IV: Separated but not apart

A Bazaar Love

… 12.24.2017

ESPN report: Point guard Daniel Choi delivers 25 points and 12 assists  Christmas game and defeat the 76ers 120-105. Choi averaging 23 points and 8 assists for the season.

“On this week on ESPN’s Get up! Let’s talk about Daniel Choi the New York Knicks star. The Knicks currently (20-12) defeated the (16-18) 76ers. Now averaging 24 points and 8 assists for the season. Are the Knicks a real threat with him on the team? Or is the team just playing easy opponents?” The female host introduced the topic.

“Well on the topic of Daniel Choi I would like to make an official statement.” The cohost stared towards the camera. 

“I would like to apologize about my statement about him. I was wrong, this brother is a player. Don’t get me wrong, the Knicks might not contend for a championship, but Daniel Choi is the real deal.” 

“Now let me disagree with you, we’ve seen this before. An Asian point guard in New York playing well during the regular season. I’m not going to say anything yet until he proves it against the best competition.” The other host disagreed referencing the earlier success of Jeremy Lin.

“Well sitting comfortably as the 4th seed the New York Knicks, I’m sure we’ll hear more about them.” The female host ended.

...

(Christmas in LA, parts 1-3) 

… 1.2.2018

Koreaboo: Queens sign petition demanding for MBK to keep T-ara together

With the end of their contracts looming, and no comebacks in sight. Several Korean Queens began an online petition and posted it on Naver. Many fans of the group new and old began signing it, and it quickly passed over 1 million signatures by the end of the week. With the petition trending No. 1 on twitter in over 5 countries including Vietnam, the Philippines, and Malaysia. 

The petition also spread all over Chinese social media sights, as Chinese fans flooded to show their support.

… 1.5.2018

AnyKpop: Despite petitions, T-ara announces official disband after remaining members: Jiyeon, Qri, Hyomin, and Eunjung do not renew contracts with MBK Entertainment. 

The New York Times

Times Topics Basketball

Latest: 

[January 10, 2018] Why Daniel Choi is the perfect redemption story not just for Koreans but for all Asians?

[January 12, 2018] Is Daniel Choi good for Korea’s economy? Why Koreans stopped calling him the Basketball idol and started calling him Nation’s Husband

[January 13, 2018] Is he Korean or Korean American? Daniel Choi talks Asian racism and more in this interview.

[January 21, 2018] Is squinting in celebration racist? NBA responds to backlash of racist challenges towards New York Knick’s Daniel Choi.

… 1.23.2018

“Are you really just starting reading that report?” Inna questioned over her shoulder.

Jiyeon stared at the long 5 page document full of research and annotations. 

It was a list of all of the entertainment agencies she had met with about becoming a solo artist. With her climbing popularity after her successful variety show appearances, and the end of her scandal. Some larger agencies had even reached out about having her sign as an entertainer. 

However, in terms of the detailed report full of research and analysis on their business strategies it meant nothing to her. The reason she even had it was, because in his spare time Daniel had requested she actually look into her options carefully. 

She didn’t understand, he should’ve been spending time with his teammates, bonding with them. But instead, his spare time seemed to be filled with him video chatting with her, or recommending things. 

He had even figured out how to order delivery for her from an entirely different country. 

This was why out of guilt, Jiyeon had finally started reading the report he had written. She was at Inna’s house again, with Inna no longer doing the daily radio show, she too spent much of her time at home.

By default they practically moved in together. Jiyeon had already spent the last four days sleeping over. They invited Luna and Jieun, but both had left after a day.

“It’s so long, and I don’t understand what any of these numbers mean.” Jiyeon huffed, blowing her bangs out of her hair. 

Inna stared for longer, her adorable eyes gazing directly at the screen. 

“No idea either,” Inna shrugged cluelessly. “Still… I envy you. A handsome boyfriend who cares about you enough to work on this.”

“He’s just bored and introverted.” Jiyeon mumbled, still trying to decipher whether Projected Stock growth, should actually be factored into a solo artist’s decision.

“Did you accept any projects unnie?” Jiyeon questioned staring at the large clump of scripts that were piled on Inna’s coffee table.

“I’m looking through them. But none look very interesting.” Inna answered half heartedly, clearly barely skimming a single one.

“Is Jieun filming again?” Jiyeon inquired giving up on the report, and lying back onto the sofa. 

“Yes, should we go bother her at the filming set? I hear it’s in Seoul.” 

For a second Jiyeon was tempted by the offer. It wasn’t like they had anything better to do. 

“Unnie, I think neither of us should probably go right now.” Jiyeon began giggling as she glanced at her reflection on the glass table. 

“You’re probably right.” Inna agreed as the two started laughing. 

Finally forcing herself to be somewhat productive, Jiyeon took a long shower and returned to the living space with the intent to keep looking over the report. 

She was pleasantly surprised to see Inna lying flat on her chest in pain.

“Unnie are you ok?” Jiyeon rushed over to her friend, unsure if the situation was serious. 

Inna stared at the ground in total defeat before finally lifting it up her phone.

“He chose a drama.” She cried in agony.

“Huh?” Jiyeon knelt down to get a better look.

It was an article announcing an upcoming drama, Life. She noticed immediately it starred the handsome Grim Reaper who Jieun and her often teased Inna about liking.

“I wanted to be in one with him… but he chose one already.” Inna whined as she rolled around adorably. 

“Unnie, it’s ok. It’s not even a romcom, I’m sure you can always star in one again. I still need an ending for Sunny and Kim Woobin.” Jiyeon tried to assure her friend, before slowly patting her on the back.

“Ya! Are you teasing me right now? Just cause you have a perfect boyfriend.” 

She giggled and began tickling her unnie, “I know, I do have a perfect boyfriend. Are you jealous?” 

The two started a playful war with each other, tickling and crying, before finally Jiyeon conceded. 

At some point, Inna had found herself laying beside Jiyeon, as the two friends were gasping for breath on the ground.

“What’s it like?”

“Huh?” 

“Dating these days.” Inna wondered wistfully, sounding even older than she really was. 

“You sound like you’re 40.”

“I’m only 4 years away Jiyeon-ah.” She complained. 

“I don’t know. We only really got to date for real in LA. Most of the time we’re just stuck in his apartment or mine.” Jiyeon recounted her relationship.

“Does that make you want to move somewhere? Where you won’t be so bothered?” 

Jiyeon had considered the idea. Go live in America, or even some more remote area of Korea. It certainly sounded nice, but Jiyeon was a city girl. She had grown up her entire life in Seoul, and was used to the noise. 

She was used to being recognized and hiding her face under a scarf. She just didn’t know any different. Even if she was never successful again, her more peculiar eyes and facial structure could always be recognized by someone.

“I’ve thought about it. But he told me to give my career another shot.” Jiyeon commented. “Besides the nation needs Daniel right now, it would be selfish to keep him to myself all tucked away.”

“You’re probably right,” Inna chuckled. “After watching Jieun on Hyori’s show, I want to save up my money and move out there with a strong man.” 

“I think that’d be nice, but I think you would get bored.” 

“Really? Maybe, I’m not really a dog person.” 

There was an extended silence, as the two stared up towards the ceiling. 

“Jiyeon-ie.” 

“Huh?” Jiyeon perked her ears up

“I just solved a problem for you.” Inna spouted out of the blue.

“What problem?” 

“You don’t have to read that report.”

Soompi.com

Explore

Daniel Choi

////////////////

 

BTS Jin comments on friendship    Daniel Choi sends coffee truck

with Basketball idol Daniel Choi      in support of close friend Jung

in recent interview. Feb 4, 2018       Hae-in’s Something in the Rain. 

                                                             Feb 10, 2018

 

Hyori and Lee Sangsoon officially    Netizens weigh in could Basketball Idol

invite Daniel Choi to their show        Daniel Choi pursue acting after his NBA

in recent appearance.                         career. Feb 15, 2018

Feb 13, 2018

 

Jo In-sung and Song Joongki         Korean American blogger trashed on SNS

congratulate Daniel Choi for            for calling Daniel Choi, 'An American' by 

reaching career high 40 points        thousands of Korean fans. Feb 21, 2018 

Feb 19, 2018

… 3.1.2018

AllKpop: Park Jiyeon signs with YG Entertainment as Singer/Actress for the next 2 years

Many were shocked to wake up today as the news of former T-ara’s Park Jiyeon hit Naver. The beautiful idol who recently elected to not resign with MBK Entertainment was rumored to sign with a Chinese agency. 

Instead, YG entertainment’s Black Label officially announced last night that Park Jiyeon would be signing with them. With over 5 million instagram followers and the love of an ended fandom, the decision seems positive for both sides. 

However, many netizens were quick to point out that the Girl Crush style that embodies most YG solo artists would be new to Jiyeon. 

While quite a surprise, most anticipate for an exciting solo comeback of the 'Never Ever' Queen.

… 3.21.2018

SOOMPI: Forbes Power Celebrities has Park Bogum 1

Yesterday Forbes Korea released their 2017 Power Celebrity rankings a much anticipated list for every top celebrity. The prized top 10 spots often a subject of much debate between Netizens over the course of the year, has finally been released. 

  1. Park Bogum - Some say has taken over Daniel’s CF king status with his departure from Korea. Spent the year as the celebrity holding fan meetings all over Korea and the Philippines. 
  2. Daniel Choi - Made his NBA comeback with the New York Knicks and has set the league on fire with his flashy play and handsome looks, taking his team to the playoffs. 
  3. Song Joonki - Descendants of the Sun heartthrob soldier, will always stay in our hearts as Yoo Soojin.
  4. Twice - With Heart Shaker, Likey Likey, Knock Knock, and Signal all finding major success, there’s no reason for them to not be in the top 10. 
  5. EXO - After selling out two concert venues at Seoul Olympic Stadium, with over 100,000 capacity. Their popularity and fandom is no joke. 
  6. BTS - Winning the first Billboard Awards for a Korean group, and there smashing success of their newest album Love Yourself: Her. There’s no doubt that success is in their DNA

Other recipients of the coveted top 10 included Nation’s first love Suzy, Beauty Song Hyeko, shockingly young actress Kim Yoojung, and charming actor Jo Jungseok.  

While I could go on and on about the accomplishments of all of these celebrities. Several fans were upset by the final rankings. Fans of BTS’s Army citing that their group should’ve taken a higher spot with their U.S. success. Fans of Daniel Choi, citing that his popularity internationally, as well as unfounded success in the NBA for a Korean athlete, should’ve placed him first. 

///////////////

Top Comments: 

“Why was BTS not higher? The rankings seem like an insult to the work of us Armys!” 

    >“Forbes has already stated that, these rankings are based on influence, popularity and earnings in Korea, not internationally.” 

“Park Bogum oppa! I love you, don’t worry about the haters. <3”

    >“Am I a hater, if I say that Daniel had way more success this year? He’s giving Korea and Korean Americans hope that they too can be athletes as well.”

        >“He’s not even that popular in Korea anymore after betraying us by leaving to America.” 

… 4.11.2018

ESPN Report: Knicks end season 46-36 the 5th seed in the Eastern Conference behind Daniel Choi’s 26 points and 8 assists. The Knicks will face the Lebron led Cleveland Cavaliers in the first round.

... 4.15.2018

ESPN Report: Daniel Choi and the Knicks defeat Lebron’s Cavaliers 98-80 lead series (1-0). Daniel Choi finishes with over 35 points, and 9 3-pointers, setting the record for most 3-pointers made by a Knick in a playoff game.

… 4.27.2018

ESPN Report: Knicks defeat Cavaliers 121-87 to even series up (3-3) final elimination game will be played.

… 4.29.2018

Daniel was panting as he stared up at the scoreboard. There was 20 seconds left in the game, he could see the other team preparing for their final possession. 

Even through the sweat pouring down his forehead and into his eyes, could make out the broad shoulders of the King. An athlete that seemed other worldly who Daniel had idolized all of his life. The clear numbers 23 on his jersey. 

It still seemed insane that they had fought back to keep the series tied against such overwhelming competition. No one expected the games to be close, but the score was tied at a game 7, 104-104. 

They might’ve even been winning, if it wasn’t for the amazing play of the King. He had 43 points, and couldn’t seemed to be stopped, no matter what Daniel or any of his teammates did. 

For all of his skill and handwork, there were some obstacles Daniel just couldn’t seem to get past. 

Buzz! The sound played to signal the end of the timeout, and Daniel returned with his teammates to the court. He took a low defensive stance, and watched as the towering man dribbled the ball down the court. 

The sight could’ve incited terror in the eyes of anyone. For a rookie Daniel, that would’ve been the case. However, instead of terror, Daniel only felt determination. 

He didn’t want to lose. 

At first Daniel wasn’t placed on him defensively. Even with all of his will, Daniel was too short to guard someone that strong and muscular. 

But, as Lebron James called the play they had decided, Daniel could see the matchup was inevitable. When the other red jersey’d player ran to use his body as a barrier for the current defender, Daniel had no choice but to start guarding the Superstar. 

There was a look of authority and command in the eyes of his opponent. Daniel wondered how he could stay so composed even with the clock winding down. This must’ve been why he was so successful.

Lebron swiped his hands in an outward motion away from him, signifying an isolation play. A 1 on 1. Daniel against him. 

The game was on the line.

12 seconds left.

Lebron dribbled towards the left, but switched hands immediately, bounding the ball in between.

Daniel didn’t let the fancy dribbling take him away from his defensive stance, his eyes keyed in on Number 23’s hips. 

Seeing that Daniel wasn’t an easy opponent, the taller player utilized his strength to charge forward towards him. 

Daniel stepped backwards and prepared for the rush of his opponent. If he could just keep his feet set, he could draw a charge, and they would get the ball back.

The moment he felt the arm of Lebron James dig into his shoulder, he felt the wind completely knock out of his lungs. He couldn’t keep his feet set, and felt his entire body collapsed against the pressure. 

For a second Daniel wondered if he was about to faint, as he fell backwards onto his back.

The experienced player however didn’t stop for him. Instead he easily drifted through him and scored a layup. 

“Foul and one!” The Referee called as an immense roar drew from the audience. 

“What?” His teammate was screaming towards the short white old man. 

“That’s a charge!” 

Daniel however, knew he hadn’t kept his feet set. It was technically a foul, although the elbow that had thrown him out of sorts, should’ve been an offensive foul. 

Daniel didn’t have any energy to complain as he pounded his fist onto the floor in frustration. 

Thankfully, two of his teammates quickly rushed over to help him up, as he limped his way to the free throw line. 

Glancing towards the buzzer he could see that there was still 6 seconds left on the clock. If they could make a three pointer, they could still tie the game. 

But another opportunity presented itself as the free throw was missed, and his teammate quickly retrieved it. Within a second, Daniel had the ball dribbling it down the court towards the other side. 

Two cavaliers rushed to defend him, and Daniel was tempted to take the final shot. But in the corner of his eyes he could see his teammate wide open for a three pointer. 

Daniel faked one way and tossed the ball to his open teammate. Time almost froze as he watched the ball twirl through the air, before finally descending towards the basket. 

Then, he saw it bounce off the rim and up into the air once more. 

The buzzer rang. 

Game over. 

They had lost.

… 

ESPN Report: Daniel Choi and Knicks fall to Lebron after a historic 45-point performance by the King. Daniel Choi’s 10 million dollar contract expires with the Knicks. He is expected to head into free agency.

… 5.1.2018

Ding dang dong

“We are now approaching Incheon International Airport. Present time is 10 o’clock in the evening, with 29 degree weather. We want to thank you for flying with us on Korean Air.” 

Daniel slowly opened his eyes as he felt Mike’s hand on his shoulder. 

“We’re here?” He groaned, shrugging off the sleep from his eyes. 

He wasn’t sure how it was possible, but he swore a quarter of the passengers on this flight had booked with the intentions of riding with him. The first three hours of the 11 hour flight were interrupted by constant signatures and photos. 

Even the stewardesses had requested photos, and he was pretty sure they weren’t supposed to. 

“You better wash up once we get out, the paparazzi are already set up, we have to make sure Korea’s hope looks like a star.” Mike whispered as he handed him a sunglass case. 

“This is sponsored so make sure you put it on.”

Daniel stared at the Burberry case, wondering why he had to wash his face if he was going to be wearing shades. 

He checked his phone, he wanted desperately to see her. But, he knew that he wouldn’t be able to at least for now. She was busy with recording for her upcoming collaboration with Vietnamese artist Soobin. Despite her recent signing with YG, this would be produced under the Vietnamese artist’s agency. 

Finding success again meant that Jiyeon would be busy again, and he had to be happy for her. Even if it was his summer break, he'd have to struggle to find time to meet her in secret. 

That was the thought that had been in his mind for the past few weeks. As the playoffs drew to a close, and he realized how long the season could be without her. He couldn't help himself but start to wonder what things might be like if they revealed their relationship.

He knew it was being selfish... but even the time from Christmas to now was over 100 days. 

When the plane finally set down, the bumping of the wheels, and shaking of the plan fully woke him up. 

“Is the Nation’s husband ready to see his wives?” 

“I’m pretty sure I was divorced after I had an affair with the NBA.” Daniel commented wittingly. 

“Even if no one shows up, you should at least keep your sponsors happy.” Mike teased pointing back towards the sunglasses. 

Korea Daily Herald: Choi Daehan returns a hero after proving his talents in the NBA

Today, NBA star Daniel Choi was greeted by the sight of what seemed to be all of Korea waiting for him at the airport. To the point, even the paparazzi seemed to be drowned out in the crowd. 

Incheon Airport Security were reportedly close to taking crowd control actions, as people refused to clear a path. 

Nevertheless, despite his loss to Lebron James. Daniel Choi set the NBA and the world on fire with his brilliant play, leading his team to the playoffs almost single handedly. With his handsome appearance and brilliant charisma, his jersey was recently reported as the number 2 sold jersey for the year, only behind Stephen Curry. 

The New York Times labeled him as more than just Korea’s hope, but the hope for all Asians looking to go into sports. 

With the season over, Daniel Choi returns to Korea to start preparations to join Korea’s national team for the upcoming 2018 Asia games taking place in Jakarta. 

KBIZoom: Daniel Choi’s Thom Browne clad outfit officially confirms his place beside other Airport fashion superstars BP Jennie and G-Dragon.

… 5.3.2018

“Oppa.” 

Daniel was sitting on the edge of the bed, as he stared through the tall glass panes of his apartment window. 

The glimmering lights of the city below it, catching his eye. The blur of car rear lights zooming through the streets, the beautiful flashes of bill boards projecting the newest makeup products, sometimes even an advertisement with him on it. 

He felt her thin arms wrap around his waist, as she snuggled her face into his . Several strands of her long silky hair tickled his shoulders as she did. 

It was a feeling he hadn’t felt in a long time. 4 months were just so long. Working out constantly, playing tiring games every 2-3 days. He wondered why the NBA had been his dream. 

“Are you thinking about something?” She inquired in a soft voice. 

Daniel nodded his head, “I talked with my agent. I want to win a championship, I think I’m going to sign with a different team.” 

“Really? What team?” Jiyeon wondered, though he knew the extent of her knowledge of the teams ended with the teams he had been a part of. 

“Either the 76ers or the Celtics. But the 76ers can offer me more.” 

“Ah I see. How long would the contract be?” This was the lingering question.

For how long would he play in the NBA? To be honest, he wasn’t sure if he even wanted to play for a long time. Not if meant continued long distance. 

No matter how much they loved each other, trusted each other… a secret, long distance relationship wasn’t healthy for either of them. He had researched about it, talked with his celebrity friends, and consulted his family about it.

“2 years.” Daniel revealed the contract he had discussed with one of the teams. 

“Ah, I see.” He felt her arms weaken their hold of him slightly. The slight disappointment clearly surging through her body.

“I know it won’t be easy. That’s why I wanted to talk to you about—”

“Let’s not hide anymore.” Her sudden words caught him off guard.

“Huh?” 

“Let’s not hide anymore oppa. I feel confident now, I told the agency when I first joined that this was in the picture… and they agreed to it.” 

He was frozen at first, but Daniel couldn’t bite his lip hard enough to keep a smile from forcing itself out.

“I mean it.” She repeated clearly unable to see his growing joy. “What do you think?”

Daniel didn’t respond, wanting to get the satisfaction of seeing her adorable reaction… and he wasn’t let down.

She began shaking his body against hers before finally pushing them both onto the floor. Daniel flat on his back, while she loomed above him, straddling him between her legs. 

“Are you not going to answer?” She questioned in a firm voice that didn’t suit their current situation at all.

“You know you’re really y from this angle.” Daniel teased as his eyes wandered from her pretty face down towards her exposed chest.

“Shut up, are you really not going to answer?” Jiyeon huffed as she wrapped her arms around her shoulders in embarrassment. 

“I like it. Thanks Jiyeon-ah, I was thinking the same thing.” Daniel chuckled as he made a sit up motion, their noses now barely a centimeter apart.

“Are you cosplaying Hyunbin?” Jiyeon giggled referencing the famous sit-up scene from Secret Garden.

“Am I handsome enough to?” Daniel smirked as he planted his lips on hers.

“Nope.” She joked as she grinned back. However, the straight face didn’t last, as Daniel scooped her up into his arms and carried her back to the bed.

“You really want this?” He questioned, as he hovered her over the comforter.

“Yes, let’s reveal it.” She answered with a frown. “Why do I not look confident?”

“No, I just wanted to make sure this wasn’t a dream. And I wasn’t talking about that.” 

Jiyeon’s face grew flush red as she realized what he was referring to. 

“We already did it.” She mumbled. 

“So you don’t?” He repeated the rhetorical question.

At that moment, Daniel gently dropped her onto the softest part of the bed. Her frail body bouncing against the memory foam mattress.

“Come here idiot.” She whispered and she reached and clenched his arm in between her fingers tugging him back into the bed.

And just like that. The two lovers felt each other’s warmth. As Daniel’s looming fear was squashed in a second. 

More than just pretty, talented, and well… beautiful. She always seemed to find new ways to show her love for him. To comfort him and give him direction. 

 

///////

The next chapter will finally start the reveal. Thanks for everyone who's been reading, and like i said previously I might adjust some of the last chapters of No Longer a Coward, if necessary to better fit how I continue. Please let me know your thoughts, as its a big help for me.