Chapter 3

You Hurt Me

Baekhyun opened his eyes and saw his apartment door in front of him. A hand held him steady as he reached into his pocket for the keys. “Where are the--? ”Baekhyun hiccupped as he leaned into the person next to him. His head hurt and all he could notice was the scent that came from the person next to him. It was sweet, but also had a masculine feel to it. He liked it…he liked it a lot.

“Mmmm…you smell nice.” He said as he smiled wide.

A chuckle was heard and the person grabbed the keys from Baekhyun’s hand. “Thank you.” He replied.

Kyungsoo opened the door and allowed Baekhyun inside.

“Where’s your room?” Kyungsoo asked as he shut the door.

Baekhyun straightened up and shoved the stranger away. “No, I’m saving myself for my…my soulmate.” Baekhyun slurred.

Kyungsoo’s eyes widened and he shook his head. “That’s…not what I meant. You need to sleep.”

Baekhyun focused and then he finally recognized who was next to him. “Kyungsoo?”

Kyungsoo scoffed, “Come on, you need to rest.”

Baekhyun shook his head, “Why do you care so much?” He held his head and began to stumble towards his room. He needed sleep. He felt so exhausted.

Kyungsoo caught him and helped lead him toward the room.

“Why are you constantly flirting with me? You’re so weird.”

Kyungsoo laid Baekhyun down onto the bed and let out a scoff, “Have you seen yourself?” He teased as he took off Baekhyun’s shoes.

“But why? It’s like…you don’t even know me. Yeah, I like you too, but you have a soulmate. They won’t like if you do these things.” He willingly let Kyungsoo take off his jacket and fell back onto the bed.

“I don’t think my soulmate will mind.” Kyungsoo answered as he sat next to Baekhyun on the bed.

“I would mind.” Baekhyun began. Then he remembered the torn string that dangled from his wrist, “Then again, my soulmate doesn’t give a about me. I’m sure he couldn’t care less about me.”

Kyungsoo pulled out the blanket and put it right under Baekhyun’s chin. “Don’t say things like that. I’m sure you’re soulmate loves you very much.”

Baekhyun scoffed and felt as tears began streaming down his cheeks. “He hates me. He ing hates me. And I should hate him too. But I know once I meet him, I’m going to fall in love instantly and I hate that. I want a new soulmate.”

Kyungsoo felt his own eyes water, but willed them away quickly. “Sleep Baekhyun. You don’t know what you’re saying.”

Baekhyun shut his eyes, sleep finally overcoming him, “He tore our string…he hates me…” He whispered.

Kyungsoo crinkled his eyebrows as he let what Baekhyun said register in his mind. He rubbed his hair, let his hand travel down to his face and whispered back, “No, he loves you.”

***

Baekhyun let out a sigh as he blinked awake. The sun shined into his eyes and he held up his hand to try and block it. Where was he?

He looked around and realized he was in bed…bed?

He sat up and immediately felt a huge wave of pain hit his head. He groaned and laid back down. Oh god…how much had he drank last night? He shut his eyes as he felt his stomach doing twist and turns. His stomach suddenly threatened to throw up whatever he had eaten the night before. He held his mouth and rushed to the bathroom.

He didn’t even care about the hair that was falling over his face, he bent over the toilet and heaved everything out from last night. He was never drinking again, god if he survived he would never—he heaved once more before he could finish his thought. What did he do to deserve this?

“Baekhyun?” A voice called out from outside.

Baekhyun blinked and turned to look at the door that was shut. Did he hear correctly? Is someone else here?

 “Baekhyun, are you ok?”

His head hurt, his stomach was turning—no, he was not ok. He was also not in any mood for guests.

He searched his mind for answers. Whose voice was that? It suddenly dawned on him who the voice belonged to and he felt his cheeks go red. That voice…Kyungsoo? Memories of last night suddenly came into his mind. Kyungsoo had driven him home. He remembered how he was in the latter’s car and how they had a small conversation last night. Although most of it was fuzzy at best.

“Kyungsoo?” Baekhyun muttered out loud enough for Kyungsoo to hear.

“Yeah, I just wanted to make sure you’re ok.”

Baekhyun got up on his feet and walked over to the door. He no longer had anymore content in his stomach to throw up. He opened the door wide to see Kyungsoo staring at him, wide eyed and mouth sealed tight.

“I—“ Kyungsoo gestured towards a bag in his hand and lifted it up, “Breakfast?”

Baekhyun held his head and shut his eyes, “What are you doing here?”

“I thought you might want breakfast.”

“Thanks, but I want to be alone.” Baekhyun responded as he pushed past him and went into his room.

“Sorry, I should have asked if I could stay.”

Baekhyun turned to stare at him, his face a grimace, “You stayed the night?”

Kyungsoo wet his lips and suddenly seemed nervous, “Yeah, sorry. It’s just—you seemed so out of it last night.”

Baekhyun didn’t want Kyungsoo to see him like this. He looked awful. And Kyungsoo looked flawless as usual. “I just look so ugly.” He mumbled, surprised by how much he cared despite the pain.

Kyungsoo suddenly smiled wide and bit his bottom lip. “It’s ok Baekhyun. Just eat breakfast and then you can rest all day.”

Baekhyun nodded slowly and walked to his room, shutting the door.

“I’ll take that as a yes!” Kyungsoo exclaimed.

Baekhyun rubbed his eyes and walked over to stare at the mirror. The person he saw staring back at him startled him. His eyes were red, his hair pointing in every direction. His shirt had drool on it and he wore no pants, just boxers! How did it not occur to him how disgusting he would look!?

He gasped and immediately grabbed the nearest face mask he could find. He threw on an over sized shirt and sweats. God…what was he thinking? Kyungsoo probably thought he looked so ugly! … GOD! Why did he care so much what Kyungsoo thought of him?

Baekhyun shook his head and walked out of his room. Kyungsoo was on the sofa and his eyes darted up. Baekhyun ignored him and ran into the restroom. He could at least wash his face and brush his teeth. After a couple of minutes, he ran out to see Kyungsoo with a smirk on his face. He had his head tilted with his eyebrow raised. If Baekhyun’s head wasn’t hurting so much, he may have realized how             overbearingly adorable Kyungsoo looked right now.

“Shall we eat?” Kyungsoo asked.

Baekhyun led him into the kitchen, Kyungsoo served him breakfast. It felt strange to have someone look after him in his own home. If anything, Kyungsoo was the guest, which meant that Baekhyun should be the one serving him.

“Water is important for a hangover.” Kyungsoo told him as he placed a cup down and poured water into it.

Baekhyun looked at the cup then back up at Kyungsoo who was serving himself. Baekhyun his dry lips and took a sip of water, “Thanks.”

He began eating and surprisingly began feeling a bit better. He quickly finished everything while Kyungsoo ate a bit slower.

“How are you feeling?” Kyungsoo asked with a smile.

Baekhyun swallowed the last bite and laid back in the chair, “Better.”

“You should try to sleep this off. Don’t worry, I can clean this up.”

Baekhyun was feeling a lot better…well enough to think clearly. “You don’t have to do any of this. You don’t even know me.”

Kyungsoo picked up the plates, Baekhyun reached out and grabbed them before he could stand. His eyes narrowed into him. “Seriously, why do you care so much?”

Kyungsoo stared back at him, eyes intense. “Baekhyun, can you let go please?” He asked softly. “That way I can clean up and you can rest.”

“Answer the question.”

Kyungsoo sighed, “Fine. I’ll answer only if you promise you’ll let me take care of you.”

Baekhyun furrowed his brows, but realized that deep down…he enjoyed this. The thought of having Kyungsoo care for him was so intriguing and left a warm feeling in his chest. And if Chanyeol was alright with letting Kyungsoo take him home while he was most vulnerable must mean something. Obviously the latter could be trusted.

“Alright.” He responded as he pulled his hands back.

Kyungsoo smiled wide and nodded in acknowledgment. “Get to bed, I’ll meet you there.”

Baekhyun quickly made his way to bed, tucking himself in and laying on the soft pillow. He let out a sigh and realized that this is what he wanted. He felt so tired…he would sleep a little more. He could hear the water running from his sink, lulling him even more into sleep.

“Baekhyun?” A soft voice whispered. Baekhyun opened his eyes slowly to see Kyungsoo walking into his room. “I just want to let you know that I’ll be right back.”

Baekhyun scoffed and shut his eyes again, “You still need to answer the question.”

Kyungsoo scoffed and made his way into the room. He sat at the edge of Baekhyun’s bed and kept the smile on his face as he looked at Baekhyun’s face. He seemed so peaceful and relaxed. “You’ll find out.” He replied back. Kyungsoo grabbed Baekhyun’s wrist softly, Baekhyun’s eyes jolted open. He was holding the wrist with the disgusting string wrapped around it. Kyungsoo held it so tenderly, as if it was a newborn puppy, something precious that needed care and love. When in reality it was the total opposite, a stupid string that he wishes he could yank off and burn. It was the reminder that his soulmate hated him…that he was despised.

Kyungsoo placed a piece of paper into his hand, Baekhyun pulled away. He quickly hid his hand under the covers, which was stupid. It wasn’t as if Kyungsoo could see the string.

Kyungsoo looked stunned, “Sorry, I just wanted to give you my number so you can call me if you need anything.” He told him.

Baekhyun turned in the bed, “My string is on that wrist.” Baekhyun couldn’t see Kyungsoo’s face and he didn’t want to. He reminded himself that Kyungsoo had a soulmate…probably someone that loved him beyond words. It was wrong for Baekhyun to be even remotely attracted to him.

“It means a lot to you?” Kyungsoo asked.

Baekhyun covered his face in the blanket. “I hate it.”

It was silent for a bit. No one said a word. Kyungsoo suddenly cleared his throat, “I see.” He began. Baekhyun could feel the awkward tension, but refused to peek. How did Kyungsoo look? Was he shocked, disgusted? Baekhyun suddenly felt a hand softly place itself on his back, “I’ll be back.” Kyungsoo said in a soft voice.

Baekhyun heard as he opened the door and then shut it. He stayed under the covers. He wasn’t sleepy anymore…he felt sad again.

***

When Baekhyun woke up again, he felt much better. His hangover was practically gone. How long had he been asleep?

A sudden mouthwatering scent infiltrated his nostrils and he felt his mouth water. His stomach grumbled and he realized…he was starving.

He got out of bed and made his way to the kitchen, his eyes widened when he saw three people sitting at his dining table. It barely seated two people, so any more than that would be a tight squeeze.

“Oh! Hey Baekhyun.” Chanyeol greeted happily. He had a full plate of Chinese food in front of him.

“Hey.” Baekhyun greeted back. He looked around and saw Jongin and Kyungsoo sitting at the table with plates of Chinese food in front of them too.

“I hope you don’t mind, I bought dinner for everyone.” Kyungsoo said as he grabbed a paper plate and began putting food on it.

“I wanted to check in on you and Kyungsoo was here.” Chanyeol said as he pulled out a chair for Baekhyun. “How are you feeling?”

Baekhyun furrowed his brows, and his eyes darted to Kyungsoo then back to Chanyeol. “Fine.” He responded as he sat down. “Not 100% yet, but definitely a lot better.”

Kyungsoo placed a plate full of food in front of Baekhyun, along with a cup of water and chopsticks.

Baekhyun looked up at him and raised an eyebrow. Why was this guy being so nice?

“It’s really good.” Chanyeol said as he took a big portion into his mouth.

Baekhyun looked down at his plate and saw an assortment of colors on it. It didn’t look like the usual take out that he was used to getting. He took his chopsticks and put a small portion into his mouth. His eyes widened at the taste. It was delicious! He took another bite and savored the flavor this time. This was the best Chinese food he ever had!

“What do you think?” Jongin asked as he took a sip of water.

Baekhyun swallowed and smiled, “It’s delicious.”

Kyungsoo smiled wide, “I’m glad you like it.”

“You were really drunk last night Baekhyun.” Chanyeol teased as he pointed at him.

Baekhyun turned slightly red and silently vowed to never get that drunk again. “It was a one time thing. Did I do anything stupid?”

Chanyeol pouted as he thought, “I don’t know…did you throw up in Kyungsoo’s Maserati?”

Baekhyun’s eyes widened as the rest of them laughed. “No!” He looked over at Kyungsoo, “I didn’t right?”

Kyungsoo shook his head slowly, “No you didn’t.” He replied softly.

Baekhyun breathed a sigh of relief then it suddenly hit him, “Maserati?” He questioned. Those cars easily costed tens of thousands of dollars. Had Kyungsoo driven him in a Maserati?

“Why so shocked? He’s friends with Jongin after all.” Chanyeol told him as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

Baekhyun held his head and shut his eyes. That explains why Kyungsoo could afford all of this. He had bought his ramen, dinner yesterday, breakfast this morning, and now he had bought him dinner tonight. Just what time was it anyway? How long had he been sleeping?

“You feeling ok?” Kyungsoo asked, worry evident. And now he sounded genuinely concerned. Baekhyun hated how his heart did flips at the thought of Kyungsoo worrying about him.

“Why…” He whispered softly.

“Hm?”

Baekhyun shook his head, “Nothing. Um…thank you. I appreciate you looking after me. But, can I be alone? I’m getting a headache again. I’m sorry.”

Kyungsoo pierced his lips together, “Baekhyun, I don’t mind staying and taking care of—“ Jongin placed his hand on Kyungsoo’s wrist and squeezed the watch on top of it.

Kyungsoo looked over at him to see Jongin slowly shaking his head, “Don’t push it.” He mouthed.

Baekhyun peeked through his fingers to see Kyungsoo looking into Jongin’s eyes and then slowly lock eyes with Baekhyun. “Don’t apologize Baekhyun.” He told him. “If you ever need anything, you can call me.”

Baekhyun nodded and stood up to pick up everyone’s plates. Kyungsoo stopped him and reached out for the plates instead. “I got it.” They locked eyes and Baekhyun could see the tenderness emanating off of Kyungsoo’s.

Baekhyun gritted his teeth and clenched his jaw. But let go of the plates anyway and walked over to his room, shutting the door. Maybe the sooner he left them alone, the sooner Kyungsoo would leave. But why was he so mad at the latter? It was because it seemed as though Kyungsoo pitied him. Why else would the latter be so nice? Did he consider Baekhyun some kind of charity? He acted like he cared for Baekhyun, but how could he? Kyungsoo had a soulmate and it definetly was not Baekhyun.

Chanyeol bit his lip as he looked over at Kyungsoo’s worried expression. “Sorry… he isn’t usually like this. He’s just probably really hung over.”

Jongin smiled, “No need to apologize. We understand.”

Chanyeol nodded, “I’m going to check on him real quick.”

Jongin chuckled, “That would be best. We can clean this up.”

Chanyeol ran off to Baekhyun’s room, shutting the door behind him.

Once Chanyeol was out of sight, Jongin’s smile faded and he glared at Kyungsoo. “What do you think you’re doing?” He asked harshly.

Kyungsoo went over to the sink and the water. “Washing.”

Jongin rolled his eyes and stood next to him. “The only reason I didn’t object last night was ‘cuz I thought you were just gonna take him home.”

Kyungsoo ignored him, focusing on the dishes instead.

“Hey!” He exclaimed loud enough for only Kyungsoo to hear. “Why you rushing him for?”

Kyungsoo gritted his teeth, “I’m not doing anything wrong.”

Jongin scoffed, “I’ll help you, but you gotta be patient.”

Kyungsoo stopped scrubbing and bit his lip. “I can’t Jongin.”

“Well you’re gonna have to force yourself.” Jongin told him. “Should I remind you what happened?”

Kyungsoo glared at him, “Don’t act like you understand ‘cuz you don’t.” He told him harshly. How could Jongin understand? He knew nothing!

“You’re in a mess that both of you caused! You have to be patient if you want it to be cleaned up.”

Kyungsoo shut his eyes and put his head down towards the sink. How could he be patient? He knew that he was partially to blame for what happened, maybe even all to blame. “Does Chanyeol know?” Kyungsoo asked.

“No. And I’m not planning on telling him.”

Kyungsoo could already imagine Chanyeol being upset at him. But would he be angry? Would Chanyeol understand?

“But Chanyeol…told me some things that I think you should know.”

Kyungsoo looked up at him, “What?”

“How to woo him. His likes and dislikes. And…that night.”

Kyungsoo narrowed his eyes at him, “Tell me everything.”

 

***

Chanyeol opened Baekhyun’s door slowly and saw the latter picking up clothes that seemed to be thrown across the floor. He was still in the black sweats and long t shirt that he came outside with. His light brown hair was flowing back and forth as he bent down, then got back up again.

Chanyeol shut the door behind him, “You feeling ok?”

Baekhyun sighed, “Not really.”

Chanyeol smiled and began helping Baekhyun pick up the clothes in silence. He must have thrown them around when he had woken up that morning. He did care what Kyungsoo thought of him. Some of these shirts were ones he would wear to impress. When all the clothes were picked up and on the bed, they began to fold them.

“So, Kyungsoo’s your soulmate?” Chanyeol asked as he peeked at Baekhyun over one of his shirts.

Baekhyun tightened his grip on the shirt that he had in his hands and shut his eyes. No, Kyungsoo was not his soulmate.

“It’s ok you know. To be scared. But I’m sure he’ll understand. What does his string look like? Similar to yours?”

“Chanyeol—“

“I see the way he looks at you. He seems to already really love you.” He grinned wide at him, “That’s a good sign. His priority is probably to win you over.”

Baekhyun knew that Chanyeol was imagining things. If Kyungsoo really was his soulmate, then he would have seen the string on his wrist already. Kyungsoo’s would be visible to him and torn just like his.

“Chanyeol, you don’t understand.” Baekhyun whispered softly. “He’s not my soulmate.”

Chanyeol looked over at him and smiled, “Why are you denying it? Don’t you feel it? You like him already right?”

Baekhyun shut his eyes and swallowed, “My string is torn Chanyeol. And I don’t see Kyungsoo’s string around his wrist. My soulmate tore the string before he met me.” Baekhyun admitted with his head hanging low.

Chanyeol’s mouth dropped and his eyes widened. He was completely stunned and unsure of what to say, “Your soulmate tore your string—?“ he tried to grasp what Baekhyun had just said…his soulmate had--?

“It’s impossible for Kyungsoo to be my soulmate. I wish he would stop being so nice. It makes me confused.”

“Baekhyun,” Chanyeol began. He slowly walked over to him and pulled him in for a hug. Baekhyun was never good with alcohol. He had a tendency to be so emotional and on worst case scenarios, even forget what happened the night before.  

Baekhyun sniffled, “It’s been a year, but it’s ok. Not everyone meets their soulmate you know?”

“Well no…” Chanyeol bit his lip, then had another thought, “Maybe you can meet someone whose string is also torn or even your own soulmate?”

Baekhyun shoved him away, “I don’t want to meet him! I want to forget he exists! I hate him for tearing the string!”

Chanyeol’s eyes were wide in shock at what he was hearing. He needed to choose his words wisely and be kind to the latter. It was obvious he was in a lot of pain. But what could he say…oh! “What about someone who’s string is also torn?”

Baekhyun shook his head, “But how am I supposed to know who—“

“What if Kyungsoo’s string is torn?”

Baekhyun froze at that thought. That thought had never come to mind. But it did make sense…No! How could it be?!

“I mean, someone with a soulmate wouldn’t hit on you so hard. And he probably knows yours is torn because you don’t stop the advances you know?”

Baekhyun scoffed as he walked towards his bed, “Ok, now you’re just overreacting.”

“Just think about it Baekhyun, it makes sense. And you like him back, don’t even deny it.”

Baekhyun stayed staring at him, eyebrows furrowed and mouth slightly ajar. He knew that it was true, there was no point in trying to deny it. He was definitely interested in Kyungsoo. But Kyungsoo’s soulmate was holding him back from doing anything.

“How about we go somewhere. The four of us. Just get to know Kyungsoo and see if his string is torn or not. Then if it is, which I suspect, then make your move.”

Baekhyun blinked and looked down. It seemed so wrong, but what if Chanyeol had a point. Plus, he wasn’t actually going to hit on him. He was only going to acquire information.

“Just think about it. And let me know. I’ll let you go so you can rest alright?”

Baekhyun nodded slowly as he weighed his options. It wasn’t a bad idea. Kyungsoo was the one that was showing interest first anyway right? It had to be for some reason.

Chanyeol opened the door and looked back at Baekhyun, “who knows…maybe you can make him your soulmate.”

Baekhyun blushed at the thought of Kyungsoo being his soulmate. The latter was handsome beyond belief and already cared for Baekhyun a lot. He shook his head and Chanyeol laughed as he shut the door.

***

“Is Kyungsoo going to be ok?” Chanyeol asked as he got into the driver’s seat of his car. Kyungsoo had left Baekhyun’s home looking so miserable. When Chanyeol had walked into the kitchen, he could sense some kind of tension in the air. But he brushed it off and told them that Baekhyun wished to be alone for a while.

Kyungsoo went to his Maserati and drove off quickly, leaving Jongin and Chanyeol alone in the parking lot.

“He’s fine.” Jongin responded as he got into the passenger’s side of the car. “Just stressed out about personal problems.”

Chanyeol wasn’t too sure. But he knew that Kyungsoo was Jongin’s best friend. If he said he was ok, then Chanyeol would trust him.

His phone suddenly vibrated from his pocket and he decided to check it before he started driving.

[Baekhyun: Fine…make plans with the 4 of us or whatever.]

Chanyeol grinned from ear to ear and looked over at Jongin. “When are you and Kyungsoo free?”