s an issue, then I can help you.” Chanyeol offered.

Baekhyun rolled his eyes, “I got a lot on my plate Chanyeol.”

Chanyeol sighed, “I understand. But just know I’ll be your number one fan if you ever decide to go for it.”

Baekhyun heard an alarm come from Chanyeol’s side.

“Sorry, I gotta go. I need to finish repairing a tablet for a customer.”

Where Baekhyun was a master with games, Chanyeol was extremely tech savvy. He even debated doing something with computers in the future. But as of now, he fixed people’s electronics for a small price.

“No problem, see you tomorrow.”

“Goodnight.” And with that, Chanyeol hung up.

Baekhyun smiled and put his headset on, “Now, where was I?”

***

“Baekhyun.” Kyungsoo greeted when he walked into the coffee shop the next morning. Baekhyun locked eyes with the individual who wore the same suit and tie. His silver watch seemed to be pressed harder into his skin than usual today. He used a different cologne than usual, this one was stronger than the softer one Baekhyun was used to.

“Kyungsoo.” Baekhyun responded back. Apparently they were on first name basis now.

“I’ll have my usual, since I’m your regular.” Kyungsoo said with a smile.

Baekhyun punched in the Americano into the register. “You haven’t come in enough yet to be a regular.” He told him with his eyes glued to the register.

Kyungsoo tilted his head to the side, his black hair bobbing with him. “Oh? Then I guess I have to come more often to see you then.”

Baekhyun felt his cheeks go red and he furrowed his brows. He didn’t see the triumphant grin that appeared on the latter’s face.

“By the way,” Baekhyun began as he pulled out cash from his pocket and shoved it at Kyungsoo’s chest. “I don’t need anyone paying for me. So here’s your money.”

Kyungsoo smirked and shook his head, “I have no idea what you’re talking about.”

Baekhyun’s brows furrowed even more. “The ramen.” He replied harshly.

Kyungsoo shook his head as he placed his card into the machine to pay for his Americano. “That was a gift from me to you.” He looked up to gaze into Baekhyun’s eyes. The intensity of it had Baekhyun looking away.

“So you don’t owe me anything.” Kyungsoo replied as he pulled his card out.

Baekhyun pouted, “Why’d you pay for me?”

Kyungsoo sent him a small smile, his eyes becoming gentle and shrugged his shoulders.

“You’re not going to answer?”

“You’ll know the answer someday.” Kyungsoo replied.

Baekhyun handed him his receipt and went away to make the Americano. He refused to look in his general direction anymore. He had other things to worry about, like his final exam later that day.

But Baekhyun’s eyes couldn’t help but drift over at the one that was sitting at a table waiting for his drink. His eyes were glued on his phone, and his brows were pressed together. Baekhyun wanted to know everything there was to know about Kyungsoo. Why was he stressed? Why did he come every day to get an Americano? Baekhyun imagined that he was probably a very important person. Someone who was busy constantly.

“Your Americano is ready.” Baekhyun called out.

Kyungsoo walked over to him, jaw tense and took the Americano quickly into his hand. Their fingers didn’t meet this time, something Baekhyun was hoping would happen, but would never admit.

“Thank you. I’ll be seeing you.” Kyungsoo said as he walked off.

Baekhyun didn’t take his eyes off of the latter until he was out of the coffee shop. He hoped he would see him again. He wanted nothing more than for Kyungsoo, this stranger, to enter his life.

***

Later that day, Baekhyun was studying diligently, his eyes staring at the page in his textbook. He had told himself to study last night, but finals week was giving him so much stress! He had instead spent yesterday finishing an essay that was due midnight. After clicking submit, he’s waking up to his alarm with his face planted onto the laptop.

So now, he has to focus as diligently as he can on the textbook in front of him while he’s still at work. Luckily, this was his last test of the week and after today, the semester would officially be over.

“Baekhyun!” A loud voice boomed from the other side of the coffee shop. Baekhyun jumped and nearly dropped the heavy book.

“Oh sorry, didn’t mean to startle you.”

Baekhyun sighed as he looked up to lock eyes with Chanyeol. He had a big grin on his face and eyes that shined. Baekhyun would have normally given him a piece of his mind, but the guy behind Chanyeol had Baekhyun staring in awe instead. The guy was about the same height as Chanyeol, had hair as black as Chanyeol’s, but his skin was the color of hot chocolate. He had a smile that was wide and friendly with eyes that matched.

“Oh, this is Jongin.” Chanyeol introduced.

Jongin smiled wider and gave him small bow, “So, you’re Baekhyun.” He told him as he gave him a once over. His grin got friendlier, “Hello. Nice to meet you. Chanyeol talks a lot about you.”

Baekhyun sent him a small smile, “I hope he only says good things.”

Jongin let out a small laugh, “Yeah only good, I promise. He said you were coming with us for dinner tonight right?”

“Hm?” Baekhyun had not made any plans for tonight. He’s pretty sure he would have remembered agreeing to go with Chanyeol AND his soulmate out to dinner.

“Remember, I invited you and you agreed to coming with us.” Chanyeol added as he gave Baekhyun his best puppy eyes.

Baekhyun gave him a once over and the let out a sigh. His plans were to get home and relax after finals. His plans did not involve getting home and getting dressed to go out to eat.

“If it makes you feel better,” Jongin suddenly spoke up, catching the attention of Baekhyun and Chanyeol. “A friend of mine is going too. It won’t just be us three.”

That didn’t really make Baekhyun feel any better. He didn’t want to go at all. But it felt so rude to deny the invitation right in front of Jongin. It wasn’t his fault that Chanyeol had put him in a commitment.

“I get home at around 5. So I’m free after that.” Baekhyun responded.

Jongin grinned wide. “Alright. Chanyeol and I can pick you up. Do you think 8 o clock is a good time to get to your house?”

Baekhyun nodded, “Sure. That’ll give me enough time to shower and get dressed.”

“Perfect!” Chanyeol exclaimed happily.

“I gotta study now.” Baekhyun told him hastily. He had no intention to speak to Chanyeol right now.

“I’ll be sitting here with Jongin until my shift starts.” Chanyeol told him as he walked towards one of the tables.

Baekhyun scoffed and saw as Jongin and Chanyeol sat down at a table in the corner. Jongin took Chanyeol’s hand while they sat. Baekhyun had never seen Chanyeol this happy before. He seemed different…in a good way. Baekhyun was happy for him, truly.

Baekhyun’s eyes slowly began to scan the coffee shop. He wasn’t looking for anyone…at least not too diligently. He had other things he needed to worry about, like his final test for example. He wet his lips and his eyes darted down to his textbook. Kyungsoo should be the last thing on his mind.

***

After his final was over and he turned it in, Baekhyun felt a huge weight be lifted from his shoulders. He was finally free to be able to do anything he wanted. The first thing he wanted to do is sleep, but he had made a promise to go out with Chanyeol and his soulmate.

He got to his apartment and let his bag fall off his shoulders and let himself fall onto the sofa. He let out a soft sigh as he shut his eyes. He felt his body going limp, but suddenly felt a vibration from his pocket. He opened his eyes to see that he had just gotten a message from Chanyeol.

[Chanyeol: Me and Jongin are picking you up at 8pm exactly! See you soon] 5:12 pm

He let out a groan and let his phone fall to the floor. He could probably sleep for a bit…just close his eyes and take a small nap…

Baekhyun woke up sometime around 6:30. He felt much better and rested, although he would have preferred to stay sleeping. He got up, yawning and stretching his arms upwards towards the ceiling. He quickly hopped in the shower, but while he was rinsing out the suds, he realized he didn’t even know what he was going to wear. He hadn’t even asked where they were planning on going out for dinner.

He shut off the water and let out a sigh. Knowing Chanyeol, it wouldn’t be anywhere fancy, and honestly, he was too tired to care right now.

Once he got out, he dried himself off and blew dry his brown hair. He picked out a simple black shirt with a black leather jacket over it. He threw on some ripped jeans and black vans. It wasn’t the fanciest outfit, but it was nice enough to be out with friends.

He looked in the mirror and realized he looked presentable. He could definetly do better if he wanted to but again, he was too tired to care.

A vibration from the bed had him turning his head, Chanyeol was calling.

“Hello?”

“Hey, we’re outside already.”

“Huh?” He looked over at the time to see it was already 8’o clock! Time went by way too fast. “I’ll be down in a bit.”

“Please don’t tell me you forgot.” Chanyeol told him with an exasperated sigh.

Baekhyun rolled his eyes. “Calm down Chanyeol. I’ll be down in a bit.” He hung up and scrunched up his nose. He doesn’t even understand why Chanyeol wanted him to go so bad. Maybe it was because they didn’t want Jongin’s friend to feel like a third wheel. If anything, Chanyeol shouldn’t push his luck. Baekhyun could easily call him back and tell him that he wasn’t going after all. But then again, he wasn’t the type of person to suddenly cancel like that.

He made his way downstairs after hanging up. He had forgotten to ask what car they were in, but once he got outside, he didn’t need to ask. A white Lamborghini stood out from the rest of the cars that were parked out in front. The lights were on and the engine was running, even stranger, Chanyeol had put the window down to wave over at Baekhyun.

“Baekhyun! Over here!” Chanyeol shouted excitedly.

Baekhyun’s mouth dropped as he eyed the car that was probably worth more than he would ever make in a year.

“Come on.” Chanyeol said as he got out of the car to pull the seat forward. “Get in the back.”

Baekhyun shook his head, “Uh…ok.” He squeezed in to get inside, plopping down into the backseat. The interior was even more beautiful than the outside. It had a minty smell inside, with plush leather seats that were actually quite comfortable. He never thought he would be able to be inside of a car like this. Jongin was in the driver’s seat with one hand on the steering wheel while the other rested on the seat. Luckily they were both dressed as Baekhyun was, casual.

“Are you hungry?” Chanyeol asked after he climbed back inside. Jongin began driving off after making sure there were no cars coming.

It took Baekhyun a while to process that Chanyeol was talking to him.

“Oh, yeah.” Baekhyun replied.

“You like Jongin’s car?”

Baekhyun looked over at Jongin who was smiling at him in the rearview mirror. “It’s just a car.” He said.

Baekhyun scoffed, “Just a car?” He questioned. If he so much as left a scratch on this, he would never be able to pay for the repairs.

Chanyeol looked back at him wide eyed. “That’s what I said! This is like a car that a prince would ride around in.”

Jongin laughed out loud as he shook his head, “It’s not that big a deal, really.”

When they parked at the restaurant, Baekhyun was a bit worried to leave the car. It stood out too much when compared to the rest. It was obviously worth a lot, leaving it here could result in someone stealing it.

Jongin noticed Baekhyun’s hesitance and smiled. “You’re worried?”

Baekhyun looked up at Jongin wide eyed, “I just wouldn’t want anyone doing something to your car. It must have taken a lot of hard work to afford it.”

Jongin’s smile faltered but then he grinned wide as he nodded, “That’s thoughtful of you, really. But don’t worry. If anyone gets near it, the alarm goes off.”

Baekhyun smiled, eyes going into crescents. “That’s good to hear.”

Jongin chuckled, “Wow…you’re something else huh?”

Baekhyun tilted his head to the side, “Hm? What do you mean?”

“Nothing.” Jongin replied. Baekhyun could see that Jongin was hiding something, his eyes said so. There wasn’t affection in them, more like awe and wonder. But why awe and wonder?

Chanyeol came up from behind them and grabbed onto both their shoulders. “Let’s go in?”

Jongin looked down at his phone. “My friend is here already actually. He said he saw us and is walking towards us now.”

“Oh really, where?” Chanyeol asked.

Jongin shrugged, “I don’t know.” He pouted as he looked around, “Oh! There he is!”

“Jongin!” A deep voice greeted.

Baekhyun felt himself stiffen and his heart started beating faster. That voice…please don’t let it be…

“Kyungsoo!” Jongin greeted back.

Baekhyun turned around to lock eyes with Kyungsoo, who was wearing a blue denim jacket with a white shirt underneath. His jeans matched the denim jacket, it was very unlike the usual attire Baekhyun saw him in. He seemed like a normal guy, except the watch pressed onto his wrist gave him away.

“Baekhyun.” Kyungsoo greeted, raising his eyebrow.

“You—you’re Jongin’s friend?” Baekhyun questioned.

Kyungsoo nodded, “I didn’t expect to see you here.”

Jongin bit his bottom lip to hide the smile that wanted to appear, “You guys know each other?”

“What a small world!” Chanyeol replied excitedly. He pulled on Jongin’s sleeve, “This is the guy that has been visiting the coffee shop where me and Baekhyun work at.” He told Jongin with a huge grin on his face. “I didn’t know he was your friend.”

Kyungsoo looked over at Chanyeol and smiled, “So, you’re Jongin’s soulmate. He talks a lot about you.”

Chanyeol blushed and hid behind Baekhyun, which was really no use considering that Chanyeol was a lot taller than him.

Jongin playfully shoved Kyungsoo, “Don’t expose me.”

Kyungsoo chuckled and his eyes slowly made their way to Baekhyun, “Tonight’s my lucky night.” He said with a smirk.

Baekhyun felt his cheeks going red and his heart skip a beat. God, he hated this guy. “Can we just get inside please?”

***

Once inside, the waitress placed them by a table in the corner. Baekhyun got the seat closest to the window, when he looked up, he saw Kyungsoo sitting right in front of him. The latter was laughing at something Jongin had said. Chanyeol sat next to Baekhyun, while Jongin sat across from him.

Kyungsoo turned slowly to lock eyes with Baekhyun and gave him a wink. Baekhyun quickly scoffed and shook his head as he his lips. This guy was absolutely shameless.

“What do you guys wanna order?” Jongin asked as he looked over the menu.

Chanyeol hummed as he bit his bottom lip, “Soju for sure.” He replied.

They all laughed and agreed.

“Just a little bit though.” Jongin said with a big smile.

“Can we get brisket?” Baekhyun questioned as he looked up at them from the menu.

“Of course.” Kyungsoo replied as he put his menu down. “Get whatever you guys want. It’s on me.”

Baekhyun chuckled as he bit his bottom lip, “Not today Kyungsoo. I can pay for myself.”

Jongin smirked, “Just let Kyungsoo pay for you Baekhyun.” He said as he took a sip of his water. “Don’t say no to free food.”

“Can we get samgyeopsal too?” Chanyeol added as he peeked from behind Baekhyun’s menu.

Was Baekhyun the only one uncomfortable with having someone pay for him? Why wasn’t Chanyeol saying anything?

“You can have whatever you want.” Jongin answered as he extended his hand and held Chanyeol’s.

A waitress suddenly appeared and placed side dishes in front of them, “Good evening.” She greeted. “Are you ready to order yet?”

“Yeah,” Kyungsoo began as he straightened up. “How much meat could we order at first?”

“Up to three at a time.” She answered

“Alright, we’ll start off with beef brisket and samgyeopsal for now.”

She smiled as she nodded, “Alright, if you need anything else you can let me know.”

“And some soju please.” Chanyeol added with a bright smile on his face.

She giggled as she nodded briskly, “Of course. What flavor?”

“Peach.” Chanyeol replied.

She walked off, her black ponytail bouncing behind her.

“So, are you guys friends or what?” Jongin asked as he took a sip of his water and looked over at Baekhyun and Kyungsoo.

Baekhyun reached for some kimchi as he answered, “What makes you say that?”

Jongin chuckled, “Your reaction when you saw him outside.”

Baekhyun stopped mid chew, but continued chewing hoping that no one noticed. How had he acted outside? Did he do anything stupid?

“I met Baekhyun at the coffee shop he works at. I go in there for my Americano in the morning.” Kyungsoo interjected as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. Kyungsoo had such a way to make things seem normal. He acted like he wasn’t flirting with Baekhyun….much like how he was doing now with that little smirk he sent Baekhyun. The elder felt his cheeks go hot and he looked away immediately. How was he going to get through this without revealing that he found Kyungsoo VERY attractive?

“Here is the meat you ordered, and the soju as well.” The waitress said as she placed everything onto the table.

Baekhyun looked up at the soju and smiled. That’s how.

***

“Chanyeol,” Baekhyun began as he swayed on top of Chanyeol, “You know, you’re my best friend.”

Chanyeol shook his head as he tried to keep Baekhyun steady, “Yeah, I know.”

Baekhyun let out a laugh as he leaned further into Chanyeol, “And also…you’re so lucky to have your soulmate, ya know?”

Jongin walked next to Chanyeol, Kyungsoo walked next to Baekhyun. He was surprisingly close to the latter. Baekhyun suddenly stumbled on his feet and leaned forward. Kyungsoo extended his hand and quickly grabbed onto Baekhyun’s arm. Again, that static went up Baekhyun and had him feeling all fuzzy inside. Go away stupid feelings!

He tried straightening up, but his legs felt like jello. Just how much did he drink?

“Do you mind if I take him home?” Kyungsoo asked. “I want to make sure he gets home safe.”

Baekhyun leaned into Kyungsoo a bit, causing the younger to wrap his arms around his waist.

Chanyeol shook his head and pulled Baekhyun back, “Yeah I mind. It’s not that I think you’re a bad person, but I just met you. I can’t trust you to be alone with him.”

Jongin placed a hand on Chanyeol’s shoulder, “Chanyeol, you can trust Kyungsoo alone with him. He’s only offering because he knows I need to be home now.”

Chanyeol looked over at him, “What does that have to do with anything?”

“I don’t know if I have time to take Baekhyun home myself.” Jongin explained.

Chanyeol bit his lip and looked down at Baekhyun who had half lidded eyes. He was so out of it.

“I don’t know…”

“I swear on my life that I won’t let anything happen to him.” Kyungsoo said.

Chanyeol looked over and saw the sincerity in Kyungsoo’s eyes. Just who was Kyungsoo? Why did he care for Baekhyun so much?

“If I hear that anything happened to Baekhyun,” Chanyeol warned as he slowly let his grip on Baekhyun go.

Kyungsoo smiled as he looked at Baekhyun who was practically asleep. The elder gently went into Kyungsoo’s arms and closed his eyes slowly. Baekhyun suddenly felt so warm…and safe.

“I would kill myself before letting anything happen to Baekhyun.” Kyungsoo said as he wiped the elder’s bangs out of his face.

Chanyeol found it so strange how he treated Baekhyun as his soulmate. Baekhyun had already confirmed that Kyungsoo wasn’t. What he found even stranger, however, was how he believed Kyungsoo. The way he held Baekhyun securely in his arms while making sure that he was also being gentle with him made Chanyeol feel better on leaving him alone with Kyungsoo.

“Where’s your car?” Chanyeol asked.

“Over there.” Kyungsoo gestured to a white Maserati parked on the opposite end of where they had parked.

Chanyeol opened his mouth to say something, but Jongin took his hand and squeezed, “Don’t worry Chanyeol, Baekhyun is safe with Kyungsoo.”

Chanyeol let out a sigh and nodded as he saw Kyungsoo place Baekhyun in the backseat of the car. Baekhyun slid in easily and laid down, his head landing gently onto the seats.

“You’ll take care of him?” Chanyeol asked one last time, his head peeking into the backseat of Kyungsoo’s car.

Kyungsoo nodded, “You have my word.”

“Kyungsoo will take Baekhyun home safely, I promise.” Jongin reassured again. He could see that Chanyeol was visibly anguished over this and he understood. Baekhyun was Chanyeol’s best friend, one could even argue that he saw Baekhyun as a brother.

Chanyeol told Kyungsoo where Baekhyun lived and the apartment number. He also swore that if he found out something happened to Baekhyun on the way back, then he would make sure that Kyungsoo didn’t get away with it.

Kyungsoo wasn’t scared, he knew for a fact that he wouldn’t do anything to Baekhyun.

Baekhyun slept most of the way there, but he remembers feeling leather under his cheek. He turned over at one point and opened his half lidded eyes.

“Chanyeol?” He called out. He extended his hand, reaching out for Chanyeol’s, but he was met with a seat in front of him. “Are we going home?” Baekhyun asked.

“I’m taking you home Baekhyun.”

Baekhyun pouted and tried sitting up, but his head ached terribly. He felt his head suddenly start spinning and laid back down quickly. “You’re not…Chanyeol?”

“I’m not. But I’m someone that cares for you very much.”

Baekhyun searched his mind for answers, but came up empty. He just knows that whoever this was, he felt secure with them. “Ok…” he replied. He shut his eyes again and let the road lull him back to sleep.