Chapter 1

You Hurt Me

It was midday when Baekhyun sat in the middle of the coffee shop. He had coffee in one hand and a muffin on the table in front of him. He took small sips of his coffee and rubbed at his eyes, hoping that would somehow make the feeling of fatigue go away. He had class in thirty minutes, meaning he needed to finish quickly. His shift at the coffee shop ended five minutes ago and this was the only time he would be able to eat until he got home.

Next to him was a couple who were spoon feeding each other. They giggled as they glanced down at their wrists and then back into each other’s eyes. Baekhyun let out a sigh as he looked down at his muffin.

When one was born, there was a red string attached to everyone’s wrist. It was only visible to those it belonged to: meaning the two people that were fated to be together. As they grew, the string would grow along with the person and stayed on their wrist dangling.

If you follow the string, you’ll eventually meet your soulmate. It was said that your soulmate was the one person that was made for you. But there were times, when a person didn’t want to be destined with their soulmate. If that was the case, one could tear the string with enough mental strain and desire. It would leave a red string around the wrist and the torn part not too far from it. It was still possible to see their soulmate’s string even after torn.

In some cases, two people with torn strings could come together and become a couple, and with enough love, become each other’s soulmate. If that happened, then those two would become one and their strings would become connected, only then could they see each other’s strings.

A year ago, Baekhyun woke up to see that his string was cut. It was as if someone had grabbed and pulled with all their might until it completely tore off. He was completely distraught and cried all day. He couldn’t believe that his soulmate had loathed him so much…that he decided to cut the string himself. He had never even met his soulmate and although he could still find love with someone else, he knew it would never be the same.

He couldn’t find it in himself to tell anyone about it. He was ashamed and embarrassed that this had happened to him. It was something that he would need to keep to himself. But the constant reminder of it would forever be on his wrist. An ugly red string that is merely tied around his wrist with nothing on the other end.

“Hey Baekhyun!” Chanyeol greeted enthusiastically as he called him. He walked into the coffee shop a few minutes before his own shift was set to begin. Chanyeol was supposed to take his place when Baekhyun’s shift was over.

Baekhyun’s eyes darted up from his seat and smiled at him. “What’s up?” He greeted.

Chanyeol ran over to him, pressed his hands against the table and smiled wide. “I met my soulmate yesterday.” He announced proudly. “His name is Jongin. I was in the parking lot on campus and next thing I knew, he was right in front of me! He’s so handsome!” Chanyeol gushed as he practically melted into the seat in front of Baekhyun.

Baekhyun smiled weakly and nodded. He couldn’t see Chanyeol’s string of fate, it was invisible to him. Just like Baekhyun’s string was invisible to Chanyeol. The only one that could see Baekhyun’s string of fate was his soulmate, just like how Chanyeol’s soulmate could only see Chanyeol’s.

“Congrats!” Baekhyun exclaimed as he grinned wide.

Chanyeol bit his bottom lip and shook his head reminiscing about the events from yesterday. His grin never left his lips. “He’s perfect Baekhyun…perfect.”

Baekhyun smiled, but it didn’t meet his eyes.

Chanyeol sighed and locked eyes with Baekhyun, “I wish I could talk longer, but my shift is starting. Are you gonna stay?”

Baekhyun shook his head, “I need to go to class. But I’m free tomorrow if you want to talk.”

Chanyeol nodded eagerly, “Yeah! I got Jongin’s number. Maybe you can meet him tomorrow or another day.” He stood up and fixed the white collar on his shirt.

“Yeah, just let me know.” Baekhyun replied.

Chanyeol walked off, the smile plastered on his face. Baekhyun was happy for Chanyeol, he really was. But he couldn’t bring himself to lift his spirits. He tried preoccupying himself by focusing on school and work. But no matter how hard he tried, his wrist reminded him of his sorrow. Baekhyun’s eyes slowly made their way to his wrist where his string was. It was still there, red, torn, ugly, and rejected.

***

“Baekhyun, what time is your shift over today?” The manager asked as he looked over the schedules.

“I have to leave in about thirty minutes.” Baekhyun replied as he poured some tea into a cup.

The manager let out a hum and walked to the back of the coffee shop. Baekhyun pierced his lips together. His manager wasn’t exactly the most organized person in the world. He was constantly changing people’s shifts around when they least expected it. Baekhyun didn’t really care, as long as he was on time for school. 

“Order number 7!” Baekhyun hollered out.

A young girl ran up to the counter and eagerly took her tea and poked the straw in. “Thank you.” She replied as she made her way back to her friends.

Baekhyun heard as someone walked in through the door, another customer. He looked up at the handsome stranger that wore a suit and tie. His phone was pressed to his ear with his head down. His other hand was shoved into his pants pocket. And his black hair was slicked up. A guy like this was obviously not from this area. His watch alone costed more than what Baekhyun made in a month. His outfit and demeanor screamed that he had money.

When he looked up, Baekhyun suddenly felt intimidated. His brows were furrowed and his jaw clenched. Baekhyun gave him a small smile, “How can I help you today?”

The stranger pierced his lips together then opened his mouth, “One Americano.” He said in a deep voice that Baekhyun was not expecting. The voice was demanding.

Baekhyun began typing away at the register. “What size would you like?”

The stranger kept his eyes down at Baekhyun’s hands. The voice on the other end of the phone continued talking.

Baekhyun cleared his throat, “What size would you like?” He said again a little louder.

The stranger’s eyes darted up and locked onto Baekhyun’s. They seemed wider than before and Baekhyun thought maybe he could get lost in them. But it wouldn’t be fair to this guy’s soulmate.

“Regular.” The stranger replied softly.

Baekhyun nodded, “Alright.”

Again, the stranger’s eyes went down to focus on whatever was being said on the phone.

“I’m assuming hot?”

“Yeah.” The stranger replied in a soft whisper.

Baekhyun input all of the information and charged him for it. The stranger handed him the money, “Keep the change.” He said and quickly made his way towards one of the tables.

Baekhyun blinked in confusion. He owed the guy at least fifteen dollars. But he wasn’t about to argue. Baekhyun went over to make the order. The only thing on his mind was that the results to an exam he took last week would be distributed back today. If he had turned around just once towards the stranger, then he would have seen he was staring at him.

His phone was now on his lap and his lips pierced together. No matter how hard he tried, he couldn’t take his eyes off the individual behind the counter. How handsome he was, how delicate he looked. He was sure behind that beauty would be a personality that was even more amazing.

“Ok, your coffee is ready!” Baekhyun smiled happily as he placed the Americano on the counter. The stranger stood up and took into his hands. He took one last look up. Baekhyun suddenly felt shy and looked away. The stranger cleared his throat and made his way outside.

***

Baekhyun was wiping down tables when the stranger came in again the following week. He wore the same suit and tie with a serious expression on his face. This time, he had both his hands jammed in his pockets.

Baekhyun glanced up and saw the handsome stranger looking over him, but quickly looked ahead when they locked eyes.

“Oh,” Baekhyun straightened up. “I’ll be at the counter in a bit. I just need to finish this up.” He said.

The stranger pierced his lips together and nodded as he made his way towards the counter.

Baekhyun finished up his task and ran behind the counter to the register. “Sorry about that.” Baekhyun replied as he the register, “What can I get you?”

The stranger slowly looked up to him and swallowed. “Americano.”

Baekhyun nodded, “Warm again?”

The stranger nodded briskly and threw his head down.

“Alright.” Baekhyun input the order and charged him the usual amount. The stranger stepped back to wait for his drink. Baekhyun sent him a small smile, the stranger suddenly perked up. He slowly sent him a smile back. Baekhyun felt his cheeks go warm. This guy was very handsome. Baekhyun quickly looked away and continued making the drink. He heard a small chuckle, but refused to look over at him anymore.

“Your order is ready.” He called out with his head down. The stranger made his way towards him and extended his hand to grab the drink.

As his hand wrapped around the drink, his fingers grazed over Baekhyun’s hand. Baekhyun suddenly felt a surge of electricity radiate through his fingers all the way up to his spine. He shuddered and the stranger pulled the drink quickly away.

“Thank you.” The stranger said in a tone that was much more confident than before. And with that, he made his way out the door.

Baekhyun was left standing there, he didn’t even notice he was holding his breath until he let out an exhale. It felt like a static shock but it hadn’t hurt. Instead it had felt warm and safe.

“Baekhyun!” Chanyeol called out as he ran into the café, pulling Baekhyun out of his thoughts. “Guess who I just met up with?”

Baekhyun swallowed and looked up, “Who?” He did his best to try and hide the shock on his face. But Chanyeol didn’t notice, he was too excited.

“Jongin!” he grinned wide, “Apparently he is really rich too! You should have seen the car he drives! I really want you to meet him Baekhyun.”

Baekhyun nodded and sent him a small smile. “Yeah, I would love too.”

***

“Baekhyun, are you ok?” Chanyeol asked.

Baekhyun shook his head and blinked as he heard Chanyeol call his name. “Huh?”

“You been…spacing out lately.” Chanyeol told him as he eyed him.

Baekhyun shook his head, “I’m fine.” He said.

It wasn’t unusual for Chanyeol and Baekhyun to spend time together on their days off. They would help one another relieve stress by venting over whatever happened that week at the coffee shop or at school. But Baekhyun kept staring off into the distance, as if his mind was elsewhere.

“If there’s something bugging you, I’m here.” Chanyeol assured as he stirred the noodles around in his bowl.

Baekhyun chuckled and shook his head. He reached out for the chopsticks in front of him and dipped them into his ramen. “It’s ok. There’s nothing wrong.” His mind was on the stranger that had been coming in to the coffee shop. The stranger was handsome, and Baekhyun was intrigued. But at the same time, he knew that this person had a soulmate. It was wrong to be thinking of the soulmate of another. And besides, if his own soulmate didn’t want him, why would anyone else?

“I think I should take you out more.” Chanyeol said as he pouted. “Come with me and Jongin tomorrow!” He exclaimed as he grinned wide.

Baekhyun scoffed, “And be a third wheel? No thanks.”

They suddenly heard someone clear their throat from the side of the table. Baekhyun and Chanyeol both turned and Baekhyun’s eyes widened.

The handsome stranger from the coffee shop stood in front of him. He wore a suit and tie again and his watch glistened as the light shone on it. His other hand was shoved into his pocket as usual.

“Hey, you’re the guy from the café?” The stranger asked in his deep voice. A small smile made itself visible as his eyes locked on Baekhyun.

“Um, yeah.” Baekhyun replied.

“I knew you looked familiar.” He replied with a nod.

Baekhyun scoffed, “Yeah, what are the odds we’d meet here suddenly huh?”

“Greater than you know.”

“Hm?”

“You make a really good Americano.”

“Oh, thank you.” Baekhyun said as he giggled. His crescent eyes coming up.

The stranger’s smile slowly went down and it seemed as though his cheeks were going pink. But he quickly composed himself again, “I’m going to be a regular customer there. Maybe we should get better acquainted.”

Baekhyun shrugged, “Sure I guess.”

“I’m Do Kyungsoo.”

“Byun Baekhyun. And this is Park Chanyeol. He works at the café too. So if you’re going to be a regular, then you’ll see him there too.”

Kyungsoo gave Chanyeol a small wave, but his attention quickly went back to Baekhyun. His eyes scanned the ramen in front of Baekhyun, “What’d you order?”

“Oh, just ramen. I’m too broke to get dessert.” He joked.

Kyungsoo chuckled and looked away, “Someone that looks like you should have whatever they want.”

Baekhyun blinked in shock, Chanyeol choked on his ramen.

Kyungsoo giggled and sent him a smirk as he looked into his eyes again. “Actually,” He looked down at his watch, “I need to be going. But I’ll be seeing you.” He said as he walked off.

Chanyeol and Baekhyun watched as he walked towards the door. Baekhyun’s mouth was wide open. Did this guy just call him good looking? Was he flirting?!

Kyungsoo stopped in front of the register and spoke to the cashier. Chanyeol’s attention went to Baekhyun, eyes wide, “Ok…who is that?” Chanyeol asked.

Baekhyun shrugged and shook his head. He wet his lips and looked back at Chanyeol, “A regular customer from the coffee shop. I’m just as confused as you.”

“Damn…is he connected to your string? He looks at you as if he is.”

At the mention of string, his heart sunk. The sting of his soulmate tearing their string was still there and he doubts it would ever go away. It was probably a pain that would stick with him until the end of time.

“He isn’t.” Baekhyun answered.

“Are you sure? ‘cuz it looks like—“

“Drop it Chanyeol! He isn’t, alright?” Baekhyun snapped. He looked over at the waitress who suddenly approached them both with ice cream in a bowl. She placed it in between them with two spoons inside of it.

“Um excuse me? We didn’t order this.” Chanyeol told her as he pouted.

She giggled, “I know. But the guy that left just paid your bill and said to give this to you.” She eyed Baekhyun and smiled, “It seems your soulmate really likes to spoil you.”

Baekhyun’s eyes widened. That guy…Kyungsoo?! He was behind this?

She sent them a little wave and walked away, leaving Baekhyun and Chanyeol flabbergasted.

Chanyeol’s eyes slowly lifted up to meet Baekhyun’s. “Wow…you were saying?”

Baekhyun furrowed his brows and looked out the door. Kyungsoo was nowhere in sight. Was he teasing him? What was wrong with him?! Kyungsoo had a soulmate, there was no reason for him to hit on Baekhyun!

“Might as well dig in right?” Chanyeol said gleefully as he pulled out a spoon and placed it into his mouth.

Baekhyun scoffed and shook his head. “He isn’t my soulmate. What is he doing?”

“Are you sure? It seems like he is.”

“I’m positive he isn’t.”

“Well he said he was going to be a regular. Ask him in person when you see him.”

Baekhyun nodded as he thought about it. Then again, what if Kyungsoo was just being friendly and Baekhyun was just looking too much into it? Maybe he just wanted to be friends, right?