IV: Christmas in LA part 2

A Bazaar Love

...

Even in the almost mansion like house, Jiyeon felt slightly ashamed that they had just made love with his entire family present. She had tried to muffle her moans as best she could. But after such an extended time apart… I'll leave the rest to your own imaginations.

Jiyeon noticed that Daniel had disappeared from his side of the bed. Even from inside, she could faintly hear the voices of his family conversing from downstairs. Which meant they could likely hear— no, she didn’t even want to think about it. She ducked her face into the pillows in embarrassment.

“Aish, why didn’t I stop him.” She grumbled thinking back to the moment he so confidently led her back into his room.

However, it was only for a second, because an uncontrollable grin made its way onto her lips soon after. She bit her lip wishing his mere touch didn’t bring so much joy to the naive idol. But it did, Daniel made her world better. 

12:00 am. Jiyeon read the digital clock on his desk a meter away from the large bed.

Now alone in his dark room, she slowly pulled herself out of his bed, scanning around for her clothes. They were scattered everywhere, her bra messily thrown against his closet, her half hidden underneath the bed. She hastily dressed herself in her sleepwear before finding an ash colored sweatshirt folded neatly on his desk. 

She threw the sweater over her and slid into a pair of sweatpants he had laid out beside it. Surprisingly it fit perfectly. Was he really this skinny at one point? 

Oh wait. She internally slapped herself concluding that it was probably Jenny’s.

Now fully clothed, Jiyeon quietly crept to the door and opened it. Within a few steps, the muffled sound of warm laughter coming from downstairs became apparent. She glanced over the railing and spotted Daniel and his family all seated around the large granite island, an empty plate by each person.

The walk of shame. She knew she had to face his family at some point with him, it was just humiliating thinking that she would have to do so now. Though admittedly, it would’ve been much worse if she had to descend the stairs by his side. 

“Jiyeon-a, you’re up?” Daniel immediately stood up from his stool and beckoned for her to join him. She watched as his family all rose from their seats. Jiyeon grinned feeling slightly embarrassed to interrupt their conversation. 

“Hello.” Jiyeon squeaked out meekly in English. 

“Come join us.” Jenny waived towards her with a large grin on her cute face.

“Here, let me get you a piece of pie. I’ll reheat it for you.” His mother offered her seat up to Jiyeon. 

“Good morning! How did you sleep?” His father greeted her sarcastically. 

Just like Daniel, when they spoke in English it was smooth. There wasn’t any accent that most people in Korea spoke English with. 

“Hey, come on Dad, don’t .” Daniel chuckled as Jiyeon took a seat beside him. 

Sitting beside him, his family on the other side, Jiyeon felt oddly warm. 

“My omma’s pie is very mashisoyo.” Jenny revealed in Konglish. 

Jiyeon would’ve found it strange, but after dating Daniel for so long. He had begun using the mixed language quite often at her request. 

“Aaa, it smells very… good.” Jiyeon was searching for the word, but became confused by the laughter that broke out among the others.

“Did I say it wrong?” She inquired looking towards Daniel for an explanation.

He shook his head, before ruffling her hair slightly. “No, it just sounds like sarcasm when you pause before saying ‘good’.” He translated for her. 

Jiyeon realizing her mistake quickly waived her hands in a flustered motion towards his mother. “I didn’t mean that, I’m so sorry.”

However, it only drew further giggles from his family, his mother smiling brightly towards her. 

“It’s fine Jiyeon-a, help yourself to more if you want. Those two ahjussi’s already had thirds.” She whispered beckoning towards Daniel and his father. 

Jiyeon grinned at his mother’s humor, before her lips at the delicious pie set in front of her. And it was as delicious as it smelled, the subtle smell of cinnamon and apples beneath the golden crust. 

“Do you like it?” Jenny had abandoned her stool and was standing by her mother staring in anticipation for her reaction.

“Ya Jenny, don’t bother her, let her enjoy it after her long flight she must be exhausted.” His mother scolded the college aged girl. 

“Very delicious. Thank you Mrs. Choi.” Jiyeon answered immediately, expressing her gratitude as best she could. 

“Please, just call me eo-meonim.” 

“Yes, please speak comfortably with us, you’ve been dating for long enough, haven’t they. A year? Two?” Daniel’s father chimed in.

Jiyeon blushed at his statement, but thankfully felt Daniel’s assuring arm wrap around her. 

“Yes, a little more than a year now.” Daniel answered for her. 

“Aigoo, how can you not even know that about your son. Huh?” Somehow despite being told that their family had never visited Korea for years. Daniel’s mother at least still seemed to be very comfortable with speaking Korean. 

“It’s great that you’re here. I finally get to hear Daniel speak in Korean now.” 

Jiyeon nodded with a smile before turning back towards her boyfriend. He shrugged his shoulders, acknowledging the statement.

Were they talking about the same Daniel? Sure, the boy she had met in Las Vegas had stuttered through Korean. But he had tremendously in such a short time, she assumed it was his interest.

“This stubborn oppa refused to speak a word of Korean for 17 years of his life.” Jenny .

Jiyeon stared in wonder at him, “Really?” She didn’t even notice as she had smoothly switched to her native tongue.

“He once threw his uneaten lunch when he came home, because he hated Kimbap so much.” His mother revealed.

“He once complained to me that he wanted to change our last name to Bryant.” His father added on. "Like the basketball player."

Jiyeon couldn’t help but giggle as she watched Daniel in his frustrations. 

“Hey, I was young back then, everyone had stages.” Daniel defended himself. 

It was oddly cute, seeing him get teased by his family. The Nation’s Husband, the prodigy Basketball Idol, reduced to an embarrassed son by his family’s teasing.

She must’ve been grinning like crazy because Daniel leaned over into her ear. “Do you want to go to bed?” 

Jiyeon, who was having far too much fun watching the interactions, shook her head. “I’m not tired at all anymore,” before turning to his mother. “If it’s ok with you, may I have another piece?”

The glow that appeared on his mother’s face, made Jiyeon’s heart soar with satisfaction. “Of course, I’m glad you like it.”

Jiyeon had heard from Jenny that his mother had never approved of his past girlfriends. So seeing the smile on her face, made Jiyeon feel a rush of pride inside. 

“I have to ask Jiyeon-a.” His father interrupted the ongoing conversation that Jiyeon had momentarily tuned out of. 

“Yes?” Jiyeon perked her ears up, as she swallowed the bite of pie in . 

“What about our very much lacking son, made you grow to like him?”

Jiyeon giggled slightly. Lacking? If you told any of his fans in Korea that, there could be a riot.

“Um. Is it ok? Korean?” Jiyeon wasn’t quite confident in her English, enough to express her feelings through it.

“Of course.” 

She glanced up at Daniel, his reassuring arm around her shoulder, his gaze completely focused on her. How to even begin?

“I’m not sure how much he told you about our first meeting.”

Besides Jenny, there was confusion on the faces of his parents. Should she not talk about it?

“It’s fine,” Daniel assured her, his hand softly her shoulder.

“It happened when we first met. In Las Vegas.” Jiyeon revealed for the first time.

His mother gasped, before quickly glaring at Jenny, then soon after at Daniel.

“He appeared in my life and rescued me. But that wasn’t why I fell for him. It was the way he stayed by my side. Calming me when I was worried, praising me when I was happy. Even just through texts, he changed my life. At first I thought I was thankful, but it wasn’t gratitude that made me fell that way. I loved him.” When Jiyeon finished talking, there was complete silence in the room.

For a second, she worried she had spoiled the mood. But that changed when she saw the subtle tears that were forming in both his parent’s eyes. 

“You really love him. I can hear it in your voice.” His mother acknowledged in a hushed voice. 

“Thank you. To be honest, I have never prided myself on being a good father to Daniel or to Jenny. But hearing you, I realized that somehow Daniel grew into a good person even without me. And I’m so thankful to you for realizing that and taking care of him.” Even his father was choking on his sobs. 

“Omma, appa? What’s with you today?” Jenny questioned turning towards both her parents, but the younger girl could not hide her tears either.

“Thank you Jiyeon-a.” At his mother’s words, Jiyeon felt her own gratitude start to flow from her eyes as her emotions once again took control. She was enough for him. She felt confident now. Daniel gently rested her head against his shoulder, his hand rubbing small circles into her back.

The conversation didn’t last much longer as the time grew late. His parents went to sleep, and Jenny retired soon after.

“Good night Jiyeon and Daniel. Merry Christmas.” Daniel’s father announced before departing up the stairs.

“Merry Christmas Eo-meonim, Abeonim.” Jiyeon bowed towards them.

The two lovers left alone downstairs, Daniel began washing the dishes and while Jiyeon had tried to help… as usual she had been subjected to sitting on the living room sofa. 

She began texting her parents, assuring them she had arrived safely, and was staying with Daniel's family. When she was finished, she began admiring the nicely decorated house for the second time since she had arrived. The tranquil atmosphere allowed her to have a bettere look; the wreath placed above the fireplace, the white and red ribbons hung around festively, the beautiful Christmas tree with its shining star mounted on the very top. 

It was quite a sight for her. She had always wondered how Daniel spent his Christmases. Seeing his house, observing his very much social family, she deduced it must’ve been quite a celebration. 

She could almost see large gatherings of relatives and friends, small children running around in her imagination. Perhaps even a young Daniel had once roamed the halls searching inncoently for presents.

“When I was young, the gifts underneath the tree used to be the best part of Christmas to me.” Daniel pointed towards the glowing tree.

“Really? You don’t seem like someone who likes toys.” She commented.

Daniel leaned back into the sofa, pulling Jiyeon along with him. Allowing her to once again comfortably lean her head against his broad shoulder. 

“I wasn’t. But back then I used to imagine piles of toys all wrapped up in large presents.”

“You didn’t get any toys?” Jiyeon questioned, even though her family wasn’t by any means rich. She had always received money and toys for New Years and Christmas.

“Jenny did, but my mom always told people to buy me books. Up until I was a senior in High School I always received SAT study guides for Christmas.” 

Jiyeon gasped. That woman? She couldn’t even imagine his sweet mother being strict with him.

Daniel sighed. “My parents weren’t always like this. Although, I guess I was definitely a brat as well.” 

“Really?” 

Even after hearing his family , Jiyeon couldn’t imagine Daniel misbehaving. He was always perfectly behaved, he was voted on a recent poll on Naver as ‘the Celebrity that you want to introduce to your mother as her Son-in-Law’.

“Just like they said, I used to be very rebellious because I didn’t like being Korean back then.” His spoke softly, as he said it. “I used to hate Korean food, hate listening to Korean, that’s why I started learning sports. It was my escape back then.”

Jiyeon snuggled her cheek deeper into his sweater, her eyes gazing at the hurt she could distinguish in his eyes. “That’s why you learned basketball?”

He nodded, “skateboarding, surfing, American football, you name it.”

“It must’ve been hard being different. That was why you rebelled wasn’t it?”

He looked completely speechless by her statement. To the point that Jiyeon worried she had misspoke. 

“Yes. I guess you’re right.” He answered with a tiny smirk.

Her eyes slowly drooping, a food induced coma gently falling over her. The peaceful silence not helping at all.

“It wasn’t until I was in Highschool that I finally felt comfortable in my own skin.”

Pain. She could hear it without even looking at his expression.

For her entire life, Jiyeon had been labeled as beautiful. When she was young she had been compared in appearance to the much more beautiful Kim Taehee. But seeing Daniel reveal more about his life, she felt frustration and regret that she couldn’t further empathize. 

The last thing she wanted to do was pity him. Not when she loved him this much.

“I didn’t always look this good.” Daniel poked her on the cheek. “Are you tired?”

Jiyeon slowly lifted her head. “No. I’m just trying to imagine an unhandsome Daniel. It’s hard to imagine.” 

Noticing the large grin return to his lips. Jiyeon felt a surge of joy in her chest.

“Really?” He inquired with a smirk, “you might come to regret saying that.”

Jiyeon shook her head adamantly. “Everyone goes through puberty. But I’m sure you were still cool back then.”

Then noticing a series of photo frames hung up over the fireplace, Jiyeon lept from her seat to conduct her own investigation.

“Wait Jiyeon,” Daniel called behind her, but it was too late. Jiyeon had already scurried over towards the picture frames. 

There was a series of them. School pictures, family photos from vacations, and well…

On the right, past before his Senior Graduation photo was a sparkling framed photo that drew her attention. 

It was in an outdoor venue. A marble pagoda-like building behind a series of formally dressed couples. There was text behind it, Jiyeon did her best to read it.

“A night to remember Pe La Muh 2011” She sounded out the final word to the best of her ability.

“Prom.” Daniel whispered, his face directly beside hers. His arm brushed against hers as he pointed to the picture. 

“Prom.” Jiyeon repeated. After enough movies, she knew what the word meant. It was the dance party that was held at American high schools.

She spotted him immediately. The image she remembered of him from when they had meant in Vegas, it was roughly the same. His hair was much shorter than at their first meeting, his short hair spiked up with too much gel. She almost giggled at how different it was. 

He was standing by his ex. Several other attractive couples there beside them. “Those are my teammates,” he intentionally passed over addressing any of the females. 

“That’s Jay.” He pointed towards a tall handsome asian boy, who looked to be mixed, possibly part Caucasian. “He was my best friend in High school.” 

“I see.” But despite her words, Jiyeon wasn’t looking at him. 

She was still analyzing the slim asian girl standing beside the young Daniel. Long false lashes, bold black eyeliner, peach lipstick and bronze-ish foundation. Very different than the more popular Ulzzang style makeup that was popular in Korea. She wore a glittering blue mermaid dress with a deep v-neckline. She was definitely pretty, but in Jiyeon’s partially unbiased opinion… Daniel could’ve done way better.

“You look good in a suit. Not a fan of your hair back then though.” She settled on, not wanting to reveal any jealousy.

“That was my senior year. This was me my freshman year, or Middle School grade 3 (Korean system).”

Jiyeon followed him to a picture more near the center of the large shelf of photos. 

There was a photo of a tall yet skinny boy. Unlike in the previous picture, he still had much of his baby fat on his cheeks, he hadn’t developed the broad shoulders or defined jawline that made so many swoon at his image. 

He looked awkward to say the least, standing in his basketball jersey, next to a much more well built boy, who looked to be the ‘Jay’ she had seen in the previous photo.

“Would you still have like me back then?” The question came out of the blue. There was hesitation laced in his voice, as if he almost didn’t want to hear the answer.

This question of course, meant that she had to travel back in time to her past.

When she was in her third year of middle school? What was Jiyeon like in 2008? In 2008 she was in a pictorial with popular boyband SHINee. Back then, people used to praise her for her beauty and male trainees would line up to ask her number.

Even the least shallow person in the world, would’ve had trouble coupling the two with their past images. 

That was why her honest answer was— “Yes,” because it was Daniel. Because of the gentle eyes and goofy smile that was still very much present in the old photos. She had no doubt she still would’ve fallen for him.

There was an extended silence, as she could hear him breathing heavily behind her. His towering frame looming over her, as she slowly felt his hands slide around her waist. 

“You’re making it really hard for me.” Daniel whispered coldly. 

“Why?”

“I hate the thought of not spending everyday with the woman who loves me this much.” He confessed genuinely. 

She hated it too. “Let’s spend each day here, making enough memories to last until you’re done,” she offered. 

Instead of a response, she felt his lips gently find themselves on her neck. She felt a surge of pleasure, as her entire body tensed up. 

“Ya, we’re not doing it in your family’s living room,” she scolded him, nudging her elbow into his stomach. 

“Doing what?” He questioned mischievously. “Did being apart from me, stir up a naughty side in my innocent Jiyeon-a?” 

She rolled her eyes. “Lets sleep so we don’t waste so many mornings sleeping in like we did in New York.” 

Daniel chuckled behind her, before drooping his head like he had just been punished. “Ok mom,” he . 

“Ya!”

Before she could make it another step away, he came from behind and scooped her legs into his arms. Carrying her bridal style all the way up the stairs and into their room. She giggled as he did, enjoying the affectionate action that she had missed so desperately. 

They didn’t celebrate Christmas Eve the way they had done the year before. But somehow it was still just as special. 

Even just waking up was different. His eyes greeted with the miraculous sight of his lover, the moment they opened. A gentle purr coming from the tiny lips, that he wished he could kiss. 

Daniel hadn’t been expecting it at all. The signs were there; the fact that she had subtly removed his tracking ability on his phone, the fact that she had refused to video call him on Christmas Eve of all nights. 

But even with the evidence, the moment he had spotted the shoes. He had suffered a total meltdown of emotions. That was why, when he could hear her subtle breathing behind the door, and became aware from his mother’s poor acting that she was indeed here. He knelt to his knees in gratitude.

At first he was embarrassed by the thought of his parents being around Jiyeon. His father so americanized, his sister such a huge fan, his mother… well just being his mother. 

He didn’t want to show this side of him to her. His embarrassing past. But listening to her, he realized that she already knew everything. She loved him, not the handsome basketball idol, or the popular commercial star. After all, she had loved him, even when he wasn’t a celebrity. 

Like before, he realized he was actually hurting her by second guessing her feelings for him. 

“I’m sorry Jiyeon.” He whispered as quietly as he could, his hand gently caressing her cheek. 

He moved closer to her, wrapping one arm around her side, and bringing his own face inches away from hers.

Somehow, never once had any other girl he dated slept in his room. With Hannah it had either been at her house or in the car. With Ashley it had always been in her apartment or in his dorm room. 

But here she was, the girl of his dreams, resting peacefully in his childhood room. Somehow… somehow in some dream, all those years ago. Before he even left to University, this image had popped into his mind. Because he felt a strange sense of dejavu watching her. 

As the clock ticked to 7:30. He heard a creeping sound past his room. He figured it was his sister, he wondered what she was doing up so early. 

He gently lifted the comforter just enough to slide out of the bed, making sure not to wake his lover. After leaving the room, he could hear a series of voices rising from downstairs. 

He brushed his hand through his hair, fixing it out of his eyes before descending to the first floor. He was met by a nice fragrance, the familiar aroma of bacon, eggs, and… Kimchi? 

Daniel chuckled as he saw his mom already hard at work fixing breakfast. While his father and sister had clearly been relegated to the small table, looking out into sliding glass doors that led to the backyard. 

“Morning son,” his father announced holding up his mug. “Want some coffee?” 

Daniel nodded his head, yawning after remembering how late he and Jiyeon had stayed up talking. 

“Morning oppa.” Unlike her usual greetings, Jenny’s eyes were bright and cheerful as she greeted him. 

“What?” 

“What are you two doing today?” She inquired quizzically. 

Immediately, he felt the wandering gazes of both of his parents as well.  

“Well… you know. I’m not sure, I thought I’d show her around.” Daniel stumbled realizing he had no real plan. 

Which wasn’t really his fault. She had shown up out of the blue. It’s not like he could create a full course itinerary over night.

“That sounds fun.” His mother expressed as she returned to her cooking. 

“I don’t think we’ve had the smell of Kimchi Jiggae for breakfast in sometime. You should invite your girlfriend more often.” His father teased, opening up his tablet like someone would pick up a newspaper. 

“I’ll try to.” Daniel mumbled taking a seat next to Jenny. 

He began tapping awkwardly on the table, it had been a while since he had ate breakfast with his family. When he had come for the summer, his sister was always gone, and his parents often slept in. 

He came to the simple conclusion that, it was her. Her presence that had brought his family back together again. 

And Christmas might’ve played a small part as well. 

“So, whose idea was it?” Daniel brought up the topic glancing towards his sister then his mother soon after. 

Jenny shrugged her shoulders. “It was Omma’s idea.” 

“I paid for the tickets though.” His father chimed in, reading spectacles now placed over his eyes. 

“Alright, thank you Appa, Omma. I can pay you back if you want.” 

“Why would you say that?” His mother scolded him. “We wanted to meet her just as much as you did.” 

“I know, she told me she was really nervous at first.”

“More nervous than when you spent 4 hours questioning me on how to meet her parents?” 

Daniel sighed, recalling how desperately he had begged his mother for advice. 

"Touche." At that moment, they were interrupted by the light taps of someone’s footsteps slowly coming down the stairs. 

A tiny adorable yawn, divulged that it was indeed Jiyeon. She was wearing his grey sweater, and even with its loose fit, she looked gorgeous in it. The knit material nicely tucked into the sweatpants that Jenny had given him for her to wear.

Her long brown hair was slightly ruffled and eyes still filled with sleep, yet she still managed to take his breath away. 

There was a series of awkward smiles that greeted her, from his family.

“Jiyeon-a,” he stood up to greet her. “Good morning. Are you hungry?”

But she didn’t show any reaction to his words. Instead she smiled and moved gracefully towards him. Daniel beckoned for her to take his seat, and his mother set down a bowl in front of Jiyeon.

"Thank you." His girlfriend expressed in delight. 

Somehow, no matter the dish, Jiyeon could always find ways to express a genuine love for the food. It was almost a talent in itself. 

Daniel watched as his mother smiled before quickly returning to the pot to serve herself. 

"Wow, celebrities are really different up close. You're really so pretty even without makeup." His mother commented her eyes darting between Jiyeon and Jenny. 

Jenny frowned momentarily, but Jiyeon quickly came to her defense. "Oh no, Mrs. Choi, I put on some makeup before I came downstairs... my bareface is pretty ugly."

However, Daniel could tell that she was only being polite, and he was pretty sure his mother knew as well.

"Anyways, because you are here, we get to have a special meal. So thank you Jiyeon-a." His father commented before continuing in a different direction. "But we're all wondering, do you have any specific places you'd like to visit while you're here?"

His father's directness was no surprise. But Daniel could only cringe, as he noticed her slightly flustered expression.

"Oh, I don't really have any places in mind. I was just curious about Daniel's life while he was here." Jiyeon explained. "I'm just happy to be able to meet all of you."

Hearing her put him at ease. If she wanted to learn about his life... he figured he could show her around. Though, there was definitely one place he knew he wanted to bring her. At the right time of course.

"You two should have a school uniform date!" Jenny leaped to her feet, with an imaginary light bulb floating over her head. "Like in the dramas, except like 'LA version'." 

Daniel stared blankly at his sister, unsure if he should be embarrased by the childish idea or enthralled.

"That's a great idea, Daniel you can wear your old letterman's jacket." His mother unexpectedly chimed in.

"I can dress you like an ABG. You'd look totally pretty like that." 

Jiyeon seemed to be deep in thought as she considered the idea, because Daniel had no clue what she was thinking.

"I like it." She answered in a hushed voice.

"Are you sure?" Daniel wanted to double check.

"I really like it."

Seeing the affirming smile, Daniel knew there was no way he was getting out of it. Between late nights at the libraries, long basketball practices, and workouts at the gym with Jay. His social life had been quite limited. To be honest, the reason he was hesitant to agree, was because he wasn't sure what reliving high school meant either. 

A bowling alley? Santa Monica? Korea Town? The movies?

Daniel would have to think carefully. He wanted her time to be memorable. For the 25 year old boy, a million worries were finally starting to creep into his mind. 

/////

This part 2 and there will probably another 1 or 2 parts depending on how much i am inspired. If you're really interested I'll definitely put more work into this. Otherwise I'll return back to the previous apartment date. I know many of you are interested in the reveal, and I promise that's on the way. Sorry for the late post, and hopefully i can continue this weekly chapter basis.