case of judas' revenge 2/2

The Bracelet Club
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N was talking to sora the other day and was wondering why Robert and Pete continues to follow Haechan around (Especially in the N-CITY series). I'm thinking that the kid has done some very good stuff in his past life. Time to bring back all the information I put out in the beginning chapters. 

Just another load of information until the next chapter. Enjoy and don't be a silent reader. See you soon. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

You call me out upon the waters
The great unknown where feet may fail
And there I find You in the mystery
In oceans deep
My faith will stand

And I will call upon Your name
And keep my eyes above the waves
When oceans rise
My soul will rest in Your embrace
For I am Yours and You are mine

-Oceans, Hillsong 

 

You don’t know pain until you realize you’ve been lied to your whole life.

That was the first thing that Do Kyungsoo had thought, his eyes staring at the page.

You don’t know betrayal until you realize that trust doesn’t also apply to those who call you family.

It was a whirlwind for Do Kyungsoo because he found himself demanding Lucifer to see his father. His whole world had collapsed for a moment and he hated… so hated that Bora was looking at him like she had pieced everything together. Not her too, Kyungsoo begged in his mind.

Not her, too.

He didn’t know what he would have done if Bora knew what was going on. Until now, he has had the upper hand when it came to the afterlife. Do Kyungsoo knew that he would need a shoulder to rely on after whatever he was going to hear and he knew he was going to be cutting open a wound that had already scarred.

But the truth will set you free, Kyungsoo had to remind himself when he had numbly walked out of the buildings of the Vatican. Everyone’s voices were hushed and as he felt himself waver between the dark corners of his mind and reality, he heard Lucifer tell his medium that Miles would come with them.

They needed him—he was the first contact between Judas. They needed to see the severity of everything.

Wasn’t this severe already? To Kyungsoo, it was.

And just like that, they were back in the town that he once called home. The Do Church still up, serving the townspeople as Kyungsoo hazily stepped forward. He fought the dizziness with all his might and as his mind served him with tunnel vision so all he could think about was to find out what happened, Kyungsoo walked past the brown pillars and the stone walls.

He was already crying when he reached his father.

He couldn’t help it and as much as he wanted to know the truth, he wanted comfort. He wanted his father to tell him that he was thinking too much; that there was an explanation as to why her name was written in a diary across the world and her death was simply a possession as he had believed.

Do Kyungmin knew what had happened and his face fell the moment he set eyes on his oldest and only son.

All he had ever done was to protect his child and he knew the trauma that would come with the truth. As a parent, he did all he could.

“Kyungsoo,” Do Kyungmin began, Kyungsoo’s hands balling up into fists at the man. “Kyungsoo, listen.”

“She was pregnant, wasn’t she?” Kyungsoo demanded, his eyes red with the strain of his tears. “Why her?”

Do Kyungmin was torn to see his son that way. This wasn’t the way he wanted Kyungsoo to find out, but he was left to wonder later if there was any other way for Kyungsoo to find out. Do Kyungmin simply nodded, Kyungsoo crumpling onto the ground, his fingers curling with sadness for the pain his sister had to go through.

"She was prayed to Judas. She believed he needed redemption. Because of that, he preyed on her innocence." 

It wasn't a good enough answer for Kyungsoo. Was this the result of kindness? 

He didn’t have to ask why his father didn’t tell him. Kyungsoo knew why, but he couldn’t help but feel angry. Kyungsoo knew how his father thought. He would dwell on it, Kyungsoo admitted, maybe for the rest of his life. Maybe he would even vow to take Judas down and find out what happened to his sister if he knew.

His father had saved his childhood, Kyungsoo would realize later. Gave him moments he wouldn’t want to sacrifice for anything. Gave him friends that he very much loved and will continue to love.

So as Bora, Miles, and Lucifer stood there, Kyungsoo cried.

He didn’t know how long he was on the ground, on his knees in front of the cross with Jesus crucified in front of him but he sat there praying to God for peace. For his sister’s soul.

This is why Jesus died, Kyungsoo found himself thinking, for the sins of mortals.

And if mortals did not sin, Jesus would have died for nothing.

He knew his heart was broken and he’d have to start from the beginning, patch himself back up together like he did nine years ago when he found out his sister was gone. He felt arms wrap around his shoulders from behind, Kyungsoo’s bottom lip trembling. His body shook and he felt Bora hug him, her head on his shoulder, her fingers rubbing his clothed body to give him warmth.

“I’m so sorry, Kyungsoo,” Bora whispered and Kyungsoo let out a yell of frustration.

His head was thrown back, his unwavering gaze at the cross as he wept. God, why does it hurt so much? Since when were we born to feel such pain? Funny how the things that hurt us most are untouchable; the memories of a loved one, the feeling of helplessness.

For a few hours, Kyungsoo knelt there rooted on the spot, his head hanging low.

Bora did not leave his side.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Miles coming with them under the permission of the Pope would make the riots increase but he needed to be with us for safety. God knows when Judas would visit again, Lucifer told them. This is how I found myself in a penthouse in the middle of Seoul as Kyungsoo lifelessly lay on the couch, his eyes on the ceiling with a dead-set expression of taking Judas down.

His father has come along and the two were yet to converse but I knew it would take some time. Kyungsoo, in the end, was one to hold grudges.

The penthouse was Greed’s, Mammon sporting expensive sunglasses and a glass of whisky in hand. He had quite a body and when we reached the area, I could see that Matthew and Peniel were already there. Chanyeol and Baekhyun seemed to have made friends with the other demons, Lust not holding back in trying to flirt her way into Chanyeol’s pants.

Chanyeol was adamant, however, that his taste was in human—young women, he emphasized. Definitely not in women who are more than twenty-five, to which Lust scoffed, saying that she could easily get a younger body for herself and look twenty which was legal internationally.

“I mean, you’re like more than three thousand years old, so—” Chanyeol shrugged, moving away from her just to brake when he realized Envy stood a few feet away. “Dead end, dead end.”

Baekhyun had taken my spot beside Kyungsoo, a hand on his belly, to which Kyungsoo weirdly allowed. My brother patting Kyungsoo, our handler still in a daze when his father spoke.

“Her things,” Do Kyungmin looked at his son warily but even then, Kyungsoo did not move. He had brought a small box of Kyungha’s things and I knew that I would be standing in for Kyungsoo, having to be his brains until he could function normally.

Matthew and I stepped forward, our hands going to the box to open it when we saw the diary. It seemed that Kyungha, just like Tammy, kept a diary. Kyungsoo once mentioned that his sister had such diary and as we flipped through it, we could see the similarities on the pages.

Our eyes then fell on a rusty item that was practically breaking apart.

We had filled the rest in, Miles swinging his legs back and forth, his late mother’s box in his own arms.

“Funny how we’re demons yet we can’t help in clairvoyancy,” Envy sighed, a hand running through her sleek black hair.

“We already have power to make people sin,” Gluttony pointed out, cracking his neck. “There is a limit as to what we can do.”

“If this is the lock and key that held the chains of Jesus’ crucifixion together… this means that the memory would be fundamental to the origin of Christianity,” Peniel said, hands behind his back. Kyungsoo shot up, everyone tensing when he stretched and nodded.

“He’s back…” Baekhyun whispered, Kyungsoo standing up.

“That’s right. Judas needs it for something and whatever it is, it’s important to him. Maybe it’ll help us,” Kyungsoo began. “It makes me wonder, however, why my sister—”

I could see Do Kyungmin inhale sharply at how Kyungsoo said the phrase.

“And Mile’s mother could not open it.”

“It’s a door,” Miles began and we all turned to look at him. “I accidentally touched it once. It’s just a door. A locked memory and it was… it was hard to come back out. I think I was floating there for a moment. Maybe it helps to put the items together, I’m not sure.”

I blinked, my tongue running over my teeth when Lucifer gave me a look and I knew what he was going to ask for. I cleared my throat, Matthew’s eyebrows knitting together with worry as I carefully put the two items together before removing the cloth. The smell of iron reached my nostrils and I scrunched my nose up, my left and my right moving towards each item just to give them a little tap when suddenly, I was thrown back and right as Miles said—there was a door.

It was a single door, no handle. There were carvings and I reached out to drag a finger to feel them. Around me was darkness and the only light that shone into the room was from underneath the door, a bright yellow light.

I pressed a hand against the door firmly when it began to vibrate. There was a certain power and I felt the door turn searing hot, red words appearing on the solid surface and when I stepped away, I had to squint.

Except I could not read it and had no idea what language it was in. It was scribbles and lines and looked nothing like English. One line appeared and then another and I reached forward to try to touch the door once more to find more clues when I gasped.

“Bora!” a voice yelled and my eyes flew open, Matthew’s hands on my shoulders.

I was back at the penthouse, the demons watching me. I was on the ground and Matthew pointed at my fingers. As I lifted them up, I saw that the tips of my fingers were red and bloodied, Sloth stepping forward to narrow his eyes at the burnt skin.

“Seems like the memory is protected.”

“Hashtag, do not enter!” Lust sang from the side and I groaned, Kyungsoo leaning forward and asking me what I saw.

“Something appeared on the door,” I began, pulling my legs up to my chest. “Symbols. It wasn’t in English. It kind of… Kind of looked like hieroglyphics except less image-y.”

I had no idea if I made sense to them but it seemed like I did, Peniel frowning at my words when he pressed onto his wrist. Similar symbols came up on screen and I noticed it straight away, nodding to show that it was similar to what I saw.

[Aramaic]

“Aramaic,” Peniel said to us, the demons nodding in unison. “Jesus did not speak in English. Aramaic was the language used by scribes then, conversed by those who populated the ancient region of Syria. If it wasn’t Aramaic, then it might have been Hebrew.”

I my lips, nodding.

“I saw only a line and I have no idea what it said. Unless you want me to remember—" I told them when Kyungsoo’s voice cut in that I didn’t need to. He was flipping through the diary, both from Tammy’s and Kyungha’s one.

“There would be a couple of reasons why Tammy and Kyungha couldn’t open it,” Kyungsoo said, standing up to place the diaries on the table. “One, the lock and the key weren’t physically together. Judas would not have known they had to be. He must have thought that two clairvoyants accessing each connecting item would suffice, the same way some people can meet through dreams. Two,”

Kyungsoo tapped on a page.

“They each had a piece of the puzzle that they did not put together. My sister—” Kyungsoo cleared his throat. “Killed herself first once the baby began to grow rapidly. Tammy Pennington followed soon after. The information was in two different places because my father kept her diary and it was never spoken of—”

“And Judas’ couldn’t access their memories?” I asked, frowning.

“Most likely not. Kyungha and Tammy aren’t of Judas’ blood. They are clairvoyants but they aren’t directly connected to Judas like Miles is. What I’m thinking is that he thought that if Kyungha and Tammy could not make it, he’d still have the children; Miles and his other sibling to open the memory. Sadly, Kyungha clawed her organs out.” Kyungsoo gave his father a look and it was weird seeing him act this way… Like he wasn’t just crying a moment ago.

“If Kyungha’s baby and Miles survived, he would have access to their memories and their dreams. Groomed since young and if they opened the memory, he would be able to see it. That’s why he needed two babies. Tammy and Kyungha were the first trial.” Kyungsoo paused, tightening his cuffs, a tongue sticking out the side of his cheek. “Back to the diary.”

He pointed at the page and right at the corner, I saw something written.

“My sister was a smart girl. She would have found out along the way what the door needed to be opened,” Kyungsoo murmured to himself, his fingers smoothing over the writing. “And if it’s about Christianity—”

“Genesis 2:21-22,” Peniel said, frowning. “Adam and Eve.”

“Isn’t that the story of how the first humans disobeyed God and got sent down to Earth?” I asked. That much, I knew. “What are you trying to say?”

“Adam and Eve, Bora,” Kyungsoo continued. “Man and woman. Two people of the opposite in order to populate the world. Don’t you think Christianity would put importance into that?”

I paused, trying to figure out what he was trying to say.

“You’re saying that it has to be a male and a woman?” I ask, Kyungsoo giving me a nod. “Because that’s how humans started on Earth?”

“I’m following my sister’s footsteps,” Kyungsoo said, pointing once again and I chewed on my bottom lip. “She would have known what she was doing. Does this look like what you saw on the door?”

With a flash, he slid his phone to me and my eyes fell on the symbols on the paper. Confirming that it did look familiar, Kyungsoo gave a satisfied grunt.

“Genesis 2:21-2,” he said smoothly. “but in Aramaic.”

“And where are we going to find another male clairvoyant?” I asked, raising an eyebrow. “Are we supposed to go and find someone who is registered as a clairvoyant and bring them here?”

“It would be better if it was someone who had been tainted by a demon. Would be able to handle it better,” Peniel murmured, chewing on his lip. “A typical clairvoyant may not have enough strength to open such memory. Those tainted by demons would have an immunity to it. Safer. Stronger. And we hope the effects won’t linger.”

“Ahuh, right,” Chanyeol chuckled from the side. “Where do we find someone like that?”

Baekhyun rolled his eyes, my brother sighing under his breath.

“Not like we can call Lee Haechan back. I heard he’s traveling the world.”

We blinked; Chanyeol, Baekhyun, Kyungsoo and I looking up to stare at each other.

“Oh no,” Baekhyun breathed. “We’re going to bring back Lee Haechan.”

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

There was something about Lee Haechan that was so lucky. It was like the afterlife management team had always kept tabs on him and it made me wonder why. Whether it was information that I was going to find out or not, I told myself that it was relevant.

There was a reason that I thought that, and it was because Lee Haechan always had Robert and Pete with him. I found myself thinking this, trying to fall asleep just to sneak in an hour of sleep before we would go and bring Lee Haechan back to Korea.

He was traveling the world, I knew that. He went to Thailand but was he even there anymore? Definitely not. The kid wouldn’t be able to stay in one place for too long. I was able to fall asleep for quite some time, later being shaken awake by Matthew who pointed at his screen.

“Peniel asked for help from the team. They already have Lee Haechan tagged and he’s in Bali. Just landed from Thailand,” Matthew told me and I yawned. My body was tired but it was buzzing with so much adrenaline from the overload of information. “We can also just find Robert and Pete and wherever they are in the selected area, Lee Haechan is nearby.”

“Are they still following him around like they used to when he was fifteen?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter