Ramen

Hunger

Waking up that morning I found myself smiling like an idiot. Last night felt like a dream, as if I was hypnotized into some romantic fantasy with a mysterious girl. I must have lost my mind following her like that, but every memory of last night made me so happy.

Rolling around in bed, I felt butterflies fluttering through my body with thoughts of that kiss, “Why did I do that!” I must have been red from embarrassment, “When did I get that bold?”

*buzz buzz*

Flipping to my side, I saw a stream of messages on my phone.

Jessica where did you go?

I have your jacket…

You are making us worry.

Someone said they saw you leave? Did you go home?

Are you home?

Should we call the cops?

I sighed and sent a quick message to my friends apologizing for leaving suddenly last night. That was foolish of me and I probably owe them dinner but I had no regrets. Last night was magical. I wonder if our paths will meet again?

Finally getting out of bed, I made my way to the shower and got dressed for the day.

Making my way down stairs to the kitchen, I saw my other two roommates in the kitchen making breakfast, “You came in late last night.”

I slipped onto one of the stools, “Humm I met someone at the club.”

Both roommates stopped what they were doing and rushed over by me, “Who is he? Age, occupation, and rating.”

I shoved Yoona away, “Age…not sure, occupation, not sure, rating…9?”

“Ah you ! You are picking up hotties!”

I rolled my eyes at my other roommate Tiffany, “And….it is not a he…”

Both of them were speechless, “Wow Jess.”

I covered my face in embarrassment, “I know I know…I didn’t know either but there is just something about her…”

Yoona shoved a banana in while the eggs cooked, “Tiffany like you are a saint, remember in college you had a fling with a girl.”

Tiffany threw her head back, “I was drunk. Everyone looks the same when you are drunk.”

I remember that night, “Tiffany you secretly wanted to get into Yuri’s pants, just admit it and we all know you didn’t just kiss.”

Tiffany shoved me, nearly pushing me on the floor, “How about we forget about my misadventures and you tell us more about this mysterious woman.”

“I actually don’t know much about her. I met her near the club and we went to some mysterious carnival. Did you know they come to town?”

Yoona and Tiffany shook their heads.

“Well…that is what happened and she dropped me back off here.”

Yoona flipped her eggs, “Sounds romantic. I wish someone would sweep me off my feet and do some romantic spontaneous date.”

“Next time take a picture so we can see this hottie.”

That reminded me, “She got all weird when I suggested a picture…you know at one of those picture booths.”

“Maybe she is famous?”

Tiffany’s eyebrow perked up, “Do we know her?”

I shook my head, “She didn’t seem famous. I never saw her on TV or anything like that, but Yoona is the one addicted to TV, not me.”

“Bring her over. I can tell you every show she has been on.”

“I forgot to get her number.”

Tiffany shoved me violently again, “Girl! You needed to get her number to see her again.”

“I know I know. I forgot.”

Yoona slipped the food onto several plates, “Don’t sweat it, if she is from this area, you are bound to meet again. Plus she knows where you live. Not to sound stalkerish but she does know where to find you.”

I rolled my eyes at my roommates, as if I wasn’t already looking forward to her finding me again. Even if she needed to come to my door and knock.

----------------

The weekend came and went in a flash and I was already losing hope of seeing Taeyeon again. Every night I waited near my window hoping to hear her knock but she never came. Now it was the middle of the week and I was swamped with work. This is the second night I am working overtime to get this project done, but my eyes kept on closing from exhaustion.

Knowing I couldn’t work a second longer, I closed the lid of my computer and rubbed my tired eyes. In my mind I knew that stopping earlier than I planned would cause me to work overtime tomorrow night, I groaned in frustration. I wish this project would be done so I can go back to binging some cringy romcom with Yoona during dinner.

Gathering my belongings, I got ready to leave.

“Jessica are you going already?”

I gave my coworker an apologetic look, “I can’t keep my eyes open. I will stay late again tomorrow.”

“If you wait an hour, I can walk with you home.”

Tempting offer, “Sorry but I just want to go home, I can’t work another second.”

“Okay be safe.”

“Thanks. Don’t stay too late either.” I gave her an apologetic smiled before slipping out of the office before someone else tried to bait me into staying longer.

Adjusting my purse on my shoulder, I went out into the cool night alone, hoping Yoona left some food for me to eat because I was starving after missing dinner.

“You know it is not safe walking alone at night.”

I nearly jumped out of my boots in fright until Taeyeon came out of the shadows, “W-what are you doing here?”

Taeyeon flashed a bright smile, “To you home of course.” I tried to suppress my excitement, but in that instant, my stomach growled like a beast causing Taeyeon to burst out in laughter, “Maybe ramen first?”

I gave her an apologetic smile, “Yes please.”

Taeyeon led me to a street ramen tent and ordered two bowls of miso as if she already knew my favorite flavor, “Why are  you working so late?”

I cracked open my chopsticks getting ready for my food, “Client deadline. Things get crazy around this time of year.” I nearly drooled seeing the ramen come to the table.

“That must be tough. I bet you even skipped meals.”

I could see the sympathy in Taeyeon’s eyes, “I thought it was normal to work this hard.”

Taeyeon played with her ramen for a few seconds, “I don’t want you to work too hard.”

I hid my smile behind my chopsticks, peeking up from time to time to watch her eat.

Taeyeon must have noticed because she smiled back, “Is it good?”

I nodded, “The best.”

Knowing I was enjoying my food made Taeyeon smile so big that I thought I would get blinded by her bright face, “Good.”

Coughing a little, I sipped on my water, “So umm what do you do?”

Taeyeon hummed, “You could say I made my money young. I dabble in a few things here and there.”

My eyes raised in shock, “You are rich?” I looked at her up and down, “You don’t look rich.”

Taeyeon started laughing, “I am comfortable. I worked very hard for many years to get where I am now so don’t think I am lazy.”

I never would have thought that, “No no…I mean…I am just surprised…you must have been very young to not have to work now.”

Taeyeon waved off the idea, “You could say a lot of bad things happened to make it possible. I am just living through life finding new things to make me happy now.” Taeyeon leaned forward, “Right now I find you to make me very happy.”

Just then I nearly coughed out all the ramen in my mouth in shock. I didn’t know Taeyeon could be this forward.

Handing me a tissue, “Sorry. I just wanted to be honest. I am glad I ran into you that night.”

I wiped my mouth with the tissue, “No I like that…I like that you are honest and…I think I like you too.”

Taeyeon smiled happily behind her hands before reaching into her pock to put some money on the table, “You must be tired. Can I walk you home?”

Looking down at my bowl, I didn’t even realize it was empty. It is strange that when I am with Taeyeon, time and space disappear. Suddenly I didn’t feel so tired, “Did you want to walk around first?”

Taeyeon smiled brightly, “Of course.”

Making our way back into the night, I walked beside Taeyeon as we took the long way back to my house. I hardly ever take this way back but something deep down inside of me is telling me not to let this night end.

“It is a full moon.”

I looked up to see the bright moon staring back at us, “pretty.”

Taeyeon smiled before she smoothly took my hand in hers, “yea…pretty.”

Her hands felt a little cold but I was jumping up and down inside with how happy I was holding her hand. I felt like a school girl who just confessed to their crush and they said yes.

“You said you have roommates?”

I turned to see Taeyeon looking down at the ground, “Yoona and Tiffany. We were roommates in college.”

“How are they?” Taeyeon looked up into my eyes, “are they nice?”

I giggled, “Yes. Both have a lot more energy than me but I need that little pep when I get home sometimes.”

Taeyeon adjusted her hand to hold me tighter, “It must be nice to have friends like that.”

I looked over at her curiously, “Don’t you keep in contact with your schoolmates?”

Taeyeon shook her head, “A lot of the people I loved died or lost contact with them.”

“What about that guy from the carnival?”

“I didn’t say everyone is out of my life. He is a good guy but I am sure he will move on eventually.”

“That sounds so sad.”

Taeyeon shook her head, “That is life.”

We continued to walk along the baren paths as most of the city was already sleeping, before we finally made it back to my place.

Stopping, Taeyeon let go of my hand and looked up to the darkened windows, “Everyone is sleeping.”

Opening my phone I looked at the time, “It is past midnight.”

Taeyeon shrugged, “You have work tomorrow. Sorry I kept you up so late.”

I shook my head, “No. I enjoyed it.”

Taeyeon smiled shyly as she kicked the ground, “Can I walk you home every night? I just want to make sure you get home safe.”

I giggled before handing Taeyeon my phone, but she looked up at me confused, “If you are going to walk me home, I will need your number to call you when I finish.”

Taeyeon quickly took my phone and entered a number before handing it back happily.

Smiling back at her, I wondered if it was the dreamy way the moon cast a glow over Taeyeon or the way she was beaming like the sun, but she was so beautiful in that moment, I felt the urge to kiss her. I am not sure if Taeyeon could read my mind but she stepped forward and took my hands looking up into my eyes, “Good night.” Tilting her head slightly, she placed a soft peck on my lips, “see you tomorrow.”

Although the kiss was quick, I felt my whole body fill with euphoria as I stood there like a statue, trying to savor every moment. It wasn’t until Taeyeon let go of my hands and stumbled backwards did I realize the moment was over, “y-you too.”

Even as Taeyeon disappeared back into the night, I knew she was smiling just as happily as me.