case of the midnight man 2/3

The Bracelet Club
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Kyungsoo hated people who thought they knew everything about the world. He hated being treated like he was stupid, like he was crazy. But as much as he hated it, he was used to it and Kyungsoo ended up sitting across the policemen while they interrogated him.

“The people in the party told us that you were the one who warned them not to play the game. What do you know about the killer?”

It was funny how they thought it was a killer, Kyungsoo thought to himself, but he didn’t blame them. It was hard to believe, Jessie’s little brother, Jason wasn't the type to kill himself. It could have been easily planted, they said. The room wasn’t thrashed. Someone must have knocked on the door and went in, killing him and planting the fountain pen in his hand.

It happened years ago and even if the case years ago raised a lot of questions, they would never blame it on the supernatural. Haechan was first and Kyungsoo watched him tremble, telling everyone that he saw a man that had no face.

“He had no face!” Haechan was yelling repeatedly and upon checking, they were certain to find little traces of alcohol that had faded the three hours they were in the house. It wasn’t subtle because of the time that had passed, but it was there.

Drugs! They had said, Haechan stomping his feet and telling them that he was sure of what he saw. It didn’t take long before he was grabbed and his father walked through the police doors, pissed and angry.

Drugs? The Chairman of the Lee Enterprises had demanded, towering over his fifteen-year-old son. How dare you take drugs? Kyungsoo wanted to say something but he held himself back and soon after, he was in the same spot that Haechan was at a few moments ago.

It was different with Kyungsoo, though. They were intimidated by him and their questions were asked carefully. It must have been the cross that was glittering around his neck, Kyungsoo holding it and staring at the policemen. They cleared their throat, their nervousness evident due to Kyungsoo’s demeanor.

“It wasn’t human,” Kyungsoo said, staring at them. “What came and killed him wasn’t human.”

Of course, they wouldn’t believe him. Why would they? Humans were dumb and they were ignorant.

“He was a bystander to a game that he didn’t take part in. He probably invited the demon in, thinking it was a person he knew. A demon knows of the weaknesses of mortals.” Kyungsoo was cut off by a wave of a hand, the male shaking his head. “Why do you ask me questions when you refuse to believe in what I say?”

They were scared of Kyungsoo, Kyungsoo could feel it. He preferred it that way. He leaned forward, his voice monotonous and dry—He was used to explaining the ways of the supernatural because it was kind of his forte but today, he was just tired.

“Because there are no such things as demons. If there are demons, it means there is a god,” the policeman answered and Kyungsoo leaned back, studying the male. A skeptic… Or maybe, he was broken. Maybe he lost someone, something that was dear to him, and in the process, he had lost his faith.

It happened a lot to people.

It happened to Kyungsoo, too.

But the handler pushed everything aside, telling him what he knew. He said that he believed that it wasn’t human.

“The game summoned him,” Kyungsoo told them, refusing to change his testimony. No one would be able to tell him what he knew was right. He wasn’t going to change his words for the law. “Once you play the game, people die.”

“How is that possible?” The man demanded and the glint of the handcuffs glittered under the dim yellow light of the interrogation room. “It’s not possible for that to happen. A game doesn’t simply kill people. Humans are the ones evil.”

“Demons used to be human, too.”

“Holy—”

Kyungsoo expected the man to blow up; expected him to say something demeaning but the door was pushed open and walked in a man he had never seen before. He was a little bit too prim and proper to be a policeman, the man holding a briefcase. Kyungsoo had never seen him before, the male cocking up an eyebrow.

“Mr. Choi,” the policeman suddenly said and the person nodded at him. “What are you doing here—”

“I’m his lawyer,” the man said, his eyes settling on Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo frowned. He didn’t have a personal lawyer. His father would have found out about this but a lawyer? No. This man was here for something else. The only thing that was similar about him and Kyungsoo was the cross that hung in the middle of his chest. It stood out like a sore thumb.

“I need utmost privacy with my client and no, he’s not in trouble but this opens an old case, Captain Ahn. I hope it won’t go on his records.” The male said and Kyungsoo could almost see the policeman wonder why there was any need for a lawyer.

The question was answered when the police left the room and the man smiled at him.

“Choi Siwon,” he introduced himself. “Lawyer of Lee Enterprises.”

“Did Haechan send you?”

“No, I came on my own. Haechan will have to go through punishment but it’s because of under aged drinking. You were also in a party—”

“I didn’t drink.”

“I’m not saying you did. I requested to talk to you after hearing what you said. I want to know your thoughts on the incident that happened tonight. May I?” Choi Siwon asked, motioning to the chair. Kyungsoo wondered why he was asking permission to sit down but it was obvious that he did it because he was used to it.

Once Choi Siwon sat down, Kyungsoo flickered his eyes over to the male.

“What do you want to know about what happened? I think I told them everything I knew.”

“I don’t want you to tell me what you saw. I want you to tell me what you think happened.”

“It was a demon,” Kyungsoo said simply… almost robotically and Choi Siwon didn’t seem fazed by his words. “A demon summoned by people. A demon who feeds on fear. A folklore demon. It wasn’t human.”

“And you saw this demon?”

“Yes. He roamed around because he didn’t catch anyone in time to possess them and to murder people.” Kyungsoo saw a flash of recognition in his eyes. It made Kyungsoo wonder why he didn’t react like the rest. “Why so interested?”

“Why wouldn’t I be?” The lawyer rebutted and Kyungsoo blinked. “It’s a rewind of the past. When my friends—”

And that was the slip up; Kyungsoo’s eyes widening at the words the man had said. Siwon cleared his throat, swallowing hard when Kyungsoo stood up, leaning forward.

“Friends?” He demanded. “What friends? Which friends?”

The way Kyungsoo bombarded him with questions made Siwon feel uncomfortable but he was a lawyer for a reason and his features went from what Kai would call shooketh to a resting face.

“Do you not have friends?”

“Not the kind of friends I’d mention in an interrogation room while talking about demons.”

Kyungsoo had a point, Siwon giving out a defeated sigh. Kyungsoo’s eyes darted back and forth.

“I was there. The Gory murders of the BH dorms, they call it,” Siwon said simply and Kyungsoo fell back against the seat. “And I remember thinking that there was a reason why people died that night. Tiffany…”

“Tiffany?”

“The person who murdered everyone. She wasn’t one to do that,” Siwon whispered. “I obsessed over it. People didn’t believe me when I said she couldn’t have changed over what… an hour? Half an hour? It was like she was fighting something within herself.”

“You were one of the seven that survived,” Kyungsoo said this as a statement, Siwon reaching towards his sleeve and undoing a button. He pushed his sleeves up and Kyungsoo saw a long scar, guessing it was from when Tiffany might have tried to kill him.

“She barreled after me and I tried to hold her off. Her voice changed from her begging me to save her to her wanting to kill me. Something was wrong with her and it wasn’t her going insane,” Choi Siwon said, frowning. “When I heard of the news, I came straight here and when I arrived, I heard what you said. It’s too similar. The same game we played, the gutting of people—”

“I told you what I know,” Kyungsoo said finally, pressing his lips together. Sure, he was curious about what happened but what good would be it be to unravel the truth?

“You don’t understand. Very few people came out of that incident fine.”

Kyungsoo looked down. Of course, they didn’t. A demon ruins your life. Crossing paths with one will stain your soul. The dreams would come and, on some days, the shaking. The evil of a demon is contagious and even Kyungsoo wouldn’t know how far the severity of meeting one is.

“There is also Heechul but last I heard of him, he decided to stay in juvie. He’s a guard there now. He was the one who told us to play the game. He was adamant and I know a few of us who believe that it wasn’t a serial killer that night. Some of us still blame him.”

“Why would you blame him for suggesting a game? He wouldn’t have known how it would have turned out.”

“No, but you don’t understand. It seemed like he did.” Siwon chewed on his bottom lip. “He was antsy that night. Like he had something to do. You know, he had candles ready. Paper. Pins. Who prepares all that? I believe the game was planned.”

His words made Kyungsoo stop talking, the male deep in thought before he asked Siwon the only question that mattered.

“And what are you thinking of doing? What do you want?”

“My girlfriend died that night,” Siwon replied. “I don’t know what I’m doing but I know what I want. I want to know the truth.”

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Minseok was pissed.

While Baekhyun and Matthew were sent back home, I was in the police station with Sehun, Kai, and Minseok. Matthew was drained out and I knew that even if he was dead, he could hardly move around. The demon seemed to have that effect on him. Other than my pounding headache, I was numb in some places but other than that, I felt fine.

We had left Teddy, the eighteen-year-old girl we had met at Jessie’s house and we didn’t exchange numbers due to the sudden arrival of the police. Jessie was distraught and Teddy seemed to know that she had to fulfill her responsibilities as a servant, the female taking her away and before we knew it—she was gone.

Haechan and Kyungsoo were the first that the police wanted to speak to—everyone pointing fingers at Kyungsoo because his behavior stood out. Minseok too, was detained because he had picked a fight before the game started and said verbatim, “People will die if you play this game.”.

While Kyungsoo was being spoken to, I saw Haechan cowering at a corner with Jeno standing beside him, his head hanging low. Of course, Jeno would get the blame. Mr. Lee, Haechan’s father, paced around back and forth and looked like he would explode anytime soon.

“You are going to juvie!”

“Papa, no!” Haechan wailed. “If I go, I’m bringing Jeno with me!”

“Uh—Back it up. I am not going to juvie. With all of my respect, Mr. Lee. I am not going to juvie.” Jeno could be heard repeating.

“Do not call me Papa, Lee Haechan. It’s Father to you,” Mr. Lee seethed. “And I agree, Jeno. Only my son belongs in juvie. Maybe then he will learn that drugs and alcohol will ruin his life!”

Minseok had most of my concern, his knuckles white and his body trembling.

He began to mutter to himself and it was a first seeing the usually collected and calm Minseok act this way. Then again, losing family did that to you.

“Minseok.”

“I can’t believe this happened again. I told them! I told them,” Minseok hissed, Sehun and Kai exchanging a glance. “That demon killed my brother, Bora. That demon made him gut himself and this is exactly how it ended. How am I going to stand here and do nothing—”

“Minseok.” I wanted to calm him down and even if it wasn’t my place, I had to try. I placed a hand on his shoulder and Minseok shuddered. It was that moment when Kyungsoo arrived, his big owl eyes on Minseok before he lowered his head, heaving a sigh. “Kyungsoo, you’re back.”

Minseok reached out to grab Kyungsoo’s arm, the male squeezing it.

“You can obliviate a demon, right?” He suddenly asked. “You can do it, right? That’s your job.”

Kyungsoo was silent, letting Minseok say what he wanted to say. Ask what he wanted to ask. When in pain, let people have their way. I saw the handler nod slowly, his eyes going to Minseok who gave a determined nod.

“We have to get rid of him.”

“Minseok.” Kyungsoo’s voice had a different effect on him than mine and with one word, Minseok had let go of Kyungsoo’s arm. “He’s too powerful.”

“You can’t just say that and not try anything.” Minseok replied but Kyungsoo simply stared at him.

“I know you are hurting.”

“All the more we should do something!” Minseok’s voice rose and I saw how his hands turned into fists. “Because people are going to die. How many stupid teenagers are going to try this game once it’s reported, Kyungsoo? How many people are going to die out of curiosity?”

Kyungsoo’s silence seemed to tick Minseok off, the male slamming his fist down onto the table.

“If you’re not going to do it, then I’ll find someone who will.”

With that, Minseok had exited the room and I was about to go after him, standing up halfway when Kyungsoo grabbed my wrist. Sehun and Kai looked over at Minseok, seeing him disappear down the hallway.

“Let him go,” Kyungsoo said softly and I nodded. “Some things we shouldn’t mess with.”

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

But that was short-lived and a couple of days before the October break end was supposed to end, news articles began to emerge. It was horrific and gruesome, two more bodies were found gutted and a few others dead from playing the game. I was in bed, Matthew sitting on the chair by me while I read the news headlines out.

“Three people dead. Killer arrested.”

“People are playing the game, Bora,” Matthew said and the usual chirpy, happy-go-lucky guardian angel seemed down from the news. “They think it’s funny.”

“Humans like to challenge things they don’t know, Matthew,” I told him and he sighed, pressing his lips together. “You think Minseok is okay?”

“You should call him,” Matthew said, motioning to my flip phone when there was a knock on the door, and frowned. Matthew quickly stood up, telling me that he got it but I told him that I’d go with him.

Once we reached the door, I opened it to see Minseok standing there with dark shadows under his eyes. It was obvious that he hadn’t gotten an ounce of sleep and he staggered forward, both Matthew and I trying to catch him (Matthew with no avail being a ghost), and I found myself bringing Minseok into my bedroom.

He was blank, spaced out, and shivering and I pressed a hand onto his forehead.

“Minseok.”

“You have to help me, Bora,” was all he said and I felt a pang of pity. “I don’t know what to do.”

I didn’t ask him what he wanted me to do. I knew it was a cry of help and that all Minseok needed was peace of mind. I knew that a part of him would never be settled until we got rid of The Midnight Man and the fact that people were dying because of it made it worse. I called for Baekhyun, my brother showing up at my bedroom just to stop when he caught sight of Minseok.

“Oh.” In his hand, he held his iPhone and he brought it up in the air to take a photo when he sent it to someone. “Hey, hyung. How are you doing?”

Baekhyun was gentle by nature and I knew with the way he was asking the question carefully that he was scared of triggering any negative emotions. A moment passed and then there was a ding from Baekhyun’s iPhone, the male looking down onto his phone when he frowned.

“Kyungsoo.”

“Yeah, what about him?”

“He says to go over.”

“What?”

“He also sent his address.” Baekhyun showed us his phone. “He said, word for word, “Club meeting at my house.”

“Unless it’s about The Midnight Man, I’m not going,” Minseok murmured when another ding sounded and Baekhyun read it out loud.

“It’s about The Midnight Man.”

“Well, goddamnit.”

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

When we reached Kyungsoo’s apartment, we saw that he wasn’t alone.

A man was there with him and he was definitely unfamiliar. He had brought papers over and I saw that there were two mugs of coffee on the table—it was as if he had stayed over and both of them were investigating something.

“Everyone, this is Choi Siwon,” Kyungsoo said and he r

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter