Chapter 7

You Hurt Me

“So, you getting the hang of it now?” Kyungsoo asked as he handed the camera back to Baekhyun.

Baekhyun turned the lens towards Kyungsoo and pressed record, “I think so.”                          

Kyungsoo smiled wide and let out a laugh, “Not me!” He shouted playfully.

Baekhyun grinned wide as he took in the latter’s smile through the camera. His black cap made it hard to see his eyes, but they shined nonetheless. He wore a simple white t shirt and black cargo pants.

Baekhyun stopped recording and stuck his tongue out towards Kyungsoo, “It’s your fault for looking so cute.” He told him.

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes, “Yeah, whatever.” He told him as he took a sip of his boba.

“Even the drink you get is cute!” Baekhyun exclaimed as he let out a small laugh.

“How is hazelnut cute?” Kyungsoo asked as he let out a laugh.

Baekhyun shrugged, “I don’t know. It’s small, cute, like you.” He teased. “That’s your nickname now, hazelnut.”

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes as he shook his head, “So since you like honey boba, then you’re nickname will be honey.” He scoffed, but didn’t notice that Baekhyun blushed.

“I mean…if you wanna call me that…” Baekhyun replied shyly.

“Alright honey, you wanna start recording yourself now?”

Baekhyun pierced his lips together and stared down at the camera in his lap. Kyungsoo promised to help him get the hang of the camera by taking pictures in the park. They could have stayed at Baekhyun’s home and practiced, but neither of them wanted to pass up an opportunity to hang out outside together.

“Or are you still nervous?”

Baekhyun shook his head, “No…well maybe a little.”

Kyungsoo scooted closer to him on the bench. “It’s normal you know, to be nervous. But you don’t have to record your face. Just your gameplay and voice.”

Baekhyun looked up at him.

“And you can edit it however you want.” Kyungsoo assured him.

“You’ll help me with all of the editing?” Baekhyun asked softly, his eyes hesitant.

“Of course!” Kyungsoo shouted excitedly. He had called off today just for Baekhyun. He wanted to make sure the latter was happy, forever. He would be there for him, whenever Baekhyun needed it.

Baekhyun nodded, “Fine.” He replied as he stood up. “Let’s go.”

They made their way to Baekhyun’s car, the latter insisted he drive today, and buckled inside.

“I forgot how small your car was.” Kyungsoo said as he got in the passenger’s side.

Baekhyun snickered as he placed his coffee in the cup holder. “Sorry I can’t afford a car like yours.” He teased.

Kyungsoo smiled, “I’m not saying it like it’s a bad thing. I’m just saying.”

Baekhyun drove over to his apartment, teasing Kyungsoo the whole way.

***

Baekhyun sat at his pc, smashing the keyboard as he played.

“Ah!” He exclaimed as he placed his hand over his mouth and shut his eyes. He shook his head and continued his gameplay as though no one was watching. In reality, he had forgotten that the camera was recording him. It was strange at first, but after a while, had completely forgotten that it was there.

He let out a final sigh as he removed his headgear and fixed his hair. His eyes looked up and he saw the camera. It suddenly dawned on him that it had been recording him the whole time. He smiled shyly and waved at it. He quickly stood up and stopped it from recording.

“Kyungsoo!” He shouted.

Kyungsoo walked into the room quickly. He had been in the living room. Baekhyun insisted that he be away from him while playing. He claimed that his presence would make him nervous.

“Done?” Kyungsoo asked.

Baekhyun nodded, “I guess so.”

Kyungsoo took the camera and smiled, “Did you do a small greeting in the beginning and bye at the end?

Baekhyun nodded. “It was awkward, but yeah.”

Kyungsoo smiled, “You been at it for an hour so there will definitely be a lot to work with.

“An hour?!”

Kyungsoo nodded, “For your first video, something short would be best. That way people can get to know you a little bit, then slowly get more comfortable in front of the camera and then build a fan base.”

Baekhyun pouted, “So editing right now?”

“Yeah you can. Or take a break, it’s up to you.”

Baekhyun pondered the statement. Editing it would be a good idea.

“I actually have to go though.” Kyungsoo told him.

“Really?” Baekhyun asked disappointed.

“Yeah.” Kyungsoo replied. He had taken the day off. But his dad had other plans for him today. He had been calling him nonstop. Kyungsoo knew that telling the front desk he wasn’t coming in would be no problem. But his dad was a completely different story. Once his dad commanded something, it had to be done. It has been like that for as long as Kyungsoo can remember.

“Can I edit it on my own?” Baekhyun asked. “I know it won’t be as fancy as the way you would make it look. But I want to do this.”

Kyungsoo’s eyes widened. Baekhyun was finally letting his passion shine through and he lived for seeing it. Earlier, Baekhyun wanted help with the editing. Now he was alright with doing it on his own. That made Kyungsoo ecstatic.

“But I’ll send it to you through email. Both the original and edited version.”

Kyungsoo chuckled and nodded, “Of course. And I’ll help you if you want.”

Baekhyun smiled wide and hugged him tight. He didn’t control it; it was his happiness taking over. Kyungsoo had helped him so much. He wanted to repay him in any way he could.

“Thank you so much Kyungsoo.”

Kyungsoo inhaled the latter’s scent and slowly shut his eyes. He made sure the tears that wanted to fall would not make themselves visible. He never thought he would be able to hold Baekhyun, ever.

He lifted his arms around him and pulled him in close, “There’s nothing to thank me for. As long as you’re happy, that’s all that matters.”

Baekhyun parted from him, grinning wide, “Kyungsoo, be my soulmate.”

Kyungsoo’s eyes widened.

“I’m serious.” He told him as he placed his hand in Kyungsoo’s. He didn’t know if he loved Kyungsoo yet, but he knew that the feelings he felt were intense. He wanted nothing more than for Kyungsoo to stay by his side.

Kyungsoo nodded quickly, “Yes!” he exclaimed, “Yes!”

Kyungsoo’s phone began ringing, interrupting them again.

“Stupid phone!” Kyungsoo replied annoyed as he took it out of his pocket. He let out a sigh, “It’s my dad.”

Baekhyun smiled and plopped himself down in his seat. “If you have to go, then go ahead.” Baekhyun replied. “I can do this on my own.”

Kyungsoo smiled down at him. He leaned down and removed Baekhyun’s hair from his forehead and placed a small kiss on it. “Text me if you need anything.” He whispered.

Baekhyun looked up at him as Kyungsoo straightened up. He so badly wanted to move up and hit Kyungsoo’s lips with his own. But he wasn’t sure how Kyungsoo would react, so he instead rejected the urge and said, “Thank you Kyungsoo, for everything. You’re soulmate was an idiot for tearing the string.”

Kyungsoo gave him a half smile, “I don’t think my soulmate is an idiot. But it doesn’t matter.”

Baekhyun walked Kyungsoo out the door and to his car. He bid him goodbye, until the next time they could see each other and made his way back to the apartment.

Kyungsoo let out a sigh and reached for his phone to call his dad back.

“Hey da--”

“Kyungsoo!” He answered harshly. “Where are you?”

Kyungsoo grimaced and let out a soft exhale, “On my way.”

“Where!?”

“On. My. Way!” Kyungsoo replied in the same harsh tone his dad was using.

“Sojin told us about—“

“I don’t care what she told you.” Kyungsoo cut him off. He should have known that snitch would go to his parents first.

“She told us that she saw you at the building with…a friend.”

Kyungsoo stayed silent on the other end. He was unsure of whether or not he should say something, or let his silence speak volumes.

“Kyungsoo, I don’t want that—that—person around us, around you. Do I make myself clear?”

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes and scoffed. The way his dad emphasized person as though he was some kind of leech made Kyungsoo upset. He was tired of being a puppe. He had been one for a long time, and it cost him the most precious being in the universe.

“Kyungsoo!”

“I make my own decisions now. It’s up to you whether or not you want to accept them.”

Kyungsoo clicked and sat down in his car. He knew that his parents would never accept his decision. But it didn’t matter anymore. He once cared a lot, but after meeting Baekhyun, he didn’t care what his parents had to say.

***

Baekhyun turned off the sink and let out a sigh. He had no more excuses to not edit the recording anymore. He had done all of his housework, showered, cooked, ate, and washed his dishes. He had nothing else he could use to stall for time. It was time to look over the video and edit.

He gulped and placed the memory card into his pc. An hour long video appeared on his screen. He clicked it to reveal his smiling face on the thumbnail. He assumed that he would have to watch the whole thing and then from there decide what to keep and what not to keep, right?

He sat on his computer for hours, cutting out parts, and trying to add his own style into it. Kyungsoo had done so much for him, including buying him top quality editing software.

“Ok…” He whispered as his eyes slowly began to close.

He suddenly caught himself opening them. He blinked and threw his head up. Had he fallen asleep?

His screen was black and the sun was shining through his window. When did he fall asleep? What time was it?

He moved the mouse and saw that his computer had fallen asleep. He was still where he had left off. He shook his head and rubbed at his eyes. Did he really fall asleep? He can’t remember.

He had been able to cut the video into twenty minutes, but his goal was ten. He could probably cut it down a bit more, after he had a quick bite.

His breakfast consisted of a bowl of fruit. Today, he would dedicate it all to editing. He wanted to learn on his own. Kyungsoo had already done so much for him. He wanted it to be done without help. His dream was close, even if he didn’t get popular, he would always be grateful for all Kyungsoo had done.

A vibration from his phone had him lifting his head up from his fruit.

[Chanyeol: Hey Baek, you busy over the weekend?] 10:56 am

Baekhyun blinked as he thought. He has a shift at the coffee shop.

[Baekhyun: work :P] 11:00 am

He put his phone down and scratched his hair with his hand. He was so motivated to edit that video. He had always played around with editing videos before, but never had he had such outstanding software. It pushed him even more to edit a gaming video, not to mention, he was actually having fun doing it.

He smiled as he thought of Kyungsoo. The latter was truly a blessing.

He pushed the thoughts away and walked over to his computer. He would continue editing until he felt it was perfect.

***

Baekhyun gulped as the mouse hovered over the upload button. Baekhyun had told him that he would send him the video so that he could look over it, but he realized he didn’t want to rely on him for this. He wanted this to be done on his own. He wanted to create his own style and learn from his own mistakes.

He let out a sigh. He had edited all day, it was now time to upload. He was sure he did his best and he was satisfied with it…then why was he so nervous?

He took in a big inhale and shut his eyes tight. He left clicked the mouse and spun around in his chair.

He had just done it! … What had he done?!

He turned to face his screen and saw the video uploading onto YouTube. It was only ten minutes long, not long when compared to other professionals.

He had barely made a YouTube channel today and simply named himself: HoneyGamer. It wasn’t the most creative, but Kyungsoo gave him the nickname a little earlier and he found it cute. Plus, Kyungsoo had been such a huge help.

He stared at his screen then saw that his video uploaded. He was officially on YouTube. He gulped and exited the tab. It was just a video, no need to get excited. This was for fun, not for fame. He just had to keep telling himself that.

His phone ringing took him out of his thoughts. He was still nervous, but maybe talking to someone would get his mind off of it. He looked down to see Chanyeol was calling him.

“Hello?” Baekhyun answered.

“Hey!” He greeted happily. “We’re going to the lake this weekend.”

Baekhyun raised an eyebrow, “I can’t.” He was certain that he told Chanyeol that he was working this weekend.

“Yeah you can. I got you a cover for your shift.”

Baekhyun shook his head, “I can’t afford to not go right now. Bills are piling up.”

“Don’t worry, you’re still getting paid.”

“What?” Baekhyun questioned in disbelief. What was this guy going on about?

“Let’s just say that being the soulmate of someone with money has its perks.”

Baekhyun straightened up, his mouth dropping. “What did you do?!”

I didn’t do anything…” Chanyeol answered innocently, “but were going to Jongin’s lake house on the weekend. So by Friday morning, be packed up because were coming back Sunday evening, ok?”

“Chanyeol I—“

“See you then!” He exclaimed happily as he hung up.

“Chan—Chanyeol!” He stared at his phone. Since when had Chanyeol become so bossy?

***

“Did you hear?” Jongin asked as he took a sip of his coffee.

Kyungsoo placed his mug down and looked up at him, “Hear what?” He asked.

“Baekhyun is coming this weekend to the lake house.”

Kyungsoo raised an eyebrow, “And you know this how?”

“Chanyeol convinced him.”

Kyungsoo smiled, “So it’s the four of us.”

“Yeah, but don’t worry. I’ll make sure you guys have alone time. He’s warming up to you a lot huh?”

“Yeah!” He exclaimed happily. “It was hard at first, but he really likes me now. After the incident, I thought—“

“What are you two talking about?” Kyungsoo’s father stepped into the dining room.

Kyungsoo and Jongin clammed up quickly. One would think they weren’t breathing if it weren’t for the shoulders inching up and down.

“Kyungsoo go make the deal.” His father instructed. “They’re waiting for you in the living room. Oh! Also, I’ve noticed sales have increased since you took charge at Do Corporation for me. Keep up the good work.”

Kyungsoo nodded and stood up, making his way towards the exit.

“And Kyungsoo, let’s forget about that s—“

Jongin quickly tugged on Kyungsoo’s father jacket, grabbing his attention. Jongin slowly shook his head, “Don’t” He mouthed quietly.

Kyungsoo walked out of the room, ignoring what his dad was about to say.