Myth

Pretend Alpha
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A\n: Just to be clear, my abo au always make them connected to werewolves, normally alphas and all don't have powers or perform magic but i wanted to add that concept just for fun, and other things about imprinting and stuff are also made up on my part- i am not exactly sure what the 'real' abo and werewolves facts are but oh well. All of this is- as expected- fictional :D

6k words huh B)

 

 

 

As if it wasn’t enough to be dumped on all the unbelievable information, another problem- sorry- his mother was making her way to them from the opposite side as their friends approached them. Mark took a deep breath, this wouldn’t be ending well.

“Hello, mother” He greeted her brightly, she was one of the elders too, so of course, she would know- but he knew they were in public and his mother really took her reputation seriously.

“Son” She nodded “Mark, how long has it been since you visited us or even called, huh? Do you not miss your family?” She raised her brow, looking all like a powerful woman and not a mother. Mark stopped himself from sighing again, even if she was his stepmother, she did care for his father and the family- but her views were pretty narrow and traditional- and she kept on pushing him to court high class or rich omegas to increase their influence, and he despised political aspect of their life. Not his mother, no, she adored all the business and other things that came with it. One of the reasons, his father and Helen didn’t work till the end, his father was a sensitive man.

“Honey, let the boy be, at least he came, yeah?”

“David, dear, he should come home soon is all I am saying. But alright, I will let go” She gave a gentle smile towards his father, always had a soft spot for him, before starting again “there are quite amazing families here today… even the omega of Kim has come to the party” she seemed gleeful. Mark was grateful Jaehyun had stopped their friends from coming closer, he didn’t need more argument on the choosing of his pack member- which he had no clue about either but didn’t mind.

“Helen” Lee intervened “we should head back to the party, shall we?”

“Of course, Mark, come, there are too many prospects to meet”

“… no mother, I can’t” he answered in a grimace, knowing Jaebum was becoming anxious, especially after the news, and he was even more clueless about the whole ordeal.

“Wha-” She stopped suddenly, eyes widening in horror, she immediately looked at her ex-husband, realizing he also knew about it. “Y-You… you have ma-!?” her rising voice suddenly quieted down, there were too many people here for such news, and she of all people doesn’t want to stir up any rumor, even if it may be true.

“Even we didn’t know” Mark replied in a low voice. He saw Lee casting some sort of spell around them to make sure nothing goes out, with so many elders and werewolves in this place, the possibility of their conversation getting out is too high.

“What the hell does that mean!? You didn’t know? How can someone m-m-… do that and doesn’t know?”

“Calm down, Hele, you will draw more attention if you get angry here” David tried to simmer her outburst, they can’t just put a wall here, it would only cause more attention. Helen took a deep breath, her scent was still sour from anger but it was getting calmer.

“is he-?” Mark held Jaebum’s hand as his mother pointed towards the omega, feeling Jaebum tightening his hold in nervousness, the alpha nodded in answer. “”

Mark, David, and Lee stared at each other, she was furious.

“Hele-”

“Not a word” she sternly replied “you both, out of this party, I don’t want this getting out. Dav, there are guests to meet, let’s go” she didn’t even spare another glance at Jaebum, schooling her expression as welcoming, she walked back into the crowd, restarting her pleasantries.

“This is clearly a disaster, but try to sort his mess before it gets out in the open- you know how old families are, I trust you to take care of this. And let’s talk about it later- maybe something must have happened when you were drunk... or something. But speculations won't help” Then he looked at Jaebum “Welcome to the family, kid. Let’s get to know each other later when I don’t have his mom on my ”

“Ew”

“Shut it, son.” He said sternly but his eyes were twinkling, his expression changed as he shifted to Jaebum, something gentle in its place “Take care, Jaebum. Don’t take her behavior to your heart… she was rude but she is not a bad person” with that he retreated, leaving to meet the guests with his ex-wife. Jaebum was taken aback at the casual use of his name- and basically the whole conversation.

“He likes you” Mark smiled, conflicted about whatever took place. Jaebum let out a shaky breath, suddenly feeling tired, he was so worried about meeting Mark’s parents that it nearly drained all his energy. He knew the confrontation with his mother would be bad, but on a scale from okay to worst, it was somewhere in the middle. He doesn’t know what part of the exchange it happened, but he didn’t feel as dejected as he thought he would, maybe because Mark was willing to stand for him or his father accepting him- or them being mates- gosh that hasn’t sunk in yet- but he wasn’t anxious anymore. He could feel too clearly what Mark was going through, such strong emotions were disorienting him into processing anything.

 

 

 

“Heyooo, why the long faces?” Youngjae asked, looking like he enjoyed himself but he was worried after knowing Mark’s mother wasn’t keen on accepting unorthodox omegas. Jungkook had his hand on Taehyung’s waist, and the omega didn’t seem to mind it either, his face content- and a tad bit shy. The others, part of Mark’s pack, were around Lucas, their hands keep on touching the beta without preamble. They had come back after taking a detour of the whole party. 

Mark glanced at his boyf- mate?- and Jaebum nodded to him in resignation, well it was better to come out clean since they had no clue what went wrong with the bite- or really anything in span of these few weeks. Maybe more heads can help sort the mess.

“Let’s get out of here first” was all Mark said. Nobody argued as they were aware something must have happened. They followed the duo quietly as Mark lead them out through the door, he was glad for one thing at least- he didn’t need to stay at the party where his mother only did the job of matchmaking. The only place where no one would bother them was the library/lounge- who would want to read at a party, right?

“There’s a library in this room, at the end of the hall, nobody would disturb us there. My father has placed an enchantment so we should be fine. Is it okay?” He asked Jaebum, needing to be sure Jaebum was fine with- well- anything he is doing. Jaebum smiled in assurance, taking a deep breath before taking Mark’s outstretched hand.

“Are there enough chairs for us?” Ten stopped to ask “Jaehyun has a similar room and it only contains a chaise lounge- I mean two-three can sit on it but we are… nine people”

“don’t worry mine’s bigger than his-”

“you sure?” Jaehyun smirked, then he looked at Jaebum “Ah right, he is, isn’t he?”

“U-Uhm-” Jaebum blushed, biting his lips shyly, the worrying being replaced by the memories of last night rushing in, his skin warming up at the thought of it. Mark glared at him, and Lucas reprimanded the alpha quietly.

“Let’s just go” Youngjae hurried them to their goal.

 

Mark wasn’t wrong, it was huge, not what they expected when he led them to a small door at the corner of the room. Youngjae and Taehyung couldn’t help looking around, assets worth millions were in the room and it was fascinating. Mark told them to get inside as he needed to place the enchantments again.

There wasn’t much in the room aside from large and thick old books with threatening auras on the wooden stands. Mark muttered something and the room filled with sofas and tables. Jungkook took the small loveseat and dragged Taehyung with him while Youngjae took the bean bag for a single person like him. Jungwoo and Ten took the sofa, beckoning Lucas to sit between them, Jaehyun grumbled at being left out but the duo argued he had spent a lot of time with Lucas yesterday and even today- the alpha huffed before sitting at the only empty sofa.

Jaebum took a seat on the sofa beside Jungkook’s loveseat, Mark sitting between him and Jaehyun, unconsciously wedging himself in between them. There were even drinks and snacks laid on the table, pen, and paper if need be.

“Do you need anything?” Mark acquired, his instinct of taking care of the omega was increasing as minutes passed by. Jaebum shook his head, throwing a cutting look at Youngjae before he could make a stupid comment.

“Just that the suit wasn’t needed” Jaebum scoffed, removing the stuffy coat and vest so that he could breathe, he didn’t like complicated things- clothes or any. Mark’s eyes followed each moment with hunger, redness spilling in his irises but disappearing just as quickly as he tried to reign himself- it was hard. Pun not intended. The pale skin under the black shirt looked even more inviting, shining like a pearl, and he hated how red bruises would peek out if Jaebum ed one more bu-

Jaehyun poked at him, smirking.

Mark rolled his eyes, trying to push away the thought of making sure he would mark more of the unblemished skin so that everyone would know Jaebum was his. He didn’t know where these thoughts were coming from. And he didn’t like how strong the urges were getting.

"But you look really good" Mark unconsciously uttered though it was barely audible, eyes on Jaebum as if he was bewitched. Jaebum heard it, looking away to hide his embarrassment while the others cooed at them. Mark growled at them to shut up. 

“Alright, guys, enough with the suspense,” Youngjae asked again, despite the humorous atmosphere, he was about to lose his .

“…apparently we have mated” Mark huffs out after a long silence.

“Are you pulling our legs?” Jaehyun joked, chuckling “yesterday was the first time you had so-”

“Hyung!” Lucas scolded “don’t say things that will make Jaebum-hyung uncomfortable!”

“Yeah yeah pup, fine” Jaehyun rolled his eyes, not understanding why Lucas was so protective of the omega. Though even he felt the urge to protect Jaebum, somewhere inside his mind, which was definitely weird. “and I know your rut is not until two more weeks, and I definitely didn’t smell anyone in heat yesterday or today if you did it-”

“Hyuuung!”

“Manners, Jaehyun” Ten chuckled, his hand curling around Lucas’s waist and pulled the beta down on his lap as he got comfortable on the sofa.

“Hyung’s heat still has some time to drop by” Youngjae thought loudly, the technicalities not matching up with the outcome. Jaebum sighed, it’s not like he had any answers either, they didn’t even know for sure except that Mark’s father dropped this bomb on them.

“My father told me”

“Oh…” Jaehyun froze, eyes widening as he looked between them, “then it has to be true- elder wolves can sense these things… but this cannot be possible”

“What did you do?” Jungkook asked calmly, but it was obvious the alpha was furious. Jaebum wanted one day of peace, he didn’t feel like dealing with all of this, he just got his boyfriend- can’t he enjoy it without trouble stirring up? He slumped further into the sofa. Mark, detecting his mood, grabbed his hand for comfort. 

“I bit him but-”

“it shouldn’t matter,” Jungwoo said “bite without heat doesn’t work, even if he is an elite, unless you have the pure blood, and it’s a rarity even with that condition, mating at will is impossible”

“and though Mr. Tuan is an elder, he doesn’t have pure blood- neither his mother- and I don’t think Jaebum has too- he wouldn’t be able to hide it” Ten supplied. Mark’s pack was pretty smart, Jaebum thought. Ten raised his hand, making some movements before a bunch of books appeared on the table. The omega couldn’t help but wonder how all the people in Mark’s group were so talented and powerful? They just wave hands and magic is cast, he knows as a matter of fact how hard it is to control magic, as magic is the part of nature and nature isn’t for anyone to tame.

“There’s a party out there but noo we gotta research”

“You’re welcome to get your out if you don’t wanna know what the went wrong with your pack, Jaehyun”

“Ah Mark, the man after my own heart”

“That’s a lie!” Lucas giggled, shutting up when Jaehyun gave him a heated look of promise, the poor beta reddening under the hot gaze.

“Alright alright, now not to brag but I am a history major and I have studied almost all materials of present werewolf’s anatomy and history leading up to the beginning of time- well as much there is available aside from myths. And nothing like this is possible- not right now. The only way to find something plausible- that isn’t known knowledge is to look deep into ancient books and rituals, those are the ones in encrypted scriptures so not many read it. Even if we translate it by many helps, the interpretation can be of more than one possibility. I will see what I can do about that, but right now all we can do is dig into all the books regarding ‘mates’ for any scrape of information we can find- yeah?” Ten finished his rant, looking at them expectantly, everyone groaned out a 'yes, Ten'.

He gave all of them related books and they started researching their supposed situation. They fell into silence as they started reading through the books, making sure to mark if there was something even slightly relevant. Jungwoo had a book in his hand as Lucas laid his head on the alpha’s lap, almost ready to doze off. Ten was pacing around the library, his nerd mode on as he continued to work on many books at the same

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter