Girlfriend

Hunger

If I had to describe this week in one word, it was magical. True to her word, Taeyeon would be waiting for me at my work when I was finished. Sometimes she would bring flowers, sweets or take me on a detour through a part of the city that I didn’t know about. It was like she knew how to make the night seem more beautiful than the day. Now that it was Friday, I couldn’t wait to ask her on a real date for the weekend.

Walking down the stairs, I was nearly running down excited to see her. Like usual she was leaning against the railing near the entrance with her stunning smile, “Hi.”

I couldn’t help myself and I lunged at her giving her a huge hug, “Missed you.”

Taeyeon hugged me back, “This was unexpected.”

Grinning I looked into her sweet eyes, “I have something I want to ask you.”

Taeyeon looked genuinely surprised as she took my hands, “What is it?”

“Can I officially ask you out on a date?”

Taeyeon looked around, “I thought these were dates?”

“I don’t think this would be an official date? I love it when you walk me home but a date would be similar to the carnival.”

“So we had our first date at the carnival then?”

“No no…like a planned date. This weekend let’s go out? There is this really cute restaurant we could go to at lunch and then maybe see the cherry blossoms bloom…” I don’t know why but as I described this date I could feel the air around us grow cold and when I looked at Taeyeon, her usually cheery demeanor changed to something dark.

Giving me a sad smile, Taeyeon caressed my face, “I like meeting you like this. We don’t need some fancy date.”

“I thought it would be fun…” Suddenly I didn’t know why I felt so unsure about this idea.

“You really want to go on this date?”

“More than anything.”

Taeyeon looked down at the ground for a second until she must have had an idea, “I know something prettier than the cherry blossoms. I will take you to any fancy restaurant you want too.”

I perked up immediately, “Really?”

Taeyeon nodded, “I want to treat you well. Can I pick you up at 7pm tomorrow night?”

“Can’t we have fun during the day too?”

Taeyeon leaned forward and gave me a soft kiss, “It is worth the wait. Now let’s get you home. It is already so late.”

Obedient, I took her hand as she led me home, “Should I wear something nice tomorrow?”

Taeyeon looked at me up and down, “You are so pretty every time I see you.”

Blushing, I squeezed her hand a little tighter, “thanks…”

Taeyeon giggled, “I am only telling the truth. You are the most beautiful woman I ever met.”

“You can be so cheesy.”

“Only for you.”

We decided not to stop for dinner or any special long walk around the neighborhood because we had a date the next day. It was like we were both too excited for the night to pass just to see each other the next day. Taeyeon made me feel so many new things, but I am guessing this is the first time I have been in love.

---------------

It was nearly 7pm when the doorbell rang and I flew down the stairs to answer the door for Taeyeon. You could say I was a little excited for our first official date.

Smiling and holding a bouquet of flowers, Taeyeon gave me an audible gasp, “y-you are stunning.”

Taking the flowers I smelled them, “daisies.”

“They are my favorite flower so I thought maybe, you would like them too.”

“They are my favorite too. Come on in.”

Taeyeon stepped into my home as I put the flower in some water before grabbing my purse, “Where are your roommates?”

“I am not sure exactly. They said they were going to go out and that I should…” Keep it in my pants. Yea Taeyeon doesn’t need to know what dirty things my roommates told, “Told me to have fun. Anyway, let’s go…where are we going?”

Taeyeon took my hand, “Just follow me.”

After leaving the house we hailed a taxi to an address Taeyeon gave to the driver. It was so interesting that she knew so much about the city. Even though I have lived here most of my life, I still didn’t know anything about this city other than the public transportation to and from my work or the mall.

It was a busy weekend so we got caught in traffic as we entered the city, but I didn’t mind because Taeyeon carefully slid her hand over to mine and held it. We didn’t need any words while in the cab, just holding her hand like that told me everything. I could sense she was excited and nervous for this date like me and I think we both knew at this point, this would not be our last date together.

“That will be xxx won please.”

Taeyeon quickly reached for money from her pocket, “Keep the change.”

Holding the door open, I got out of the cab and looked around, “What is this place?”

Taeyeon reached down and took my hand, “Started in the late 1300s local farmers gathered stones to make a wall around the city of Seoul and as the years have gone by, the wall was built longer, higher and stronger by various Kings. We are here at the great Seoul Fortress Wall that used to surround our great city.” Walking further in to the path, I could finally see the stone wall lit up by thousands of lights.

“I have never been here before.”

Taeyeon smiled as we walked along the side of the wall, “I wanted to take you here at night because only at night can you see this.” Looking to where Taeyeon was pointing, I was amazed. There it was, our city lit up in beautiful lights, dazzling in the night sky, “Some say the best view would be like the sky tower but here, you can see the wall leading into the city. Like the lights are guiding you home.”

Lightly I squeezed her hand as we stared at the city, “This is the most beautiful thing I have seen in my life.”

Taeyeon giggled until she looked at me, “I don’t have to go far to see the most beautiful thing in my life.” Leaning forward she captured my lips into a slow kiss, “will you be my girlfriend?”

My heart leaped, was she really asking me that now? It was so unexpected, but of course! Of course I wanted to date her! “Yes.”

I could feel Taeyeon smiling into the kiss, “yes?”

Pecking her lips a few times, “a million times yes.”

Taeyeon pulled me into a hug, “I promise to take care of you and never hurt you.”

That seemed like a strange thing to say but I just melted into the comfort of Taeyeon’s arms. She was small but the way she held onto me like that made me feel so safe.

“I am hungry. Want to get some food?”

Naturally I took her hand, “Starving.”

Like a gentleman, Taeyeon helped me down the uneven paths and stairways until we reached the bottom of the hill and into a shopping district.  Taeyeon took us over to a night market with tents full of different street foods for us to try, “I know these foods are not healthy and fried but humans are always saying these things are so good.”

“Humans?” Did I just hear her right?

“Umm people…teenagers! Yes those kids keep saying these are tasty. What looks good to you?”

She is so cute when she gets bashful, “Should we try that over there?”

Taeyeon lead the way to the stand, “Bread?”

“Not just any bread. It is filled with different things. You see this one says kimchi and pork. It is really good.”

Pulling out her money, “One please.”

“Only one?”

“That bread is the size of my head! Unless you don’t want to share?”

I giggled thinking the bread did look about the size of Taeyeon’s head, “One is good.”

“Oh look they have soondae too! We should get some of that.”

That stuff is gross, “You know that is like made with blood right? I was always grossed out by that.”

“Ah yea…gross…the blood thing.”

. I must have said something wrong, she looks so depressed now. Jessica you should know when to shut up! “I mean not my taste. You should get it if you want it.”

“No no…it is probably gross like you said.” Taeyeon finished paying for the bread, “Should we go sit over there?”

Yes Jessica you are an idiot. I have to make this right, “Why don’t you go save us a spot while I get the bread?”

“I can wait here.”

“No no let me please.”

She looked hesitant to leave me but Taeyeon smiled and went on her way over to the tables, “One soondae too.”

The older woman smiled, “You are a nice young lady. Give the soondae a chance. You might like something you have never thought possible. Not everything is scary as it seems.”

I nodded and thanked the lady when she handed me the food before going back to Taeyeon who still seemed a little glum, “I got you a gift.”

Taeyeon perked up, “A gift?”

I placed the soondae in front of Taeyeon who immediately cheered up, “The old lady says it is pretty amazing. I thought maybe…I should try something new?”

Taeyeon scooted over, “Please sit down. Let me cut that for you.”

I watched as Taeyeon cut up the bread and the soondae. Although I was hesitant to try the blood food Taeyeon apparently loved, I knew I had to do this for her.

“Here just try a small bite. I won’t be upset if you don’t like it.”

I looked at the black piece of food in front of me, said a little prayer that I wouldn’t die before putting it in my mouth. I assumed this would taste like death, but to my surprise it wasn’t too bad. The texture was a bit unusual but if I had to describe what it tasted like…I would say a spiced sausage? Not nearly as gross as I imagined.

“You don’t like it?”

I shook my head, “Actually not too bad. It might not become my new favorite dish, but I could probably eat this again.”

“It is an acquired taste for sure.” Taeyeon happily started to eat her food, “Please have your bread.”

I bit into the bread and hummed in satisfaction, “This is so good.”

Taeyeon giggled as she devoured her soondae, “You really like that fancy bread so much? Interesting. You know bread like that would be for the poor and this soondae for the rich back in ancient times. I would say you have a more primitive palate?”

I stuck out my tongue at her, “At least I am not high maintenance your royal highness.”

“Enjoy your bread my loyal subject.”

This little brat. I shoved her shoulder playfully, “look at you acting high and mighty now that you are my girlfriend.”

“I like that…I like that part about you being my girlfriend.” Taeyeon blushed.

I blushed back, “Me too.”

After finishing our meals and Taeyeon making a detour back to my place to get ice cream, I concluded this was one of the best nights of my life. From the way Taeyeon was smiling the whole night, I assumed she had a good time too.

“I had a great time.” Correction, Taeyeon had a great time.

“Me too.” It was more like magical but Taeyeon doesn’t need to know that.

We were approaching my house marking a close to the night and I could feel Taeyeon starting to pull away from me so I held onto her a little longer, “Thanks for taking me to the wall.”

Taeyeon quickly leaned in and gave me a breathtaking goodnight kiss, “Thanks for giving me a chance to be your girlfriend. Good night.” Giving me one last kiss, she left me breathless at my front door as she disappeared into the night.