Promise

Hunger

The whole weekend I spent in bed. I was sad that I thought I found someone I loved but angry that Taeyeon kept a secret like that from me.

A knock came on my door and Tiffany let herself in, “Jessica you haven’t come out all weekend. Are you sure you don’t want to talk about it?”

I shook my head.

Tiffany sat on my bed and rubbed my arm, “Is it about Taeyeon? Everything looked to be going well for you two.”

Wiping away my tears, I sat up slightly, “Can I ask a question?”

Tiffany perked up, “Of course, anything.”

“Hypothetically…what would you do if you found out the person you loved was a vampire?”

Tiffany fought back a fit of giggles, “Well…vampires aren’t real so that is a really random question.”

“Still…what would you do? Could you ever find yourself loving them back?”

Tiffany thought for a second, “I guess if they never tried to hurt me, then how would that be different than any other relationship?”

“But vampires kill people for their blood!”

Tiffany patted my arm, “Jessica stop watching horror shows. Who knows? Maybe this hypothetical vampire is good. You’ll never know until you ask.” I yelped when she slapped my , “Now get your pretty out of bed and come some stupid movie Yoona put on.

With that Tiffany left the room.

Sitting up, I decided tomorrow I need to stop running away from my problems. Taeyeon could genuinely like me or I am a tasty treat, but what is life other than taking chances?

 

Monday creeped up fast after joining Tiffany and Yoona for a movie marathon yesterday. Every minute working, I could feel the anxiety creep over me with each ticking of the clock. The longer I was here, the excitement, fear and uneasiness in my stomach churned. Would I happy to see her again? Something deep down inside made me think that I would have no choice but to face her tonight as I watched the sun starting to set.

Due to my habits of avoiding trouble, I took on a little extra work and headed out close to 10pm. This was dangerous. I could have left early when the sun was still cresting, but it seemed fate and my stubbornness would have me face everything head-on.

Peering out the door of my building I looked left and right, no one was there. Letting out a sigh of relief, I closed the building door and head down the steps where Taeyeon nearly scared me to death [no pun intended] coming from the shadows.

She looked desperate, “Jessica…can you give me a minute to explain?”

I looked at her up and down, she was still the cute Taeyeon I fell in love with, “I called a cab. It will be here soon, you have until then.” Maybe I shouldn’t have sounded so harsh. What cab did I order? She has all night to eat talk to me.

Taeyeon stepped closer, “I won’t deny what you saw that night, but I swear to you, I would never hurt you.”

“Taeyeon…vampires eat people.”

Taeyeon shook her head, “Correction we need blood. I don’t need to kill anyone for blood. Animal blood works just as well. Vampires are not all mean…we are just put into a very unfortunate situation.”

“Then why did you pursue me? Were you going to toy with me and then eat me later?”

Taeyeon threw her head back and sighed, “I never had any intention to harm you. I fell for you…”

“Why would a vampire need a human?”

“I guess when you live for hundreds of years you realize what is really important in life. Love. If you know you are going to live forever, falling in love is the best part of those days you get to live. I know what I am…can be scary and I understand if you don’t want to see me anymore but can you find it in your heart to give me a chance? I still really want to be your girlfriend.”

She does seem sincere…should I trust her? I mean we have been alone many times and she never once tried to attack me.

Taeyeon looked down kicking an imaginary rock, “I can already tell you are going to say no. I respect your decision…it is just lonely knowing everyone thinks you are a monster, but I don’t feel any different than before. Just because this thing happened to me…doesn’t mean I turned evil or anything.”

Be brave Jessica. Stepping forward, I gently held onto Taeyeon’s arm, “Okay. I will give you a chance but one attempt on my neck and I will have your neck okay?”

Taeyeon squealed in excitement and did a strange happy dance, “I won’t! I promise, you are safe with me!”

It is strange how her bubbly personality is so infectious. I am supposed to be terrified of her and all I want to do now is give her a hug or squish those cheeks. Kim Taeyeon I can’t tell if you have me under some kind of spell because you keep making me fall for you over and over again.

Slowly, Taeyeon intertwined our fingers, “Can I walk you home?”

Rubbing her cold fingers in mine, I still had a lot of doubts, but the familiarity of her soft skin put me at ease, “yes.”

Leading the way, Taeyeon swung our hands back and forth like usual, “Do you umm need to cancel that cab you ordered?”

I laughed nervously, “I think it will be fine.”

Taeyeon bumped by hip playfully, “There was no cab, was there?”

I bumped her back, “who knows…”

It was nice hearing her giggling next to my ears.

I loved that things seemed strangely normal but at the same time, I had so many questions. Looking over at her face and down to our hands, I still knew nothing about her but I felt at ease with her. Can I truly trust her or am I playing a foolish game?

Taeyeon stopped, “Will I see you tomorrow?”

“Huh?” I looked up and saw we were in front of my home. I didn’t even notice we were already here.

Rubbing the back of her neck, I could tell Taeyeon was a little nervous.

“If you happen to show up at my work…I don’t see why not.”

Taeyeon gave her cute side smile and then leaned in for kiss but I unintentionally flinched and she quickly backed away, “Sorry. I umm…” Taeyeon let out a huge sigh of regret and was ready to step back, but I held on and gave her a quick peck on the cheek.

“Good night Taeyeon.”

I could see her trying to hide a huge smile before I turned and went back into the house.

Softly I closed the door behind me and leaned against it. I repeated to myself that it was still Taeyeon for the rest of the night, but the apprehension was holding me back from fully accepting her for who she really is.

----------------

Like clockwork, Taeyeon showed up at my work the next night, but as soon as she saw me, she gave me an unusual look.

“Jessica…it is summer why are you wearing a turtleneck?”

I pulled at the tight fabric around my neck, “N-no reason.”

“You do realize blood comes from many places in your body…the neck is not the only location.” Taeyeon giggled as she started to walk ahead.

“Are you teasing me?”

Taeyeon looked back and smiled, “You look ridiculous with that on when it is hot out.”

Catching up to her, I naturally let our hands magnetize together, “The nights can still be chilly.”

Taeyeon pulled me a little closer, “If you are cold, I will warm you up.”

My face flushed from the close proximity, “maybe this turtleneck is a little warm.”

Taeyeon laughed, “you are so cute. We should get you home before you die of heatstroke.”

Not wanting to get teased even more, I changed the topic, “So tell me about yourself…I feel like I know nothing about you.”

Taeyeon hummed in thought, “What are you curious about?”

“Age?”

“I am forever in my 20s…but I am not as old as you think. I was turned around the 1920s…so nearly 100 years old. There are people I still know that are alive.”

“Are you still in contact with them?”

Taeyon shook her head, “I am too afraid. They are getting older and seeing me…I don’t want to scare them away.”

“That must .”

Taeyeon shrugged her shoulders, “There were times that I thought I could save them from…dying but there is no way they should live a life in darkness like me. Instead, I made new friends and try not to dwell on the past.”

It wasn’t long till we arrived at my house and stopped, “I have one more question…the boy at the carnival. Is he also?”

Taeyeon smiled, “Have you ever seen a night carnival before?”

“No…”

“There are more of us around than you may think. Most of us want to still live out our lives but it is hard living it with other humans. I don’t want to hide all the time but as you can see…it is not always easy going back to something normal.”

Looking into Taeyeon’s eyes I could see the pain reflected into those dark orbs. Maybe this relationship wasn’t going to be easy for either of us, but I know these feelings I have for Taeyeon are more than enough to try so this is the painfully awkward beginning of the story between me and my adorable vampire girlfriend Taeyeon.

Taeyeon stepped back and smiled, “Have a good night Jessica.”

Wanting to wipe away the sadness from Taeyeon’s face, I pulled her in for a hug, “I like normal…if that means you get to be normal with me.”

I could feel Taeyeon burying her smile into my neck as she held me closer, “Do you really mean that?”

“Of course…you are my girlfriend after all.”

Taeyeon pulled away quickly with that silly grin on her face, “I will be the best girlfriend ever.”

I laughed as I brought her in for a kiss. As long as I don’t become dinner, I think Taeyeon could be the best girlfriend ever.