IV: What about us

A Bazaar Love

...

Jiyeon was flustered to say the least; to say the most, she felt like a giant machete had just been into her heart. And her assailant grinned mercilessly as he tore her into two seperate pieces. Torn to the point, part of her wished that whatever deity had helped her before, would just take her now.

“There’s no need to be nervous.” Thank god she had taken acting lessons, because miraculously she managed to suppress her feelings. However, she hesitated as she wondered how to introduce their relation, “Daniel is a friend of mine.”

“Really?” The cute girl peeked from behind him, total wonder in her uncannily similar eyes to her father. 

“It’s nice to meet you Choi Michelle. How old are you?” Jiyeon flashed a bright smile as she got on one knee, utilizing the same poster smile she wore for hundreds of CFs. 

“I’m 5 years old.” She answered holding up her tiny hand for all to see, “but in Korea I’m six.”

“Ah I see, you’re very smart.” 

“You’re T-ara Jiyeon, I’m your best fan.” The girl revealed the nightstick she had hidden behind her back.

“That’s right, I’m Jiyeon. Thanks for coming to our concert tonight.” 

Hesitantly she took several steps towards Jiyeon’s crouching figure.

“You’re really pretty unnie.” The girl voiced out totally awestruck.

“Thank you Michelle.”

“How about me?” Dani suddenly butted in, as the girl turned to face the Maknae. There was a look of anticipation on Dani's face as she too flashed her iconic grin.

“Pretty. But unnie is prettier.” Michelle remarked surprisingly bluntly pointing back towards Jiyeon.

“Hey Michelle, let’s use our good manners ok?” Daniel scolded her lightly, a strict yet caring voice.

Wow. There really was a reason her members had gushed that men that get along with kids are so attractive. Seeing the maturity on his expression as he chided his daughter could make any girl swoon.

“Ani (no) ani, I definitely 100% agree with you on that.” Dani joked, garnering a giggle from the cute girl.

“If I’m your favorite member, you can say I’m your choe-ae idol (bias).” Jiyeon explained.

“Ah, then my choe-ae idol is unnie!” There was something about the way that Michelle enunciated each syllable carefully that made the words melt her heart.

“Hey Michelle-ah, the other members just texted saying they’d like to meet you too. Would that be ok?” Dani interrupted as she smiled towards Jenny.

“Ya that would be great. Michelle why don’t we go meet the other members of T-ara?” Jenny answered immediately as she walked over and took the 6 year old’s hand in hers. 

“Ok Jenny unnie.” Michelle glanced from Dani’s eyes to Jenny’s, and everyone realized that they were purposely leaving to give Jiyeon and Daniel some privacy.

Before Jiyeon could even attempt to stop the awkward situation, with the slam of the door, the two old friends were left alone. Even Daniel seemed quite flustered as he glanced towards the door several times during the following seconds of silence. 

“You’re a very lucky guy, she’s such a cute little girl.” Jiyeon commented, her mind searching for anything to possibly ease the tense atmosphere. 

That’s when her eyes stumbled upon it, on his left hand, there was a small silver band. It was simple yet elegant, it really fit him. The smile of the boy next door, yet the body of an action star. 

“Ah, she sure is, isn’t she.” Daniel remarked with a proud smile, but that topic didn’t last a second longer, as they both continued their awkward floor gazing. 

He was married. The ring confirmed it. But she didn’t want to hear it, she didn’t want to hear the words come from his mouth.

“Congrats. By the way. On all of your success recently, I felt bad that I never got to tell you.” Daniel suddenly praised her, clearly trying to make conversation.

Why didn’t he ever say anything then? Would one message be so hard?

“Thanks.” She mumbled back, “I found a lot of your advice back then… quite helpful.”

“I’m glad.”

She couldn’t believe it, how had they gone from close friends to this? She could still remember their long casual conversations over text messages. But was meeting your online penpal always this awkward?

“How about—” 

“—I should probably.” Daniel cut her off unintentionally. “I mean, you go first.”

“No,” Jiyeon quickly waived her hands in front of her. “What were you going to say?”

“I mean, I should probably check in on Michelle, she can be a trouble maker if left alone for too long.” 

For a moment, Jiyeon pondered telling him to stay. Asking him why he chose someone else over her. Questioning why they never even gave each other a chance.

But it was only for a moment. Because instead she watched helpless agony as he left the dressing room first, leaving her alone to process all that had happened.

With more questions and pain then when he had first entered, Jiyeon forced herself back to the mirror. She had worried it might be a mistake to meet him again. But this was worse, worse than even her wildest imaginations. He was married?

 

Jiyeon didn’t leave her dressing room when she saw Dani text that they were leaving. Instead, she finally let her emotions roam free. She felt as if an avalanche of pain had crashed onto her shoulders, the heavy burden of regret.

 A swarm of tears began to pour from her eyes. 

She began clutching her heart, as she barely choked down a sob forcing itself from . She was too late.

Grasping the table with desperation, she felt her legs give out, and gravity forced her onto her knees. Outside the door, she could fainly decipher voices.

“Daebak, she’s so cute.”

“I know, totally cute.”

“Seeing it makes me want a kid just like that.”

“Me too, I thought I wanted a boy first, but she totally changes my mind.”

The door swung open, and Jiyeon shifted away from vision, until she realized it was only Soyeon and Dani.

She must’ve looked a total mess, crying her eyes out with no regard to the heavy stage makeup that had never been removed. 

“Jiyeon-ie!” Soyeon called in concern, as she rushed towards her.

“What’s wrong unnie?” Dani cried out joining her.

Jiyeon couldn’t voice out anything no matter how hard she tried. Her words stuck caught in as she found herself short of breath.

Why had she let herself be so exposed, so expecting?

Love, why did it have to hurt so damn much?

 

Jiyeon wondered which friend was going to provide comfort this time. Once again, on Dani’s unsuasible orders, she was forced out of her apartment to meet an unnamed person. Although she was definitely predictable, Jiyeon figured it might be Inna unnie again, maybe Jieun or even Luna.

If there could be a membership for the Hangang river park, Jiyeon definitely was a VIP member. Many a night she found herself walking or running away her worries, masked behind the veil of Seoul’s dark night. Seeing the calm river, and brightly lit tall buildings just had a quelling affect on her stress.

When she was here, she sometimes found herself drifting out of reality as scenes of her dating someone played in her mind. She knew it was her imagination, but they often seemed so real. And it was always the same person… him

If only she knew she had been fantasizing about someone she could never lust after.

Not only did was he married, but he had a daughter. What kind of total monster would she be to pursue that kind of person.

“Jiyeon unnie,” the voice made her freeze in her tracks. Despite her earlier predictions it wasn’t Inna or Jieun. No, it was totally unfamiliar to her.

She might’ve assumed it was a stalker or a fan, except that the American accent gave away the female voice. She was certain that Dani had insane intentions now, and promised to herself to scold the young girl when she returned.

“Dani-ssi told me to meet you here.” The girl revealed. 

“Ah, Jenny-ssi. Nice to see you again.” Jiyeon answered as brightly as she could. 

Just when she had come to escape from thoughts of him. The sister’s resemblance to him both physically and audibly was definitely not helping. 

“At first I thought I was crazy, but when we all met together. Dani-ssi made me realize I wasn’t crazy.” 

Jiyeon wasn’t sure what she was talking about. Was she referencing their song? So Crazy

“I don’t want to into either of your personal lives, but I wanted to clear a few things up,” she continued as they both found a nearby bench to talk.

In the darkness, Jiyeon could recognize the warm eyes of both Choi siblings. It almost seemed a waste that neither were celebrities, because they were undoubtedly marketable.

Jiyeon almost tuned out Jenny’s first statement, except that it was so wild that she couldn’t even attempt to ignore it.

“It’s true that Michelle is his daughter, but he’s not married.” Jenny revealed.

The serious expression on her face. The bluntness of her voice. 

She wasn’t joking.

Jiyeon didn’t understand. “But the ring…”

At the mention of the metal band, Jenny grinned, before furiously shaking her head. “It’s a promise ring he wears, Michelle has the same one on a necklace.” 

“Then how?” Jiyeon questioned, completely taken aback.

 

2012 

“Oppa do you love her?” Jenny asked, trying her hardest to remain calm.

“I told her I’d take responsibility.” Daniel answered coldly to her.

“But do you love her? How are you going to live together if you don’t love her? What about the child?” Jenny questioned, she really couldn’t understand her older brother. 

That summer he had mysteriously entered a depressed state as soon as he returned from University. As the summer break continued on, he seemed to be less and less of himself, and more strange. On her and his friends’ recommendation he had flown back to New York to spend  a week or two with his girlfriend. 

And Jenny thought things were finally working out. He seemed to finally be over his horrible ex Hannah, and to be honest; Jenny approved of Ashley. 

She was smart, pretty, and seemed to be a good person overall.

The problem was that Daniel didn’t talk about her the way he used to with Hannah. Whenever she asked him about his girlfriend, he gave abrupt and bland answers. For the first time Jenny questioned whether he even loved the girl he was dating.

When he returned almost 3 weeks later, he wasn’t the same. He kneeled in front of their  parents and told them Ashley was pregnant. 

Despite her parents wishes, Daniel stood firm in his decision that he would take care of the child and would encourage Ashley to have the child as well. 

In almost any case Jenny would’ve supported her brother, but the problem was he didn’t even seem to love her. So why would he consider spending the rest of his life taking care of her child. 

“Jenny, it’s my fault. Isn’t it? The baby didn’t do anything wrong, so why should she suffer?” Daniel explained that night.

“But oppa, you still have so much of your life ahead of you. That’s why omma and appa are so worried. What about basketball? The coach said he’ll let you play next semester.”

“It’ll be ok, alright Jenny? Just trust me. I have everything under control.”

 

“She wants me to quit the team.” 

Jenny had actually liked his girlfriend, Ashley Kim. But now she couldn’t understand her at all. Didn’t she know how much basketball meant to him?

“You shouldn’t, you told me last week, the coach told you you’ll be a starter.” Jenny protested. 

“She told me that she felt like she was having the baby on her own.” 

That … her brother poured every ounce of his spare time into his girlfriend. How insecure was she that she wanted to take everything from him.

“Oppa.”

“I’m going to quit Jenny.” Behind the forced calm, there was frustration and anger. But he wasn’t the type to let it show. 

“Appa and Omma will probably like that won’t they? They never wanted me to play in the first place.” Daniel’s voice was clearly trembling over the phone. It made Jenny’s heart ache for her older brother just hearing it. 

Why was her brother so selfless? Why did he let that girl completely control him when he didn’t even love her? Was it his guilt from his ex?

Was it because of High school? 

“Daniel, you need to focus on yourself too. Basketball is your dream, are you really going to give that up?” Jenny pleaded. 

“To be honest, I don’t feel the same motivation for it as I once did.”

She didn’t understand. Nothing made sense, one summer he had come home and picked up the sport he had sworn to throw away. The next he was giving it away.

“Anyways, tell omma and appa that I’m doing fine, so they don’t need to worry.”

“Oppa!” 

 

“Jenny. She’s gone.” Daniel’s lifeless voice sounded over the phone.

“What?” Jenny almost dropped the phone she held up to her ear. 

She had been quietly reading by their pool when she had received several messages begging her to call.

“She left, she dropped out. She’s gone.” 

“Ashley?”

“Yes.”

“YA! You idiot! How can you let her just leave?” Jenny screamed. “What the hell happened?”

“We fought last night, and fell asleep after putting the baby to bed last night. When I woke up she had packed up and was gone, all she left was a note.” He was panicking, the calm and composed brother she knew didn’t sound anything like his usual self. 

She knew she was stupid to think that his depressed state would just disappear with the entrance of Michelle. But he sounded so confident when he told her and her parents to trust him. 

That Daniel was gone, her oppa sounded totally broken.

After everything with Hannah, he didn’t deserve this. What a cruel ed up world they lived in.

“What the ! She didn’t say anything before? What the hell is on the note?” Jenny slowly calmed herself, as she knew she was only stressing him further.

“I don’t know what to do? What do I do Jenny?” There was desperation and pain in his voice. As if on some terrible cue, the sound of the baby screaming rang in the background.

“Jenny, I’m so scared… What am I going to do?” 

“I’m getting mom and dad. Ok? Just hold on.” 

“Alright…” He seemed hesitant to ask their parents. 

She knew it was because of the disapproval they gave him. She hated that this pride was the reason Daniel called her instead of going straight to their parents. 

“Michelle, calm down ok? Don’t cry, Omma’s not here, omma’s not here right now. Please don’t cry. Appa will take care of you.” Daniel’s panicked voice cried towards the child.

Jenny immediately lept from the sun chair and into the house, screaming for her parents. 

 

 

“She said that the situation was too stressful and that she couldn’t live with him when he didn’t love her… in the end Daniel got full custody of the child.”

Jiyeon felt tears rushing down her eyes as she listened to the story. This had happened to him? That summer, while fate had magically kept her from trouble, his life had completely fallen apart. 

How had she ever thought that giving up their friendship had benefit her. For some reason… for some reason she felt guilty about the situation. All of his suffering, she knew she hadn’t done anything, but for some reason she felt like she could’ve prevented it. Like she could’ve saved him.

“For a whole year, my parents pestered him to give up Michelle for adoption, but he refused. So he stayed in New York, working and raising the child on his own. Until finally my mother begged for him to return home with the child. Ever since, he’s been studying here and started working right after graduation.”

Jiyeon couldn’t even imagine what it must be like. Raising a child on your own… this must’ve been why he looked so different from the Daniel she remembered from Vegas. Instead of carefree and goofy, this Daniel was completely matured. Like he had been stripped of the innocence of youth that had once made him the caring boy who saved her.

To think he was the same age as her… why did her heart throb now… was it pity?

“Thank you Jenny, thank your for telling this… but I have to ask. Why are you telling me?” Jiyeon didn’t want to spoil the mood. But the question had been lingering as her heart ached from listening to his story. 

“Because you like my oppa don’t you?” Jenny announced without hesitation. “I’m sorry if I sound blunt, but I learned about your friendship about a year ago.”

Jiyeon felt her cheeks grow warm as she heard the words. A chill ran down her back as she shuffled through her mind to think of an appropriate response. 

But then again… what was the point of being coy, “I do.”

“I like your brother, I still don’t completely understand why. But the moment I saw him, I knew that he was someone who deserves to be loved, and I want to be that person.”

A bright smile showed on Jenny’s face, “Then unnie, I’ll help you. But it won’t be easy.”

Of course it wouldn’t be. Hearing Jenny’s story, she knew he had been betrayed twice by the people he trusted. 

“Are you free on Friday?” 

 

“Thanks so much for doing this.”

He was standing in the doorway to her apartment/dorm, his tall figure and muscular build accentuated by the navy merino sweater. He looked dashing to say the least, his hair nicely combed, and his eyes glimmering in the darkness. 

“Annyeong Unnie.” Michelle greeted leaving her place next to her father, and rushing straight into the apartment.

“Of course, have fun meeting your relatives.” Jiyeon whispered, as she glanced back towards an equally excited Dani who had taken Michelle into her arms.

“She doesn’t have an allergies, but she likes spicy things, and… and she get’s grumpy if she doesn’t have an afternoon nap.” Daniel recounted things, reading off a list inside of his mind. 

“Alright no allergies, and make sure she takes a nap.” Jiyeon repeated back towards him like an adolescent babysitter. Though truthfully, Dani probably fit that category. 

“I’m sure she’ll have a lot of fun, and thanks again Jiyeon.” There was something about his voice, it just drew you towards him. The amount of genuine gratitude she could feel in it.

“Bye Daniel.” She watched as he turned around, revealing his wide shoulders. Giving her a moment to fawn over the handsome boy once more before disappearing from sight.

“So what do you want to do Michelle?” Jiyeon asked moving calmly towards the little girl.

“I’m going to be a good girl today.” Michelle announced. “I promised appa.”

“Ah is that so?” Dani chuckled as she placed Michelle down onto the sofa. “But surely there’s something you wanted to do while you’re here in Seoul.”

The six year old seemed to ponder something, drifting into a moment of deep concentration. 

“Karaoke!” 

“Call.” Dani responded with an ‘ok’ hand signal, “but I have to warn you, once I get started I may never stop.”

Jiyeon giggled as she grabbed her car keys to go to a nearby Karaoke bar that she and her members sometimes frequented. 

 

It was almost unbelievable the amount of energy that could be packed into one girl. Especially one of that age. Even the usually bright and energetic Dani seemed totally wiped as Michelle continued through the first chorus of BTS’s Fire. 

The little girl was actively swinging her arms out and in as she stepped forward towards the screen.

“When I wake up in my room

 Nan mwosdo eopsji”

Jiyeon who had been quietly observing while Dani and Michelle sang and danced, could only grin in amusement. 

“Are you hungry Michelle?” She inquired, noticing almost 2 hours had passed since they had first arrived. 

At first there was a rhythmic shaking of her head, but seconds later the growling of her stomach betrayed her tiny stomach. “I guess I’m hungry.”

Then as if remembering earlier instructions, she bowed her head slightly, “if it’s ok with the unnies.”

“Of course Michelle, let’s go get something to eat. Dani?”

“I’m totally burnt up.” Dani made a quick pun off the ongoing track.

“What’s your favorite food?” Jiyeon questioned returning Michelle’s tiny hoodie to her, as she passed her credit card towards Dani to go pay for the room. 

“Seolleong-tang.” The girl replied happily.

“Really? That’s my favorite too.” 

“My halmeonni always buys it for me from Korea town.”

“You both have old people tastes.” Dani joked peeking back into the small karaoke room to signal she was finished paying.

“I know a great restaurant for Seoleong tang.” Jiyeon revealed happy to finally find a fellow fan of the milky broth. Most of her other members complained that it was too bland, or the opposite that it was too fattening. 

Needless to say, Jiyeon rarely went to this restaurant unless it was on her own. Relying on her manager to pick it up and deliver it to her shoots when she had a craving.

Almost unconsciously, Jiyeon took the little girl’s hand in her own, as the two began walking down the streets of Gangnam towards their car. Dani trailed behind slightly, looking on her phone, probably texting the other members. 

A couple of minutes passed, before she felt tiny little fingers wiggle and slowly intertwine with hers. It felt… oddly satisfying. 

Jiyeon glanced down, and saw a look of complete adoration on the young Michelle’s face. No wonder Jenny told her that Michelle was everything to Daniel. She was like a little ball of sunshine, that could be doted upon.

While Dani and Jiyeon wore masks, the cute Michelle just wore a smile on her face. Without even looking, Jiyeon was sure that this girl had probably brightened the day of anyone who glanced towards her. 

 

    Daehan: How’s everything going? 

    Jiyeon: Fine

    Jiyeon: Michelle’s taking a nap

    Daehan: Really? That’s great, she hasn’t been taking one since she got here because of the jet lag

    Jiyeon: Ah, well after seeing Dani pass out, I’m sure she felt bad

    Daehan: That’s great, again thanks for doing this

    Jiyeon: How is your relatives?

    Daehan: Boring

    Daehan: Now that I’m a father, I’m officially part of the adult conversations

    Jiyeon: I think that just comes with passing 20

    Daehan: Do you think?

    Daehan: Anyways, I just wanted to check in

    Jiyeon: Michelle’s doing fine, no need to worry

Jiyeon glanced up form her phone, she currently sitting crosslegged on one of the island stools of her kitchen. Gazing out onto the large living room, where on one sofa Dani was totally passed out, and the loveseat held a sleeping Michelle. Or at least she looked like she was sleeping.

Out of curiosity, Jiyeon made her way towards the 2 person sofa. She crouched down in front of the adorable girl, and reached out her hand. Before she could even lay a finger on her, Michelle’s eyes shot open. She wasn’t sleeping.

“Are you not tired?” Jiyeon inquired slightly concerned.

“No. I’m just so happy.” The large white pearls that were her eyes reflected the genuine joy she truly felt.

“Really? You’re not sad you didn’t get to see your relatives? Are they boring?” The question had occurred to her several times. Although she was thankful for the opportunity to involve herself in Daniel’s life. 

Why was she babysitting Michelle?

The girl shook her head. “Last time I saw my relatives, they said that I was my daddy’s biggest mistake,” she must’ve been exhausted because she spoke in English.

Regardless Jiyeon understood every word.

Her jaw dropped the moment she heard the words. She knew that Korea was extremely unfriendly to single mothers and fathers. But, hearing a child her age repeat those words shredded her heart. Who the hell had the nerve to tell that to a young girl? Jiyeon felt upset and enraged just at the thought. 

Jiyeon must’ve been completely out of it, because she found herself caressing Michelle’s cheek. Her only thought to be a source of comfort for such a mistreated girl. 

“That’s not true, you know that right?” She whispered sniffling as she said the words.

“Unnie, are you crying?” 

Jiyeon quickly joined her on the sofa and wrapped her arms around her, slowly allowing silent tears to flow down her cheeks. “You’re not a mistake, don’t ever listen to those people ok?” 

“You’re really important Michelle. You’re going to do great things when you grow up, I can already see it.”

Jiyeon wasn’t sure if she was talking to her anymore, or just muttering nonsense. She continued her embrace for sometime, lightly patting the back of the six year old girl. 

Until finally she heard a light purr coming from between her arms. Jiyeon gently released Michelle and noticed she had miraculously fallen asleep leaning against her lap. 

Jiyeon didn’t dare to move a muscle, as she continued cradling her between her arms. “You’re special Michelle,” she whispered.

Gently the long brown hair belonging to the curled up girl, a faint smiled formed on her face. Was this what it was like to be a mother? 

Was this what female celebrities sacrificed when they abstained from marriage until their older years?

Suddenly, Michelle whispered something to Jiyeon. “Thank you… omma.”

 

“Goodnight Michelle.” Daniel whispered as he hovered over his daughter’s grinning face. 

“I don’t want to sleep.” Michelle mumbled as she threw her arms up in protest.

“Michelle. If you don’t sleep, you’re going to be all grumpy tomorrow, and we won’t be able to have our date.” Daniel reasoned to her.

“How was seeing the uncles and aunties?” 

He nodded his head, “it was good to see them again.” But it really wasn’t. Seeing their judgmental gazes towards him as he arrived at the family gathering. 

“I missed you a lot though.” Daniel affirmed himself as he tickled her cheek. 

“Appa.”

“Yes?”

“I didn’t miss you at all.” Michelle grinned cheekily as she said the words. 

“Is that so? It must be because you had so much fun with the unnies right?” Daniel smiled thinking about how much fun it must’ve been for Michelle to meet her idol.

Well, to be more exact his idol. The reason Michelle was a fan, was probably because he frequently listened to T-ara, watched her dramas, and sometimes had their music videos playing in the background as he played with her. 

“It was so much fun. We went to Karaoke and I got a really really high score. Then we got Seoleongtang just like in Ktown, and then we got ice cream, and then we went shopping and bought matching wrist bands.” Michelle was cutely holding up her wrist as a leather band was wrapped around it. 

It was her fifth time she was telling him. In fact that had been all his daughter had talked about since getting back. It was almost disappointing to see his daughter say that she didn’t miss him at all, when he had constantly worried about her.

Except that he didn’t mind one bit. Michelle deserved this after how knowing how nervous she had been to come. It was her first time being outside of the US, and he knew that she had experienced trauma the last time she had met relatives. 

He could still remember hearing his older cousin’s son tell Michelle that his mother said she was Daniel’s mistake. Since then, Daniel had grown to despise his extended family, and the judgmental Korean standards that so many had.

Still, seeing Michelle’s satisfied grin, Daniel knew he had made the right choice in taking her with him. 

“Appa, unnie’s much prettier in person, isn’t she?” 

The question came out of nowhere. Daniel almost scoffed, and commented that he had seen her ‘in-person’ before Michelle was born. 

“She’s pretty.” Daniel settled on, it was the truth after all. 

He still didn’t understand why Jiyeon had agreed to help him. But, he couldn’t lie, the short moments that he had to just admire her were like treasure. She was just beautiful as he remembered, and now she had the aura of one of Korea’s top stars. 

Even cosmetic ads couldn’t do her large eyes justice. 

“Appa, are you blushing?” 

“Go to bed.” Daniel firmly shifted the subject, as he quickly turned away from vision.

“Unnie told me I was special.”

Daniel had only taken a few steps from the bed, when he froze. “Hmm?” He tried to remain calm. 

“I told unnie how people called me a mistake. And unnie said that I shouldn’t listen to them, she said I was special.” Michelle said it more to brag that her bias had acknowledged her.

But to Daniel, it seemed insane. Why had she said those things? 

For a moment he was almost embarrassed and ashamed to hear that Michelle said those things to her. But he knew that it was his pride. No matter how shameless it was, he wished she didn’t hear about his family’s struggles. 

He wished that it wasn’t pity that made Jiyeon and everyone else show kindness to him.

Honestly, he had debated even letting her know about Michelle. But what kind of father would that make him? 

“Michelle, I’m glad that you feel comfortable around Jiyeon. But hearing that makes most people feel uncomfortable ok? I’m sure you put her in a tough spot saying that.” Daniel warned his daughter. 

“Sorry appa.” 

“It’s nothing to be sorry about, its not your fault. It’s just how the world is.” Daniel hated that he needed to have this kind of conversation with her. 

“But appa, Jiyeon unnie isn’t like that, I think she really meant it.” 

“Alright, let’s really go to bed now, it’s almost 10 o’clock way past your bed time.” Daniel knew he had to stand firm now, otherwise his lingering questions might lead them both to stay up for another hour.

“Good night Michelle.” He whispered as he shut off the light to the bedroom.

“Appa.”

“Mhm?” 

“I don’t want Jiyeon to be my unnie.” Her voice spouted out abruptly.

“Huh, why?” Daniel couldn’t hide his curiosity.

“I wish she could be my omma.”

“Good night Michelle.” Of all of the silly things she said. This was actually crazy. 

Daniel almost laughed as he gently shut the door to the room of their rented Airbnb. 

“Is she asleep?” Jenny’s voice inquired from the living room. 

“Sort of.” Daniel shrugged his shoulders as he joined her. 

“Want to drink?” She held up a bottle of soju she had bought on their way home from a nearby convenience store.

He chuckled as he nodded. After such a stressful day listening and feigning smiles to the people who he knew talked behind his back… a drink sounded perfect. 

“Please.” 

Daniel didn’t usually drink, he knew his tolerance wasn’t great, which meant that if he had a hangover, he might not be able to take care of Michelle. But, it was his vacation, so he might as well let loose a little. 

“Relax a little oppa, you’ve been too uptight since we’ve got here.” 

“I’m trying, it’s just hard.” Daniel glanced towards Michelle’s room. Even a few drinks in, he couldn’t help but worry.

“Anyways Michelle and I planned you two’s date tomorrow, so I’ll take her shopping first, and you just meet her at the location.” Jenny explained. 

At some point, Daniel had forgotten or missed a ‘Saturday date’ he tried to keep good on with his daughter. And now Michelle was redeeming that date here. It wasn’t like Daniel had other plans anyways. 

“Alright, but why do you look so suspicious?” He noticed that Jenny’s eyes darted between her phone and him. What was she looking at? Who was she texting?

Daniel knew that her and Kim Dani had hit it off big time, with both of them being Korean American. But it still felt awkward that his sister had the numbers of a Kpop girl group. 

He must’ve been at least a two bottles of soju’s deep, when he started to loosen his barriers. “Where did my life go wrong Jenny?” 

“What happened to all of my motivation?” 

“Why don’t I feel happy anymore?”

Even drunk, Daniel shushed his voice, careful to keep his words from being audible into the other room. That was how guilty he felt towards his daughter. He really was pathetic when he thought about it.