Chapter 4

You Hurt Me

“Ready for tomorrow?” Chanyeol asked as he nudged Baekhyun with his shoulder. They had been given the same shift, meaning that Chanyeol was going to continue teasing him all day.

Baekhyun pierced his lips together. Chanyeol had arranged a hangout for the four of them tomorrow. It’s not that Baekhyun didn’t want to get to know Kyungsoo, he was just so nervous.

“Loosen up Baekhyun.” Chanyeol said. “It’s going to be fun.”

“You haven’t even told me what we’re doing or what time we’re meeting up or anything.” Baekhyun told him as he pouted.

Chanyeol grabbed whipped cream and made a perfect swirl on the blended coffee he had just made. “It’s a surprise.” He answered with a smile. “But we’re swinging by your apartment at 2. So be ready by then.”

Baekhyun scoffed and shook his head as he looked at the clock. “It’s time for me to go.”

Chanyeol looked over at him, “I still got an hour.”

Baekhyun began walking to the back to clock out. “Good luck.”

Chanyeol sent him a small wave. “See you tomorrow. Shower and rest today.”

Baekhyun waved back and walked into the back. He removed his apron and clocked out.

Now that he was out in the street and on his way home, he felt even more nervous. He would be face to face with Kyungsoo again. The last time he had seen Jongin and Kyungsoo, Baekhyun had been very rude.

He let out a sigh as he shoved the key into his front door and turned the knob. Chanyeol said to shower and rest today. Does that mean that he had planned something big for tomorrow?

The thought of being alone with Kyungsoo made his head spin. He made his way into the shower, shut his eyes, and let the warm water his face. How could he act normal tomorrow? If the thing making him nervous was Kyungsoo, then he could normalize him by texting him beforehand…

His eyes swung open and he began to rub the water off of his face and squeezed shampoo into his hands. How could he possibly text Kyungsoo beforehand? There was no way the latter would reply. He probably thought Baekhyun was beyond rude. He hadn’t even thanked him properly for driving him home.

But, he did have Kyungsoo’s number…

No! No! No!

Then again…

He sighed and shut off the water. He dried himself off and threw on some sweats and loose t shirt. He grabbed his phone and messaged the number that Kyungsoo had written on that paper a couple days ago.

[Hey, it’s Baekhyun.] 5:09 PM

He placed his phone on the sink and began brushing his wet hair and putting on moisturizer.

There was no way that Kyungsoo would reply to him, he thought as he patted the moisturizer into his skin. Kyungsoo was too busy anyway. He was probably doing…whatever Kyungsoo does.

His phone suddenly vibrated.

He gasped and reached for it quickly. One new message.

He immediately opened the notification to see that it was just Chanyeol.

[Chanyeol: See ya tomorrow!] 5:12 PM

Baekhyun rolled his eyes and got out of the bathroom. How dare he get so excited? Calm down heart, Kyungsoo’s just a regular guy. A guy who Baekhyun shouldn’t like so much.

He went into his kitchen to make himself some ramen with sausage. His phone vibrated again, probably Chanyeol again, or him mom checking up on him—but no. This time, it was Kyungsoo.

His eyes widened and he left the water boiling.

[Kyungsoo: Hey Baekhyun! How are you? You ready for tomorrow?] 5:29 PM

Baekhyun gulped and debated waiting to reply. He placed the ramen noodles into the boiling water and then back to his phone.

[Baekhyun: I’m fine. I’m a little nervous to be honest.] 5:32 PM

He went right back to his meal. It quickly cooked and he placed the ramen noodles into a bowl. He looked back at his phone to see that Kyungsoo hadn’t replied. He wasn’t even sure if he was going to reply anymore.

He took his bowl and sat in front of the television. He took a big slurp of noodles and began flipping the channels to find something to watch. His phone began ringing, catching his attention. His eyes widened when he saw that Kyungsoo was calling him. Should he answer? Let it go to voicemail?

He swallowed the noodles currently in his mouth and shoved his pride aside. He put the phone by his ear and took in a big exhale.

“Hello?” He answered in a shaky voice.

“Hey Baekhyun, you’re not busy are you?”

Kyungsoo sounded so confident over the phone. Baekhyun couldn’t help but blush at the sound of his voice. “No,” He answered. “Just watching tv.”

“That’s good. I want to talk with you. But messaging for me could get annoying because I’m doing paperwork too.”

Baekhyun giggled, “So calling me is better?”

“Yeah, I can hear your voice, get my work done, and talk to you.”

Baekhyun smiled wide and felt his chest warm up in happiness. “Well yeah, I can watch tv, eat, and talk to you. So I guess it’s a win for me too.”

“Wow really? You like talking to me?”

Baekhyun let out soft chuckle, “Actually, I wanted to apologize for the other day.”

“The other day? What happened the other day?”

“I was kind of rude to you. I was hungover, and I didn’t properly thank you for taking care of me.”

“You NEVER have to apologize to me.” Kyungsoo emphasized the word never and continued, “I should apologize to you. I just want to get to know you so I guess I kind of pushed it. I know were still strangers and I shouldn’t force myself into your life like that.”

Baekhyun chewed the bite he had just taken slowly. Kyungsoo was a complete sweetheart. Maybe it was ok to flirt with him…just a little. But first he needed to ask a question.

“I want to get to know you too. But I also know you have a soulmate. I don’t want to disrespect them in any way.”

Kyungsoo let out a small laugh over the phone and let out a sigh. “My soulmate…well…they hate me. So, you don’t need to worry.”

Baekhyun’s eyes widened. Is it possible that Kyungsoo’s story was similar to Baekhyun’s? Was Kyungsoo’s string torn?

“Have you met your soulmate?” Baekhyun asked, suddenly curious.

Kyungsoo stayed quiet on the other line.

“Sorry, I shouldn’t have asked.”

“Never apologize to me Baekhyun. I mean that. I was just thinking. You did nothing wrong.”

Baekhyun was unsure what to say. He wasn’t ready to tell Kyungsoo about his torn string. What right did he have to ask Kyungsoo about his own string?

“Baekhyun, what are you thinking?” Kyungsoo asked. His voice sounded genuinely concerned. Baekhyun thought, maybe he could allow himself to fall. Maybe it was ok to flirt back with Kyungsoo.

“I’m wondering if it’s a double date tomorrow.” Baekhyun answered. “ ‘cause if it is, I would be more than ok with that.”

Kyungsoo felt his eyes swell up and he smiled wide. He blinked away the tears and covered his mouth to try and hide his enthusiasm. “Yeah.” He answered. “It’s a double date.”

Baekhyun grinned wide and felt his cheeks heat up, “Alright Kyungsoo, I’ll be your date then.”

Kyungsoo and Baekhyun spent the rest of the night talking on the phone. They spoke about their likes, dislikes, and stories of their past. Baekhyun didn’t even notice the hours passing by until he felt his eyes starting to get heavy.

Kyungsoo was so easy to talk to and Baekhyun felt so comfortable with him. Kyungsoo was secretly funny and flirty. But Baekhyun kept up. He even got Kyungsoo to stutter at one point which had Baekhyun laughing hysterically.

“Alright Baekhyun,” Kyungsoo said. “You win.” 

Baekhyun scoffed as he turned off all the lights of his apartment. “I always do.” He replied smugly. “What time is it by the way?” Baekhyun glanced at a clock hanging on his wall and saw that it was going to be 3 in the morning. His mouth dropped, “Oh my God! It’s 3!”

“Wow really? I have a meeting in four hours.” Kyungsoo laughed on the other end.

“What?! Go to sleep!”

“Do I have to? That means I have to hang up on you.” Kyungsoo whined.

Baekhyun bit his tongue as he threw himself on his bed. “Yeah, you have to.”

Kyungsoo sighed, “Yeah, I guess I do. By the way, what time are you leaving your house?”

Baekhyun pierced his lips together, “Actually, Chanyeol and Jongin and picking me up at 2.”

“Oh really?”

“Yeah, I have no idea what we’re doing.”

“Ah…what if I pick you up instead? Jongin’s car is cramped.”

“I think we’re taking Chanyeol’s car.”

“Nope, Jongin told me that he was picking up Chanyeol tomorrow.”

Baekhyun pouted. He was under the impression that Chanyeol was picking him and Jongin up.

“I don’t mind picking you up. At 2 right?”

Baekhyun didn’t mind getting picked up by Jongin. But he kind of wanted Kyungsoo to pick him up…

“What if I pick you up?” Baekhyun asked.

“I wouldn’t mind. But it would be difficult to get you through the gate.”

“Hm? Gate? What do you mean?”

“Um…well…it’s just a little complicated. I still live with my parents and I would have to explain to them. And they’re kind of difficult sometimes and…it’ll just be complicated.”

Baekhyun could tell that there was something Kyungsoo wasn’t telling him. Maybe Kyungsoo’s home life wasn’t exactly this picture perfect family that Baekhyun was used to seeing.

“Alright fine. But I can pick you up one day right?”

“Oh, you mean there’s gonna be more than one date?  A date where it’ll just be you and me?”

“If you keep this up, then yeah, there will be another one.”

Kyungsoo chuckled, “Alright Baekhyun. You already said yes.”

Baekhyun laughed and turned over in bed. “For reals now. Go to bed!”

Kyungsoo and Baekhyun finally got off the phone sometime around 3:30 in the morning. Poor Kyungsoo was going to be exhausted. But Baekhyun would make it up to him tomorrow. Maybe he could buy him a cake. Kyungsoo said he liked cakes.

Baekhyun settled into bed and let out a loud exhale as he shut his eyes. Today was a good day. And he was sure tomorrow would be even better.

***

Baekhyun stood outside of his apartment waiting for the text that would say that Kyungsoo was waiting for him outside. The latter had promised to pick him up after he got off of work. Baekhyun had gotten ready early. He decided to wear a plaid shirt, ed, with a white under it. He wore light blue skinny jeans and ruffled his hair to make it seem like he hadn’t tried too hard in styling it.

His phone began ringing, Kyungsoo was calling him.

“Hello?”

“I’m front of your apartment. You ready? Or should I park?”

Baekhyun smiled and got up from the couch. “I’m on my way down now.”

He quickly made his down the stairs with the phone pressed to his ear. Kyungsoo , Baekhyun went along.

“I just got down. I’m hanging up now.” Baekhyun said as he opened the door and saw Kyungsoo parked in front of the apartment. He got a good look at Kyungsoo’s car this time. It was expensive. Baekhyun hung up and his mouth dropped, “This is your car?”

Kyungsoo unlocked the door, Baekhyun climbed in. “Yeah, but why are you shocked? You’ve been in it before.”

Baekhyun looked around the interior. It was so clean and spacious inside. He was honestly afraid of touching anything. “Yeah, but I don’t remember much from that night.”

Kyungsoo scoffed as he got onto the street. “That’s true. You slept most of the time.”

Baekhyun’s eyes darted everywhere in the car, but they finally stopped to look at Kyungsoo. He hadn’t noticed, but Kyungsoo was wearing a black leather jacket with a white shirt underneath, his legs had on black skinny jeans that pressed nicely onto them. And his hair was slicked up. Baekhyun’s eyes slowly drifted to Kyungsoo’s jawline, it was so sharp. And he was holding the steering wheel with one hand, the other was on the shift gear.

“Baekhyun?”

“Huh?” Baekhyun just realized he was checking out Kyungsoo,“Oh! I was uh…”

“You were…?” Kyungsoo stopped at a red a light and turned to look at him. He smiled wide and let out a laugh. “Why are you so flustered?”

Baekhyun shook his head, “I was just saying, you need to let me take you for a ride in my car too. It’s not as beautiful as yours, but it’s unfair for you to constantly be nice and me never returning the favor.” Nice save.

“You don’t owe me anything Baekhyun.” Kyungsoo told him.

Baekhyun pouted, “Where are we going anyway?”

“Theaters.”

“Oh! That’s it? That was Chanyeol’s big surprise?”

Kyungsoo laughed, “What did you expect?”

Baekhyun shrugged as he looked out the window. “I don’t know. How was your meeting by the way? I bet you must be tired.”

Kyungsoo shook his head, “I slept on the ride there. So it wasn’t too bad.”

Baekhyun’s eyebrows went up in surprise, “Slept on the ride there?”

“Yeah the chauffeur—“ Kyungsoo stopped mid sentence and bit his lip, “I mean…I just got a ride—“

“Chauffeur?! You have a chauffeur?”

Kyungsoo covered his mouth with his hand. “It’s not a big deal.”

Baekhyun pierced his lips together. Why did he have a chauffeur?!

Kyungsoo began parking in the parking lot of the theater. He shut the car off and turned to look at Baekhyun, eyeing him up and down.

“You look good by the way.” Kyungsoo complimented as he sent him a wink.

Baekhyun felt the blush coming, but quickly decided he would make Kyungsoo flustered instead. “Have you seen yourself Kyungsoo.” Baekhyun told him in a seductive voice. He sent him a smirk, bit his lip, and then raised an eyebrow, “You look like a ing snack.”

Kyungsoo’s whole face went red, as Baekhyun expected. Baekhyun let out a loud holler of laughter as he clapped his hands.

“Sh—shut up.” Kyungsoo said as he got out of the car.

If Kyungsoo was going to be playing these games, Baekhyun would be sure to win.

Chanyeol and Jongin were already waiting for them in front of the theaters. They were standing by the ticket booth and waved their arms in the air when they saw them coming.

“Hey guys!” Chanyeol called out happily.

Baekhyun grinned wide, “You weren’t waiting long were you?”

Chanyeol shook his head, “Nah, don’t worry about it. We bought your tickets already.” Chanyeol said as they got closer.

They were so immersed in talking to each other, they didn’t notice the smirk and eyebrow raise that Jongin was giving Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo merely shook his head as he put his finger to his lips. Jongin’s eyes drifted slowly to Baekhyun, then back at Kyungsoo.

“Hey Kyungsoo, what time is it?” Jongin asked. He tilted his head up, Baekhyun and Chanyeol missed the sarcastic tone in his voice.

Kyungsoo scoffed, “Time to go inside and watch the movie.” He answered quickly.

“Let me buy the dinner later then.” Baekhyun said as he turned his attention back to Chanyeol.

“Sure.” Chanyeol responded as they walked into the movie.

Jongin and Chanyeol sat next to each other, leaving Baekhyun and Kyungsoo to sit in front of them.

“Don’t they call these the loveseats?” Kyungsoo asked when they sat down.

Baekhyun giggled, “What are you trying to tell me?”

Kyungsoo bit his bottom lip, luckily Baekhyun couldn’t see how red his ears were getting, “Nothing, I’m just saying.”

The movie began playing. Somewhere around the middle, Kyungsoo decided to try and make his move. He extended his hand and reached for Baekhyun’s. Baekhyun saw from the corner of his eye what Kyungsoo was trying to do. He reached for some popcorn quickly, completely evading Kyungsoo’s advance.

Kyungsoo swallowed and quickly placed his hand into his lap. Don’t rush anything. Kyungsoo thought. Take your time and allow him to feel comfortable first.

***

“What did you think of the movie?” Chanyeol asked as he took a bite of the rice in front of him.

“Meh, I seen better.” Jongin said as he put his arm around Chanyeol.

“Jongin’s never been one for mysteries. He doesn’t like rattling his brain.” Kyungsoo answered as he took a sip of his water.

Jongin let out a laugh, “It just didn’t make sense.”

Kyungsoo smiled wide, “It made perfect sense!”

Baekhyun heard the teasing tone in Kyungsoo’s voice and let out a laugh of his own. Their friendship was cute, which made him a bit curious.

“How long have you guys known each other?” Baekhyun asked as he eyed the both of them.

“Hm…” Kyungsoo pondered as he looked up, “Since we were kids. How old were we?”

Jongin shrugged, “Who knows. We been friends for years now.”

“Wow! Since kids?” Chanyeol asked astonished. “How did you guys meet?”

“My parents took me to Kyungsoo’s house when they were still trying to be business partners with one another. The rest is history.”

Baekhyun chewed slowly, then asked, “What kind of business do your parents run?”

Jongin swallowed then answered, “A small business.”

“Not small.” Chanyeol responded. “Jongin’s parents own Kim industries.”

Baekhyun’s eyes widened. Kim industries is the number one maker of computers in the country. They have made computers, tablets, and laptops.

Jongin chuckled and shook his head. “It’s not a big deal, really.” His eyes looked up at Kyungsoo, “Should I tell him what your heir to? Or should you?”

Kyungsoo cleared his throat and wiped his mouth. “This is really good kimchi.”

Jongin laughed out loud, “You don’t want to tell him your heir to the Do corporation? Only the biggest video game developer in all of Korea?”

Baekhyun’s mouth dropped, “Hold on you’re—“ He looked over at Kyungsoo who was glaring at Jongin, “THE Do Kyungsoo?” This didn’t cross his mind at all. He never in a million years thought that he would ever even be in the same room as the son of the CEO of his favorite video game developer.

“Chanyeol told me you love video games Baekhyun.” Jongin said calmly.

Baekhyun looked over at Chanyeol, who was sending him a wide grin.

“I mentioned it.” Chanyeol responded innocently.

Kyungsoo looked over slowly at Baekhyun, “You love video games?”

Baekhyun swallowed, “Well yeah, a little.”

“A little? His dream is to have a video game channel on YouTube.” Chanyeol answered. “He is really good at every video game he plays.”

“I’m not that good.” Baekhyun responded as he kicked him under the table. “Plus, it’s just a silly little fantasy. It’s nothing that can actually happen in real life.” Baekhyun was embarrassed to let people know that he actually wanted to be a YouTuber. It was just a childish little fantasy of his.

Kyungsoo smiled at him, “If you need help getting started—“ 

Baekhyun shook his head, “No Kyungsoo, really it’s nothing.”

Kyungsoo shrugged, “I’m just asking.”

The evening was spent with them each talking about their hobbies and what they did in their spare time. Chanyeol spoke about how he wanted to eventually do something with computers. Jongin chimed in and told him he would be happy to help in any way he could. Whenever Jongin looked at Chanyeol, his eyes shined. It was as if Chanyeol was the most precious being in the universe. Jongin’s smile even got softer whenever Chanyeol spoke and he laughed the hardest when Chanyeol made a joke.

Baekhyun wished that one day, he would be able to have that. Someone who would look at him like that and smile wide whenever he was talking. Little did he know, that the person next to him was doing exactly that.

***

Kyungsoo sat in the driver’s seat of the car, with Baekhyun sitting next to him. Their hang out had ended once dinner was over due to Kyungsoo and Jongin needing to get up early tomorrow. The two said they didn’t mind staying longer, but Baekhyun and Chnayeol insisted that they go home.

“So, that’s why you can afford a chauffeur.” Baekhyun thought aloud.

“Yes, that’s why I have a chauffeur.” Kyungsoo responded.

“I didn’t mean to say that out loud.” Baekhyun said as he shook his head.

“Don’t worry about it.”

The cars and suit finally made sense. Kyungsoo was born into wealth. And he was destined to stay in it for the rest of his life. Then why would he want to hang out with him?

“Hey Baekhyun?”

“Yeah?”

“You ever been into a building dedicated to video games?”

Baekhyun thought and answered, “Yeah, I buy video games from video game shops sometimes. Although, I usually shop online.”

Kyungsoo laughed and shook his head, “No, I mean have you ever been into the Do corporation building?”

Baekhyun’s eyes widened and he shook his head, “No never. I would never be allowed inside.”

Kyungsoo smirked and looked over at him when he stopped at a red light. “Want to?”

Baekhyun’s jaw dropped, “Go inside?”

Kyungsoo nodded, “You can see how we develop them. And I can even give you some free samples.”

Was he dreaming? There’s no way that this could be happening. Was Kyungsoo actually offering to take him into the Do headquarters?

“I would love to take you inside. Are you free tomorrow?”

Baekhyun blinked and shook his head.

Kyungsoo worried he pushed a little too far. He swallowed, “You don’t have—“

“I would love to go.” Baekhyun said. A smile appeared on his lips as he looked over at Kyungsoo. “Yes!”

Kyungsoo grinned wide and stopped in front of Baekhyun’s apartment. “I’ll pick you up at 2, like today. See you then.”   

Baekhyun got out of the car and into his apartment with an extra bounce in his step. He would be going into the headquarters of his favorite video game corporation! He threw himself on his sofa, with a huge grin on his face. Maybe his dream of starting a YouTube channel could become a reality. Could he be so lucky?

Kyungsoo left the apartment with a huge smile on his face. He even released a chuckle from time to time as he drove home. Things were going good, really good. Could he be so lucky?