Chapter 9

You Hurt Me

Kyungsoo heard the alarm go off and he extended his hand to hit the snooze button. He clicked the button on the alarm and wrapped his arm around Baekhyun. It would go off again in a bit and then he would wake up before Baekhyun. Then he would get dressed and make breakfast for everyone…

Or at least, that was what his plan was. He wanted to wake up before Baekhyun. But he hadn’t actually hit the snooze button. He had instead shut the alarm off. He dozed off quickly with his hand resting atop of Baekhyun’s exposed waist. His shirt had come up from the turning from last night, causing exposed skin that lay under Kyungsoo’s wrist.

Baekhyun opened his eyes an hour after the alarm had initially gone off. He let out a yawn and snuggled into the person behind him. He let out a smile as he inhaled the scent. Memories from last night flooded his mind and he felt a sense of euphoria. He shut his eyes again and focused on the skin that was touching his own. Kyungsoo’s hand was so soft. Baekhyun reached down to intertwine their fingers.

Why did he suddenly feel so bold? Well, he had already kissed him last night. What’s holding his hand going to do?

He traced Kyungsoo’s arm with his fingers delicately and traveled towards Kyungsoo’s hand. It slid down to his elbow, then his wrist…

Hm?

Baekhyun felt something wrapped around Kyungsoo’s wrist, it was thin and soft. He opened his eyes slowly as he clung to it with his forefinger and thumb. His eyes traveled down and that’s when he saw it. A red ribbon tied around Kyungsoo’s wrist. It was torn and an exact replica to his own.

Baekhyun was wide awake now and his mouth opened wide as he glanced at his own string, then back at Kyungsoo’s. Is it possible that…Kyungsoo was his…? Baekhyun’s shock was immediately replaced with anger. Kyungsoo had been lying to him this whole time?!

He gritted his teeth together and threw Kyungsoo’s arm off, waking the latter up.

“Huh?” Kyungsoo questioned, grogginess evident.

Baekhyun sprung off the bed and quickly made a beeline for the door.

“Baekhyun?” Kyungsoo questioned. He got off the bed and ran towards him, stopping him in his tracks once he was in front of him. “What’s wrong?” He asked.

Both of them were fully awake now, their emotions had quickly woken them up.

“What’s wrong?” Baekhyun asked sarcastically, a smile playing on his lips. He let out a laugh, “What’s wrong he asks…”

Kyungsoo swallowed, “Yes, what’s wr—“

“Look at your ing wrist!”

Kyungsoo’s heart dropped. He hadn’t been able to wake up before Baekhyun like he wanted. Crap! He shut his eyes tightly and pierced his lips together. He didn’t need to look down to know that his wrist was exposed and perfectly visible for Baekhyun to see.

“Nothing to say?” Baekhyun asked. His fists were tightened by his sides and his eyes glared into Kyungsoo. He can’t remember the last time he had been this angry.

“I—was going to tell you—“

“I am such an idiot!” Baekhyun yelled. He thought and suddenly had an epiphany, “Your stupid watch…” That watch covered it the whole time. Ever since they had met, Kyungsoo’s watch had stood out to Baekhyun. Was it his subconscious trying to tell him? The watch was always pressed so tightly against his wrist, now he understood why. 

“Baekhyun please---“

“Don’t!” Baekhyun shouted. “Don’t touch me! You liar! I hate you!”

Kyungsoo’s eyes watered at the sound of those words. He felt his heart drop to his stomach, just like it did the first time.

Your soulmate hates you.

The voice echoed in his head over and over again. He swallowed the lump in his throat and spoke softly, “No, don’t say that.” He pleaded. “I’ll tell you whatever you want. I’ll come clean right now.”

“You tore the string then lied to me!” Baekhyun shouted.

Kyungsoo’s face twisted into confusion, then he realized what Baekhyun meant. Baekhyun still didn’t understand, but it was fine. Baekhyun didn’t need to know. It would bring him more pain if he knew.

“Ok…yes.” Kyungsoo replied. “I—“ He swallowed, “I tore it. But—“

“Is that why you bought all those gifts?” Baekhyun asked angrily. “Were you trying to buy me!? You’re such a ing !”

“NO! I didn’t want to buy you!” Kyungsoo responded back. “I would never—“

“I don’t want your ty gifts! I want nothing to do with you! I hate you!”

Baekhyun shoved past Kyungsoo and didn’t turn back.

“Baekhyun!”

Kyungsoo reached for Baekhyun, a failed attempt at trying to get him to come back and explain his side of things. He squeezed Baekhyun’s wrist softly, “If you would just—“

He heard a soft whimper and saw Baekhyun’s shoulders trembling. Kyungsoo’s eyes widened.

“You hurt me…” Baekhyun said in a hushed whisper as he pulled away.

Kyungsoo made no attempt anymore. There was nothing he could say to alleviate his pain. If anything, his explanation would only bring more sorrow to the latter.

Baekhyun was out the door in an instant. Kyungsoo let out a heavy sigh and crumbled onto the floor. Tears rolled down his face and he let out gentle sobs. No amount of money in the world could ease this pain. He would give it all up if he was given the choice. He wanted Baekhyun…he wanted his soulmate.

A couple of seconds passed by when Kyungsoo heard the door swing open. Jongin stood by it, eyes wide in shock.

“Kyungsoo?” He questioned as he knelt next to him and held his shoulders. “Are you ok?”

Kyungsoo shook his head, “He knows.”

Jongin furrowed his brows, but his question was quickly answered when he looked down at Kyungsoo’s wrist. His grip on Kyungsoo tightened, “Did you tell him?”

“He found out.”

Jongin nodded. He could understand why Baekhyun would be upset by this, but that was no reason to yell the way he was.

“Did you tell him the truth?”

Kyungsoo sniffled, “He knows now. Why should I—“

“No, I mean…” Jongin’s voice cut off and he swallowed. “The truth.”

Kyungsoo sniffled, “No and I’m not going to. It’ll hurt him too much.”

“So what? Just give you all the blame?”

Kyungsoo nodded.

Jongin scoffed and shook his head. It was unfair for his best friend to be this devastated, especially when the truth was so different.

“It’s not fair.”

“I love him Jongin.”

Jongin shook his head, “Stop lying to him then.”

“I’m doing it to protect him.”

Jongin stood up and shook his head. “I’m not going to stand by and just…let this…this…injustice take place!”

Jongin stormed out of the room, running downstairs. As he got further from Kyungsoo, the pleas began to die down. Instead, he saw Baekhyun and Chanyeol downstairs. His goal was to finally let Baekhyun know the truth…nothing but the truth.

***

Baekhyun ran into the kitchen, tears falling down his cheeks. He used his arm to cover his eyes as best he could. He made his way to the door to run outside. Maybe he could get lost in the woods and never have to come back. Or maybe fall down and hit his head hard, maybe get amnesia.

“Baekhyun?” He heard a deep voice call out.

Crap! Baekhyun thought.

Chanyeol grabbed onto Baekhyun’s wrist, tugging on him so he wouldn’t leave.

“Baekhyun?”

Baekhyun refused to look at him, he didn’t want Chanyeol to see him like this. He pulled so that he could escape Chanyeol’s grip. But the latter kept his hold.

“Baekhyun, what’s wrong?”

Baekhyun sniffled and let out a heavy sigh, “Kyungsoo, he’s my…”

Chanyeol tilted his head, “Did he hurt you?”

Baekhyun the inside of his cheek. The word was hard to say. “Soulmate.”

“Huh!?”

Baekhyun his lips, “He knew he was my soulmate and still hid it from me.”

Chanyeol’s mouth dropped and his grip on Baekhyun’s arm loosened. “He’s—“

“He tore the string and lied about it.”

Chanyeol locked eyes with Baekhyun. That night began replaying in his mind over and over. But he couldn’t bring himself to tell him.

“Baekhyun I—“

“Baekhyun!” A voice called out.

Jongin stormed towards the both of them. He saw nothing but red. “Ay, I gotta talk to you.” He said.

“He’s not in the mood Jongin.”

“He’s gonna listen whether he wants to or not.”

“Not now Jongin.” Chanyeol warned.

Jongin shook his head. “I’m tired of babying him. That’s all Kyungsoo’s been doing, it’s time to learn the hard truth.”

“What hard truth?” Baekhyun questioned.

Chanyeol furrowed his brows, “Wait, did you know that Kyungsoo was his soulmate?”

Jongin looked over at him, “Kyungsoo asked me not to tell anyone.”

Chanyeol’s eyes widened in shock. “You hid this from me!? He’s my best friend!”

“Chanyeol, Kyungsoo asked me to.”

Chanyeol shook his head, “I see you’re a liar too.” He told him, face serious and eyes cold.

“Me?” Jongin questioned. “You been keeping a secret from your best friend for at least a year. Don’t you think it’s time to reveal it?” He looked towards Baekhyun and opened his mouth to speak.

Chanyeol grabbed onto Jongin’s wrist, “Don’t you dare.” He told him menacingly.  

“So just let my friend suffer for his—“ He stopped mid-sentence and he looked at his wrist. Baekhyun couldn’t see what was happening, but Jongin’s red string was thinning out.

Baekhyun saw the look of panic in Jongin’s eyes how his lip suddenly quivered and he shook his head slowly.

“Chanyeol, stop.”

Chanyeol raised an eyebrow, “Strings thin out when one soulmate is under a lot of stress or feeling some kind of resentment towards the other.”

Jongin gulped, “I know. But you know it makes me nervous to see our strings so thin!”

“Then stop doing what you’re doing! Don’t say anything!”

Baekhyun remembered how his string would be thin most of the time, but he was taught differently. He was taught that when the string is thinning out, that your soulmate was tearing it.

“Stop!” Baekhyun shouted as he grabbed onto Chanyeol’s wrist. “Don’t tear it!”

Jongin looked at him, “It won’t tear like that! Don’t act like you don’t know how to tear a string!”

“I don’t!” Baekhyun shouted back. It wasn’t like he was the one that tore the string.

“Shut up Jongin!” Chanyeol yelled.

Jongin glared at Baekhyun, “It’s not fair that Kyungsoo lives with this guilt! It’s—“

“Stop!” Kyungsoo shouted from the top of the stairs. “It was me! All me! I—“

“Just tell him the truth!” Jongin shouted back.

“What truth?!” Baekhyun yelled. The stress and anguish was getting to him. “What are you guys hiding?!”

All three of them looked at him, Kyungsoo’s eyes were wide with worry. Jongin’s eyes were wide with fury. Chanyeol’s eyes held compassion and sorrow.

“Kyungsoo didn’t—“

“Shut up Jongin! Yes I did!”

“You tore the string Baekhyun.” Chanyeol said finally. The guilt was eating at him. Deep down he knew he needed to tell Baekhyun the truth.

To Baekhyun, it was as if time had stopped. He blinked twice and slowly shook his head. “N—no.” He said slowly. “No I didn’t.”

“You repressed the memory.” Chanyeol told him. “I’ll tell you exactly what happened that night.”