IV: Live On

A Bazaar Love

...

Daniel must’ve spent an hour in front of the toilet before he finally came to his senses. He glanced towards the mirror, adjusting the simple white t-shirt and blazer over a fitted pair of navy denim. His eyes still looked a mess, but after combing his mid length hair slightly forward, at least he looked presentable. 

It was just his daughter after all. Why should he have to look his best? Who was he even trying to impress?

When he checked his phone again, he was quite startled to see the location Jenny had sent him.

    Daniel: Lotte World?

    Jenny: Michelle wanted to go

    Daniel: We bought season passes to Disney land already

    Jenny: Just go, I’ll pay for the tickets

    Daniel: fine, tell Michelle I’m not going to buy her 20,000 won dippin dots there tho

    Jenny: Aigoo, my oppa… so stingy

    Jenny: just have a little fun

Daniel grabbed his wallet and left knowing had to take a taxi from Yongsan-dong (near Ittaewon North of Hangang river) to Jamsil-dong (South of Hangang river). It didn't take long to hail one down, but the morning traffic made it a hassle.

After checking his work’s Slack channel, he glanced outside and noticed they were passing by the Jamsil Students’ Gymnasium. He could see banners for the Korean Basketball League’s SK Knights there. 

For some odd reason he felt a flash of deja-vu as he passed by. Like the arena itself was familiar to him, despite never attending a single game or concert there. His mind began to fill with flashes of lights, almost like cameras, and he had to shake his head free of it. Jesus, this was why he should never drink.

Maybe he had just gone to too many NBA arenas to watch games. 

The taxi pulled to a stop outside the giant amusement park, Daniel froze. Why did this also send him a sense of recollection? He swore he had never gone before even with his cousins. So why?

Daniel nervously tapped against the side of his pants, as he glanced around the entrance to the large indoor park, searching for his young daughter.

He was somewhat surprised to see there was quite a crowd of people. There were small children following their parents, large clumps of teenagers all dressed in uniforms. But, he could usually find Michelle in any crowd, call it fatherly intuition, call it the love of a father. Or maybe Michelle was just really loud. Something unexplainable given his and her personalities, it was probably Jenny's fault.

“Jenny?” He held his phone up, feeling slightly impatient. Where were they?

“Oppa. Did you meet her yet?”

Daniel glanced around once again, his eyes searching below adult waist level for his little girl. “What are you talking about, don’t tell me you left Michelle alone? Where the hell are you?"

For a second, Daniel was outraged by the thought. No, his sister wasn’t that irresponsible. 

“Appa you pabo-ya. I’m not the person you’re going on a date with.” His daughter’s familiar voice rang from the speaker.

Suddenly the sound of energetic footsteps gave away a figure moving in his direction. Long slender legs that sprouted from a grey knit dress, the ribbed fabric accentuating her tiny waist, but nice upper body proportions. However as his eyes rose, instead of finding a pretty face, a black celebrity mask hid everything except large almond shaped eyes.

“Annyeong ha seyo.” Jiyeon?

Daniel stood silent, still completely frozen in place. He noticed out of the corner of his eye that Jenny had hung up the phone. Leaving him with zero context and a beautiful woman.

“Your family said that you're also a fan of mine, so as a favor I’ll be your blind date for today.” She introduced herself calmly. 

Boom. Boom.

If it wasn’t for his pounding heart, he probably would’ve laughed at the situation. Was this real?

“Don’t you have… you know… schedules?” He was mumbling in English again.

“I cleared my schedule today. A special request from a certain Choi Michelle.” She lowered her mask slightly to reveal a large white smile, barely fitting in the bounds of her tiny face.

“Ah, I’m sorry. You didn’t have to do this—” Daniel couldn’t even finish his words.

“It’s too late, a promise is a promise. It’s my day off too, so let’s have some fun.” Jiyeon announced ignoring him completely. 

And then she walked off, a hop in her step as she headed towards the entrance.

Even being the center of a girl-crush group, Daniel had to admit she was rather cute. It was just like when he had first met her almost 6 years ago now.

With no other option but to be courteous, Daniel followed behind her. Feeling slightly ashamed he had drank the night before. 

Walking into the largest indoor amusement park in Asia was spectacular to say the least. Walking into the largest indoor amusement park with Park Jiyeon was a different matter. 

Despite maturing quickly to accommodate the necessary maturity to be a father. Daniel felt like time had rewinded and he was just a lovestruck boy following after his longtime crush. 

“That’s the merry-go-round from Stairway to Heaven.” Daniel gasped as he noticed the brightly lit attraction.

“Want me to take a picture?” She offered. 

Daniel chuckled as he shook his head, then completely forgetting their differences in social standings. He beckoned for her to stand in the frame, “I think it’ll look better with you in it, instead of me.” 

For just a second Jiyeon looked slightly flustered… but like a model, she posed cutely next to the merry-go-round. Daniel’s fingers were shaking as they pressed on the capture button.

“How does it look?” She skipped back towards him to look.

“Pretty.” 

“Ah, let me see.” Jiyeon’s hands reached for the phone, brushing against his. 

He stared at her, noticing how close she had gotten to him, their eyes barely 6 inches from each other. He must’ve been bright red, because she quickly let go and Daniel’s already unclasped fingers dropped the phone onto the ground.

“Oh my god, I’m so sorry.” She blurted out quickly kneeling onto the ground to pick it up.

“It’s fine, I was going to buy a new one soon anyways.” Daniel chuckled trying to assure her. 

He realized his mistake only a couple of seconds later. 

“This is… the same phone?” Jiyeon questioned her eyes darting back to him.

Michelle and Jenny always for why he never replaced his personal phone. Sure his work phone was the newest model, but Daniel couldn’t seem to give up on this phone. If he replaced his phone, he might lose all of the messages he kept saved with her.

“Uh, yeah. Michelle says I’m stingy.” He quickly thought of an excuse.

“Ah, well you changed your wallpaper.” She pointed out holding up his phone. The dimly lit screen illuminating a new wallpaper that was an adorable selfie taken by Michelle.

He instantly remembered the time he had awkwardly brought up the wallpaper of his ex. That… wow, that was some time ago. After everything, Hannah was almost the last thing on his mind. 

“Anyways. Want to go on some rides?” 

“Sure.”

There “date” continued, and the initial awkwardness seemed to fade. Daniel didn’t even hesitate as she picked out matching animal headbands for them to wear as a couple item. 

“How about this one?” Jiyeon held the cute bunny ears up.

“Sure.” He placed it over himself and attempted to read her reaction.

It didn’t work, with the mask that covered her lower face. But she gave a big thumbs up, and Daniel glanced at his reflection in the tiny mirror. 

“Cute.” She murmured as she placed the same pair over her hair. 

“Should we get something to eat?”

Daniel didn’t hear this, probably because he was too busy fawning over how cute she looked.  Complete amazement at the charming girl he was finding himself helplessly falling for again. If the 3 hours in Vegas had hooked him, the entire day must be deadly for his feelings. 

In the spare time they spent waiting in lines for rides, they began talking. Catching each other up on their lives, talking about her most recent drama… they could’ve kept talking for hours.

“Look!” She was pointing towards a game stand after exiting an indoor rollercoaster. 

It was a small booth with a miniature rim and tiny balls underneath. The standard arcade basketball shooting game. The game attendant caught Jiyeon’s point and immediately beckoned them over. 

Why did it feel so familiar? Like he had played it before. Was it from past dates at amusement parks? Daniel couldn’t remember either of his exes being obsessed over trivial prizes. 

“Isn’t that penguin so cute?” Jiyeon commented as she slyly locked her arms around his and tugged him in the booth’s direction, “let’s win it for Michelle.”

Daniel still played basketball sometimes, he had won his company’s intramural almost single handedly. But he knew these games well, they were rigged against the player. The rim was purposely uneven and made of a bouncy material to ensure the average player couldn’t dream of winning a prize. 

But at the mention of Michelle, and the look of determination in Jiyeon’s eyes, Daniel slowly reached into his wallet. 

“What a beautiful couple. It’s only 5,000 won for 2 minutes to win. If you get 10 in you’ll win a small prize,” the game attendant announced pointing towards the tiny plush animals.

 “20 in you’ll win a big prize,” he pointed towards the jerseys and larger animals. 

“If you beat the high score of 30 you’ll win that speaker up there.”

“I’ll go first. You told me you weren’t that good anymore.” Jiyeon announced, an intense look in her eyes.

He wasn’t really expecting much, but Jiyeon was better than he expected. She had clearly played this before because her fingers naturally flicked the ball into the air and into the hoop. 

“18! Congrats to the lady on setting today’s daily high score!” 

“Are you sure you weren’t a professional athlete in your last life?” He teased. 

“Practice makes perfect.” Jiyeon boasted as she turned towards him. Her confident eyes issuing a challenge to him, as if to say ‘Your turn’. 

“Unfortunately you’re just 2 short of that penguin, but you’re welcome to try again.” The attendant’s interruption was almost taunting, clearly trying to lure them to waste more money.

But, Jiyeon remained calm and poked her finger into his arm. “You try.”

This time she paid, and Daniel felt an immense amount of pressure to succeed. 

He shot the first ball, and immediately felt how flat it was. The balls were all purposely deflated slightly to keep the score down. It was amazing that Jiyeon could adjust to still makes so many.

“Oh too bad, only 7." 

He couldn’t even see her face, but her eyes shot a look of disappointment.

“One last time.” Daniel had to reclaim his pride now, as he handed another 5,000 won bill to the attendant. 

It turned out that, one last time meant two more times. 

But his next turn he finally found a rhythm, as he felt some of his focus start to return. 

The first few shots went straight into the hoop, without even touching the glass backboard. 

“Nice!” Jiyeon’s voice could be heard cheering behind him.

Why did it feel familiar? Had she watched him play basketball before? Impossible. 

Daniel felt his entire focus disappear from the surrounding world, and key in on the tiny orange rim. 

“5!”

Another one.

Another one.

“10!” 

Daniel watched as the fake smile of the employee slowly turned to horror, as he made all of his next consecutive shots. 

“20.”

“25”

He could see the scoreboard clearly, and saw he had roughly 10 seconds left.

“28”

“29”

If he scored one more he could win the expensive speaker. But, in that split second he thought of what he really wanted. A smile. He wanted to see her smile.

Instead of shooting the last shot, Daniel held the ball and tossed it playfully to the game attendant.

“29!” The timer counted to zero, and he could see an enormous amount of relief on the attendant’s face realizing he wouldn’t have to give away a 150,000 won prize. 

Caught in the moment they both began celebrating in delight as Jiyeon jumped up and down in joy. 

Hesitantly, the attendant lowered the large penguin plush toy and handed it to Jiyeon. They walked away in triumphant victory, Daniel more happy to see the humiliation on the game keeper’s face. 

“Michelle will love this, I know she will.” 

“Actually…” Daniel stammered slightly as he tried to phrase his words. “I can always win something for Michelle. But I’d like if you could keep it.”

He knew it was such a trivial prize, and nothing that an idol should care for. But he could see the gratitude show in her masked expression.

“Then, thank you for the gift.” She lowered her mask slightly to reveal a grin.

She looked like an angel. Her almond eyes, small nose, and v-shaped jaw. 

“Ya, what if someone see’s you.” Daniel warned her, not realizing his voice was exactly the same way as when he scolded Michelle. 

“Yes appa.” She said it jokingly, but Daniel froze as he heard the words. 

“I mean…”

“Right.”

 

“Thank you for today.” He whispered as he sat in her passenger seat.

Jiyeon had pulled up to the building they were staying at, and both were now sitting silently in her BMW. Neither making a move to leave from the vehicle. 

To be honest she was desperate to find a way to continue their conversation. They had just spent one of the best days of her life together. Having fun at the amusement park, talking over dinner at a nice restaurant in Gangnam, then getting coffee at a nearby cafe. 

A date that she had been on before. But it was just different when they weren’t both celebrities. The way he subtly shielded her at moments with his height from the view of others. It was almost like he had dated a celebrity before… he was certainly handsome enough too.

“I should get going, otherwise Michelle might stay up to say hi.” Daniel finally broke the silence. 

Jiyeon searched for some excuse to go with him, “I’ll walk you to the door, I’d like to say hello to Jenny.” 

He didn’t say anything, but quickly nodded in agreement, his hands finally stumbling onto the door handle. 

She followed him into the decent apartment building, about 10 stories, the type of building that housed most of Korea’s middle class.

They took the elevator to the 5th floor, and both got off into the small hallway with doors lined for each apartment.

But the moment they did, he reached out and pulled her into his chest, as the door to another apartment opened revealing a middle aged lady leaving to take the trash out. 

Jiyeon realized that it was because she had forgotten to take her mask with her. Yet, at the same time she had trouble removing her face from its comfortable resting position.

Was he really an office worker? We’re most office workers in America this fit?

“Um she’s gone.” 

“I know.” Jiyeon didn’t want to. She just didn’t want to. 

After waiting so long… after everything today. She was marking what was hers.

“Jiyeon-ssi.” He mumbled, clearly taken aback. It was his first time addressing her so formally. Was he trying to create a wall between them?

“Jiyeon, I know you mean well. I’m thankful for everything you’ve done for Michelle and I this week. But if you keep doing this I’m going to mistake your kindness for something else.” He gently pushed her away from him, as Jiyeon was forced to back up to steady herself. 

Kindness? Did he think she was doing this out of kindness? 

“Michelle and I are doing just fine. So when you do these things, it feels more like you’re pitying us.” Daniel’s words were harsh, even with his gentle tone.

Pity? 

Pity? 

What kind of girl went on a date out of pity? Much less a top idol? Did he think she had nothing better to do?

He turned around to leave,

One step. Two steps. Three steps.

Jiyeon didn’t care about his statement. Deciding to ignore him, she rushed forward and threw her arms around his waist. Her frustration dripping down from her cheeks into his blazer. 

“Why can’t you accept it? Why do I have to pity you? Why can’t I like you?”

She could feel his entire body tense up as soon as she confessed. 

“Jiyeon… you like me?”

Jiyeon gently nodded her head against his back. “I like you Daniel. I want to go out with you. I want you to stay.”

“I’m not good for you. If people find out, it won’t be good for your career.” He whispered coldly. 

“I don’t care.” She didn’t care about his excuses. She knew that he was the one. Today had confirmed it. She had searched and only he could make her heart flutter the way he did.

“I’m sorry, I can’t let you do that. Please understand.”

She slowly released him, and he continued to walk away.

“Daniel, then tell me do you like me?” She questioned, trying her best to redeem her thrown away pride. 

“Yes. I like you Jiyeon, I liked you since the first time we met. But right now, Michelle is the only person I can take responsibility for. I can’t promise I’ll be good to you, so it’s better you find someone else.” 

“You don’t think I’ve tried?” Jiyeon raised her voice, tears flowing endlessly, as she pleaded with him. “It’s only you. I only like you.”

She could see his will trembling, as he turned to face her. 

Then without hesitation he returned to her and wrapped her in his embrace. Finally allowing her to feel what it was like to be between his strong arms. It was warm.

He rested his head against her shoulder, as she could hear the muffled sniffles that came from him. 

She knew he had gone through so much. It made her heart ache just thinking about how much pain and betrayal he had experienced. “You don’t have to be strong in front of me. I want to be someone you can rely on. I want to be someone Michelle can rely on.” 

Jiyeon wasn’t sure where the words were coming from. But she had thought about this all of last night. After babysitting his daughter, after learning about today’s blind date that Michelle and Jenny had planned. 

What kind of person could melt through his walls?

What kind of person did she want to become now that she had experienced all that success could offer?

“You’re not alone anymore. I won’t let you be alone.” She whispered as she her hand down his long torso. 

Finally, she heard the first sob echo out of him. It slowly eased into him crying as he buried his head deeper into her shoulder. 

“It’s ok. It’s ok.” 

It must’ve been such a sight if someone were too randomly pop out of the elevator. T-ara’s center comforting a tall handsome man, who was weeping into her. 

Thankfully, as if that same deity was once again watching over them. No one came. Not even the lady that went to take out her trash returned while they were there. 

(God rest her soul, I hope she’s ok)

No more words were said, as Daniel and Jiyeon separated. Jiyeon didn’t follow him to his apartment door to say hello to Jenny, and Daniel didn’t say no anymore to her.

As she took the elevator down the building, she wondered what would transpire in his house. She wondered if his lack of response meant that it was a yes. 

That’s when she received a call.

“You have to get to the agency now!” 

 

[12 am] Koreaboo: Dispatch paparazzi uploads post titled ‘Park Jiyeon on date with her “hidden daughter”’

[Photos of Jiyeon and Michelle walking together an ice cream in their hands]

MBK Entertainment has yet to issue a statement.

 

[6 am] Soompi: Netizens enraged over Dispatch’s misleading headlines, MBK threatens legal action against photographer

[Photo of Jiyeon and Michelle walking together, but Michelle’s face is now blurred]

This morning, you might’ve logged onto Naver find Park Jiyeon’s name topping realtime search rankings, this of course followed by the words 'daughter' or 'husband'. This was the result of an article which was published by a Dispatch photographer showing the masked beauty happily strolling down Gangnam with a small girl, hand in hand. The article was titled ‘Park Jiyeon on date with her “hidden daughter”’, as you might expect the article received over 200,000 hits within a matter of an hour. 

However, by the end of that hour, MBK issued the following statement in response,

“The girl photographed next to Jiyeon is not her daughter, but the daughter of a close friend of Kim Dani who is visiting from America. After verification from the idols themselves, the pictures do not reveal Kim Dani who was also present on the outing. We have decided to take legal action against the post, infringing on the privacy of a non-celebrity minor, as well as damaging Park Jiyeon’s name.” 

The response was quickly posted to forum boards where netizens were enraged by the misleading title of the post. The original post received over 285 thousand dislikes and was immediately taken down. Many were quick to point out that as the girl was not a celebrity or asked for consent in the photos, it could be emotionally scarring to be called someone else’s daughter. 

Since then, Dispatch removed the photos from any of their affiliated websites and released their own statement.

“The photographs revealed were not posted with the consent of our organization. We have dismissed the photographer involved in the post, and sincerely apologize to the family affected as well as to damages to T-ara’s Park Jiyeon and MBK Entertainment.”

While some argued that the photos were not grounds for legal action. Many fans were quick to point out the kindness and warm heartedness that T-ara shows towards even their young fans. 

Your thoughts?

//////////////

Top Comments:

“OOF netizens are scary af, they really even scared the pants off Dispatch.”

"I can't believe that Dispatch purposely cut out Dani, just to make a headline. Even if you search social media, you can find posts with the three of them together."

“Jiyeon’s so pretty, I can totally imagine her being a perfect mother. Whoever get’s this girl is probably the luckiest man in the world.”

“I kinda feel like half of the downvotes are just jealous fanboys who don’t want their idol’s image to change. But I also can’t imagine being 5 years old and being misjudged as the daughter of someone you aren’t even related to.” 

 

Jiyeon could barely keep her eyes open as she hovered her thumb over the send button. She hadn’t slept for almost 24 hours now, napping in between meetings with the PR team and the CEO.

After much dispute, the CEO had decided that the best action they could take the maintain her image was an offensive one. Against her better wishes she watched as they manipulated the internet against the paparazzi. Drawing her fans and pity towards a little girl to refute the statements. 

Jiyeon was horrified at first when she saw the statement they were preparing to release the statements. But she ultimately had no power, after climbing to the top, she had given up control of releases because of the consequences they could have on the entertainment agency.

Now, she was dealing with the after affects. In one night, Daniel’s innocent daughter had spread across the internet, becoming the symbol of public pity. Without any consent of course from either Daniel or Michelle. MBK didn’t care about anyone, all they care about was her image. 

    Jiyeon: I’m so sorry

    Jiyeon: I had no idea something like this would happen

    Jiyeon: I also am sorry about the statement that was released

She had initially hesitated to send anything… especially after what had transpired between the two of them the night before. This was what he had been afraid of, exposing Michelle to the possibility of public scrutiny. This time had been ok, but what about the next?

Jiyeon realized at that moment, just how much pain she could inflict upon the two of them. If word ever got out about him being a single father, she didn’t even want to imagine how people might react, even her own fans. 

She watched in total helplessness as Jiyeon watched the three bubble appear on her screen. He was about to text.

    Daehan: It gave us both quite a shock

    Daehan: but it’s not problem, Michelle thought her picture turned out pretty well

She knew he was being cool about it. However, inside he must’ve started building even more barriers.

    Daehan: Michelle wanted to talk to you for a second, 

    Daehan: But I’m sure you must be tired

    Jiyeon: it’s fine, just give me one second

Jiyeon shot up from the sofa in the lounging room, and dashed into the nearest bathroom. She quickly applied some bb cream and fixed her eyeshadow before video calling them. 

When they picked up, she was greeted by a surprisingly warm sight. It was Michelle, holding the phone, clearly sitting on her father’s lap.

“Hi Jiyeon unnie!” The adorable voice came out of her speaker.

“Hi Michelle. I’m so sorry about what happened.” Jiyeon didn’t even wait to apologize.

“It’s ok unnie, I just wanted to say that I’m a strong girl. So don’t worry about us.” 

Seeing the kind smile on Michelle’s face brought Jiyeon close to tears. 

“We’re used to people talking about us. So don’t beat yourself up about it.” It was his voice this time. His handsome face peaking over Michelle’s shoulder to look into the camera. 

Now that was a refreshing sight. She could’ve stared for hours, rejuvenating her energy as she did.

“Ya appa, it’s because your phone is so old, I look so weird.” His daughter scolded him condescendingly, as Jiyeon couldn’t help but grin. 

“Yes, for all the trouble, please allow me to buy you a new phone.” Jiyeon chuckled finally brightening up.

“YES! And let’s go shopping together.” Michelle sprouted out immediately.

“Michelle, let’s leave Jiyeon alone to rest for now. I’m sure she must be tired.” Daniel’s voice reasoned as he attempted to pull the two out of camera range to scold her. 

“Sorry unnie, I guess some other time.” The cute girl’s head popped back into frame to apologize.

“It’s fine, I’ll talk to the two of you later then. Also… thanks again.” 

“I love you unnie! T-ara fighting!” 

Jiyeon didn’t even know how her body contained the water to house all of the tears she had shed in the past few days. But she felt herself watering up, after seeing the assuring smiles on Michelle and Daniel’s faces.

 

“We’ll get the latest model.” Jiyeon requested as she pointed towards the line of Samsung phones. 

“It’s unnie right there.” Michelle exclaimed excitedly, tugging at her arm towards a large paper cutout of Jiyeon posing with a Samsung phone, flashing her signature smirk.

“That’s right, this is actually all just one big CF right now.” Jiyeon joked as she glanced towards a giggling Jenny. 

While the joke seemed to fly right over the 6 year old’s head, the excited Michelle had already gained the attention of all of the store employees. 

“Oh my gosh, you’re so cute.”

“What’s your name?”

“Do you want something to drink?”

The female employees all gathered around the 6 year old girl, as Jiyeon and Jenny scanned through rows of smart phones. 

“How about this one?” Jenny inquired pointing towards the new Galaxy Note. 

“It’s kind of expensive.” Daniel mumbled clearly trying to mask his voice from her.

“Ya! I told you I owe you something, besides I’m sponsored, I more money if Samsung sells more phones.” Jiyeon reasoned.

“Actually, I’m pretty sure you’re given a stock option, which is a little different. You’re actually a part share holder in that sense, so it’s not necessarily…” Daniel’s explanation trailed off as he noticed that Jenny was glaring at him.

“She’s trying to be nice oppa, just take a compliment know it all.” Jenny scowled poking her hand into his side, “now you see what I have to deal with all the time.”

“Just let me buy it, our last album sold 800,000 units.” She decided to brag.

“Ah you’re boasting now. I heard BTS sold over a million.” Daniel teased. 

“Ah, so should I ask my close hoobae Jimin if he can buy you this phone then?” Jiyeon smirked as she held up her phone. 

With popularity came advertiser meetings, it wouldn’t be the first time she had requested a favor from her hoobae’s or helped them out before.

“Touche.” He sighed in defeat. “I’ll take whichever then.”

“Appa, you pabo-ya we came here so that you can pick out one you like.” Michelle groaned as she returned to his side.

“Alright, alright, I’ll take that one, that one looks nice. It’s got the curved screen on the side.” 

“When are you going to ever use that?” Michelle voiced out bluntly, leaving the other 3 in shock.

“You just told me to pick?” 

“Then pick a pretty one, like the one unnie is holding.”

Seeing the playful bickering between Daniel and Michelle brought a smile to her face. It really was worth coming. Jiyeon was thankful that because Jenny and Daniel were together with Michelle, there was no need to worry about scandals.

She could see the cross the board understanding between all of the employees as Michelle entered with Jiyeon and Jenny, not to speak a word.

Things worked out almost too perfectly. That she had almost forgotten the issue in the first place. What was posted wasn’t the truth.

The girl in front of her was the daughter of the person that Jiyeon liked. If they ever got married, she really would become her step daughter.

But, they hadn’t talked about it since. In the past 3 days, Jiyeon hadn’t said a word with Daniel about that night. He knew her feelings, and she knew his. But this whole situation had planted a post right in the center of it all.

Even Michelle seemed to be cautious about connecting the two of them together now.

 

    Jenny: We’re leaving today

    Jenny: Our flight is at 11, I’m not really sure what happened between the two of you

    Jenny: But I thought you should know, thanks for everything Jiyeon

    Jenny: He won’t say it, but this has been the first time I’ve seen him smiling so much

Jiyeon was in a meeting with some advertisers as she received the texts. 

“Jooyoung unnie.” She whispered into her manager’s ear. 

“Mhm?”

“Tell the CEO, that I’m about to make a big mistake.” 

“What?”

Jiyeon didn’t even let her react, as she lept up from her seat and dashed out of the meeting room. 

She wasn’t going to regret. Even if it ruined her career. Even if it exposed Michelle and Daniel to some criticism.

Jiyeon was going to be selfish for all of them. She was staring at her wheel as she sped out of her agency’s building. She didn’t even start her GPS, as she knew exactly where Incheon airport was. 

She had to confess her feelings one last time. Tell him that she wanted to be with him. 

Her car pulled up to an intersection as she finally dialed Jenny. Thankfully she picked up immediately, it was already 9:30, she was running out of time.

“Jenny!” 

“Jiyeon?”

“Please don’t enter, I have to say something first.”

“Alright, I’ll try and stall. We’re just in the main terminal right now.”

“Thank you, I’ll be there soon.” Jiyeon sighed in relief as she leaned her head back against the headrest. 

The light slowly switched from red to green. She stepped on the gas, the entrance to the highway leading to Incheon only one intersection away.

Korea was not a gun country. The law outlawing the use of firearms, might’ve taken away some of the rights of the people, but it gave a sense of security and safety for many. Different from the United States, its fatality rates mostly sprouted from depression led suicide and car accidents… thus leading to the stereotype of most Kdrama’s that the main lead must always get into one.

HONK! HONK!

Jiyeon heard the sound of the honking truck, but it was already too late to react. She glanced to the side to see the front of a 8 wheeler speeding directly towards her.

The following moments seemed to take place in slow motion as she watched the braking truck attempt to lessen its speed to no avail. She could glimpse the horrified face of the driver as he realized that neither car was going to be able to avoid each other.

She wondered if this was some sort of balancing act between what had happened that day and now. The day that her fate had changed, the day that everything had gone right for T-ara and Daniel’s life had taken a turn for the worst. Karma. 

Life seemed to have all sorts of ups and downs. But Jiyeon’s had been upwards for too long now, even she could admit as much. 

If she was being honest, it felt undeserved. Like she had avoided her destiny and thus spiraled down a road that she didn’t even earn.

She watched as the car door was smashed by the colliding truck, sending her car spinning out of control. The windshield shattered immediately upon collision, shards of glass flying every which way.

But despite it all, there was not an ounce of hatred or resent in Jiyeon’s eyes.

There must’ve been close to a gallon of blood pouring down a head wound that had been caused by the spreading shrapnel. 

Her car might’ve flipped over once or twice as well, but she had already lost consciousness by then. 

There was a subtle smile on her face as onlookers rushed to her car, to check for her.

There was a loud scream as people started to identify the face of the beautiful idol.

When someone had told her success meant giving up the people you love, she didn’t realize it had meant quite literally. 

Nevertheless, for those who could live alone, thriving in the love of comments and fan’s screams. This career was meant for them. 

Jiyeon was not one of those people. She desired love, she desired the feeling of warmth. That was why she could accept it. The punishment for foolishly desiring both.

It’s fine.

I can rest peacefully knowing I found the person I loved.

I found my destiny. I was just a little too late.

Thank you Daniel for these memories. I’ll never forget them.

 

 

“That’s it?” 

“Really?”

“That’s all?”

Jiyeon was boiling a packet of ramen as she heard his repeated exclamations.

The soupy broth was starting to finally cook the dried noodles, and being a ‘chewy noodle’ person, she wasn’t going to miss the exact timing.

“And… Now!” Jiyeon announced as she scooped the noodles out of the pot and into her bowl. 

“Ya! What are you talking about?” 

“Oppa, I told you I was going to cook ramen.” Jiyeon defended herself calmly.

“At a moment like this? You just died!” Daniel’s horrified voice cried over the speaker.

“For someone who just played a game, you sure have a lot of energy. Maybe it’s all those e-lec-tri-ci-ties you get from drinking gatorade..”

“Electrolytes. E-Lec-Tro-Lytes” Daniel enunciated again, annoyance in his voice, “I’m in the CF and you can’t remember?"

“I told you it was just a dream.” Jiyeon echoed again, as she carried her bowl and phone over to the dining table. Still trying to figure out why he had become so immersed in another strange dream she had.

“Don’t you get it Jiyeon-ah?” 

“What? It was my dream.” She protested. 

“If you believe in parallel world’s theory. You might’ve just had a vision into an entire different universe.” 

“You watched the Avengers last night didn’t you?” Jiyeon accused.

“I did… but that’s not related. Think of it like this, every time we make a choice, another alternate earth is created with a different choice. So there might be billions upon billions of parallel universes. And you’ve just had a vision of one.” Daniel’s voice was so serious as he explained it, to the point he started switching out Korean words with English words. 

It was quite amusing seeing the lighted spark in his eyes.

“I thought you were catholic.” 

“Jiyeon, that’s not the point!” He could be seen flapping his arms in frustration as Jiyeon struggled to hold in her giggling. 

“So that’s really it? I have a daughter, we meet in Korea and then you die before we get together?” Daniel questioned.

“That’s when I woke up. Should I have made up something?”

“Of course, if the story ends like that, I’ll really think about the possibility all night.” He revealed. 

That wouldn’t be good. She hadn’t intended on making him this riled up when she explained her dream. She hadn’t even really made any sense of it either. Except that it seemed to sprout from her deep wonder about her life without the scandal. 

Of course, this dream seemed to confirm why she never prayed that she went back into time. As cute as having a daughter named… Jiyeon couldn’t even remember the girl’s name in the dream anymore. 

As cute as that would be. Jiyeon wouldn’t have reunited with Daniel then.

“Besides, does that even make any sense? Why would I not pursue you?” Daniel questioned.

Jiyeon shook her head, no this was made quite clear to her in the dream. “You don’t know oppa because you don’t actually have a daughter.” 

“And you do?” 

She rolled her eyes, “think about it. You have a daughter who you sacrifice everything for. Would you so easily set aside her wellbeing and chase after a crush?” 

“I didn’t just have a crush on you Jiyeon. I loved you.” 

“But that was after we started dating in Korea. You never dated me in the dream.” What made total sense to her seemed to only confuse her boyfriend. 

“Ok, let’s say that made sense. Why would I go to the airport when you had already confessed. Would I really leave without at least trying to talk to you? Are you sure you didn’t make the last part up?” 

“Why would I make up a sad ending?” Jiyeon questioned, feeling slightly taken aback by his accusation.

“Alright alright. I’ll calm down.” 

She could see him finally sit back against his sofa. Taking a more relaxed position as he gazed into the camera. 

“I watched your game oppa.”

“Oh really?” His eyes shot back up to her. “Did you see the last shot?” 

He had an arrogant smirk appear on his lips, excited to boast about his feat. She wondered sometimes if the Daniel she had seen in the dream was really the same Daniel. 

I mean, not that he wasn’t attractive now. It was just different, it made her remember the type of person he was before he became the Nation’s Husband. 

He was one of the strongest people she knew both mentally and physically… which is why every time she thought about it. It just seemed strange. 

“Yes, it was very cool.” She answered praising his performance. 

“That was Stephen Curry, can you believe it? I thought we were done when he made that shot.” 

Jiyeon giggled as she nodded her head. “Yes, I thought I might have a heart attack when that shot went in.” 

“But your oppa is pretty cool isn’t he?” Daniel referred to himself in the third person clearly trying to draw more compliments. 

“Yes, my oppa is cool.” She barely squeaked out trying to keep her own pride as well. 

“By the way, how do you keep calm in those moments? You always look so serious even after someone scores on you.” It was a question she had formed after thinking about his inhuman demeanor. 

He scooted towards the camera, to the point Jiyeon felt like she could almost reach into it and caress his handsome face. 

“I just don’t get nervous. I already faced my biggest fears and overcame it by your side, so whether the shot goes in or not… I know you’ll still love me. So why should I care?” 

She found herself blushing no matter how hard she tried to hide it. “Are you sure you’re not just a psychopath?”

“Maybe. I chased you all the way to another country. I guess I match some of the criteria.” He pondered jokingly.

They both laughed as their conversation slowly began to draw to a close. He must’ve been exhausted and Jiyeon had to meet another agency. 

“By the way, say you’re right…” She wondered how to phrase her thoughts. Feeling slightly embarrassed by saying it aloud.

“Right about what?” 

“Say you’re right and there’s actually another parallel world. And I saw into it, what do you think happened to the Jiyeon in that world?” 

She could see him clearly considering the idea, his eyes moving away from the phone and towards the ceiling. 

“Who knows. But I happen to think, that in every universe. Some way or another… I’ll find a way to be with you Jiyeon.” 

 

 

 

Heaven. She was there now. She was sure of it. She had died. 

Her eyes slowly opened. Expecting a bright light and perhaps a few tiny angels with halos above them. 

Heaven sure looked like a hospital. 

Wait why did this feel familiar? Like she had been in a hospital like this before. 

There was a continued beeping.

Heaven sure sounded like an IV machine.

Jesus why did even her thoughts bring a sense of deja-vu?

Her curiosity getting the better of her, forced her to glance around.

No, it was a hospital. The source of the sound being an EKG monitor behind her, she followed the translucent tubes and saw an IV attached to her wrist.

She felt a warmth around her hand. 

Jiyeon struggled to sit up. She looked to where her hand was. There was nothing. 

No, that was her predetermined mind, there was definitely a hand there.

She wasn’t alone this time. 

She had so many question.

Why was she alive? What had happened? How had she lived?

All she could remember was the loud honking sound. The image of the quickly approaching truck. Thoughts of death.

Before she even had time to check the owner of the large hand, the door slid open. Her manager Jooyoung entered a smile on her face as she rushed over.

Behind her was her parents and older brother. Jiyeon smiled seeing her family entering.

They were all here.

Tears were staining her mother’s face, as large dark circles surrounded both her parents eyes. 

But instead of immediately rushing towards her, they all were smiling towards the figure still clutching her hand in his. 

This feeling… it felt familiar. Finally mustering up her courage she glanced up towards the owner of the sturdy fingers. 

God, he was handsome. Daniel Choi. The person she had been so set on seeing that she had gotten into the accident in the first place. 

But instead of a welcoming smile, she could see pain in his eyes. He had been, and even was now crying. 

Wait. Why was he here? Wasn’t he supposed to be in LA?

“Jiyeon thank god you’re awake.”

“Welcome to the world of the living sis.” Hyojoon teased from beside her parents. 

The three of them stood in place, waiting patiently for their turn to talk with her.

“Jiyeon can you move ok?” Her father questioned cautiously.

Jiyeon wiggled her body. Everything was sore, her ribs hurt like crazy. But she could move fine. 

“The doctor said you’d have trouble walking for a while, but with some rehabilitation you should be completely fine.” Her manager explained.

But for some reason the severity of her injuries was the last thing on her mind.

“Daniel… why are you here?” She questioned. 

“I’m so sorry Jiyeon. I should’ve gone to you, I never should’ve made you come to me. It’s my fault.” He finally released his emotions, weeping in front of her. 

“Anni, it’s not your fault. I should’ve been more cautious. Don’t blame yourself.” Jiyeon attempted to sit up to comfort him, but couldn’t. 

“That’s right its that drunk driver whose at fault. He could’ve killed you.” Her mother revealed.

"Is he ok?"

"Should you be worrying about him right now sis?" Hyojoon retorted. "He should be in jail."

“Let’s give them some privacy.” Her father suddenly announced, trying to calm her other family members.

Why weren’t they questioning him? Did they know him?

“Why are you here?” She repeated the question that had been on her mind.

“When I saw the news… I couldn’t leave.” Daniel whispered, as he slowly calmed himself. 

“What about Michelle and Jenny?” 

“They went home, I told them I’d come back when I saw you wake up.” 

When she woke up? How long had she been out?

As if reading her mind, Daniel answered her question. “You’ve been in a coma for the past week.” 

That meant… had he been here this whole time? What about his life?

“Don’t worry, everything will be ok, just focus on recovering.” He assured her, squeezing her wrist with his hand. “Anything I can get you?”

He gently released her, and searched around the room aimlessly for something.

“Thank you.”

“Huh?” 

“Thank you for staying.” Jiyeon confessed again.

He turned around and gazed directly towards her. “I can’t lose you again. I realized it at that moment. How selfish I really was.” 

“I’ll be good to you. So don’t run away from me. I’ll be good to both you and Michelle.”

She was grinning as he slowly approached her. His loving eyes inching closer and closer.

"Jiyeon I..." Then, it happened, like a flash of lighting. It felt electric. 

Their first kiss.

It wasn’t a quick smooch like most first kisses. No, it was long and endearing. Like two separated lovers who hadn’t seen each other in ages. Both with plenty of experience in the subject now.

But, it was different. It couldn’t even be compared to any others. The taste of his mouth against her tongue. It was surreal. 

“I love you.” He moaned in their moment of separation. “I really love you.”

“Kiss me again.” She demanded.

Their lips met again, and Jiyeon didn’t care at all the fact that her family and her manager likely knew exactly what was going on inside. 

“You look tired, you should get some rest.” She mumbled as they finally separated, bringing an end to their make out session.

Daniel chuckled as he heard the words, “I should be saying that about you.”

“Where are you staying?” 

His fatigue seemed to finally dawn on him, “I’m staying at a hotel nearby, should I take a short nap then and come back?” 

“Let me talk with my family, and then come right back.” Jiyeon requested with a smile.

“Alright, don’t over stress yourself then.” 

It was almost a minute after they attempted to say their goodbyes that he finally slid the ward door open and left. 

Her family entered not long after. 

“He’s a good boy isn’t he?” Her mother instantly remarked.

“You met him?” Jiyeon felt slightly embarrassed to think of the conversation that might’ve gone on between her awkward family and the man she loved. 

“He’s certainly tall.” Hyojoon commented blatantly. 

“But do you know about…” She found herself wondering if the topic of Michelle had been brought up. 

“We respect your decision whatever you decide.” Her father eased her worries immediately. “I can get used to being called grandfather if I try.”

“He showed us a picture, she’s such an adorable little girl, it’s no wonder you like them.” Her mother revealed.

“I want them to be my family. I know it’ll affect my career. But I don’t care. I just want to be happy with him.” She confessed bluntly. 

“We figured as much, you don’t know how much we’ve always worried when you never introduced your past boyfriends. We just want you to be happy.” 

And she knew she would be... if it was with him that was. 

///////////

This marks the end of that "Dream" arc. I hope you all enjoyed it, and maybe if I ever experience total writers block on other things, I might return to it. Anyways, I know a lot of stuff happened, and I don't usually post chapters this long. But I just couldn't leave it at such a cruel cliff hanger. There was a lot of references in this chapter to old chapters, maybe you noticed them.