Carnival

Hunger

This was a bad idea. I never liked drinking to begin with but my friends managed to drag me out to this club and abandoned me when they found some hot guy!

Looking down at my watch I noticed that it has been already 3 hours since we arrived...no wonder I am so bored. I sighed in frustration as I saw my friends on the dance floor lost in the beat. Sighing again, I wondered what time we would leave. It isn’t like I could just leave without them although I wanted to trade in all my precious hours of sleep to just get out of this place!

Another drink later, I decided to leave for some fresh air. Grabbing my clutch, I went towards the bathroom, pushing through the crowd I slipped out the side door that led out to the alley. The cool night breeze hit me hard as goosebumps lined my arms in response. Not even buzzed on alcohol, my senses were heighted to the colder air so I grasped my bare arms for warmth.

The space in the alley was small but I found it nice that no one else was out here smoking or having wild animal . It was quiet. I guess this was a good idea after all despite forgetting my jacket in the club.

I let my eyes drift shut for a few seconds so I could savor the moment but my eyes immediately opened when I heard someone curse from behind the door that I left open. Out of curiosity, I stepped away from the door so I could shut it a bit and take a look. When I peeked behind the door, I saw a shadowy figure hunched over...seemed to be looking for something?

The person must have noticed my presence, because their head whipped up and looked directly in my eyes. It was a girl...she looked maybe younger than me as she had a cute fringe with her long black hair and very fair white skin. I wonder what she is doing in the part of town that really only had hotels, bars and clubs?

“Are you going to just stare or help?”

I blinked twice at the girl, wondering if she was really talking to me, “What?”

She huffed the fringe away from her eyes, “Can’t you see I am stuck?”

I looked closer to see that her shirt was caught on the dumpster in a strange position on the sleeve that would mean she either would have to unsnag it or take off the shirt...”Oh...hold on.”

Shuffling around the open door, I made my way over to help the girl. It was a bit uncomfortable as she eyed me out while I worked on getting her clothes freed from the dumpster, “You are pretty.”

Heat immediately filled my face with the compliment, “Ah...thanks...you are umm too.” I could see her trying to hold in a smile as she shied away while I finished freeing her, “Done.”

The girl quickly moved her arm away smiling at her freedom. She was rather painfully cute as she rotated her arm around as if doing some strange dance. I tried to stifle a laugh but she caught me and stopped her actions. “Umm thanks. I thought I would be stuck there forever.”

“No worries.” I said but then we both just stood there looking at each other awkwardly before I coughed a bit, “I guess I should get back inside.”

The girl raised her eyebrows, “Oh yea...go back to your fun.”

I couldn’t contain my sarcastic laugh, “Yea...fun.”

“Oh?”

Now I looked at her quizzically, “What?”

“Doesn’t sound like you want to go back in...”

“It really isn’t my kind of place.”

“I know it might be a strange request, but do you want to ditch that place and umm maybe go somewhere that is fun with a stranger?”

I folded my arms as I eyed her out...she seemed rather harmless, “You mean to follow you?”

She gave a huge grin, “Only if you want.”

“How do I know you won’t just pull me away to kill me? Also, my friends would know if I was missing.”

The girl scratched her head, “You do have a point...oh well I thought I would ask.”

I am not sure why I panicked as she started to walk away but the words started to slip out of my mouth, “Wait...what did you have in mind?”

The girl smiled while she turned around, “Well you see...before I got stuck here, my friend was going to sneak me into the night carnival.”

“Night carnival?”

“Humm yea...you know a carnival...at night?”

I looked back at the door that led into the club before looking back at the girl who was staring at me with those piercing eyes, “I need a coat.”

I thought the girl’s smile was already beautiful but as she smiled wider and took off her extra jacket for me...I found myself out of breath, “Here, so you want to go?”

Slipping on the coat, I felt the warmth seep into my skin as if it was her arms hugging me...oh god...I can’t be falling for someone I barely know? Just cause of a jacket? Get a hold of yourself!

“Excuse me...but umm what is your name?”

I broke from my daze to look up at the girl, “What?”

“Name? Have one?”

“Oh...Jessica...my name is Jessica.”

“I am Taeyeon...nice to meet you Jessica,” Then she did it, she held out her hand for me to take, “We should go.”

As if her eyes could draw me in with a single look, I drifted towards her and took her hand as we left the club. I was thankful that night not to have worn heals with my skirt as the walk towards this carnival seemed long. We walked through alleys and under bridges as if the girl had the city mapped out in her head. Then as we rounded the next corner, the sky started to brighten. There it was, casting a golden glow into the night sky with all the lights, a carnival.  

“Assa! There it is!” Taeyeon squealed jumping up cutely. Excited, she took my hand again, “Come on Jessica!”

Holding onto her hand tightly, we both ran towards the carnival but instead of going to the main entrance, we went to a side gate where Taeyeon tapped on the gate until a head popped out, “You are late!”

The girl bowed several times, “Sorry oppa. I went to bring a friend.”

The boy eyed me up before smiling, “Well...come on in! Friend of Taeyeon is a friend of mine.”

Taeyeon went in first as I followed into the carnival, “Thanks oppa.”

“Anytime my cute Taeyeon.” The boy said with a ton of aeygo as Taeyeon giggled at the boy’s act to be cute.

“Who was that?” I was already afraid she might have a boyfriend...

“Heechul oppa? He is my best friend. Like my big brother...although not related exactly.” The girl shrugged as we walked around the carnival.

“I see.”

“Cotton candy!” The girl jumped as she noticed the vender. I couldn’t help but smile at the girl who was already paying for the sweet substance. “Want some?”

She held up a piece of the fluffy sugar urging me to eat so I ate and let it melt in my mouth.

“Good right?”

“Umm yea.” I responded as I was transfixed at the girl eating her treat with so much joy. “Taeyeon can I ask a question?”

The girl looked up at me with those big black eyes, “Sure.”

“How old are you?”

“I should be around your age.”

“I am 23...”

She nodded, “I am older but close enough.”

I was in shock, “really? You don’t look over 18!”

She laughed, “I just look very young for my age but it doesn’t matter...umm want to play some games?”

Taeyeon was already off at the closest game. Carefully I glanced over at her trying to figure out how she was my age, but the more and more I stared, I found my heart beating a little faster. What is it about her that kept drawing me in?

 “Jessica can you shoot?”

I didn’t even notice that we were at a shooting game until Taeyeon placed a plastic gun in my hands, “I never tried...”

“It is easy. Here let me show you.” Then all the blood rushed to my face as she leaned into me to show me how to hold the gun, “So you see then you aim with this and hold the trigger. Very easy.”

“....”

Taeyeon looked at me again before backing away, “I am going to shoot first then...”

I watched as she aimed and shot the gun with ease. Definitely not her first time as she cleared out all the black circle.

“Assa! Prize prize prize!” The girl jumped up and hugged the stuffed minon she received, “Jessica go! Maybe you can win something too!”

I stuck out my tongue as I closed an eyed and let the gun loose on the target. Holes littered the piece of paper, but not one hit the black circle. I could see the sorrow in Taeyeon’s eyes when I looked over at her again.

“Maybe there is another game we can try?”

The next game was to knock over the cans...again Taeyeon got a prize while I failed. After that we did another shooting game but with water guns...again she had better aim than me. Finally we played the childish game of fishing for a duck. Lucky for me, my duck had a prize while Taeyeon got a dud. Probably the only time I could beat Taeyeon in anything because it relied on zero skill.

“How are you so good at all these games?”

“I just love carnivals. Heechul lets me in every time there is one in town, but I usually come alone. It is nice having competition.”

“I wouldn’t say that I am competition. You beat me every time.”

Taeyeon smiled as she played with one of the toys in her hand, “Doesn’t matter. This is still fun.”

Just then, I spotted a photo booth. Not wanting to forget my time spent with Taeyeon, I suggested that we take a photo together, “Let’s go there!”

Taeyeon watched as I pointed out the photo booth but she resisted as I tried to pull her over, “I don’t want to.”

“Are you shy?” I giggled.

“No...just it wouldn’t turn out well. How about we get some food instead?”

Really wanting a photo with the girl, “please? It is just one photo.”

However, I regretted trying to push her because the whimsy in her eyes turned dark, “Jessica I said no.”

At the time I didn’t understand why she refused, but a time would come when I understood why she resisted, “O-ok...”

She must have not liked that she raised her voice a bit when I saw her eyes soften again, “sorry Jessica...I just don’t like photos. Do you want to get some food? Hmm?”

I eyed up Taeyeon’s pleading eyes and felt guilty for trying to make her do something she clearly didn’t want to do, “What food to you want to eat?”

I guess the girl liked food because I saw those pitiful eyes brighten up, “Funnel cake!”

I giggled because this adult was clearly a child at heart, “That isn’t food really.”

Taeyeon didn’t seem to care as she pulled out her money for the sweet treat, “If it can go in my mouth, I would say it is food.”

“A lot of things can go in your mouth...I wouldn’t say everything is food.”

Taeyeon didn’t give me any mind as she bit into the fried dough leaving a white powder mustache. The mustache hit my funny bone as I started to giggle softly. Probably curious to why I was laughing so hard, Taeyeon looked up, “What is funny?”

Pulling out a napkin from my pocket I stopped in front of her to wipe off the white powder, “Sugar mustache.”

Taeyeon remained frozen as I brushed the sweet substance from her face. As a thank you she even held up a piece of her beloved funnel cake, “W-want some?”

Of course I wanted some. Taeyeon kept making noises of enjoyment as she ate it the whole time causing me to my lips in anticipation. I was going to take the piece from her hands but as I opened up my mouth, the girl shoved the snack food in my mouth.

With that little action, both our faces were bright red. Clearly, we were very much attracted to each other. I guess who wouldn’t be attracted to this sweet girl? She was charming in her own ways.

Although I was having a great time, I let out a small yawn

“It must be late for you, are you getting tired?”

I reached in my pocket to see the time, “It is almost 3 am..why is this carnival still open?”

Taeyeon shrugged, “This one usually stays open until dawn. If you don’t mind...I ah would like to take you home.”

I didn’t want really leave Taeyeon but the heaviness bearing on my eyes would probably make me pass out in the middle of the street if I didn’t get to my bed soon, “Yea...I should get home.”

Taeyeon threw away her garbage and shoved her hands in her pocket, “What area are you from?”

“Near Hongdae.”

Taeyeon nodded, “I will get you back safely.”

I noticed the whole way back to my flat, Taeyeon was smiling happily. I couldn’t understand why she smiled so much but the girl always seemed to be a bit cheerful. Not like I am complaining though. She really has a way of brightening up the dark night sky.

We had to go around the city and wind through many streets until we finally made it to my place, “Here.”

Taeyeon looked around, “This really isn’t the best area Jessica. Are you sure?”

I laughed at the girl’s concern, “Well I am living with 3 other people because we are all a bit broke after university, but I should be moving in a year or two.” Taeyeon just nodded along as if plans of me moving away from this dreaded neighborhood was enough, “Anyway thanks for tonight Taeyeon. I hope we meet again.”

Taeyeon smiled brightly like usual, “I would like that.”

Shyly I leaned forward to give the shorter girl a kiss on the cheek, “Good night.”

I didn’t have to look back to know that Taeyeon’s face and grinning like an idiot. I really hope that fate would bring us together once again.